HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 11:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...r-modo-for-khk

Erik Nyström loaned to Allsvenskan team Karlskrona.
Thanks for the link, interesting news since his contract with Modo is up at the end of the season, so getting some time in the 2nd league should be a good test for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
One of the bottom teams, he should get some icetime there.
Good to hear as well, looking forward to hearing how it goes for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Awesome thanks! Yeah I should've said besides his size and off ice issues.

One thing I don't like is that NCAA don't play a lot of games and that usually means they have more time to get bigger and I don't know if Kristo's taken full advantage of that. Saying that, he still has time and he seems fairly strong for his size.
Kristo has filled out a little but it's too bad that he didn't add more. With his speed, we'll see what kind of impact his lack of size will have or if he can overcome it when he turns the jets on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Sweet! So is management reading this site? Don't know whether they have say in these overseas matters but somebody seems to be on top of both Collberg and Nystrom's respective development situations.
The Habs management wouldn't have a say in overseas matters. I'm sure they speak to the coach about their player but there's nothing they can do about how the player is handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
He's got a beautiful one-timer it's in the net by the time the goalie starts looking his way over and over and over etc.on that ability alone he stands out from most hockey players.
He does have an impressive one timer. That point shot is wicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post
Nyström has spent the entire season with the junior team and I've watched a majority of their home games. While he still is arguably the most skilled player on the team with great skating, hands and hockey IQ, he's also by far the most selfish player on the team. He holds on to the puck for too long, he always tries to make that extra deke (often in dangerous situations) and don't really put much effort in his defensive game at all.

This combined with ruomored attitude problems seem to have cemented him on the junior team while several other junior players have been "called up" to the senior team for both practise and SEL action.

He has however started to play a bit more team-oriented lately, and the fact that Modo now is giving him the opportunity to play professional hockey in the 2nd tier league might indicate a change in attitude.

This should be a good move for Nyström anyway though since he's obviously to skilled to actually make any progress as a player in the Swedish junior leagues. Battling physically superior opponents in a men's league is probably exactly what he (and his ego) needs to develop.
Thanks for the report, interesting to read.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Fozz

I don't see why a guy that's 5'11" - 185lbs would be considered as lacking size. Especially when the skating is there. Sure, Kristo isn't a big player but there are tons of successful NHLers with similar size.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't see why a guy that's 5'11" - 185lbs would be considered as lacking size. Especially when the skating is there. Sure, Kristo isn't a big player but there are tons of successful NHLers with similar size.
That is undersized and those numbers may be inflated. He looks small and definitely is physically weak.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
That is undersized and those numbers may be inflated. He looks small and definitely is physically weak.
That's not undersized for his age, 5'11" isn't big but it is average.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
From what I've seen, Kristo just has a smallish frame compared to others on the ice. He can use his quickness to win 1 on 1 battles in motion, but he won't be pushing anyone off the puck while standing still.

IMO height and weight don't mean much. Watching players like Subban, AKostitsyn and Emelin use their strength and body position to win battles, compared to players like BPouliot getting rubbed out of the play... a couple of shifts can speak louder than measurements.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
onice

Quote:
How old do you think he is? 14? He's 22. I hope you don't expect him to grow anymore. You'll be disappointed.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
How old do you think he is? 14? He's 22. I hope you don't expect him to grow anymore. You'll be disappointed.
Not referring to height.
He can easily bulk up a bit more.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
From what I've seen, Kristo just has a smallish frame compared to others on the ice. He can use his quickness to win 1 on 1 battles in motion, but he won't be pushing anyone off the puck while standing still.

IMO height and weight don't mean much. Watching players like Subban, AKostitsyn and Emelin use their strength and body position to win battles, compared to players like BPouliot getting rubbed out of the play... a couple of shifts can speak louder than measurements.
That's a good way to put it. Kristo has impressive speed and he can hit top gear very quickly so it really helps him as he's often the fastest player or among in every game he plays but the question will be if his speed will overcome his lack of lower body strength. Agreed on height as I don't put much stock into it but weight I do like to see but as long as the lower body strength is there then that becomes much more important. But good examples of players that use their strength.

Quote:
Not referring to height.
He can easily bulk up a bit more.
I would think that if it was easy to bulk up a bit more, he would have already done so since he was drafted almost 5 years ago. Hopefully he his sake he does add some mass and strength although I also don't think a couple years in the AHL where he can hopefully improve physically would not be a bad thing at all since he's highly skilled and very fast so that can be a lot of fun to watch.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:06 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Nyström has spent the entire season with the junior team and I've watched a majority of their home games. While he still is arguably the most skilled player on the team with great skating, hands and hockey IQ, he's also by far the most selfish player on the team. He holds on to the puck for too long, he always tries to make that extra deke (often in dangerous situations) and don't really put much effort in his defensive game at all.

This combined with ruomored attitude problems seem to have cemented him on the junior team while several other junior players have been "called up" to the senior team for both practise and SEL action.

He has however started to play a bit more team-oriented lately, and the fact that Modo now is giving him the opportunity to play professional hockey in the 2nd tier league might indicate a change in attitude.

This should be a good move for Nyström anyway though since he's obviously to skilled to actually make any progress as a player in the Swedish junior leagues. Battling physically superior opponents in a men's league is probably exactly what he (and his ego) needs to develop.
awesome. much appreciated. Like what others said, Defense and attitude could just be from playing too long in a league he's too good for. Like to hear that he has high hockey IQ as well. Hopefully he can do well in the Allsvenskan league.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Vail does have a pretty good season right now but the fact that he's somewhat slowing down will affect his chances for a possible WJC. He was already a longshot, he had to have an incredible 1st half. Very good so far but he needs to pick it up again.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
FrankMTL

Does anybody have any idea when Canada or the USA will release the list of invited players for the WJC training camps? Also the date these camps start?

Old
11-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Does anybody have any idea when Canada or the USA will release the list of invited players for the WJC training camps? Also the date these camps start?
Not sure about when the lists are out. But we have nothing to worry about for Hudon, he's going to be at the camp. Gally is obvious and I would imagine Vail would be at the camp, at least.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...ckey_notebook/

Quote:
The World Junior Selection camp which begins in Calgary on Dec. 10.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642605

Quote:
USA Hockey announced that the U.S. National Junior Team selection camp will be held Dec. 16-18 at the MSG Training Center in Greenburgh, N.Y., the New York Rangers' practice facility.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:15 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I would think USA's should be out in a week or so. Gally and Vail will be there from what i've heard.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:23 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Vail does have a pretty good season right now but the fact that he's somewhat slowing down will affect his chances for a possible WJC. He was already a longshot, he had to have an incredible 1st half. Very good so far but he needs to pick it up again.
Vail is now out of the top 20. I hope he racks up a lot of points in the next few games so he may be selected for team US.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Not sure about when the lists are out. But we have nothing to worry about for Hudon, he's going to be at the camp. Gally is obvious and I would imagine Vail would be at the camp, at least.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...ckey_notebook/

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642605
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I would think USA's should be out in a week or so. Gally and Vail will be there from what i've heard.
Thanks guys. I didn't have a chance to see the Quebec/Russia Subway Super Series, so I can't wait to see Hudon on the big stage. Hopefully he makes the team.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:08 AM
zzoo

A link to follow NCAA players (Kristo):
http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...men/2012-2013/

Old
11-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I did an exclusive interview with Mark MacMillan which will be published this weekend.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Thanks guys. I didn't have a chance to see the Quebec/Russia Subway Super Series, so I can't wait to see Hudon on the big stage. Hopefully he makes the team.
Based on this quote by the guy picking the team:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...des-points.php

Quote:
Prendergast dit avoir déjà été conquis par Hudon, choix de cinquième ronde du Canadien en 2012.

«Il a été notre meilleur compteur au tournoi Ivan-Hlinka. Donc, ça n'a pas été une grande surprise pour moi de constater qu'il a été dominant contre les Russes en août. C'est l'un de mes joueurs favoris depuis un an. J'ai été surpris qu'il soit repêché seulement en cinquième ronde. La mode semble favoriser à nouveau les joueurs imposants, mais il joue comme s'il était un joueur costaud et on le verra dans la LNH.»

Hudon is all but assured of his spot on the WJC team. Only a really bad camp probably takes him off the team.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Nyström starts on the third line for Karlskrona in tonight's game.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Dada

Quote:
Nyström starts on the third line for Karlskrona in tonight's game.
Still 1-1 after 1 period, no pts yet for Nystrom

Old
11-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Based on this quote by the guy picking the team:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...des-points.php

Hudon is all but assured of his spot on the WJC team. Only a really bad camp probably takes him off the team.
I think only an injury will keep Hudon off that team.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
WaltWhitman

Last edited by WaltWhitman: 11-24-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old
11-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
Sick, sick goal by Danny, tonight.

Sorry this is a horrible way to show it, but it's better than nothing I guess.

His speed and hands were really working on this goal and he sold the fake shot well. You can see the goalie looking for his jock.

Is that a backhand top cheddar from the goal line ? Maybe it's just dirt on my screen

Old
11-23-2012, 09:48 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

For those who follow kristo, what would you have expected his output to be had he opted to play in the AHL this year? I almost never get to watch this guy.

Also:

BTW, speaking of WJC, nothing firm by any means but there's considerable talk about TOR and MTL sharing the 2015 and 2017 WJCs.

WJC in Montreal! Count me in!

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards

Last edited by overlords: 11-23-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 12:19 AM
WaltWhitman

Kristo Goal in HD

Closed Thread