HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

AA is for real, now itís Burkeís turn to make a deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
  #26
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Dear Stefan Hoogerbrugge (author of the article),

An okay article that needs improvement.

You provided many positive assertions. This is good and one part of the writing process. Good work.

However, you did not follow up with any actual argumentation for your assertions. Remember: an assertion is only as good as it can be argued for.

For the times that you did provide argumentation, it was merely an argument that described the circumstances. For example, you said, "Now, with the emergence of a star studded Toronto Blue Jays team, a Grey Cup challenging Toronto Argonauts football team, and a young and exciting Toronto Raptors squad, the Leafs are at serious risk of losing fans, and losing them fast". So, the question to ask would be, how exactly will this be the cause of the Leafs losing fan attendance? Providing an answer will enhance your argument.

Additionally, in your article, better argumentation can be accounted for by not making radical claims. An argument doesn't need to be always in support of a radical claim, but can be for a modest claim. You say, "Now I realize that is stating the obvious, but before the emergence of the other Toronto sports franchises, there really was no pressure on the Leafs to perform..." First, is this even true? Is a franchise who hasn't won a Stanley Cup in over 40 years in one of hockey's largest settings without 'pressure to perform'? Doesn't this alone show that the team always had pressure to perform and that it doesn't directly matter what other Toronto Sports team do?

Grade: C

Please, do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns (if you have any).

-Epic.


Well said.

I was a little confused by the article as a whole, but once I realized that it was the same poster that has made 4 other threads in attempts to gather traffic to his website/blog, it all made sense.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:56 PM
  #27
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
GM of a baseball team makes a big trade, PRESSURE IS ON BURKE TO MAKE A BIG TRADE TOO!!!11!!11!

Not exactly sound logic.
...really, guy?

1. Burke was brought in to produce a winner
2. Other local sports franchises are looking to turn the corner, and have either made deals or performed at a level which inspires hope and fan support
3. The Leafs' monopoly on potential sports revenues may suffer if other sports clubs continue to outperform them
4. The current Leaf roster isn't good enough to compete over sustained periods VS divisional rivals
5. More talented personnel is required to improve the product, likely realized through trades until prospects are ready to step up

With all due respect, where is the breakdown in logic, in your opinion?

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
  #28
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Really don't see why this needs to be addressed.

The way the sports work (prospect value, trading, FA's, budget, etc) is so different, you can't pull off the same type deal in the NHL.

Here's one example, if you want me to provide more I can. NHL drafts - 7 rounds, MLB - 40 rounds. Thus, you can trade more prospects because A. they're more of a sure thing in the MLB and B. more available talent (over 3 minor league affiliates).

It's stupid to suggest Burke can just make a deal of this capacity.

Just your typical blogger nonsense, IMO.
I see your point, but I think you missed the author's.
I dont know that he suggests a 12 man blockbuster is the only viable solution. I think the point is, unless the Maple Leafs' on ice product improves, other local sports entities will surpass them in terms of fan interest.

I dont know that that is much a reach in logic. In recent years it was suggested that unless the Leafs improved their product, other teams such as Ottawa would start capturing a bigger TV audience at the Leafs' expense.

Ithink the premise has some validity...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:10 PM
  #29
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
...really, guy?

1. Burke was brought in to produce a winner
- Burke has built a very deep and talented system, all while managing to bring in some "star" power. This team lacked as a whole unit from the prospect depth all the way up until the upper managment.
For Burke to be able to shore up the foundation of this club was absolutely going to take some time, and we haven't really even yet to see his draft picks make an impact on this club because it is still too early in his tenure for those to make an impact.
This isn't the MLB either, so we cant go purchasing our stars in a cap system, otherwise he would have a long time ago. He's done what he can in terms of flexing his financial backing by making acquisitons like the Lupul/Gardiner deal, along with Kolzig and Franson/Lombardi.


2. Other local sports franchises are looking to turn the corner, and have either made deals or performed at a level which inspires hope and fan support.
- Just because these teams are "turning" the corner doesn't mean the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to see a dip in attendance. Big businesses are still going to purchase their season tickets and the average joe will still go to as many games as they can despite the recent on ice production. There is a lot more to the draw of going to a Leafs game than a Win or a Loss.

3. The Leafs' monopoly on potential sports revenues may suffer if other sports clubs continue to outperform them
- I cannot see the Argo's ever being a threat to the Leafs attendance, the Blue Jays play at a different time of year and draw a very different crowd, and the Raptors are struggling just as much, if not more than the Leafs. They're just as far off as being a playoff hopeful than the Leafs. The GTA is big enough to host this many teams and see them succeed.

4. The current Leaf roster isn't good enough to compete over sustained periods VS divisional rivals
- See my point about the fact that Burke hasn't been here long enough for his youthful acquisitions and picks to make an impact in terms of sustained periods. He's brought in a lot of fantastic youth, as well as brought in some key pieces that a
re playing right now that could be here the next 10 seasons.
With the potential influx of youth like Kadri, Colborne, Ross, Biggs, McKegg, Blacker, Reilly, Finn, Percy, Scrivens and more all being potentially available to make the big roster some day, makes for more flexability in terms of producing a winner with the options they'll have when these kids are ready.


5. More talented personnel is required to improve the product, likely realized through trades until prospects are ready to step up
- Acquiring more NHL ready talented personnel is easier said than done. Burke has done his fair share of work with this roster, but he cant just buy players. He's worked with what he had and turned it into some "franchise" players in terms of Kessel and Phaneuf, yet didn't lose much in return. He's got other youthful pieces that have yet to enter their prime and will continue to grow and improve with this young team.


With all due respect, where is the breakdown in logic, in your opinion?
- With all due respect, did you think of the opposite end of the spectrum before posting these points?

My response in bold.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:53 AM
  #30
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Thanks for the response Chuck.
Try not to assume I'm a Burke hater. In fact, I think he's doing a good job with the re-structuring, and I've been called a homer at least as much as I've been called a hater for my own articles regarding Burke. Cant please everyone, I guess...

Regarding your second point, I absolutely disagree with you. Historically this may have been so, because you had just 2 teams getting all the HNIC love once upon a time; MTL and TOR. English speaking Canada embraced the Leafs coast to coast as a result. Things are different now, and the emergence of other teams ie. OTT mean that monopoly in terms of TV time is not a certainty. NHL TV packages make the competition for attention outside of your local market even tougher. If the quality of the product slips, or gets surpassed by other sports and entertainment products, that core group of corporate sponsors may realize a shrinking TV audience doesnt represent the best bang for their buck, especially if the demographic demonstrates a significant shift in interest.

Hockey as a whole doesn't have the same impact on Canadian society as it once did. Minor hockey enrolment is down, and the fan base isnt really expanding. Fan interest in sports as a whole is diversifying to reflect a more multicultural society and as a result, increased interest in Basketball, Soccer, and baseball represents shrinking market opportunity for the Leafs. If the product stinks in comparison to other local products, it isn't a stretch to assume people will find other, less frustrating means of entertainment.

Despite Burke's work with the club at various levels, the product has not improved since 2008. All those wonderful and "fantastic youth" acquisitions do not equate to a team that can compete over sustained periods at this point, some 4 and a half years later. Try to remember the rest of the league has also acquired its share of "fantastic youth" as well, and are in fact, widening the gap in terms of overall talent, in many cases.

Ultimately, the only way to preserve both fan and corporate interest for the Maple Leafs is to play better hockey. All the rationale and in depth analyses of Burke's impact on the organization means precious little if they don't ice a better product. If we want to pretend the new owners at MLSE aren't deliberating this very point then that's a personal choice. Rhyming off the names of our prospects ad nauseum won't retain fan interest, especially given the propensity for youth in Toronto to fold like a cheap suit, historically speaking. Most of the Leafs' best prospects (Schenn being the latest victim) ultimately collapse under the enormous weight of fan/media expectations and/or premature exposure. I wouldn't count on the kids being the catalyst to turn it around in Toronto; the primary reason I supported Burke's decision to deal picks for Kessel. Seguin in a Leaf jersey is not the same Seguin you see today, having benefitted from playing on a deep, balanced Bruins team.

Re your fifth point, I don't know what you're getting at there. I see the organization as a more healthier one today, but I see a changing demographic, and local pro sports clubs also becoming healthier/more prominent as well. If the fan base shrinks, corporate sponsors may invest less in the Leafs and more in other areas where fan interest is growing. Again, your best defense is to improve the product. It's pretty simple.


Last edited by Durkin67: 11-23-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:59 AM
  #31
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Regarding your second point, I absolutely disagree with you. Historically this may have been so, because you had just 2 teams getting all the HNIC love once upon a time; MTL and TOR. English speaking Canada embraced the Leafs coast to coast as a result. Things are different now, and the emergence of other teams ie. OTT mean that monopoly in terms of TV time is not a certainty. NHL TV packages make the competition for attention outside of your local market even tougher. If the quality of the product slips, or gets surpassed by other sports and entertainment products, that core group of corporate sponsors may realize a shrinking TV audience doesnt represent the best bang for their buck, especially if the demographic demonstrates a significant shift in interest.
The Leafs, Sens and Habs are not competing with each other in terms of TV contracts and whatnot due to blackouts. You have a hard time catching Leafs games if the Sens are playing at the same time in the Ottawa area, and visa versa. This even applies to online packages like Center Ice (not sure about Hockey Streams). The only exception would be the coverage outside of the GTA and the Ottawa area, and even if the Leafs games get blacked out in favor of the Sens games in those areas (very unlikely), it's not a huge loss in percentage compared to GTA's population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Hockey as a whole doesn't have the same impact on Canadian society as it once did. Minor hockey enrolment is down, and the fan base isnt really expanding. Fan interest in sports as a whole is diversifying to reflect a more multicultural society and as a result, increased interest in Basketball, Soccer, and baseball represents shrinking market opportunity for the Leafs. If the product stinks in comparison to other local products, it isn't a stretch to assume people will find other, less frustrating means of entertainment.
If true (and I'm not so sure it is), I believe it's more the reason of the multiple lockouts in the last decade or so, than anything else. The overall lowered quality of average talent around the league with all the expansion teams (to places where hockey doesn't belong) is also partially to blame for this. Ditch 5-6 teams (that hardly anyone cares about), get rid of 100+ scrubs from the league, and the overall level of play would increase dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Despite Burke's work with the club at various levels, the product has not improved since 2008. All those wonderful and "fantastic youth" acquisitions do not equate to a team that can compete over sustained periods at this point, some 4 and a half years later. Try to remember the rest of the league has also acquired its share of "fantastic youth" as well, and are in fact, widening the gap in terms of overall talent, in many cases.
The 2008 team had very little upside, and was going nowhere fast. The same could not be said about our current roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Ultimately, the only way to preserve both fan and corporate interest for the Maple Leafs is to play better hockey. All the rationale and in depth analyses of Burke's impact on the organization means precious little if they don't ice a better product. If we want to pretend the new owners at MLSE aren't deliberating this very point then that's a personal choice. Rhyming off the names of our prospects ad nauseum won't retain fan interest, especially given the propensity for youth in Toronto to fold like a cheap suit, historically speaking.
The Leafs managed to not only maintain but grow their fanbase throughout the Ballard era, and throughout the 50+ years of Cup drought. I don't think the Leafs organization is in any danger of losing substantial amount of fans (profit) as a result of a few completely expected seasons of growing pains with a young core. Most people can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Most of the Leafs' best prospects (Schenn being the latest victim) ultimately collapse under the enormous weight of fan/media expectations and/or premature exposure. I wouldn't count on the kids being the catalyst to turn it around in Toronto; the primary reason I supported Burke's decision to deal picks for Kessel. Seguin in a Leaf jersey is not the same Seguin you see today, having benefitted from playing on a deep, balanced Bruins team.
Schenn's lack of performance was because of the media pressure, huh? Luke, Beauchamin, and Komisarek were more victims of Wilson incorrectly utilizing them, and they performance had very little to do with media pressure. I do agree on the Seguin point, though. Had the Leafs drafted him, the majority of the fanbase would have declared him a bust by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Re your fifth point, I don't know what you're getting at there. I see the organization as a more healthier one today, but I see a changing demographic, and local pro sports clubs also becoming healthier/more prominent as well. If the fan base shrinks, corporate sponsors may invest less in the Leafs and more in other areas where fan interest is growing. Again, your best defense is to improve the product. It's pretty simple.
Chuck is absolutely right that most of the Toronto franchises are not competing over the same fanbase.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:00 AM
  #32
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
I really like what Alex Anthopoulos is doing for the Blue Jays, but he hasn't brought taht club any success.

How is he any different than Burke? If anything he's just replicating what Burke has done with the Leafs.

Making a lot of big moves that get everyone excited for the upcoming season.

This blockbuster trade has the potential to fall flat and if the Marlins' new prospects pan out, it could just as easily turn into another Kessel-type trade.

The media is painting the AA trade like it's the bringing in of Carter and Alomar, and fans lap it up like it guarantees a World Series (or two). This is still a team that finished second last in their division and almost 20 games back of the leader.

And they're bringing back a manager that guided the team to an amazing .500 record during his tenure. Not exactly awe inspiring.

Let's not confuse things though. I really like what Anthopoulos is doing, but I also like what Burke has done in his nearly 5 years as GM in Toronto. Despite the lack of success, Toronto once again has a deep prospect pool and has the assets in place to pull off an Anthopoulos-weighted trade.

Especially with the new CBA looming, and the ripple-effect it will have on the other 29 teams in the NHL, many of whom will be hit hard by changes to the Cap, salary structure and particularly, the NHL's own retribution for the Cap circumventing contracts.

Vancouver, by the sounds of it, will have to settle on giving Luongo up for rags and tatters, most likely to the Leafs. Paired with the long-term ramifications of the NHL's policy on punishing the transgressors of the cap, we could be in store for an upheaval in the NHL's hiarchy.

As far as whether or not Alex Anthopoulos has made a move that puts more pressure on Burke, if anything, it has alleviated pressure. At least now there is a distraction from the Leafs. Fans have something new and shiny diverting their attention, if ever-so momentarily.

It hasn't raised the bar, the bar was always and always will be a Stanley Cup in Toronto. Fans won't waver. They'll just be satiated for the time being.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:12 AM
  #33
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,423
vCash: 500
I think Burke will be looking to make a big move.

He isn't on an endless contract, and his results so far (and I stress so far) have not been impressive in any manner.

Every team gets prospects and picks every year. Burke didn't do something that every other team doesn't do so it isn't something that puts his results above anyone else's results. Burke isn't measure against the past so much as the present and it isn't against the Leafs it is against every team in the league.

Burke doesn't have to be better than JFj, he has to be better than every current GM.

Leads me to the big move. Some people claim he's restocked the cupboards, and we know what is in the cupboard is only of value if you can consume it.

He's got a couple holes to plug, and those vittles are going to be bartered off to fill those holes.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
  #34
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
The Leafs, Sens and Habs are not competing with each other in terms of TV contracts and whatnot due to blackouts. You have a hard time catching Leafs games if the Sens are playing at the same time in the Ottawa area, and visa versa. This even applies to online packages like Center Ice (not sure about Hockey Streams). The only exception would be the coverage outside of the GTA and the Ottawa area, and even if the Leafs games get blacked out in favor of the Sens games in those areas (very unlikely), it's not a huge loss in percentage compared to GTA's population.
THat really just supports Durkin's point. All you're saying is that the viewer is rail-roaded into watching the team with the area's broadcast rights, rather than the Leafs as they would have in past years, regardless of the fan's own ambitions.


Quote:
If true (and I'm not so sure it is), I believe it's more the reason of the multiple lockouts in the last decade or so, than anything else. The overall lowered quality of average talent around the league with all the expansion teams (to places where hockey doesn't belong) is also partially to blame for this. Ditch 5-6 teams (that hardly anyone cares about), get rid of 100+ scrubs from the league, and the overall level of play would increase dramatically.
The average quality of players in the NHL is massively higher than it has ever been. It is because the gap between the worst players in the NHL and the best players in the NHL has shortened so much (due to the increased quality overall of players) that the NHL doesn't seem as exciting, nor do star players seem "as good" as the superstars of old.

If you put Sidney Crosby on the same ice as Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky, he'd be unstoppable. Those superstars wouldn't compare nowadays. If fans want to see "exciting hockey" again, it really is a commendation for further team expansion, not a decrease in teams. That would only serve to further shorten the gap between the hyper-elite players and the worst players.

For analogy, imagine holding a bowling ball above your head. Gravity is trying to force that bowling ball down. With your arms, you're creating an equal force that keeps the bowling ball from doing anything exciting, other than just sit there.

Of course, once you let the ball go, the gap between the force pushing down, and the force pushing up, increases dramatically, and we all get to enjoy a bowling ball hit your head.

In the NHL, Sidney Crosby is the Gravity, and your arms represent the average quality of the rest of the players. The stronger your arms, the less that bowling ball will move. The weaker they are, the more likely that ball will drop.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:29 AM
  #35
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
THat really just supports Durkin's point. All you're saying is that the viewer is rail-roaded into watching the team with the area's broadcast rights, rather than the Leafs as they would have in past years, regardless of the fan's own ambitions.
That railroading as you call it has been in effect for quite some time, and is not likely to change. Performance of the respective teams is irrelevant. From what I'm seeing, the Leafs fanbase is going very strong in Ottawa, but I doubt the Sens fanbase is doing well in TO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
The average quality of players in the NHL is massively higher than it has ever been. It is because the gap between the worst players in the NHL and the best players in the NHL has shortened so much (due to the increased quality overall of players) that the NHL doesn't seem as exciting, nor do star players seem "as good" as the superstars of old.

If you put Sidney Crosby on the same ice as Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky, he'd be unstoppable. Those superstars wouldn't compare nowadays. If fans want to see "exciting hockey" again, it really is a commendation for further team expansion, not a decrease in teams. That would only serve to further shorten the gap between the hyper-elite players and the worst players.

For analogy, imagine holding a bowling ball above your head. Gravity is trying to force that bowling ball down. With your arms, you're creating an equal force that keeps the bowling ball from doing anything exciting, other than just sit there.

Of course, once you let the ball go, the gap between the force pushing down, and the force pushing up, increases dramatically, and we all get to enjoy a bowling ball hit your head.

In the NHL, Sidney Crosby is the Gravity, and your arms represent the average quality of the rest of the players. The stronger your arms, the less that bowling ball will move. The weaker they are, the more likely that ball will drop.
Good point, and I've actually argued similar points with my friends, and the analogy works for all sports. Pele wouldn't be nearly as good playing today as he was back in his era. Had Gretzky started his carier now, he wouldn't be holding every single record hostage by the time his career was finished. 75% of the league who played in the 70s probably couldn't qualify to any NHL team due to the amount of training the players go through regularly. That doesn't mean the league (and the fanbase) wouldn't benefit from pulling the plug on some of the teams on life support.


Last edited by 4evaBlue: 11-23-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:53 AM
  #36
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think Burke will be looking to make a big move.

He isn't on an endless contract, and his results so far (and I stress so far) have not been impressive in any manner.

Every team gets prospects and picks every year. Burke didn't do something that every other team doesn't do so it isn't something that puts his results above anyone else's results. Burke isn't measure against the past so much as the present and it isn't against the Leafs it is against every team in the league.

Burke doesn't have to be better than JFj, he has to be better than every current GM.

Leads me to the big move. Some people claim he's restocked the cupboards, and we know what is in the cupboard is only of value if you can consume it.

He's got a couple holes to plug, and those vittles are going to be bartered off to fill those holes.

Well argued. And Burke himself concedes that the disposable income of Toronto sports and entertainment consumers is something MLSE realizes it must fight to capture and retain. Assuming the golden goose requires no attention would be a foolhardy position for any sports executive to take. when your contemporaries begin to raise the bar, you need to comply.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
  #37
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
My response in bold.
When did Kolzig become a Leaf?? How long have I been sleeping?? Damn you Jack Daniels and Nyquil

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
  #38
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
When did Kolzig become a Leaf?? How long have I been sleeping?? Damn you Jack Daniels and Nyquil
Kolzig never played for the Leafs, but they did own his rights for a few weeks. It was the trade I believe where Burke basically bought a 4th round pick from Tampa.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  #39
Preisst
Party On!!
 
Preisst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
GM of a baseball team makes a big trade, PRESSURE IS ON BURKE TO MAKE A BIG TRADE TOO!!!11!!11!

Not exactly sound logic.
Following the same logic :

Toronto Argos are playing the championsip game in their league!!! The Leafs had better do the same immediately or there will be trouble to pay!!!!

Toronto Rock won the league championship in their league in 2011!!!! The Leafs had better follow suit and do the same thing immediately or there will be trouble to pay!!!!

