HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G John Gibson (2011, 39th overall, Anaheim)

Old
10-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
i'm saying 13-14 not this year
Even that is pushing it. He'll get his chance, though.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Wished Leafs had Gibson. Looks to be a stud goalie prospects. Jealous

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:15 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Wished Leafs had Gibson. Looks to be a stud goalie prospects. Jealous
I was actually hoping Subban or Dansk would fall to you guys cause at this point as far as goalies go I feel bad for you guys. AND we got Andersen this year who was one of the SEL's best goalies.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:41 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 1598
Loved Gibson in his draft year, thought he was super under appreciated. I had him ranked as a late 1st rounder. Ducks have a great prospect.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I was actually hoping Subban or Dansk would fall to you guys cause at this point as far as goalies go I feel bad for you guys. AND we got Andersen this year who was one of the SEL's best goalies.
Yeah Leafs I believe were after Dansk in the 2nd round but got picked just before our pick.

The biggest mistake teams could make is buying into WJC hype. I am not saying Jack Campbell is all hype but his value rocketed because of his WJC. His a fine goalie prospect, but Gibson is everything you'd want in a goalie prospect and backs it all up with his performance consistently.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Yeah Leafs I believe were after Dansk in the 2nd round but got picked just before our pick.

The biggest mistake teams could make is buying into WJC hype. I am not saying Jack Campbell is all hype but his value rocketed because of his WJC. His a fine goalie prospect, but Gibson is everything you'd want in a goalie prospect and backs it all up with his performance consistently.
You're definitely right about the WJC thing. As a leaf fan I still remember Pogge.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Ducks definitely made out nicely in the trade, getting both Rakell and Gibson is like drafting two 1st rounders. Not to mention, I personally would have taken Rakell over our own pick Tyler Biggs due to higher upside, and that is something we would need more than an effective 3rd liner.

btw, before any of the fellow Leafs fans jump out on me, I would like to say, I am not hating on the pick, and I think Biggs will be a valuable player down the road, but when u think about his likely potential, nabbing on someone like Jenner, Rattie, etc would have been much better.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Ducks definitely made out nicely in the trade, getting both Rakell and Gibson is like drafting two 1st rounders. Not to mention, I personally would have taken Rakell over our own pick Tyler Biggs due to higher upside, and that is something we would need more than an effective 3rd liner.

btw, before any of the fellow Leafs fans jump out on me, I would like to say, I am not hating on the pick, and I think Biggs will be a valuable player down the road, but when u think about his likely potential, nabbing on someone like Jenner, Rattie, etc would have been much better.
I'm not a fan of Rakkel at all. I'm very happy with Biggs and Percy but I like Gibson over both.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:

i would agree with this, but I really like Rakell

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:

I think Rakell is part of the reason why Boudreau stopped saying we needed a center after prospect camp. I hated that pick on draft day, but after watching him in Plymouth, I think it may be one of the best picks Murray has made.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I'm not a fan of Rakkel at all. I'm very happy with Biggs and Percy but I like Gibson over both.
Of course your not.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Kitch fans have been singing his praises for a while now.

Kitchener has a very good team, loaded with high-end guys like NHL 1st rounders Murphy, Puempel and Faksa and a number of other guys on NHL radar like Rieder, McEneny, Marcantuoni, etc. So in fairness, to suggest they only win because of Gibson is unfair. They're well above average and were something like .750 last year with Palazzese starting.

However, the point with Gibson is that they can afford to change their game with him in net. It's the Patrick Roy syndrom with the 1993 Habs. The team has an all new confidence knowing that the opponent just isn't getting much by him. Bide your time and strike two or three times and it's over.

And where is the slump? That guy never plays a weak game. He had maybe a stretch of 4 or 5 games last year where he was a bit off and just so-so. Otherwise, he's a rock. He could be one of the three stars in every game. It's ridiculous.

I had made the comment about him being the best I have seen in 20 years in that league and I stand by it. I have seen thousands of games in that period and all of the teams, including elite goalies like Mason, Murphy, Houser, Wedgewood, Emery, etc. and none had the technique AND consistency like he does. I struggle to think of one thing that'll hold him back at the pro level.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Nice insight. Makes me proud and excited

Old
10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Kitchener has a very good team, loaded with high-end guys like NHL 1st rounders Murphy, Puempel and Faksa and a number of other guys on NHL radar like Rieder, McEneny, Marcantuoni, etc. So in fairness, to suggest they only win because of Gibson is unfair. They're well above average and were something like .750 last year with Palazzese starting.

However, the point with Gibson is that they can afford to change their game with him in net. It's the Patrick Roy syndrom with the 1993 Habs. The team has an all new confidence knowing that the opponent just isn't getting much by him. Bide your time and strike two or three times and it's over.

And where is the slump? That guy never plays a weak game. He had maybe a stretch of 4 or 5 games last year where he was a bit off and just so-so. Otherwise, he's a rock. He could be one of the three stars in every game. It's ridiculous.

I had made the comment about him being the best I have seen in 20 years in that league and I stand by it. I have seen thousands of games in that period and all of the teams, including elite goalies like Mason, Murphy, Houser, Wedgewood, Emery, etc. and none had the technique AND consistency like he does. I struggle to think of one thing that'll hold him back at the pro level.
Rushing him?

It certainly shouldn't be an issue in Anaheim with Hiller as their starter, but rushing a goaltender seems like it can stall their development for a period, and hurt their confidence.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Rushing him?

It certainly shouldn't be an issue in Anaheim with Hiller as their starter, but rushing a goaltender seems like it can stall their development for a period, and hurt their confidence.
If they develop him well, the sky is the limit for this kid.

In my own personal opinion he could easily be a top 5-10 goalie in the NHL in the future (if developed right). He has so many elite qualities and not one weakness or flaw in his game. Size, athletiscm, quickness, vision, smarts, puck handling, and his natural abilities. It's an unreal package.

I might be getting carried away but I don't remember ever being as impressed with a goalie prospect as I have with Gibson. It helps he plays for my team in Kitchener but I have a lot of Knight fans as friends and even they love Gibson!

Old
10-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
If they develop him well, the sky is the limit for this kid.

In my own personal opinion he could easily be a top 5-10 goalie in the NHL in the future (if developed right). He has so many elite qualities and not one weakness or flaw in his game. Size, athletiscm, quickness, vision, smarts, puck handling, and his natural abilities. It's an unreal package.

I might be getting carried away but I don't remember ever being as impressed with a goalie prospect as I have with Gibson. It helps he plays for my team in Kitchener but I have a lot of Knight fans as friends and even they love Gibson!
That's nice to hear. I was pretty cautious with my optimism of him when we first drafted him. Goalies can be so volatile. One great game followed by a terrible one. A real good season followed by an awful one. It's easy to get excited over a season, or a tournament, and then get crushed a bit when it doesn't amount to anything. I wanted to see how he did over the long term before I got too excited.

What's really impressed me with Gibson so far is that there doesn't seem to be that volatility in Gibson's career, to date. There don't seem to be a lot of highs and lows; just a lot of great goaltending. That speaks well of his future. It's that type of consistency that can separate the good goalies from the great ones.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:45 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

In my view, his greatest asset is his complete calmness in the crease. He just doesn't get flustered by bodies around him, he just calmly tracks the puck and covers it. That calmness and confidence bolsters the defense in front of him.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Rushing him?

Agreed. I don't think Anaheim will have that problem with Hiller, Fasth and Bobkov ahead of Gibson. I think they are all stopgaps until Gibson is NHL ready. Obviously Hiller has played well over the last few years but the true next #1 in Anaheim is Gibson, IMO.

I would not be surprised at all to see Kitchener in the Memorial Cup this year.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post

I've attended the first ever game for the Rangers (50 years ago) and only missed a handful of games each season and I've zero issues with anything you've posted. IMHO Gibson is the best that I've ever seen in junior hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
In my view, his greatest asset is his complete calmness in the crease. He just doesn't get flustered by bodies around him, he just calmly tracks the puck and covers it. That calmness and confidence bolsters the defense in front of him.
But he'll duke it out with anybody that takes liberties with him!
But yes.....he's so calm and doesn't get flustered. Sometimes I worry when the puck is in the other end that he may fall asleep!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:02 AM
johnnyutah

bumped, looks like hes having a good start so far statistically, atleast. I think this kid has a chance to be a legit starter in a couple years, a steal at 39th?

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:34 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Looks like it. Norfolk sure could use him. The goaltending is awful.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:31 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Really think this guy's going to be a good 1 in the NHL. He has future #1 goalie potential written all over him.

11-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Looks like it. Norfolk sure could use him. The goaltending is awful.
He's too young for the role of saving the goalie situation in Norfolk.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Kulemon

I think he's actually the most underrated prospect in the league. Considering he is one of, if not the best goaltending prospect in the league and he is never mentioned in top 100 lists and when people list the top goaltending prospects, he is never mentioned.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:18 AM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
I think he's actually the most underrated prospect in the league. Considering he is one of, if not the best goaltending prospect in the league and he is never mentioned in top 100 lists and when people list the top goaltending prospects, he is never mentioned.
It's because he's an Anaheim prospect. If he played for Toronto he would be the next Patrick Roy.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote