HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 01:52 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
But it's lowered, because of the numerous students/youth having minimum salry job while not working in their ''real'' future job.
That study was for men in their 30s.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Median wage is the more relevant statistic, as it is not effected by a few hundred people making mine figures.
One without the other doesn't tell me much.

1, 1, 1, 10, 11, 12, 13

Median, 10
Mean, 7

6, 7, 8 , 9, 10, 11, 12

Median, 9
Mean, 9

Reason I bring it up is while median is important, what about min wages going up that don't change the median? I mean, context is important.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Forsead

Quote:
That study was for men in their 30s.
So it's not representative, the society has changed, womens are working more and more, they also create more competition.

You have to take a whole population to come and say that working conditions are decreasing.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:02 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Gary Betaman is the one who decided to impose the lockout
Correct.

Quote:
, but the PA doesn't negociate.
Incorrect. Anything other than accepting the Owner's proposals passes for "not negociating" around these parts. Literally, you can see that basic message in some of these geniuses posts.

Quote:
In the end, either he's fired, Buttman's fired or there's a new league.
Actually, no one's getting fired, and we'll still have the NHL.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:03 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
No, I don't think you are...

In a population, let say 1 million, the median would be the salary of the 500 000th person better paid.

If there is 100 000 student earning minimum salary (then again fiction). The median salary will be lower than it should be. Also, It doesn't have the higher paid peoples to ajust the number more to the reality.

Edit : sorry didn't saw you edit.
Yup, had a brain shart. It happens.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
It the strike took place just before the playoffs they would be eligible for the majority of their contracts. It is the playoffs where the league makes money and that money helps to pay the regular season salaries. The players make minimal money compared to the regular season and striking just before the playoffs would give the NHLPA all of the leverage.

That would be the incentive for a strike at that time.
I actually read through the part of the CBA relating to playoff revenue and HRR split recently... unless I'm reading it wrong, players were getting the same 57% of playoff revenue that they were getting from regular season HRR. The notion of players making their money during the regular season and teams making theirs during the playoffs is pre-cost certainty.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You're not only one. Prust's "ruining a nation" comment was laughable.
That's the exact one that prompted that comment

Old
11-22-2012, 02:20 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
One without the other doesn't tell me much.

1, 1, 1, 10, 11, 12, 13

Median, 10
Mean, 7

6, 7, 8 , 9, 10, 11, 12

Median, 9
Mean, 9

Reason I bring it up is while median is important, what about min wages going up that don't change the median? I mean, context is important.
It is common knowledge that the direction of the skew is toward higher incomes, and not lower incomes as in your example. The correct list a lot more like is 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2 2,2,7,89, where the mean is substantially higher than the median.

It is also common knowledge that minimum wage has collapsed in real terms, over the decades.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe
"Iíve been in the league for 20 years, faced three lockouts.Only 14 guys have done that. Iíve earned right to say what I think."R.Hamrlik
Finally, somebody from the players actually makes an intelligent comment about the lockout. I would also love to hear from Don Cherry on the topic of Canadian Players going to Europe during the lockout and taking away the jobs of those visor wearing good european boys.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:28 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Amen.
Quote:
"Iíve been in the league for 20 years, faced three lockouts.Only 14 guys have done that. Iíve earned right to say what I think."R.Hamrlik
Everyone has a right to express their opinion.

However, everyone else also has the right to respond to that opinion should it be expressed. Hamrlik should expect backlash from the rest of the union.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:39 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post

However, everyone else also has the right to respond to that opinion should it be expressed. Hamrlik should expect backlash from the rest of the union.
That's quite true, except voicing your opinion != threats. In a good relationship with a union also you don't expect a complete redneck backlash, unless you are indeed in a redneck union. Maybe decertification is what is needed

Old
11-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Sure, but to get your integrity questioned is something else.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Which is something that often happens in this board.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That's quite true, except voicing your opinion != threats. In a good relationship with a union also you don't expect a complete redneck backlash, unless you are indeed in a redneck union. Maybe decertification is what is needed
Hey with decertification Montreal could offer top dollar to all those great french players that are dying to come home.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Finally, somebody from the players actually makes an intelligent comment about the lockout. I would also love to hear from Don Cherry on the topic of Canadian Players going to Europe during the lockout and taking away the jobs of those visor wearing good european boys.
Nothing wrong with taking another job if you are locked out.

Some of you do not get the difference between a lockout,and a strike... Yet the same people call the players uneducated... LOL.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:51 PM
DAChampion

Of Nilson came out and publicly undermined bettman he would receive vastly more reprimands than what happened to Hamrlik, and not one of you free speech trolls would be criticizing Bettman.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The same thing happened in Wisconsin when governor Walker attacked unions to give tax cuts to the Koch brothers.