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
  #40
Badger25
Registered User
 
Badger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
I honestly believe Burke is ready to sack up and make a big move. He has the assets and the depth in all player positions to pull the trigger for a big name.

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:15 PM
  #41
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
The Jays had to make a big move. Do the Leafs? The Jays have to win to pack the Rogers Centre. Do the Leafs? Nope.

I don't see big pressure for the organization. I also don't think Burke is even close to being fired like most believe.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
  #42
cookie
Fresh From The Oven
 
cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oven then stomach
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
From my responses, you can gather that I'm not a Burke hater. From what I've seen is that he's traded quantity for quality while shoring up the hole left by the departures with high quality quantity gotten from more unconventional places.
Trading overachieving players with limited upsides for underachieving players with higher upsides has yielded great results.
have anyone of stajan, white, mayers, tlusty, done anything particularly noteworthy?
Really, I think the inflated stats from Wilson's run-and-gun strategy helped this team get the best returns from the players they eventually traded...

Oh as for Mr.blogger: you don't have to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:42 PM
  #43
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Burke has completely overhauled the roster and has yet to win any games from it...
Leafs are winless in the past 3 years?? Where have I been?

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:21 AM
  #44
Kylie Sven Opossum
Registered User
 
Kylie Sven Opossum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Leafs, not winning enough, therefore, watch other sports, for winning.

I've given this plenty of thought...

Kylie Sven Opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:07 PM
  #45
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Other NHL team moves like for example say Carolina trading for a top line centre in Jordan Staal and signing UFA Alex Semin and then competing for a similar playoff spot in the Eastern conference is a greater pressure point on Burke and his own longevity that transactions in other sports.

I agree that if other major sports within the same city are having success, and he is not then it emphasizes his failures as there is a desire for Leaf fans to want similar success for reasons on envy, and the pressure point is greater through public opinion. Other examples of how those teams gained success would be fan factors in hoping Burke could emulate success by similar means, but not as much for Burke himself unless he believed that was a solution to his situation and team improvement.

If the Argo's win the Grey Cup that is a benefit to the city overall, but not a direct example of what Burke needs to do himself in terms of emulating transaction(s) in order to attempt to emulate success.
Suitable point made.

Not sure in what world Jordan Staal is a top line centre though?

I sure hope that label is applied that easily to the Leafs newest acquisitions come next season. It will take some of the unnecessary pressure of Burke, that's for sure.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:26 PM
  #46
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
When did Kolzig become a Leaf?? How long have I been sleeping?? Damn you Jack Daniels and Nyquil
Ooops.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:28 PM
  #47
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
When did Kolzig become a Leaf?? How long have I been sleeping?? Damn you Jack Daniels and Nyquil
He was a Leaf for a bit but never dressed up as he was injured.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
  #48
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
I feel like I had a couple minutes stolen from me in reading that artical and this thread.

The Leafs are not too worried about the Blue Jays or the Argos. Over the years there have been Grey Cups and World Series and never has it hurt the Leafs, now suddenly it might ?

Burke was hired to build a team that will compete long term, that means setting a foundation in place and building on that. Why would this suddenly change ?

If the new ownership group have suddenly decided they need to win now (which is possible) then maybe they have met with Burke and told him to end the retool/rebuild and start trying to win now, but until we know this for a fact assumptions Burke is under pressure for immediate results are mere speculation.

Assuming the folks at Rogers/Bell are smarter than the average HF poster Burke can point to the LA Kings and say, that is what I am trying to do. THey will probably see that a rebuild does not happen in three years and leave him alone.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  #49
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
I dont get how you can compare the two GM's, the only similairity is both are running at best mediocre teams but the big difference is MLB doesn't have a salary cap whereas the NHL does.

Ever since the NHL put in a cap, very rarely do you see any trades occuring before deadline day and any trades pdd (predeadline day) are very minor, nobody in the NHL makes big wave trades and it has to do with the cap.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
  #50
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,627
vCash: 500
As much as I like what the Blue Jays are doing let's not get to excited. They still need to play, and if anyone hasn't forgotten the jays have a longer playoff drought than the leafs. Aa makes a trade so this city instatntly goes to burke and says he needs to make things happen. What a joke. Fans will support any winner in any town, and just cause one our teams is winning doesn't mean the others have too.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.