HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 09:03 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You mean like, when we were still in the off-season and some of the Toronto fans were saying that Rielly was surpassing the other defensemen in the draft? How is that over-hyping him indeed? Or during the Super Series when he'd pretty much touch the puck, and the announcer would gush all over the place. You still haven't answered my question though. How is saying I think he is being a bit over-hyped a lack of impartiality? I haven't seen a lot of negativity surrounding Rielly(really, almost nothing at all), except by those saying some of the attention is getting ridiculous... but for some reason that seems to be some grave insult.

Letang and Keith might be possible, but keep in mind that Keith is a Norris-winner, and Letang is one of the best young defensemen in the league. At the same time, how many scoffed when Brian Campbell was mentioned?
Most Leaf fans were talking about the possibility of Rielly passing all other dman in that draft. Considering he went 5th overall while missing more than half the season, is that not a possibility? An objective person would say it is.

And Bobby Mac is suffering from the hype? How does a few comments on that constitute drinking the kool-aid, so to speak? Heaven forbid the Leafs actually grabbed a player that actually lives up to the hype so far.

Is that not possible? His skating looks incredible and the ability to jump in the play is fantastic.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

What I want to know are the implications of a training camp invite for Rielly. Is that permissible on this Morgan Rielly-centric forum?

Should he make the cut, would the Leafs be obligated to keep him on the roster, or can they burn a year of his ELC and park him in the A if he needs time?

Old
11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
How is he being over-hyped? The consensus upside from leaf fans seems to be a Letang/Keith type player, I don't think that's too unrealistic of an upside projection all things considered? Is that too much hype from Leaf fans? What exactly did Bobby Mac say that would mean he's bought into the hype?
Some fans were offended at people suggesting hes comparable to Brian Campbell who is a number 1 dman that puts up around 50 points a year and isnt a defensive liability..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
If some Leafs fans were over hyping Rielly how is that any different then the Bruins fans who call Dougie Hamilton a future franchise Defensman and possible Norris Trohpy winner. Forgetting about the fact that Hamilton was selected in 2011 and Rielly was selected in 2012, shouldn't we judge either of them until we can see what they can do at the NHL level?
Difference is, Hamilton was the top OHL dman last year and absolutely tore the league up before Hamilton got the hype. Rielly was "better" than Murray after the summer series against Russia, after hes played about 40 junior games. Sample size is the difference.

And I know Rielly has number 1 offensive dman upside, but hes not exactly setting the world on fire this year offensively. I know his team is bad and everything but 21 points in 24 games doesnt deserve the hype of 72 points in 50 games and a good world junior last year.

Not all leaf fans are overhyping but if the only comparables that youre willing to accept are guys like Keith a norris winner and Letang one of the top young D in the league, youre setting expectation way too high and need to tone it down a bit

Old
11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The second game he was horrid defensively but stellar offensively
True enough he did have a subpar second game compared to the first

Old
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
I know, but he ran into a net... That was my point. Im well aware it wasn't a concussion but pretty sure he hit his head regardless

You can dodge the purpose of my post in reminding us all gently that typically defenseman stay in front of the net not behind it
However by your logic, no dman ever should join the rush.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:40 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Because I'm not entitled to an opinion? I'm not allowed to think that Rielly is a great prospect, but he's being over-hyped? I'm not sure you understand what the word "impartial" means, if being impartial means I have to think he's the best thing since peanut butter and jelly.
nothing compares to PB&J, except maybe grilled cheese,

Old
11-22-2012, 11:59 AM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Some fans were offended at people suggesting hes comparable to Brian Campbell who is a number 1 dman that puts up around 50 points a year and isnt a defensive liability..

Difference is, Hamilton was the top OHL dman last year and absolutely tore the league up before Hamilton got the hype. Rielly was "better" than Murray after the summer series against Russia, after hes played about 40 junior games. Sample size is the difference.

And I know Rielly has number 1 offensive dman upside, but hes not exactly setting the world on fire this year offensively. I know his team is bad and everything but 21 points in 24 games doesnt deserve the hype of 72 points in 50 games and a good world junior last year.

Not all leaf fans are overhyping but if the only comparables that youre willing to accept are guys like Keith a norris winner and Letang one of the top young D in the league, youre setting expectation way too high and need to tone it down a bit
Pretty good odd's that if Rielly had the surrounding players the Hamilton did last season he would have a hell of a lot more then 21 points.....

Old
11-22-2012, 12:44 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I agree with everything but the bold. That's exactly what this thread is for. It includes Rielly, is tied to Rielly and his future, so why can't it be talked about?
Because we are here to discuss players, not the fans who follow those players or the teams for which they play. That's why. If you want to discuss one another take it to PM. No one cares about the pissing match between fan bases, and no one cares about the "woe-is-unto-me" attitude displayed by some. Talk about the player, or leave. Those are the options. If anyone has a problem with that they need to PM me or another mod. Do not reply to this in the thread.

(And if that seemed harsh, it was directed towards everyone. I just quoted you, Finnish, because you asked the question. I think everyone needs the explanation at this point...)

11-22-2012, 01:38 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I agree with everything but the bold. That's exactly what this thread is for. It includes Rielly, is tied to Rielly and his future, so why can't it be talked about?
You can talk about what he means to the future of the Leafs as an NHL team. That's entirely within bounds. As TMI said, and I said before, this is about Morgan Rielly the player and the Toronto Maple Leafs themselves. The fans as an entity do not need to enter in to the equation.

What's not within bounds is this non-Leaf fans using it to launch into "typical leafs fans overrating their own prospects to feel better about their team's future." or "If Rielly was on any other team, he wouldn't get the attention he does because it's all about placating Leaf fans." and Leaf fan responses of "people are only bashing Rielly because he's a Leaf prospect" and "typical HF, underrating a Leaf prospect because he's a Leaf prospect."

HF's flaming rules disallow attacking groups just the same as individuals. And that includes fanbases.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-22-2012, 02:48 PM
habsfanatics

Count me in as one who is buying the hype. Morgan Rielly will be a star.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:04 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
Pretty good odd's that if Rielly had the surrounding players the Hamilton did last season he would have a hell of a lot more then 21 points.....
Yeah pretty good chance, but regardless he hasnt done it. For the hype hes gettng he should be putting up more points regardless of surroundings.

The what if game doesnt work. Dougie is just as responsible for his cast getting points as they are for him

Old
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
How good were the guys he played with in the WHL/Russia series?

Old
11-22-2012, 04:19 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

This couldn't be further from the truth. The second he was drafted, "Franchise player" was touted. You're wrong.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 11-22-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old
11-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Yeah pretty good chance, but regardless he hasnt done it. For the hype hes gettng he should be putting up more points regardless of surroundings.

The what if game doesnt work. Dougie is just as responsible for his cast getting points as they are for him
Brett Ritchie and Ryan Strome are a far cry away from Sam Fioretti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
How good were the guys he played with in the WHL/Russia series?
How good was Makarov in that game? I hear he's a pretty decent goaltender. Besides, with the offence the OHL usually has in these games, 2-1 doesn't seem like much of an offensive blowout either.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Edbleafs

wow so many love to Morgan Rielly

Old
11-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Hard to imagine Rielly not outscoring Hamilton in the NHL after 10 minutes of watching each play. Don't even need the stat sheet. None of this is written in stone.

Both have NHL tools but one has them in a combination much more likely to produce bigger numbers.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Edbleafs

talk the talk whatever the whatever

let them play in the NHL then judge right now all talk is b*cr@p

Old
11-22-2012, 05:40 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbleafs View Post
talk the talk whatever the whatever

let them play in the NHL then judge right now all talk is b*cr@p
u heard it from edblearfs, prospects aren't in nhl why bother talking now,

also, since there isn't any nhl lets just close down the HF forums....

not serious, Edbleafs watch him tmrw on Sportsnet and see for urself.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...-Morgan-Rielly

More love to Morgan Rielly. This kid handles the pressure so well. He should do really well on the international stage.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Note to self: Don't go on Rielly thread anymore.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:38 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
This.

It's a shame to look at what it's become ever since I started it two years ago.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:11 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
It's all the fun of a trip to the dentist.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
This.

It's a shame to look at what it's become ever since I started it two years ago.
Well he was drafted by the leafs after all. This was to he expected. Started off okay after the draft but went downhill after people came in saying he was overhyped or just came in to start arguments then leaf fans argue back and it all causes a big mess.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Well he was drafted by the leafs after all. This was to he expected. Started off okay after the draft but went downhill after people came in saying he was overhyped or just came in to start arguments then leaf fans argue back and it all causes a big mess.
being a neutral fan, the leafs fans bring alot of this on themselves.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:30 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Cause hamiltons team last year wasn't light years beyond what Reilly's team is this year? Come on rielly is working alone compared to hamiltons star studded line up

Closed Thread