Lots of people complained that teachers make $70000\year for an easy, fun job. Those same people did not have a problem with the wealth of those who would benefit from the cuts.
You can't seriously believe the NHLPA and sports unions represent the struggle other unions are facing right now. If anything the wages and quality of life of professional athletes is directly related to the labour-crushing, finance-centric policies of late capitalism that took off since the 80s.

Quote:
Some of you do not get the difference between a lockout,and a strike... Yet the same people call the players uneducated... LOL.
For an alleged expert at these things, Fehr should have known Bettman had no problem calling a lockout. If the players care about anyone else why did they wait so long to start negotiating?

Old
11-22-2012, 04:19 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Quote:
I don't condone threats and sure, maybe having his integrity questioned is over the top. However, what Hamrlik said was very serious. All the union has is solidarity and Hamrlik undermined that. He hurt every other player in the union with his comments and I'm sure many in the union took personal offense to those comments.

It is like a political party member voting against the party. Whatever his personal intentions, he's going to draw the ire of the rest of the party and likely find himself out of that party before long.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

<3 The Hammer. Class. Thank you for being our best defenceman in a long time.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Protest the Hero

According to some, the NHLPA holds the future of all middle class America in their hands. If they don't "win" these negotiations, USA will be thrown back to the 1950's and NHL players will only earn $10,000 per year.

Done with these "discussions". Hopefully we can get a season, but my care level is at an all time low right now, I just wish TSN/CBC could pick up more AHL or junior games in the meantime.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:43 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The other difference is unlike most unions (there are other exceptions), sports unions are supposed to be representing people with radically different interests. Sidney Crosby, Brandon Prust and Petteri Nokelainen might both play the form of worker, in that they own only their own labour and not the means of production (if you can consider playing hockey a form of production), but their interests are often at odds.

While the owners might not deserve to be bailed out from overspending in principle, overpaying players becomes the only way to attract impact players. And these overpaid players are the guys who stand to lose the most from rollbacks, since they are the ones with long term contracts.

On the other hand, if the status quo remains the same, the type of guys who aren't going to retire with 10s of millions in the banks, the role players, are going to end up making less to compensate for paying the star players whatever the max is. The fringe players who live on short term contracts aren't going to win here.

So when Cole and Gorges pretend to care about the future, keep in mind that both are under contract for the rest of their productive careers, in both cases probably a year over their value. Not saying they didn't earn it, considering both are sacrificing their bodies considering their play styles, but both have contracts that were only possible under the current CBA and are closer to the upper class of NHL players than they pretend.

Why does there have to be one good side in this? Both sides are greedy, this is about two things - money and ego. But like it or not, the way the league is constructed, it's the owners who have the leverage here since they are the ones who invested to begin with.
if status quo remains, owners may get another "record" in revenues, who knows
They should "test" their leverage with replacement players

Old
11-22-2012, 04:48 PM
PunkinDrublic*

To all those who are itching for more hockey, get out to your local arenas and support our youth in minor hockey !!! Please....

Old
11-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I don't condone threats and sure, maybe having his integrity questioned is over the top. However, what Hamrlik said was very serious. All the union has is solidarity and Hamrlik undermined that. He hurt every other player in the union with his comments and I'm sure many in the union took personal offense to those comments.
Aside from judging his comments either way, I just wonder how many other players share his opinion (in some approximate degree, anyway). At some point, if a large enough group does, and if they feel like they aren't being heard by their union brethren, somebody is going to find a way to speak for them. Dunno if Hamrlik is the tip of the iceberg or a true rogue in that sense. But it would be an interesting new dynamic to the stalemate if some number of players shared his sentiments.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Aside from judging his comments either way, I just wonder how many other players share his opinion (in some approximate degree, anyway). At some point, if a large enough group does, and if they feel like they aren't being heard by their union brethren, somebody is going to find a way to speak for them. Dunno if Hamrlik is the tip of the iceberg or a true rogue in that sense. But it would be an interesting new dynamic to the stalemate if some number of players shared his sentiments.
Since the negotiations at this point appear to be about the "make whole" process, I wouldn't be surprised if players without contracts (Subban) or young players with 1 year contracts (Neuvirth, Desharnais, White) feel unrepresented. Their battle looks to be done. They are headed towards 50% of HRR by their primes, and another labor dispute in 6-7 years. The union has abandoned their fight, so their self interest might just be to play asap.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
thom

Don Cherry has already talked about canadian players going to Europe and taking jobs from europeans.He and Lafleur called a disgrace it was big news in canada .

Closed Thread