Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Top 5 Draft list for the flames

Old
11-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Flameshomer

vCash: 50
Top 5 Draft list for the flames

I was just thinking- With the flames having three balls in a potential draft scenario, and therefor a reasonable shot at a top 5 pick, What would your top 5 options in the draft be?

Right now I've got

1. Alexsander Barkov: Huge center with great hands already putting up awesome numbers in a men's league. Plays an excellent two way game. Good on the faceoff. He's got it all.
2. Seth Jones: Potential Franchise D Man turning heads in portland. Only knock ive heard is he needs a little shot work, but that can come.
3. Sean Monahan: Putting up great numbers again in another season in the OHL. Two way centre. Known for good defensive play.
4.Jonathon Drouin: Absolutely outshining Mackinnon in Halifax right now. Is a winger but has unbelievable play making ability and hockey IQ. I see him pretty similar to sven, a little more handsy and less gritty though
5. Nathan Mackinnon: Might get crucified for this, but I've heard rumblings that he's unlikely to ever play centre full time at the NHL level. That said, he's explosive, not afraid of contact, and a great scorer. I see hall out of him.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:20 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Mackinnon has to be number 1 so far, the kid is an amazing talent. You don't draft for position you draft for talent he is simply the most talented and so he is number 1.

My top 5 are

Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Monahan
Shinkaruk

HM:Lindholm(haven't seen him play at all so I can't speak for him but I have read great things about him.)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Flameshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Mackinnon has to be number 1 so far, the kid is an amazing talent. You don't draft for position you draft for talent he is simply the most talented and so he is number 1.

My top 5 are

Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Monahan
Shinkaruk

HM:Lindholm(haven't seen him play at all so I can't speak for him but I have read great things about him.)
I agree on drafting skill first, but I see my five as equally skilled. Mackinnon, after I've seen him a couple of times, doesn't have more natural skill than any of the guys ahead of him. Just my opinion though!
Good list as well. I think at this point Jones is a great option for the team as well.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
I agree on drafting skill first, but I see my five as equally skilled. Mackinnon, after I've seen him a couple of times, doesn't have more natural skill than any of the guys ahead of him. Just my opinion though!
Good list as well. I think at this point Jones is a great option for the team as well.
I generally don't like drafting defense man in the top 5 because they usually don't end up living up to the hype if we had a top 5 pick I would prefer using it on a forward but since we don't have a second round pick I could understand taking Jones.

I also disagree I think Mackinnon is the most skilled with Shinkaruk seconded but he is still small and I don't know how he will transition (Shinkaruk)

Old
11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Flameshomer

Quote:
I generally don't like drafting defense man in the top 5 because they usually don't end up living up to the hype if we had a top 5 pick I would prefer using it on a forward but since we don't have a second round pick I could understand taking Jones.

I also disagree I think Mackinnon is the most skilled with Shinkaruk seconded but he is still small and I don't know how he will transition (Shinkaruk)
I'm with you there, but realistically to me, if we can't get one of the big centres (Which I still think we need to address, with Jankowski getting lots of time on the wing in college right now) Then I'd be okay with taking Jones.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I'm with you there, but realistically to me, if we can't get one of the big centres (Which I still think we need to address, with Jankowski getting lots of time on the wing in college right now) Then I'd be okay with taking Jones.
I totally understand what you are talking about but as I said I like to try and draft purely on talent and likelihood to succeed and try to forget about team need but if we can end up with any of those 5 it will be a great draft.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:18 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Mine is entirely going off of need:

1. Sean Monahan - Kid just oozes skill, and more importantly leadership. Reminds me so, so much of Toews and I think he is destined to be a #1C captain kind of player. I love Bart, but if we landed Monahan I can bet you hes the captain of this team in 5 years.

2. Alexander Barkov - Flashy yet big Center who would look deadly with Bartschi on his wing. Maybe the most skilled player in the draft, and would be a great solution to our center woes.

3. Nathan Mackinnon - Intuition, and scouts are leaning towards him transitioning to wing by the time he hits the NHL. Wing is probably one of the few spots we aren't hurting too bad so not ideal. Make no mistake though, hes a #1 Overall talent and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat, center or not.

4. Ryan Pulock - Not the highest rated Defender in the draft but he is one of my favorites moving forward. Reminds me a lot of Dougie Hamilton but Pulock also has those same great leadership qualities that I see in Monahan. We lack a true #1D prospect and although Jones is rated higher if I had to pick one today I take Pulock.

5. Elias Lindhom - Gaining comparisons to Backstrom of the Capitals, a riser in this draft much like the Svenstational Bartschi. Can play C and Wing, a versatile player with fantastic hands. We need high end skill players and this guy in my opinion is only behind Mackinnon, Monahan and Barkov in that "elite" top end skill set.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:25 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Mine is entirely going off of need:

1. Sean Monahan - Kid just oozes skill, and more importantly leadership. Reminds me so, so much of Toews and I think he is destined to be a #1C captain kind of player. I love Bart, but if we landed Monahan I can bet you hes the captain of this team in 5 years.

2. Alexander Barkov - Flashy yet big Center who would look deadly with Bartschi on his wing. Maybe the most skilled player in the draft, and would be a great solution to our center woes.

3. Nathan Mackinnon - Intuition, and scouts are leaning towards him transitioning to wing by the time he hits the NHL. Wing is probably one of the few spots we aren't hurting too bad so not ideal. Make no mistake though, hes a #1 Overall talent and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat, center or not.

4. Ryan Pulock - Not the highest rated Defender in the draft but he is one of my favorites moving forward. Reminds me a lot of Dougie Hamilton but Pulock also has those same great leadership qualities that I see in Monahan. We lack a true #1D prospect and although Jones is rated higher if I had to pick one today I take Pulock.

5. Elias Lindhom - Gaining comparisons to Backstrom of the Capitals, a riser in this draft much like the Svenstational Bartschi. Can play C and Wing, a versatile player with fantastic hands. We need high end skill players and this guy in my opinion is only behind Mackinnon, Monahan and Barkov in that "elite" top end skill set.
Honest question would you have taken Galy over Yakupov?

Old
11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

You take the BPA. That's Jones imo.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:31 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Honest question would you have taken Galy over Yakupov?
In general or for the Flames?

I dunno, I like Gally a lot but his injury history at the time of the draft made me wary.

I also really like Yakupov, pisses me off that hes an Oiler because he might be the next Bure.

I think I would have taken Yakupov, but I know we need a center more. His scoring talent is too hard to pass up.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
In general or for the Flames?

I dunno, I like Gally a lot but his injury history at the time of the draft made me wary.

I also really like Yakupov, pisses me off that hes an Oiler because he might be the next Bure.

I think I would have taken Yakupov, but I know we need a center more. His scoring talent is too hard to pass up.
In my opinion there is a big gap between the two so I wondered at what point skill over toke need that is all.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:35 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
In my opinion there is a big gap between the two so I wondered at what point skill over toke need that is all.
I see what you're saying.

For me Mackinnon-Monahan-Barkov are all super close talent wise, I don't see a clear cut winner between the three of them. So that maybe explains my ranking of them.

I also, am not sold on Jones. Like, at all. Watched him play 3 times and I just didn't see what the scouts see in him I guess. He played well but I didn't see him as being a "special player" or anything like that.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

For me Mackinnon-Monahan-Barkov are all super close talent wise, I don't see a clear cut winner between the three of them. So that maybe explains my ranking of them.

I also, am not sold on Jones. Like, at all. Watched him play 3 times and I just didn't see what the scouts see in him I guess. He played well but I didn't see him as being a "special player" or anything like that.
I think Mackinnon is the most skilled and would take him easily first, I also haven't seen anything special from Jones but I haven't seen him enough to say he is over hyped.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Flameshomer

Quote:

I agree on your skill assesment, minus the jones part, I've seen him play twice and thought he looked awesome each time he played. No defensive mistakes and was a key player on Offence. Great stride too. I would much rather take one of the other three first though.

Particularly for me, it's Barkov. I think he's got Malkin-like abilities (probably not quite on that level, but as a very young 17 year old, he's over a PPG in a men's league) , and he's the youngest player in this draft. I agree with the monahan- toews comparison as well, but I think Barkov is a little step up from that, just on his larger frame alone.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:52 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I agree on your skill assesment, minus the jones part, I've seen him play twice and thought he looked awesome each time he played. No defensive mistakes and was a key player on Offence. Great stride too. I would much rather take one of the other three first though.

Particularly for me, it's Barkov. I think he's got Malkin-like abilities (probably not quite on that level, but as a very young 17 year old, he's over a PPG in a men's league) , and he's the youngest player in this draft. I agree with the monahan- toews comparison as well, but I think Barkov is a little step up from that, just on his larger frame alone.
I found Jones relied on his build a little too much, he was solid all around I dunno, I was just expecting more out of him I guess.

Totally agree with your Barkov/Monahan comparison. I just think Monahan would be a perfect fit for the Flames.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:15 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
I still take Mckinnon but Drouin is unreal with his vision and Hands. Then i take Mohanan as the next Toews.

Barkov i havent seen play yet much.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Rolen
sick

Mackinnon
Lindholm
Barkov
Monahan
Jones

I absolutely love Lindholm and think he will become one of the best players of this draft. I don't think much of Jones for some reason, he just doesn't scream stardom like the rest of the players do. I also don't like the thought of taking a D-man with so many other options that high in a draft.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Ashasx

1. Nathan MacKinnon - He would be a perfect complement to Baertschi's game. The scorer for the playmaker. If you have the first pick, you don't pass up the franchise centre that this team has needed for 20 years. The best skater in the draft, strong lower body, a player the opposition hates to play against. Right now, if the Flames had the first pick, MacKinnon is the easy choice and I'd feel no regret.

2. Seth Jones - Obviously the top defender in the draft and the closest competition to MacKinnon. He's dominant, no doubt, but there always seems to be a risk in taking a defenceman first overall. He's shown that he has the potential to be a top defenceman in the NHL, but will he end up as a Chris Pronger type, or closer to somebody like Bouwmeester? Both are good players, but one I wouldn't use a top 2 pick on one...

3. Sasha Barkov - May have the easiest transition to the NHL of all draft eligible players. He's a man amongst men in the Finnish league. Gritty and willing to go to the dirty areas, and still developing. He seems to be a lock to be at least a 60 point player, but I think he lacks some of the skills the other players in the top 5 have, which may limit his overall upside.

4. Sean Monahan - Maybe the best two-way centre in the draft. Putting up great numbers on a mediocre team, he can do everything the coach asks of him. Hard to pass up when you are getting compared to Toews, though he may never be an offensive juggernaut.

5. Elias Lindholm - I'll admit I don't know much about Lindholm, so I'm just basing this ranking around what I've read about him. Another centre in an unbelievably centre-deep draft. Though, after Erixon, I'm a little reluctant to draft Swedes.

And even though only the top 5 was asked for, I'll do one more.

6 Jonathan Drouin - He's been called the best passer in the draft, the player with the best vision and IQ. Hard to pass that up, but I think if this franchise gets a top 5 pick, it has to be used on the 4 centres or the defenceman I've listed above. We have Sven slotted on the left wing already, and while he's far from a lock to be a top 2 winger, we need the most help at centre and defence. I would never be disappointed if we ended up with Drouin of course, but I think the 5 players I've listed above him will be more valuable pieces.

-

What a draft this is becoming. It's unfortunate that we'll probably be picking after 25.

Last edited by Ashasx: 11-22-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:10 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
1. Nathan MacKinnon - He would be a perfect complement to Baertschi's game. The scorer for the playmaker. If you have the first pick, you don't pass up the franchise centre that this team has needed for 20 years. The best skater in the draft, strong lower body, a player the opposition hates to play against. Right now, if the Flames had the first pick, MacKinnon is the easy choice and I'd feel no regret.

2. Seth Jones - Obviously the top defender in the draft and the closest competition to MacKinnon. He's dominant, no doubt, but there always seems to be a risk in taking a defenceman first overall. He's shown that he has the potential to be a top defenceman in the NHL, but will he end up as a Chris Pronger type, or closer to somebody like Bouwmeester? Both are good players, but one I wouldn't use a top 2 pick on one...

3. Sasha Barkov - May have the easiest transition to the NHL of all draft eligible players. He's a man amongst men in the Finnish league. Gritty and willing to go to the dirty areas, and still developing. He seems to be a lock to be at least a 60 point player, but I think he lacks some of the skills the other players in the top 5 have, which may limit his overall upside.

4. Sean Monahan - Maybe the best two-way centre in the draft. Putting up great numbers on a mediocre team, he can do everything the coach asks of him. Hard to pass up when you are getting compared to Toews, though he may never be an offensive juggernaut.

5. Elias Lindholm - I'll admit I don't know much about Lindholm, so I'm just basing this ranking around what I've read about him. Another centre in an unbelievably centre-deep draft. Though, after Erixon, I'm a little reluctant to draft Swedes.

And even though only the top 5 was asked for, I'll do one more.

6 Jonathan Drouin - He's been called the best passer in the draft, the player with the best vision and IQ. Hard to pass that up, but I think if this franchise gets a top 5 pick, it has to be used on the 4 centres or the defenceman I've listed above. We have Sven slotted on the left wing already, and while he's far from a lock to be a top 2 winger, we need the most help at centre and defence. I would never be disappointed if we ended up with Drouin of course, but I think the 5 players I've listed above him will be more valuable pieces.

-

What a draft this is becoming. It's unfortunate that we'll probably be picking after 25.
Not sure if serious?

Old
11-22-2012, 06:11 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Not sure if serious?
The draft lottery is rigged.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Not sure if serious?
Gut feeling. We may very well pick 30th.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
With no season it would be very very unlucky to pick that late and with a season I would be more than happy to pick 30th

Old
11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
How? We would have all three balls for the lottery.

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
How? We would have all three balls for the lottery.
It's still possible. In 2005, Montreal had 1 ball yet picked 5th, and Calgary with 2 balls picked 26th. I believe the Caps had 2 balls and picked 27th.

I'd say it's more than possible, in fact it's probably likely that a team or two that doesn't need a high draft pick will pick top 5, while a team or two that could certainly use the help will pick after 25.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

I would take Barkov for sure.

You're talking about a 17 year old kid that's 6'2", 205lbs with the potential of still growing bigger, putting up PPG, playing 20 minutes a night including top PP AND PK minutes against NHL players and grown men in the SM-liiga putting up more points than the likes of Erik Karlsson and Valtteri Filppula. Not to mention his already polished defensive game and solid yet effective power style kind of play that will translate over to the smaller rinks in NA even better.

by the season's end he will be challenging Mackinnon and Jones for the #1 pick. If it were up to me I would take Barkov because he can step into a NHL role and be effective

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote