HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

NHL vs. NHLPA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2012, 11:48 PM
  #201
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 50
Players like Erik Cole, Brandon Prust, and Ian White aren't exactly helping the PA image with their personal attacks on Bettman.

So much for 'professional' hockey players. I'm glad Flames players aren't saying anything publicly.

I honestly don't care if the entire season is locked out. Makes it tons easier to focus on school and I have time/money for other things.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
  #202
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Players like Erik Cole, Brandon Prust, and Ian White aren't exactly helping the PA image with their personal attacks on Bettman.

So much for 'professional' hockey players. I'm glad Flames players aren't saying anything publicly.

I honestly don't care if the entire season is locked out. Makes it tons easier to focus on school and I have time/money for other things.
This. I actually still lots of respect for the Flames. People like Cole, Crosby, Prust I have lost a lot of respect for.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:43 AM
  #203
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 50
Crosby hasn't personally attacked anyone at least. Now all the players are out calling Roman Hamrlik saying that he's selfish and should just stay in the Czech Republic. He spoke out against Fehr and the union (nothing personal, he felt the PA is holding up a deal) and that's his right as a player to question the people representing him. What a bunch of man-children.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
  #204
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Crosby hasn't personally attacked anyone at least. Now all the players are out calling Roman Hamrlik saying that he's selfish and should just stay in the Czech Republic. He spoke out against Fehr and the union (nothing personal, he felt the PA is holding up a deal) and that's his right as a player to question the people representing him. What a bunch of man-children.
I can't find the link but Jagr did an interview about a month ago and it was very interesting. He owns a team in Finland so he was able to see both sides of the argument. The players are upset to not be playing (and getting paid) and who can blame them. But they have to try and conduct themselves in a respectable manner of they will only hurt themselves.


But I must say Eric Cole sounds like a ****ing idiot talking about the fact that this lockout is a way to make sure the future kids get what they deserve when they are being offered 50-50 and it isn't good enough.


Last edited by TheHudlinator: 11-22-2012 at 11:23 AM.
TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:25 PM
  #205
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Players like Erik Cole, Brandon Prust, and Ian White aren't exactly helping the PA image with their personal attacks on Bettman.

So much for 'professional' hockey players.
Wings executive, Devallano, referred to the players as 'cattle'. He's not exactly helping the owners image, now is he?

So much for a "professional" league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Crosby hasn't personally attacked anyone at least. Now all the players are out calling Roman Hamrlik saying that he's selfish and should just stay in the Czech Republic. He spoke out against Fehr and the union (nothing personal, he felt the PA is holding up a deal) and that's his right as a player to question the people representing him. What a bunch of man-children.
Devallano was just speaking his mind when he called the players farm animals. What's with Bettman fining him a quarter of a million dollars for that?

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:27 PM
  #206
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Wings executive, Devallano, referred to the players as 'cattle'. He's not exactly helping the owners image, now is he?

So much for a "professional" league.



Devallano was just speaking his mind when he called the players farm animals. What's with Bettman fining him a quarter of a million dollars for that?
You just proved why the leagues image looks more professional because they don't stand for people on "their" said talking badly about the other side meanwhile many players have lined up to take shots at owners.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
  #207
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You just proved why the leagues image looks more professional because they don't stand for people on "their" said talking badly about the other side meanwhile many players have lined up to take shots at owners.
Devallano wasn't fined for calling the players 'cattle,' he was fined for speaking about the CBA process.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:40 PM
  #208
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Devallano wasn't fined for calling the players 'cattle,' he was fined for speaking about the CBA process.
My bad I thought he was fined for both.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:45 PM
  #209
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
I am so tired of this lockout, every time it looks slightly better it ends up bleaker then it started.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:29 PM
  #210
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 50
Those shenanigans by the PA last night were disgusting. And the ignorance when the media tracks down players is amazing, they keep saying the owners aren't giving them anything even though they just handed them $300 million to honour existing contracts.

The players are either idiots, fools, or both. Surely there must be some players with common sense who will stand up to the hardline players who are most actively involved in the negotiations.

They are throwing it all away for the 5% of players who have UFA contracts over 5 years.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
  #211
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Those shenanigans by the PA last night were disgusting. And the ignorance when the media tracks down players is amazing, they keep saying the owners aren't giving them anything even though they just handed them $300 million to honour existing contracts.

The players are either idiots, fools, or both. Surely there must be some players with common sense who will stand up to the hardline players who are most actively involved in the negotiations.

They are throwing it all away for the 5% of players who have UFA contracts over 5 years.
I believe Roman Hamrlik called out Fehr and the union a while back for being useless and just losing money and he was roasted in the media by other players for it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
  #212
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I believe Roman Hamrlik called out Fehr and the union a while back for being useless and just losing money and he was roasted in the media by other players for it.
Some of these players have this ridiculous working class hero complex. The I think guys like Brandon Prust think they're fighting for the rights of Ohio coal miners in the 70s, not obscenely wealthy jocks who get paid as much as the top CEOs in Canada. It's just sickening how out of touch some of these guys are. And the ones who aren't in touch seem to be just plain misinformed, look at quotes by Ovechkin and the Sedins today.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
  #213
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Some of these players have this ridiculous working class hero complex. The I think guys like Brandon Prust think they're fighting for the rights of Ohio coal miners in the 70s, not obscenely wealthy jocks who get paid as much as the top CEOs in Canada. It's just sickening how out of touch some of these guys are. And the ones who aren't in touch seem to be just plain misinformed, look at quotes by Ovechkin and the Sedins today.
What did the Twin's say I haven't seen it? I don't understand why the players had to have Fehr in the room it sounded like they were close then they tried to force Fehr into the negotiations and it was ruined.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
  #214
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
What did the Twin's say I haven't seen it? I don't understand why the players had to have Fehr in the room it sounded like they were close then they tried to force Fehr into the negotiations and it was ruined.
That the NHL has given nothing and just wants to keep taking from them.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
  #215
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
That the NHL has given nothing and just wants to keep taking from them.
So they same thing many top players have said then?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
  #216
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
So they same thing many top players have said then?
Yeah basically, even though two days ago they were offered $300 in make whole. I'm just so sick of hearing that, they are treating so much money like it's nothing and they are entitled to even more.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:53 PM
  #217
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Yeah basically, even though two days ago they were offered $300 in make whole. I'm just so sick of hearing that, they are treating so much money like it's nothing and they are entitled to even more.
I honestly don't think they understand the offer they are getting, they listen to Fehr and believe 100% what he says and he seems convinced to want the cap to be so large it is effectively useless.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
  #218
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I honestly don't think they understand the offer they are getting, they listen to Fehr and believe 100% what he says and he seems convinced to want the cap to be so large it is effectively useless.
Yeah absolutely, notice how talks were going so well when the players were talking to the owners in person, but when things get filtered through Fehr they are all back to being hardliners again.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
  #219
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Yeah absolutely, notice how talks were going so well when the players were talking to the owners in person, but when things get filtered through Fehr they are all back to being hardliners again.
It's easy to understand tho as many of them never went to college and of those did I don't very few took Business or Math so when they hear Fehr say they deserve so much more money they can't help but believe it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:05 PM
  #220
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
It's easy to understand tho as many of them never went to college and of those did I don't very few took Business or Math so when they hear Fehr say they deserve so much more money they can't help but believe it.
I understand it, doesn't make it any less stupid. Guys like Upshall going on twitter and saying things like "Oh, the owners are going to need a partner in January!"... no they aren't dumbass, they will just cancel the season and you can enjoy your job at Wendys.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:07 PM
  #221
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I understand it, doesn't make it any less stupid. Guys like Upshall going on twitter and saying things like "Oh, the owners are going to need a partner in January!"... no they aren't dumbass, they will just cancel the season and you can enjoy your job at Wendys.
Yea I agree, the players play the PR pretty well but aren't doing them selves any favors by constantly calling out the owners, especially when the owners never tried to take any other their currently contracted money.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
  #222
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 177
Just cancel this already and the whiners can all play somewhere else. The players remind me of young kids who feel the world owes them everthing.

If the AHL games were all televised I'd be happy enough with that.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:25 PM
  #223
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,550
vCash: 50
Bettman has had 3 lockouts under his watch and is on the verge of his losing another full season (that's mind blowing). Yes he has the owners best interests in mind and he's decent at what he does, but his track record is horrible in regards to work stoppages which does no good for the game at all and I think he needs to go as the players do not respect him.

I really do not think Fehr is totally to blame. His job is not to gouge for the owners for every dime, his job is to relay what the numbers will mean to the players in terms of dollars. If he's trying to persuade them for selfish reasons he should be fired to.

At this point, I believe the owners have come the furthest in terms of giving up the most. Both sides need to share blame here and as a fan I am disgusted at everyone by what has transpired. However, if the NHL is saying they have no more room to move and mean it, the players really do not have much of a choice then do they? Unless the players make the next significant move next the season will be completely lost and I have my doubts as to whether I'll come back to support them next year. I have no interest in supporting a bunch of greedy primadona's that do not care about the hands that feed them.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:46 PM
  #224
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 152
Donald Fehr had the opportunity yesterday to all but end this lockout. Instead he chose to mock the intelligence of the fans and the owners by knowingly promoting unwarranted optimism. His hard line stance on every single issue is infuriating to everyone involved.

Like I said at the start of this thread, both sides are at fault. With that said I truly believe we would be playing hockey right now if it was not for Donald Fehr.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:38 AM
  #225
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Bettman has had 3 lockouts under his watch and is on the verge of his losing another full season (that's mind blowing). Yes he has the owners best interests in mind and he's decent at what he does, but his track record is horrible in regards to work stoppages which does no good for the game at all and I think he needs to go as the players do not respect him.

I really do not think Fehr is totally to blame. His job is not to gouge for the owners for every dime, his job is to relay what the numbers will mean to the players in terms of dollars. If he's trying to persuade them for selfish reasons he should be fired to.

At this point, I believe the owners have come the furthest in terms of giving up the most. Both sides need to share blame here and as a fan I am disgusted at everyone by what has transpired. However, if the NHL is saying they have no more room to move and mean it, the players really do not have much of a choice then do they? Unless the players make the next significant move next the season will be completely lost and I have my doubts as to whether I'll come back to support them next year. I have no interest in supporting a bunch of greedy primadona's that do not care about the hands that feed them.
You do realize that under Bettman the league has grown to a multi billion dollar a year league, he was the one that took the risk to leave espn for NBC after espn offered the nhl peanuts to play behind poker and that lead to a large increase in viewership in the usa, he saved several canadian teams that are now some of the largest money makers in the league.

It takes two to negotiate but you are solely blaming Bettman? Have you seen what the players are asking this time because they change every week to say he is decent at his job is a slap in the fact the game has grown leaps and bounds under him and became a popular sport in NA.

His job is not to gain the respect of the players but to manager the league the way its owner's want it to be managed if the players are to childish to negation with someone they don't like then they are really the ones who are doing harm to the game. This past week the Pa and the league made a deal to have no Bettman and no Fehr the PA broke that and now that is Bettman's fault to not have a deal? It is easy to say get a deal done but when the players complain to the media constantly about false facts and try to break deals its hard to trust them.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.