Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Roberto di Matteo sacked by Chelsea; Rafa Benitez hired

Old
11-22-2012, 08:50 PM
les Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Pretend your Pep, which is more attractive: the City job or the Chelsea job?
Neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
Yup. Waaay more talent at Chelsea than Citeh.
Let's not get carried away. In fact I would argue they're about equal or City slightly have the edge. Chelsea have the better younger talent, but City as much talent. Either way both clubs have plenty of players that Guardiola would find useful, but also plenty of dead weight to clear out.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:23 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

I feel like Chelsea's talent fits Pep better than where Citeh have their talent allocated.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:53 PM
les Habs

Again, I think both plenty of talent that Guardiola would find useful. At City he's got Silva, Kun, Dzeko, Tevez, Yaya Toure, Maicon and Kompany along with a few other players he'd likely find useful. Silva was linked with Barça while Pep was in charge. Kun's a no-brainer. Dzeko is the talented big man that Pep could use as a "plan B". Tevez, assuming Pep kept him around, still have plenty of talent and I'm sure Pep could use him. He already knows Toure's talent and where he can slot him in. Maicon is an attacking FB he'd want. Kompany is the ball-playing CB he likes. I think he might find a few other guys useful as well.

At Chelsea you've got a good set of guys he'd like. Mata, Oscar, Hazard, probably Romeu, Luiz, Cole, Cahill, Ivanovic, Lampard, maybe Ramires.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
He would probably prefer City. Job security, less pressure and the funds and time to build his own team. Plus Begiristain.

Would be interesting to see how many Barcelona youth players City signed if Guardiola did join Begiristain there.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:00 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

This is a guy who spends his year off in NYC and has spent a lot of his adult life in Barcelona. I reckon the West London scene would be more enticing for him than life in Manchester.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:02 PM
les Habs

Forgot Nasri and Garcia too. Suarez was linked with Barça before signing for City as well.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see him go elsewhere. A few clubs I'd like to see him manage. Though not one I'd like to see him manage, I think Bayern would be a really good fit.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Franck
En enda känsla...

vCash: 50
All this talk about which English club Pep would like to manage the most is silly, he'll be in Italy when he decides to return to coaching.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:22 AM
mightyquack
Everybody panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
All this talk about which English club Pep would like to manage the most is silly, he'll be in Italy when he decides to return to coaching.
You mean, England isn't the center of the footballing universe?

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
You mean, England isn't the center of the footballing universe?
It probably is, to be fair.

I'm not sure about Pep. He'll have plenty of places to choose from. I don't see him chasing money over everything, personally. I think he'll look at the club and its aspirations as well as the city. Chelsea would make a logical fit given those considerations, but their approach to dealing with coaches should indeed be a major turn-down for him. I could see him on either Milano club, although with them, the focus would be on the city and the clubs' history. One remaining option could be Munich, actually, as Heynckes' contract runs out, and he may call it a career. He'd have a great city, a team that can play a big role nationally as well as internationally, and a group of very stable superiors. With this option, it would mainly depend on how he views the Bundesliga as a league.

Even with the given turn-down, I can actually still picture him more easily with Chelsea than with every other single option. I could see him extending his time off, until a scenario pops up that he likes better, as well.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
It probably is, to be fair.

I'm not sure about Pep. He'll have plenty of places to choose from. I don't see him chasing money over everything, personally. I think he'll look at the club and its aspirations as well as the city. Chelsea would make a logical fit given those considerations, but their approach to dealing with coaches should indeed be a major turn-down for him. I could see him on either Milano club, although with them, the focus would be on the city and the clubs' history. One remaining option could be Munich, actually, as Heynckes' contract runs out, and he may call it a career. He'd have a great city, a team that can play a big role nationally as well as internationally, and a group of very stable superiors. With this option, it would mainly depend on how he views the Bundesliga as a league.

Even with the given turn-down, I can actually still picture him more easily with Chelsea than with every other single option. I could see him extending his time off, until a scenario pops up that he likes better, as well.
I see Paris as a possible destination as well.
Great city, potential dynasty possible, with unlimited funds and great young players.
Problem is probably Zlatan.

If I had to bet, I'd put a few money on Italy too. Though maybe being caught doping didn't make him love that country. And really who was caught at the time? Nobody and everyone knows that doping was automatic in Italy in the 90s.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:56 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

And it begins...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20462178

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Franck
En enda känsla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Great city, potential dynasty possible, with unlimited funds and great young players.

If I had to bet, I'd put a few money on Italy too. Though maybe being caught doping didn't make him love that country. And really who was caught at the time? Nobody and everyone knows that doping was automatic in Italy in the 90s.
That's not an issue. Pep has spoken of his admiration for Italy and Italian football repeatedly over the years, including comments about how he wishes to coach there one day.

He has also spoken before about how being an English-style manager with all the responsibilities that would come with such a role doesn't appeal to him. He wants to focus on the coaching aspects.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Let's not get carried away. In fact I would argue they're about equal or City slightly have the edge. Chelsea have the better younger talent, but City as much talent. Either way both clubs have plenty of players that Guardiola would find useful, but also plenty of dead weight to clear out.
i forgot to add a after that post.....sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
That's one I'd like to see happen. You're right though - zlatan could well be the issue.

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Ferguson is just a ****-stirrer who's ramblings are best ignored.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Evilo

Love the Fergie cream over the ref...

Quote:
Meanwhile Ferguson has given his support to referee Mark Clattenburg, who on Thursday was cleared by the Football Association following allegations from Chelsea that he used "inappropriate language" towards their players.

"I didn't believe it anyway," Ferguson said. "The unfortunate thing for Mark is he's had to carry that stain for the last few weeks and everyone in the game is pleased for him now, apart from Chelsea."

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:06 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Ferguson is just a ****-stirrer who's ramblings are best ignored.
Haha I love Fergie

CHelsea

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
These two will be all over each other all year. Too bad they only play once, I would LOVE to see Rafa vs. Ferguson in a big European tie.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Statistically, by the year 2025 every 6th person you walk past in a London street will be a former Chelsea manager.

Not sure if you guys were aware of that or not

Old
11-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Didn't feel like creating a new thread, so , yeah, Mano Menezes was just fired as Brazilian head coach

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:55 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Lampard and Cole out at the end of year. per the guardian

HeHateMeFrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Re: Pep to City, City fans love Mancini. So unless everything goes to **** I can't see that job being opened up. Bayern seems pretty likely to me for Pep right now. I think managing a sugar daddy club would conflict with his ideals of football to be completely honest.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Didn't feel like creating a new thread, so , yeah, Mano Menezes was just fired as Brazilian head coach
Not sure how heavy his involvement in the national team is any more, but I think this makes Julio Cesar the first player to have both his managers (club and NT) sacked on the same day.......

Old
11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Already replied to.

Quote:
Rafa Benitez has claimed he doesn't enjoy mind games, but that didn't stop him taking part in them during his first Friday press conference as he placed Arsene Wenger ahead of Sir Alex Ferguson as a manager.

Benitez, however, responded by talking about how he ranked Wenger above the Manchester United manager when he first came to England, and that any such comments were only in reply to other managers "pushing him".

"No, I don't enjoy that [mind games]. I enjoy my team playing well and winning games. I have to defend my team, my club, so I cannot wait while they push and push," Benitez said.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...rguson?cc=5901