HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

How much do you think looks matter when it comes to jobs?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:14 AM
jimmythescot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
I'm going to have to side with Hugh Mann on this one. That stereotype is now completely outdated. I've been in gay bars before (don't ask) and all the older men in there just look like regular blokes who would have a wife and kids, the younger ones all just look like your average hipster.

In my experiences, the ones who do act like the stereotype aren't actually like that and are just doing it for attention.
I'd agree with that. I have an old friend from school who came out after we left and you'd never have guessed in a million years. And you still wouldn't today. Saying that, and maybe it was just CC Blooms in Edinburgh in the late 90s, there were a few guys who seemed like precursors to Louie Spence. Female friends dragged me in there because they thought it was funny to see me turning guys down. Always awful, especially since I felt that they should feel free in there to approach people without the fear associated with what I imagine is socially awkward in asking someone if they're gay.

EDIT: But the vast majority were normal guys. It's just those guys catch your eye. It would be like saying all girls dress in a way that attracts a lot of attention, or that all straight guys are loud and obnoxious.

A Scottish comedian was saying that if being gay was a lifestyle choice there wouldn't be a straight man on the planet. We'd all be playing xbox, going to the football and getting blue jackets every night.

EDIT2: Oops. Louie Spence, not Walsh.

Last edited by jimmythescot: 11-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Florentino Ariza

Maybe you wouldn't guess because he is one of the gays who doesn't seem gay. But I bet if you have any gaydar at all, you would begin to get an idea that he is gay based on his mannerisms. I have a close friend who is gay and he is not flamboyant at all (it's easier to tell that his friends are gay), but if you spent any time around him you would start to suspect it based on how he acts.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Trap Jesus

I think at least some of it can be applied to the notion that attractive people are likely to be more confident in general.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
octopi

In my job, it's better to not be gorgeous. I'm already dealing with every old rooster on his last crow, I don't want to be hit on by all of them. With their bad eyesight and my slight babyface, I usually pass for the age of their grandkids.In other words,to you i may look unattractive, but to them i'm usually the hottest thing they've seen in a couple decades. i'm not going to take makeup classes and look ravishing.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Renowned socioeconomist Al Bundy put it best. "Pretty women make us buy beer, ugly women make us drink beer".

It's huge in sales or service industries. You're not going to buy acne cream from a lady at the mall if she's got a mustache. The less you're required to deal with the public, the lower the standard goes.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

In customer service it matters very much. Call me shallow but I think I'd rather have someone cute serve me rather than someone who isn't cute.

11-24-2012, 04:27 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I think at least some of it can be applied to the notion that attractive people are likely to be more confident in general.
I am not sure I agree with this.

buddahsmoka1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
OilerNut*

I find at my place they hire technical people based of how good they can BS rather than skill.

Pisses me off so much...

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote