HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKC Barons @ Texas Stars, Wednesday 11/21 6:30PM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
With decertification looming we might not even have to worry about this crop of players anymore.

And won't that feel good after five straight seasons near or at the bottom of the league??

Old
11-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
J.Schultz must of grown a inch since he went to the Barons.

IMO Klefbom will most likely start out in the AHL next year and will be a call up. Too much youth and inexperience for the Oilers D to start the season. N.Schultz will most likely be traded towards the end of the season and Klefbom or Marincin will be a called up.
Schultz is probably 6'2" as I've seen him next to Nuge and he's quite a bit taller and IIRC Nuge is 6'0.5".

Not sure about N. Schultz being moved, but I'd rather see Marincin in OKC for 2 full seasons before bringing him up for good unless he's clearly ready before then.

11-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Schultz is probably 6'2" as I've seen him next to Nuge and he's quite a bit taller and IIRC Nuge is 6'0.5".

Not sure about N. Schultz being moved, but I'd rather see Marincin in OKC for 2 full seasons before bringing him up for good unless he's clearly ready before then.
Not a chance N. Schuktz gets moved anytime soon. Between him and Smid they are currently our only steadfast shutdown D-man. Not in the sense that they are our only option but they are a damn fine option. Schultz is vastly underrated. Replacing him with a cccall-up that needs NHL experience sounds foolish to me.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:35 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Not a chance N. Schuktz gets moved anytime soon. Between him and Smid they are currently our only steadfast shutdown D-man. Not in the sense that they are our only option but they are a damn fine option. Schultz is vastly underrated. Replacing him with a cccall-up that needs NHL experience sounds foolish to me.
Agreed. I don't think Whitney is an Oiler after this season. He seems to be standoffish to the fans and honestly, I don't think I want someone with his overall attitude around the kids too much. Next season I wouldn't be offended if our lineup was

Smid/J.Schultz
Petry/Marincin
N.Schultz/Klefbom

It gives each of the young guy a vet to guide their game, and to be honest, from what I've seen of their games, Marincin is a lot more NHL ready than Klefbom is.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:10 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Agreed. I don't think Whitney is an Oiler after this season. He seems to be standoffish to the fans and honestly, I don't think I want someone with his overall attitude around the kids too much. Next season I wouldn't be offended if our lineup was

Smid/J.Schultz
Petry/Marincin
N.Schultz/Klefbom

It gives each of the young guy a vet to guide their game, and to be honest, from what I've seen of their games, Marincin is a lot more NHL ready than Klefbom is.
What is this about Whitney having an attitude that will poison the young players and being standoffish with fans?
Because he rants on twitter and called a fan an idiot for poking fun at his injury history? Sorry, i don't know where you're getting your information about him having a bad attitude.

I do agree about N. Schultz. He's definitely a useful player for this team going forward with his calming presence and defensive steadiness. He would be the ideal D partner for the other Schultz IMO. It would allow Justin to take some chances offensively and play to his strengths. It's why Smid works so well with Petry.
If all works out, we have a nice little mix on defense, could turn out to be a very underrated unit.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What is this about Whitney having an attitude that will poison the young players and being standoffish with fans?
Because he rants on twitter and called a fan an idiot for poking fun at his injury history? Sorry, i don't know where you're getting your information about him having a bad attitude.
This! It seems out of nowhere this offseason that people think Whitney is a cancer, and it couldn't be further from the truth. The guy is one of our leaders

Old
11-22-2012, 11:27 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This! It seems out of nowhere this offseason that people think Whitney is a cancer, and it couldn't be further from the truth. The guy is one of our leaders
Agreed, the young guys seem to love Whitney, they have hung out with him away from the rink etc. And the guy has been nothing but a team player since he came here so i find these claims about his supposed bad attitude to be ridiculous.
I think that some fans get turned off by players who speak their mind, i personally like it. I could do without his anti-Bettman propoganda but as far as the Oilers are concerned, the guy has had a great attitude.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Agreed, the young guys seem to love Whitney, they have hung out with him away from the rink etc. And the guy has been nothing but a team player since he came here so i find these claims about his supposed bad attitude to be ridiculous.
I think that some fans get turned off by players who speak their mind, i personally like it. I could do without his anti-Bettman propoganda but as far as the Oilers are concerned, the guy has had a great attitude.
I'm just tired of waiting for his ankle/foot to get healthy again. He was terrible out on the ice this year, and I just don't see him being able to stay healthy. We don't need him using top 4 icetime as a rehab session for his gimpy feet.

