HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 05:28 PM
91Kadri91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Rasmus has enough power to play a corner outfield spot.

Gose has done nothing to show he has a major league calibre bat yet.
With all due respect, Rasmus has been below average at the plate for the past two years, and 3 of the 4 years he's been in the league.

Yes, Rasmus has far more potential with the bat than Gose, but he hasn't exactly been a great hitter to this point in his career. He also offers far less defense and baserunning ability than Gose.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:28 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Rasmus has the weakest arm out of Joey, Cabreara, Gose. Putting him in RF doesn't make sense.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

rasmus had the one big month offensively hitting 2nd
not unlike kelly johnson in april

.220 hitters tend to wear different uniforms every few yrs

Old
11-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Rasmus has the weakest arm out of Joey, Cabreara, Gose. Putting him in RF doesn't make sense.
Rasmus' and Cabrera's arms are pretty much on par, I'd even give the tie to Rasmus. While Gose has a stronger arm, he'd be more suitable for CF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
rasmus had the one big month offensively hitting 2nd
not unlike kelly johnson in aprl

.220 hitters tend to wear different uniforms every few yrs
Rasmus had an OPS north of .800 at the all star break, whether the groin problems were the reason of his downfall have yet to be determined, but let's hope he can rebound next season.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:38 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

**Re-post**

Two questions:

1. With all these new players added, do you all think Oliver would stay for another year before retirement?

2. Is it likely AA finds a pitcher in the Rule V draft who could go to the bullpen and spot-start when needed for injuries (eg. Laffey)?

Old
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I could see Joel Carreno getting picked up by someone..
He was DFA'd so a team could just claim him if they wanted to and if somebody does, he's not eligible for the rule 5 draft. Same goes for McCoy/McDade/Wade.

Old
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Right fielders don't need stronger arms than centre fielders. Where would you put him, left? He's a better fielder than Melky and arm isn't weaker

Old
11-22-2012, 05:42 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Not debating that, just saying given the makeup of our team right now... far to early to give up on Colby and annoint Gose the starter.

That may be necessary by the all-star break, but not to start the year. We're better off hoping that Colby develops/breaks out than pinning everything on Gose and forcing him to develop in a high pressure situation.
That I agree with.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
samwitch

Have any of the players that we got been interviewed yet? Or have they made comments about the trade and coming to Toronto?

Old
11-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Have any of the players that we got been interviewed yet? Or have they made comments about the trade and coming to Toronto?
Not that I've heard, only thing i've heard is that buehrle and reyes telling the media they were lied to by the marlins ofc.

11-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Johnson and Buck have been interviewed I believe, Buehrle's released a statement I think and Bonifacio hasn't said anything, guessing he may not be a very strong English speaker.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:17 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
I never acted like I had any inside insight. However given the fact that we have a 26 year old CF with all the qualities of a 5 tool player, under team control for the next few seasons, I think it is safe to say that Colby will be here for a long time

Nobody here is crapping on Gose. However at this point Colby has the better bat, and his range in Center Field doesnt leave anything to be desired. It would be a downgrade at this point in their careers to trade Colby and start Gose in CF for 2013. Which is why I stated that Gose likely wont have a position on this team for at least the next 2 seasons.

This is likely where you and I differ. You see Rasmus as a platoon and I see him as the type of hitter who can excel given the right lineup. A lineup which we currently have. Like I stated before, when Rasmus was hitting in front of Jose and EE he was putting the ball in play, showing some power and had an excellent approach to his at bats. He was patient and didnt feel like he was carrying the weight of the offense. When Jose went down everything changed; as typically happens when your best batter is removed from the lineup.

I honestly believe Gose won't figure out his bat. You can call it irrational, but I am of the opinion that if he was going to develop into an Austin Jackson type player, he would have shown more promise with his bat than he has up until this point.

If TDA tears it up in Buffalo and Lind struggles, would you be opposed to calling up TDA to catch and placing JP at first in a platoon with EE? Why rush a trade when we essentially can keep all of our assets and adequately plug any holes at the same time?
Sure Rasmus has lots of intriging tools and some team control but he also looks like a headcase and is extremely inconsistant. If he has another dissapointing season and Gose tears up AAA I see no way they decide to keep Rasmus as the centerfielder of the future. Sure Rasmus has the better bat but Gose has the more exciting tools outside of that and somehow managed to out OBP Rasmus last season and he was a crazy raw rookie and wasnt projected to be anywhere near the ML roster last season. Gose's bat needs work but he looked much more competant at the plate in his second stint and the guy is by all reports a absolute sponge and is dieing to listen and learn.

When you say Gose wont figure out his bat what are you saying? That he cant even manage to become a consistant .250 hitter? If thats what your saying then I totally disagree. I see him somewhere in the .260 ish range and a guy who can take a walk and with his awesome defense and great basestealing ability thats a extremely valueble player. Gose has been pushed quickly thru the system and asked to make numerous swing changes along the way. Like I said earlier a good poster named DiamondJoeQuimby made a great post awhile back showing that coming up Gose and Jacksons #'s were extremely similar.

I'll give Rasmus a little more rope but if he has another crappy season we should no longer run with this guy.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:23 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

I don't really agree with your assessment of Rasmus, but to each his own. ^.

In other news... we did sign another Izturis, it just wasn't Cesar . It's Julio.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/iphone/baseb...region=ONTARIO

Old
11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
I don't really agree with your assessment of Rasmus, but to each his own. ^.

In other news... we did sign another Izturis, it just wasn't Cesar . It's Julio.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/iphone/baseb...region=ONTARIO
You dont agree with my assesment of Rasmus?
What exactly have I said that is inaccurate?

Old
11-22-2012, 06:28 PM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Your opinion isn't always right, others have different views sometimes.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:29 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
assessment was probably the wrong word - but you said he was a headcase. A headcase in St.Louis, maybe... here? Don't think so, nothing of that sort came out I believe, seemed to love it here via interviews, seems lke a good guy around the room etc.

While you didn't exactly say this, I believe he can still be a fixture in CF. He's got all the tools, the motivation, etc. Maybe his arm isn't as good as Goses' but he is flawless defensively.

Now this is nothing against Anthony Gose, I'm not as high on him as most but I guarantee he'll be a MLer. I just don't think he can overtake Rasmus anytime soon.

edit: As soon as most think.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
The Red Sox and Mariners continue pursuing free agent catcher Mike Napoli, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter). Napoli is holding out for a fourth guaranteed year from Boston, and he's meeting with the Mariners, who might be willing to commit for the extra year.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#oRtQdGDi5HGWcz7S.99
I hope the Jays try and sign him.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:32 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
Your opinion isn't always right, others have different views sometimes.
The poster said he didnt agree with my assesment so I asked what he didnt agree with. I dont see whats wrong with that whatsoever and its not like I called him stupid or said he doesnt know what hes talking about.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:33 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
The poster said he didnt agree with my assesment so I asked what he didnt agree with. I dont see whats wrong with that whatsoever and its not like I called him stupid or said he doesnt know what hes talking about.
FWIW I wasn't offended, you, I and everyone else here as the right to disagree

Old
11-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Quote:
From what ive seen Buerhle said he was lied to. Josh johnson's wife didnt want to come to Toronto but Frank Thomas's wife told her it was nice here.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:34 PM
weems

Quote:
assessment was probably the wrong word - but you said he was a headcase. A headcase in St.Louis, maybe... here? Don't think so, nothing of that sort came out I believe, seemed to love it here via interviews, seems lke a good guy around the room etc.

While you didn't exactly say this, I believe he can still be a fixture in CF. He's got all the tools, the motivation, etc. Maybe his arm isn't as good as Goses' but he is flawless defensively.

Now this is nothing against Anthony Gose, I'm not as high on him as most but I guarantee he'll be a MLer. I just don't think he can overtake Rasmus anytime soon.

Calling him a headcase might have been extreme but he certainly looks like a guy you could throw into the mentally weak category.

Rasmus plays a solid CF but saying he plays "flawless" defense is going way overboard.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:

And others believe that Gose could provide more value in CF opening day than Rasmus. Given his toolset, and how Rasmus has been erratic in every facet, it isn't that unlikely.

That doesn't make you wrong. But some people are hesitant to pony up $5M to Colby to block Anthony.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:39 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
And others believe that Gose could provide more value in CF opening day than Rasmus. Given his toolset, and how Rasmus has been erratic in every facet, it isn't that unlikely.

That doesn't make you wrong. But some people are hesitant to pony up $5M to Colby to block Anthony.
Thats a another thing. Say Rasmus has a huge year. Im not sure we will have the money to resign him, then sign Johnson and eventually have to sign Lawrie.

I'd also say it would prolly cost more then 5 million.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Thats a another thing. Say Rasmus has a huge year. Im not sure we will have the money to resign him, then sign Johnson and eventually have to sign Lawrie.

Right now, he's projected to earn 4.8 million for this year and would be arb eligible one more time before FA kicks in.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Quote:

We can have payroll in the 200 million place. We have one of the richest owners in baseball.

Closed Thread