HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Information for a toddler

Old
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
reecardo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Thanks. I actually think that's the one we just tried on a couple hours ago.
Is a cage that important? I see it as important, as they have poor balance and can fall face first.
But I see so many helmets and videos of kids with helmets with no cages?
If it were my kid, she would have a cage on. Might as well get em used to it early on, and it might even save a baby tooth or three.

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
Yeah I'm gonna get a cage. Just surprised so many people don't. Seems automatic to me at that age.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
nullterm

Yes cage. My 3 year old has already had a handful of times where the cage saved a nose or front teeth. No need rushing the tooth faerie's job.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:26 PM
redbranch

Go with the cage. It does not harm, and may do a ton of good. My sons 7, and a good skater, and he doesnt step onto the ice without his cage.

You never know when another kid will run into them, or they hit a rut near the boards. Better a couple minutes of crying than a trip to the doctors

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Yeah I'm gonna get a cage. Just surprised so many people don't. Seems automatic to me at that age.
Agreed, even if it's for fun skating, it boggles my mind. It really annoys me sometimes when customers want to cheap out on a helmet/cage setup or question the necessity of a cage.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:52 AM
bazaaa*

Thanks.
Gonna get one with the cage. Can't find any used ones around. Didn't really want to spend $55 for a new one.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those helmets should last several years though, so long as your kid doesn't lose the foam inserts. I need to go buy some foam and throw it in there.

Think I might take my kid to get skates this week.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Call me crazy, but I let my boy go out there without a cage. I don't think I've ever seen a kid smack their face on the ice. When sticks and pucks enter the equation it will be a different story and he is already looking forward to putting it on. Good old reverse psychology Seriously though, I'm not opposed to cages or anything but I don't think a toddler necessarily needs one just to learn to skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick
Think I might take my kid to get skates this week.
Congrats

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
nullterm

My kid takes about 2/3 nosedives per skate, a must. Though he's 3 and a couple months.

Update, pushing around one of those walkers has really been a turning point for kiddo. I make sure he keeps his hands on it, not lean on it with body. The big difference being he has to PUSH with his skates to make it move. Before he had good balance but was just walking on his skates.

The weight of the walker means that he has to use the blades of his skates to push around the weight of the walker. Now he's actually pushing and starting to glide.

And I don't know if I'm planting the seeds for a future Scott Stevens, but I made it a game for him to bump me ith the walker and then I take a pretend tumble. It gets him laughing and wanting to chase me. Which is a good indicator he's having fun.

Thanks again to tarheel who made the long list of things todo. It's helped make a big difference with a kid that got frustrated with skating and didn't wanna do it.

He also got a sweet Nugent-Hopkins jersey out of the deal.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:50 AM
bazaaa*

Mine is going pretty good now. Try and let him go on his own a bit with my hands right by him, but I"m worried about him falling too hard without a proper helmet, and worried he's going to get discouraged. He lost his balance a bit a couple times today and said "too icy" lol. And wanted me to carry him after that. So I'm worried he's going to fall and not like it.

Debating getting the helmet now for him. But my dad said he'll buy it for him for Christmas. But I don't know if I want to wait another four weeks.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:55 AM
nullterm

If you think he's getting discouraged, get him laughing and giggling on the ice. Don't worry about balance, skill, etc. If you can get him to laugh, then it's alot easier to avoid getting discouraged.

My kid got discouraged a couple sessions from harmless falls, then it got difficult just to try and go skating, even though we were trying to keep it fun. Ended up just pulling him on a sled most of the time.

I figured out that mine likes to bump me with the walker, see me take a tumble, then he will make himself tumble too. He's giggling himself silly on the ice at that point.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:33 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
At that age, don't they have the supportive braced skates? Because that seems to be all I can see for the really little ones.

Wondering how long until I can get skates for my niece. She's 5 weeks old and when I saw her, her feet were the size of my thumb.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:58 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
If you think he's getting discouraged, get him laughing and giggling on the ice. Don't worry about balance, skill, etc. If you can get him to laugh, then it's alot easier to avoid getting discouraged.

My kid got discouraged a couple sessions from harmless falls, then it got difficult just to try and go skating, even though we were trying to keep it fun. Ended up just pulling him on a sled most of the time.

I figured out that mine likes to bump me with the walker, see me take a tumble, then he will make himself tumble too. He's giggling himself silly on the ice at that point.
Yeah that's what I'm gonig to do today. We're going to go buy a helmet and go skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
At that age, don't they have the supportive braced skates? Because that seems to be all I can see for the really little ones.

Wondering how long until I can get skates for my niece. She's 5 weeks old and when I saw her, her feet were the size of my thumb.
Soon!

Old
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Question for the folks,

Kid is 3.5...would you go Lil' Champ or a tiny traditional skate? I'm thinking Lil' Champ as it'd be more comfortable and easy to get on/off. We had smaller Lil' Champs when he was a toddler and they worked okay but he was just too small to skate.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
hyster110

may be worth it to start going into traditional sktes

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:34 AM
bazaaa*

Can't believe it's been almost two months now.
We go once a week, usually for about 45mins. With breaks.
Carry him around a lot, spin him on the ice, just try to make it enjoyable.
He can now walk/skate slowly on the. usually only goes about 3-5 feet, then wants me. Doesn't feel safe on it. But it's going pretty good. It's neat to see him progress from not even being able to stand and not wanting to hang on the the skate aid thing, to now being able to walk on the ice, and push the skate aid.

Now I guess it's just getting him more comfortable on his own, and making him go further. Then learning to push off and glide.

After a couple weeks my back got used to it too, so that was a nice relief.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I was in the EXACT same situation you were in when I was a kid. My parents had me take skating lessons as they wanted me to play hockey. I loved the NHL but hated skating and I quit.

Only several years ago did I get back into it. If you want your kid to play hockey early, I highly recommend getting a one-on-one instructor instead. They teach pretty early for children basic skating and will help your child become a hockey player.

I took a public skating lesson when I was 15 and it didn't help alot. Took one on one lessons when I was 16 or so. I made a drastic leap in one on one skating. I can do tight turns and hockey stop and have fast acceleration and stride. I'm bad at skating backwards for the most part, but if I started earlier i'd be a pro at it. Unfortunately I didn't make my senior year since I started late, but I still play recreational and might try out for my college team next year. I never tried out for high school, which I regret just as much as quitting in the first place.

Go with a one on one instructor if they are available/when he is old enough.

Good luck!

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote