HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroits options

Old
11-22-2012, 10:26 AM
AK1990

vCash: 500
Detroits options

Assuming a full year lockout:

I want to know what you guys think about this. Detroit has been the model for success both in short & long term as they are consistently a top 5 team in the West for a long period of time and have made the playoffs for like 20 years straight (not sure on exact number, i know its around 20). That said, if there is a full year lockout Jimmy Howard will be a UFA. Not saying he'll walk BUT for this arguments sake he does walk. Whats Detroits next move? They have a lot of amazing players. Unfortunately for them they are on the wrong side of 30. Do you see them taking the hit for 2-3 years and retool this team by shipping the veteran stars? You'd still get a ton for guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall & Franzen etc. Or do they go after a vet like Backstrom assuming again there is a full year lockout and take one last kick at the can?

Thoughts? I think they should IF Howard walks...everyone knows that goalies are the only way a team can be consistent.

Thanks!

AK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Ishad

Pick up Smith or Backstrom on the UFA market.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
where will Howard walk to? No team is going to give him big money ..
DET has done well without elite goaltending for a while and may just be content with a Bernier or James Reimer going forward.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Pretty sure Howard will stay in Detroit.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:10 AM
AK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
DET has done well without elite goaltending for a while and may just be content with a Bernier or James Reimer going forward.
I agree they've done well before without star goaltending. I am not saying Howard will go but if a lockout last a full year, he will be a ufa which means ANY team can talk to him and teams like Toronto, Washington, Chicago, Tampa Bay etc might throw more money then Detroit is willing to cough up.

The difference is if Howard walks and all of Dets star veterans get a year older they don't have guys who can step into their vets skates right away. Det has some good young players but they aren't the same as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall & Lidstrom. So if Howard walks, maybe a retool would be wise because you have at best 2 years with Datsyuk who seems to be getting more hurt as his career goes on (inevitable that injuries catch up to you when your in your mid 30's).

There are some damn good prospects that are draft eligible over next few years. Maybe its Detroits turn to draft future super stars to replace their aging ones now!

Old
11-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Datsyuk Dangles
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is that a joke? I'm pretty sure a team like Toronto would give huge money for a good goalie like Howard.

I'm 99% sure Howard stays, but if he leaves I would want us to go after Smith. If not Smith, than Backstrom and just wait and see how Mrazek develops

Datsyuk Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
Is that a joke? I'm pretty sure a team like Toronto would give huge money for a good goalie like Howard.

I'm 99% sure Howard stays, but if he leaves I would want us to go after Smith. If not Smith, than Backstrom and just wait and see how Mrazek develops
Howard has been playing behind a very solid and structured D corp all his career. TOR would not dish out a 5M+ long term deal to someone like Howard fearing that without a guy like Lidstrom he might not even be an upgrade over what they already have.

The goalie market is very saturated now.. more #1 goalies than number of teams..

IMO if DET offers him 3- 3.5M... he'll take it.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Datsyuk Dangles
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Howard has been playing behind a very solid and structured D corp all his career. TOR would not dish out a 5M+ long term deal to someone like Howard fearing that without a guy like Lidstrom he might not even be an upgrade over what they already have.

The goalie market is very saturated now.. more #1 goalies than number of teams..

IMO if DET offers him 3- 3.5M... he'll take it.
Detroit's D is not nearly as good as you think it is. I'm pretty sure Toronto would overpay for Howard or Smith (using the same argument you're using against Howard).

Old
11-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Detroit's D is not nearly as good as you think it is. I'm pretty sure Toronto would overpay for Howard or Smith (using the same argument you're using against Howard).
assuming TOR gets Luongo\Smith ... where do you see Howard going? Most other teams are set in net and a team like EDM would rather give who they have (Dubnyk) a chance then go after Howard.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Datsyuk Dangles
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
assuming TOR gets Luongo\Smith ... where do you see Howard going? Most other teams are set in net and a team like EDM would rather give who they have (Dubnyk) a chance then go after Howard.
Chicago, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Islanders, are all possibilities. I know those teams all seem to be content with what they have now but I think Howard will have plenty of suitors if he doesn't want to stay in Detroit. Same with Smith.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:06 PM
AK1990

Howard would be a crazy sweet pick up for the Oilers! or even the Hawks. Even if he wants 6 mil for 5 years its better option then Luongos terrible contract. He's younger, coming into his prime. It would be worth overspending on Howard then capping your team with Luos contract IMO

Old
11-22-2012, 01:03 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Howard is a middle of the road starter. I wouldn't give him over 4.5

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
So are you recommending they trade off their aging vets for futures? I wouldn't mind trading a decent futures package for Franzen, if so.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
Quote:
Chicago, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Islanders, are all possibilities. I know those teams all seem to be content with what they have now but I think Howard will have plenty of suitors if he doesn't want to stay in Detroit. Same with Smith.
Cross Tampa off, we're more than content with the future and present in the goalie situation without paying a goalie like Howard top $

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
So are you recommending they trade off their aging vets for futures? I wouldn't mind trading a decent futures package for Franzen, if so.
What would you offer for Franzen?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Morlesio14*

do u think Toronto would be interested in Howard?

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:32 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

If Zetterberg became available I would pray for the Isles to make a play for him. Just can't see it ever coming to that.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
I don't see Howard leaving Detroit and I don't see Detroit letting him go.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If Zetterberg became available I would pray for the Isles to make a play for him. Just can't see it ever coming to that.
Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall won't be in play. That's not how Detroit opperates

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:52 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Play through the loss of Lidstrom and narrowly make/miss the playoffs, all while developing Smith, Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul, Pulkinnen, Mrazek in the coming years. Time to gear up for the next wave of pro players coming through the pipe.

11-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I don't see Howard leaving Detroit and I don't see Detroit letting him go.
This should pretty much sum up the thread. Though it is cute how a certain somebody makes foolish comments like "Howard might not be an upgrade over Toronto's current goalie situation" and implies that Dubnyk may be just as good. Try watching hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall won't be in play. That's not how Detroit opperates

And never will be as long as Ilitch, Holland, and Nill run the show. People thought Detroit's era was over when Yzerman left, now they think it's going to end with Lidstrom's departure. Detroit's era keeps going until those three guys are gone. (Although we all certainly hope they find/teach adequate replacements)

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:24 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Once again very unlikely Detroit would move guys, they are a very loyal organization. But should a rebuild be required. An interesting thing with both Zetterberg (player I deem least likely to be shopped) and Franzen is they don't have NTC, any team in the league can make an offer. Kronwall has one for the next several years and Datsyuk has a partial. Find it interesting Kronwall put one in, might tell you what some of the players are thinking. If Datsyuk doesn't commit to sign here next season and the team struggles, I expect he would be available as shocking as that would be to many. If they think he is going to Russia after 2014, they will want some assets, if he won't sign a deal by fall of next year things could get very interesting. Even as a known pure rental he will bring in a boatload, in that scenario Holland can't afford not to listen in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Osgood As It Gets
23 Straight Years

vCash: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
If Datsyuk doesn't commit to sign here next season and the team struggles, I expect he would be available as shocking as that would be to many. If they think he is going to Russia after 2014, they will want some assets, if he won't sign a deal by fall of next year things could get very interesting. Even as a known pure rental he will bring in a boatload, in that scenario Holland can't afford not to listen in my opinion.
If that is the case, I would hope a top 2 D would be coming back, even if the D itself has the potential to be top-2 D. Either that or a high draft pick and prospects.

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:36 AM
AK1990

Yes Detroit was able to survive losing Yzerman but they won't survive without Lidstrom. When Yzerman retired they had Datsyuk & Zetterberg to lean on offensively and the leadership of Lidstrom (future HHFer). Whose Detroit going to lean on defensively without Lidstrom? Kronwall is fantastic but he isn't the type of defender that Lidstrom was Quincey is good but to me a good 3-4. Smith is young and wouldn't say he's a 1-2 yet. That leaves Ericksson (4-5) white (dislike him but is a 4-5) and coliacovo (5-6). So that leaves your D in really bad shape. If they landed Suter this conversation would be irrelevant but they have big holes. And aging star vets upfront. Detroit has NO chance to contend if Zetterberg or Datsyuk suffer from injuries that make them miss a good chunk of games.

Lets not fool ourselves. Detroit is the most vulnerable now then in past 2 decades.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Detroit can attract any goaltender that values a cup more than they want an inflated contract.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote