Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Who scored more goals? Where / how were those goals scored? Answer those two, and then tell me the PP didn't contribute to winning the game.

Pasquale did play very well, but you have to give some credit to a special team that's been struggling as of late.

Or not.
Pasquale gives IceCaps a present on his birthday

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...his-birthday/1

Guess I'm not the only one who realizes that when your goalie stops 45 of 46 shots he probably is your game star.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Pasquale gives IceCaps a present on his birthday

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...his-birthday/1

Guess I'm not the only one who realizes that when your goalie stops 45 of 46 shots he probably is your game star.
Did you actually read what you quoted?

Old
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
I was at the game, and undoubtedly Pasquale was the first star. The Bulldogs got a crossbar and a post in the third. After the play went up the ice Eddie lovingly tapped the post with his glove. It was funny. Dekanich gets the nod tonight.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Wrong, watched parts of the game and saw a strong goalie performance, Burmi involved on all three goals. First star still PASQUALE.
I think its because a combination of your previous comments form the context to your last ones; your comments read out initially like Burmistrov's achievements were insignificant and non-existant. Not saying that's what you meant or not.

Obvious Eddie had an awesome game. Watching him was awesome as he played so solid positionally, although there were a few scares that the other team didn't capitalize on luckily. But, that doesn't diminish someone else's contributions or abilities, just compounds the overall contributions that led to the win.

I do have a few bones to pick with some IceCaps players, as some haven't been as strong as I was hoping for. But, with increased quality in the league, I guess you have to expect everyone of the AHL regs to take a step back... I guess... I'd rather not though.

Old
11-21-2012, 05:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Klingberg with a toe-drag goal

Old
11-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

I'm gonna have to wait for highlights to see Klingbergs goal. Saw it in crappy stream quality, definitely didnt do it justice .

Old
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Stream: http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1546...-ice-caps.html

Old
11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
sipowicz
The Original

^Thanks for the stream link.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:19 PM
MrMariusz

more b2b horror...

Old
11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
newfchef

Problem

I have watched nearly every icecap game this season and tonight I think i figured out what a major issue is with them, They have no tough guy. Yes they have toughness and team toughness or whatever. They have no one to go out and take care of a Zach Stortini type who was running postma and redmond all night totally throwing them off. Then he was at sawada who can handle himself but he should not have to. Garth Murray was there last year. Obviously that won't solve all the problems but it will make teams a little more aware and accountable.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfchef View Post
I have watched nearly every icecap game this season and tonight I think i figured out what a major issue is with them, They have no tough guy. Yes they have toughness and team toughness or whatever. They have no one to go out and take care of a Zach Stortini type who was running postma and redmond all night totally throwing them off. Then he was at sawada who can handle himself but he should not have to. Garth Murray was there last year. Obviously that won't solve all the problems but it will make teams a little more aware and accountable.
Yea I have to say its a bit surprising......you need at leat one semi functional player tough guy in a team IMHO.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:29 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfchef View Post
That could help, but I truly believe they've been hit with a spell of bad luck.

If they keep doing things as they have, more pucks will go in.

Garret linked it earlier, but the fact that Machacek, Burmi and Maxwell had put 100 shots on net and only had 6 goals to show for it is pretty wild and is very unlikely to continue.

Team shooting % dropping from 10% to 7% is pretty shocking too.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea I have to say its a bit surprising......you need at leat one semi functional player tough guy in a team IMHO.
Don't agree at all. I am a strong believer in "team toughness". You have guys throughout the lineup that can defend themselves, but you can look at a team like Los Angeles which drove their reputation as a big strong hard hitting "tough" team with very few guys that fought. Kyle Clifford, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Matt Greene, Mike Richards, Colin Fraser all WILL drop them to varying degrees, but hell other than Nolan and Clifford mostly they are terrible at fighting. What they did was wear down the other teams with speed, hitting, cycle, driving the net, etc, actually playing hockey. Other teams want to have tough guys like Stortini, exploit them by skating around them and letting them take penalties, IMO.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

In today's day and age, and game, I think it boils down to if you're going to have a tough guy, he has to be able to play. Which then leads me to what Holden said, team toughness. Team toughness is quite difficult to defend against in comparison to worrying about one guy. Not to mention when you have a guy like Stortini who you can only play 5-7 minutes a night, that just completely defeats the purpose of rolling 4 lines because you've got a guy who is hurting that 4th lines contributions.

One tough guy can keep players honest to a certain extent, but knowing you have a team littered with guys willing to go toe to toe with you, but also play the game tough as Holden mentioned, is much more effective, I think.

I'll take 5 scrappy, physical, can hold their own guys throughout my teams line-up who can play over the toughest guy in the league if he's only good for 5-7 minutes of icetime a game. And you know what? when the going gets tough and the games mean something, the "tough guy" who is good for 5-7 minutes a game is generally stapled to the bench because he can't contribute when needed most. Just a waste in my opinion.

Give me the trust of a full out, 4 line attack who a coach can trust to do the job needed when it counts most. LA demonstrated that blueprint to a tee. They had guys who could play but they would also go through a wall for the guy beside them.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=142820  3509

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
The Kings had Westgarth and Jordan Nolan in their lineup during the season. Both guys are a hell of a lot tougher then anyone currently on the IceCaps. I am surprised they went into the season without some bonafide toughness. The AHL is a much league then the NHL and most teams carrry at least 1 if not 2 tough guys

Old
11-23-2012, 02:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
In today's day and age, and game, I think it boils down to if you're going to have a tough guy, he has to be able to play. Which then leads me to what Holden said, team toughness. Team toughness is quite difficult to defend against in comparison to worrying about one guy. Not to mention when you have a guy like Stortini who you can only play 5-7 minutes a night, that just completely defeats the purpose of rolling 4 lines because you've got a guy who is hurting that 4th lines contributions.

One tough guy can keep players honest to a certain extent, but knowing you have a team littered with guys willing to go toe to toe with you, but also play the game tough as Holden mentioned, is much more effective, I think.

I'll take 5 scrappy, physical, can hold their own guys throughout my teams line-up who can play over the toughest guy in the league if he's only good for 5-7 minutes of icetime a game. And you know what? when the going gets tough and the games mean something, the "tough guy" who is good for 5-7 minutes a game is generally stapled to the bench because he can't contribute when needed most. Just a waste in my opinion.

Give me the trust of a full out, 4 line attack who a coach can trust to do the job needed when it counts most. LA demonstrated that blueprint to a tee. They had guys who could play but they would also go through a wall for the guy beside them.
I agree.

Teams like Detroit and Nashville have done pretty well without much in the way of fighting. I want hockey players that can play hockey better than opponents. A team can be plenty tough without spending a bunch of time in the penalty box.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
The Kings had Westgarth and Jordan Nolan in their lineup during the season. Both guys are a hell of a lot tougher then anyone currently on the IceCaps. I am surprised they went into the season without some bonafide toughness. The AHL is a much league then the NHL and most teams carrry at least 1 if not 2 tough guys
The Caps are struggling to fit everybody into their lineup as is.

Keeping players like Cody Sol and Norm Ezekiel would take ice time away from "more important" long term prospects and wouldn't add anything in the goals for / against department.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Hmmm that is a good point about the Caps lacking a certain toughness; another team may see it as weakness and take some liberties (as mentioned Postma and Redmond).

What are your guys thoughts on picking up, say, Raitis Ivanans, Tom Kostopoulos, Francis Lessard (to a lesser extent), or veteran D-man Jim Vandermeer? I believe Jay Rosehill is still available, if so he'd be my pick. Him or Kostopoulos.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:00 PM
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Don't agree at all. I am a strong believer in "team toughness". You have guys throughout the lineup that can defend themselves, but you can look at a team like Los Angeles which drove their reputation as a big strong hard hitting "tough" team with very few guys that fought. Kyle Clifford, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Matt Greene, Mike Richards, Colin Fraser all WILL drop them to varying degrees, but hell other than Nolan and Clifford mostly they are terrible at fighting. What they did was wear down the other teams with speed, hitting, cycle, driving the net, etc, actually playing hockey. Other teams want to have tough guys like Stortini, exploit them by skating around them and letting them take penalties, IMO.
I hear what you and Guerzy are saying and I prefer team toughness as well but if you can't punish an aggressive opponent with your power play (Detroit Nashville) and you don't have team toughness (ice caps) then it opens you up to getting run. It's sounds like teams took liberties with the caps last year and it's happening again this year from what some Caps fans are saying. I am not a fan of the "GOON" type player but I am also not a fan of having nobody (other than Macho) that can rise to a challenge. A "functional" tough guy in my mind is someone more like Shawn Thornton or Chris Neil and I think the Caps could use that type of asset.

Once Lowry, Sutter, Kosmo, Yuen, and some of the other prospects begin populating the Caps I think the team toughness situation will take care of itself but for now they might need to think of a stop gap.

Last edited by ps241: 11-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 11:33 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I hear what you and Guerzy are saying and I prefer team toughness as well but if you can't punish an aggressive opponent with your power play (Detroit Nashville) and you don't have team toughness (ice caps) then it opens you up to getting run. It's sounds like teams took liberties with the caps last year and it's happening again this year from what some Caps fans are saying. I am not a fan of the "GOON" type player but I am also not a fan of having nobody (other than Macho) that can rise to a challenge. A "functional" tough guy in my mind is someone more like Shawn Thornton or Chris Neil and I think the Caps could use that type of asset.

Once Lowry, Sutter, Kosmo, Yuen, and some of the other prospects begin populating the Caps I think the team toughness situation will take care of itself but for now they might need to think of a stop gap.
Let's see if Boston will loan Krejci to the Caps.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

Stream with no sound: http://atdhenet.tv/52504/watch-provi...ns-vs-ice-caps

Old
11-24-2012, 05:41 PM
MrMariusz

Listening to Brian Rogers @ icecaps site + video stream.

A bit sloppy play on both sides, clearly neither team is in form. Providence has been a little better IMO, IceCaps need to be less passive on the offense, letting some great potential plays slip.

I liked what I saw on that early IceCaps PP.

The wait for King and Cormier to get back seems neverending :/

Last edited by MrMariusz: 11-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
DespoticNewt

The Bruins are completely dominating this second period.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
MrMariusz

Third PP! Have to score HERE!

The energy on the first two was GOOD.

/edit: ugh another scoreless pp

Old
11-24-2012, 06:29 PM
MrMariusz

OH COME ON.

TERRIBLE TIMING to let in a goal.
Devestating.

Wow.

On the bright side, they only let in 1 goal during their traditionally horrible second period.

Closed Thread