HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Potentially big issue if the season starts up

Old
11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post

Montoya with the Jets and Islanders. That's hilarious. What kind of fantasy world do you live in that the Rangers traded Montoya? Will never happen.
No kidding, Montoya is gonna be a Ranger for years to come, if Lundquist can't lead them to a cup in the next season or two look to Montoya to take the reins for that club.

I laugh anytime I hear someone suggest that Montoya has played for other organizatons. It's like do they seriously believe that propaganda from TSN and Sportsnet and don't even get me started with ESPN.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Crott was my homie on the edmontonoilers.com forum back in the day. Let's give him a warm welcome lol.
Welcome aboard CROTT, remember what dnicks said...us people over here are ummm...just big Montoya fans.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:12 PM
CROTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Welcome aboard CROTT, remember what dnicks said...us people over here are ummm...just big Montoya fans.
Seams like I'm gonna fit in just fine here... I don't like donairs either...

CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:23 PM
CROTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Crott was my homie on the edmontonoilers.com forum back in the day. Let's give him a warm welcome lol.
lol, it took me a while to figure out who you are. good to see you around HAJ.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:43 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROTT View Post
Seams like I'm gonna fit in just fine here... I don't like donairs either...

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:29 AM
CROTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post

Man this threads gone sideways in a hurry...

Old
11-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROTT View Post

Man this threads gone sideways in a hurry...
You started it with the fantasy crap - Montoya with the Islanders and Jets.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
I'd leave Danis in the AHL and sign Dan Ellis. The guy is tearing it up in the AHL.

9 games in he has a 1.71 GAA and a .948 SP

Give him a one year deal.

#danellisproblems
Oh man as I was following the Barons game yesterday this post immediately came to mind.

What do his stats look like today?

Old
11-26-2012, 01:13 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Oh man as I was following the Barons game yesterday this post immediately came to mind.

What do his stats look like today?
LOL. #DanEllisProblems My post was pure sar casm btw.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
LOL. #DanEllisProblems My post was pure sar casm btw.
Oh I assumed that bit was just mocking his twitter abilities.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Don't worry, Montoya is UFA next summer. Obviously that's barring an extension from the Rags
umm... Montoya hasn't been in the Ranger's system for quite some time now.

Yes, I'm aware of the joke.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1977 View Post
Last season Dubnyk played 47GP - 2.67GAA - .914SPct
Previous Season 35GP - 2.71GAA - .916SPct

Last Season Luongo was 55GP - 2.41GAA - .919SPct on a much deeper Vancouver Team.

Others Comparables of Note:

Crawford: 57GP - 2.72GAA - .903SPct
Thomas: 59GP - 2.36GAA - .920SPct
Miller: 61GP - 2.55GAA - .916SPct
Price: 65GP - 2.43GAA - .916SPct
Brodeur: 59GP - 2.41GAA - .908SPct
VoKoun: 48GP - 2.51GAA - .917

Let's not jump off the cliff with DD just yet. The Oilers and their fans need to give DD a full season to see what they have.

Let us patch the holes in the defense first and I expect that we will start to see the overall numbers on DD to climb into the area of 60GP - 2.35GAA - 9.25SPct. That would put him in the top 10 starters in the league which is all we could ever expect.
Except the numbers don't tell the whole story with Dubnyk. He'll make enough saves to show decent numbers, but what the numbers don't tell are his penchant for throwing away horrible goals at the worst possible time, and complete inconsistency. It took him until February last season to start putting up NHL quality performances, which can't happen with a starter. An NHL starter needs to be good 90% of the time, not 50/50 at best with Dubnyk. I'm still hopeful that he can find a consistent game, but I'm not anything close to comfortable with Khabibulin/Danis as his backup in case of Dubnyk failure.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:40 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
I'd leave Danis in the AHL and sign Dan Ellis. The guy is tearing it up in the AHL.

9 games in he has a 1.71 GAA and a .948 SP

Give him a one year deal.

#danellisproblems
You know those numbers remind me of Khabby's in the first quarter of last year... 'cept he was up near .960 before the wheels fell off.

And anyway... why would anyone expect him to keep those numbers up? We played his wheels off while Dubby struggled to find his confidence. Our goaltending is entirely dependent on Dubby standing up and being a number 1. If he can do that,... and he'll get every chance whenever we start playing, Khabby is a perfect backup for another year.

We just need to give that old man a rest... that's all

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:42 PM
bucks_oil

oh... and secondly you guys are crazy. The only way we get Montoya from NYR is for one of the big four

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:16 PM
backhandsauce

Montoya sucks

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Except the numbers don't tell the whole story with Dubnyk. He'll make enough saves to show decent numbers, but what the numbers don't tell are his penchant for throwing away horrible goals at the worst possible time, and complete inconsistency. It took him until February last season to start putting up NHL quality performances, which can't happen with a starter. An NHL starter needs to be good 90% of the time, not 50/50 at best with Dubnyk. I'm still hopeful that he can find a consistent game, but I'm not anything close to comfortable with Khabibulin/Danis as his backup in case of Dubnyk failure.
Did you know that almost all goalies who are classified as "NHL starters" at least get to play with an NHL defense in front of them.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Krut

Quote:
Did you know that almost all goalies who are classified as "NHL starters" at least get to play with an NHL defense in front of them.
This excuse doesn't fly either. The quality of defense is almost a zero factor when you see Dubnyk letting in visible floaters from the blue line high glove side (his signature bed ******** move). Dubnyk has issues stopping the shots that he should save, which makes defensive performance irrelevant in the equation.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
This excuse doesn't fly either. The quality of defense is almost a zero factor when you see Dubnyk letting in visible floaters from the blue line high glove side (his signature bed ******** move). Dubnyk has issues stopping the shots that he should save, which makes defensive performance irrelevant in the equation.
Should a blue-line floater even make it to the net with a good defense?

Either way yes I'll concede he let in **** goals. But all goalies let in **** goals and I'm not really willing to pass much judgement on Dubnyk until we have filled the major holes. He definitely wasn't the reason the team finished dead last two seasons ago and wasn't the reason they finished 2nd-last last season.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Are you an expert?

A worse than average defense = a higher quantity of good scoring chanes given up. A defense like the Oilers had last year that can't clear a rebound or relieve constant pressure from the opposition plays a huge factor in a goalies performance.

Unless you have some sort of proof that Dubnyk lets in more soft goals than other goalies then your post is irrelevant and just an anti-Dubnyk rant.

The has been one stretch during his career where he was given the starters reigns and he excelled.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Are you an expert?

A worse than average defense = a higher quantity of good scoring chanes given up. A defense like the Oilers had last year that can't clear a rebound or relieve constant pressure from the opposition plays a huge factor in a goalies performance.

Unless you have some sort of proof that Dubnyk lets in more soft goals than other goalies then your post is irrelevant and just an anti-Dubnyk rant.

The has been one stretch during his career where he was given the starters reigns and he excelled.
I don't have a problem if Dubnyk gives up a goal that he isn't at fault for. That isn't my issue with him, and yes, he did play well in the final two months of last season.

I don't think I need statistical proof to point out that Dubnyk has a tendency to give up an awful goal at the worst possible times. Anyone who watched him play last year would know this.

You can view the situation however you want, but two months of solid play is not good enough to have two woeful options to back him up in case we see the horrible Dubnyk that we got to see the first half of last season IMO.

You can fly with a ****** backup if you know for certain that you are going to get quality play from your starter the vast majority of the time, but I haven't seen anything close to that from Dubnyk to be comfortable with Bulin/Danis as his backup.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:34 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Well then I can point out that Dubnyk doesn't give up weak goals at the worst times. Infact he makes huge saves that he has no business making more often than other goalies in the league at crucial times in games.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Krut

Quote:
Well then I can point out that Dubnyk doesn't give up weak goals at the worst times. Infact he makes huge saves that he has no business making more often than other goalies in the league at crucial times in games.
At points in his play last season, sure. I'm not sure why you're in denial about his play up until February last season. When you have a guy that played 50% horrible and 50% good without much in between, I'm not sure how you can trust him enough to have collective garbage backing him up.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
oh... and secondly you guys are crazy. The only way we get Montoya from NYR is for one of the big four
One of the big four?

Uhhhh for Montoya....

Try two or three of the big four honestly maybe all of them.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Exactly. This is what I've been saying all along. It all evens out. It's not like he has an .800 save percentage or something

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
At points in his play last season, sure. I'm not sure why you're in denial about his play up until February last season. When you have a guy that played 50% horrible and 50% good without much in between, I'm not sure how you can trust him enough to have collective garbage backing him up.
He had never been given a chance to run with it up until February last season.

Hard for him to prove anything when his coach is a complete moron when it comes to managing goalies