I fear Tambo will give him a multi year contract because he's good with the kids. And he's very stand-offish to his own fanbase on twitter, its not just that one incident.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:48 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I'm just tired of waiting for his ankle/foot to get healthy again. He's was terrible out on the ice this year, and I just don't see him being able to stay healthy. We don't need him using top 4 icetime as a rehab session for his gimpy feet.

I fear Tambo will give him a multi year contract because he's good with the kids. And he's very stand-offish to his own fanbase on twitter, its not just that one incident.
I don't think he will or should be an Oiler for much longer due to his lack of health plus the signing of Schultz and emergence of Petry will likely push him down the depth chart but it's not because he has this supposed bad attitude.

Who cares if he is standoffish with fans on twitter. Quite frankly, a lot of these fans on twitter are immature and act like idiots. I do think that he should show more restraint but i can see how he would be annoyed by some of the comments, he just happens to be an outspoken person.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:51 PM
franfrey*

If Whitney could stay healthy, he'd be a VERY valuable asset to our team.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No kidding. Whitney is a really well liked player. Sure he probably should have kept his cool to that fan on twitter, but the guy was an idiot for saying that and deserved the response he got.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
I don't think he will or should be an Oiler for much longer due to his lack of health plus the signing of Schultz and emergence of Petry will likely push him down the depth chart but it's not because he has this supposed bad attitude.

Who cares if he is standoffish with fans on twitter. Quite frankly, a lot of these fans on twitter are immature and act like idiots. I do think that he should show more restraint but i can see how he would be annoyed by some of the comments, he just happens to be an outspoken person.
Let me be clear, I don't think he is anything close to a cancer in the locker room. Just not a huge fan of his hypocrisy especially since he himself attacks athletes all the time on twitter. It's not because I'm not a fan of players that show personality. I love guys like Subban.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:11 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Maybe I'll take a little flak for saying this (stereotyping) but I think Whitney speaks his mind a lot and shoots from the hip and doesn't sugar-coat his thoughts much and I think at least to some degree it has to do with his American upbringing.

He's not as reserved and polite and "PC" as most Canadian hockey players... and I think that's a good thing to give some differing perspectives and personality to the team.

Everyone of course has their own personality and quirks and sometimes people should think a bit more before they speak, especially when in the public eye when they know every word and quote will be dissected endlessly... but personally I have no problems with Whitney's attitude or approach to the game of hockey.

I'm hoping he can heal up and can play at least at 80% of where he was at shortly after he joined the Oilers... because that would be a huge help on the back end and with a "semi"-healthy Whitney, an improving Petry and hopefully a promising debut from J Schultz... suddenly the glaring weaknesses and deficiencies on defense would be much less noticeable... and might just turn to an area of strength before long.

This long layoff hopefully will be beneficial for him as I assume he's working out and recovering fully from his surgery. By the time the NHL starts again we should at least then be able to see if he has most of his mobility back again... or whether he will no longer be able to play productively enough to be a decent asset going forward. It would be a hell of a lot easier for the Oilers and give them a lot more options if he could make a close to full recovery. Without him I think the Oilers will be relying on Justin Schultz to be their blue line savior and that's too much pressure on him no matter how good he appears to be.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:16 AM
puckfan13

I like how fans can be so stupid, the kids on the team clearly gravitate towards Whitney and he is a big leader in the dressing room. He was on After Hours last year and it's clear he gets what it takes to win, he saw Malkin and Crosby go through it all and he's learned from his past. He's been to a final, he's been to an Olympics and won silver. You can see in Oil Change even when he's injured he's still hamming it up in the room and he's around the team a lot. Says a lot about his character to keep playing that leadership role from the sidelines when he could easily mope around after his 15th injury.

If you get offended from his Twitter comments, then God help you. He's just the friend everyone has with a grumpy and crusty exterior with a heart of gold. It's pretty clear on Twitter that being the "grumpy" guy is sort of his thing and the kids get a rise out of provoking him and he sort of plays along with it. He's from Boston, he's a Mashole as they say. It's just part of his persona. Seems like some posters have never been in social settings before.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:52 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
some posters have never been in social settings before.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:57 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I'm just tired of waiting for his ankle/foot
why wait for his ankle/foot when you could wait for his ankle AND foot? amirite?

Old
11-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Qrispy

With the way Whitney was playing last season, I wouldn't give a damn if he was traded. Being good with the kids is nice and all but results on the ice are #1.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
With the way Whitney was playing last season, I wouldn't give a damn if he was traded. Being good with the kids is nice and all but results on the ice are #1.
That and you need a guy to be relatively healthy if you are going to rely on him to be a 1st/2nd pairing guy. If he leaves we need someone to step in to allow guys like Klefbom and Marincin to develop properly instead of throwing them to the wolves.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Qrispy

I think we would be fine without him. Marincin needs at least 1 more year in the AHL. Sutton is probably done. There are a couple of wildcards in Fedun and Klefbom who could make the team out of camp and then there's Potter and Peckham.

Petry-Smid
Schultz-Schultz
XXXX-XXXX

Old
11-23-2012, 03:01 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That and you need a guy to be relatively healthy if you are going to rely on him to be a 1st/2nd pairing guy. If he leaves we need someone to step in to allow guys like Klefbom and Marincin to develop properly instead of throwing them to the wolves.
I really do think out of any players in the entire league, Whitney is one of the players that will benefit the most from a lockout. Sort of like Selanne's knee last lockout, obviously not the same calibre of player but the same injury/recovery sort of benefit.

It always seems as if he's been rushed back from injury and now he has time to fully heal and rest I think he'll be great when he comes back. People forget his ability to go tape-to-tape both while his feet are moving and the forward is at full speed. It's extremely valuable, especially on this team and if we can have that head-manning ability on two pairings (J. Schultz) it will make the type of forwards we have even more lethal.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:04 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
I think we would be fine without him. Marincin needs at least 1 more year in the AHL. Sutton is probably done. There are a couple of wildcards in Fedun and Klefbom who could make the team out of camp and then there's Potter and Peckham.

Petry-Smid
Schultz-Schultz
XXXX-XXXX
If you are ready to plug in 3 rookies and/or 2 replacement level plugs in Potter and Peckham I have no idea how you expect this team to make the playoffs. Whitney is a 29 year old veteran entering his eighth season in the NHL in which he's played top-4 minutes and powerplay time almost exclusively, I think he's probably going to be a little better than Fedun or a rookie Klefbom who's never played on NA ice. Forgive me if I don't want to plug in some green rookies at the beginning of the season and just toss them in the fire. What happens when there is inevitable injuries, this D will be bleeding goals.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
I like how fans can be so stupid, the kids on the team clearly gravitate towards Whitney and he is a big leader in the dressing room. He was on After Hours last year and it's clear he gets what it takes to win, he saw Malkin and Crosby go through it all and he's learned from his past. He's been to a final, he's been to an Olympics and won silver. You can see in Oil Change even when he's injured he's still hamming it up in the room and he's around the team a lot. Says a lot about his character to keep playing that leadership role from the sidelines when he could easily mope around after his 15th injury.

If you get offended from his Twitter comments, then God help you. He's just the friend everyone has with a grumpy and crusty exterior with a heart of gold. It's pretty clear on Twitter that being the "grumpy" guy is sort of his thing and the kids get a rise out of provoking him and he sort of plays along with it. He's from Boston, he's a Mashole as they say. It's just part of his persona. Seems like some posters have never been in social settings before.
Pretty much. Doesn't change the fact he's still a ******. A lot a hockey players are douches though, lol.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
I like Whitney, hopefully he can get back to full health. One guy on Twitter made me laugh though when Whitney was going off about the lockout and the NHL saying they should have a two week break and Whitney's all "What's the rush?" Some guy fires back "What's the rush? You want to snap your ankles two weeks earlier this year?"

Any athlete on Twitter has to expect this sort of thing if you're putting yourself out there.

Off topic a bit.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Petry-Smid
Schultz-Schultz
XXXX-XXXX
Fedun from what I've seen is not ready, Klefbom maybe coming off of a lengthy layoff (longer than Hall's this past offseason). IMO if we lose/trade Whitney we need to add another vet d-man or even two to be safe.

Quote:
I really do think out of any players in the entire league, Whitney is one of the players that will benefit the most from a lockout. Sort of like Selanne's knee last lockout, obviously not the same calibre of player but the same injury/recovery sort of benefit.

It always seems as if he's been rushed back from injury and now he has time to fully heal and rest I think he'll be great when he comes back. People forget his ability to go tape-to-tape both while his feet are moving and the forward is at full speed. It's extremely valuable, especially on this team and if we can have that head-manning ability on two pairings (J. Schultz) it will make the type of forwards we have even more lethal.
We'll see, if he can get his mobility back to how it was his first season here and he can stay healthy then he's worth keeping around, if his mobility is at last year's level then he's down the road IMO.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Somebody should tweet Whitney and ask him how his off season work outs are going. He'd probably be pretty receptive to that.

Closed Thread