HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov KHL Thread #2 | 19GP: 10G-8A-18PTS | Next Game: Sometime...

Old
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Bank Shot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The coach is limiting Yakupov's ice time in an effort to make him just another back checker. He's doing this because he's a moron.

Hopefully, Krueger will be smart enough to derive substantial benefit from Nail's offensive gifts (offensive zone starts and powerplay time) while working around his defensive deficiencies (fewer defensive zone starts and not matched up against other team's stars).
Good forbid top offensive players should have to play some defense.

You don't win cups outscoring the opposition 6-5 all the way through the playoffs. I don't want the Oilers to be Washington2 bouncing out in the first or second round of the playoffs every season.

I hope every Oiler kid learns to be solid on both sides of the puck. Zetterberg and Datsyuk don't have Art Rosses but they have cup rings.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Good forbid top offensive players should have to play some defense.

You don't win cups outscoring the opposition 6-5 all the way through the playoffs. I don't want the Oilers to be Washington2 bouncing out in the first or second round of the playoffs every season.

I hope every Oiler kid learns to be solid on both sides of the puck. Zetterberg and Datsyuk don't have Art Rosses but they have cup rings.
Good coaches play to their player's strengths and put them in positions to succeed.

You want Stamkos to kill penalties? Get some third line time and learn how to backcheck? Or do you want him on the pp one-timing bombs into the back of the net?

You dont bring Clydesdale's to the race track and you dont hook your Thoroughbred up to a plow and put him out in the field.

On another note, does anyone think we could be in danger of losing Yakupov to the KHL permanently if the lockout goes into next season?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
On another note, does anyone think we could be in danger of losing Yakupov to the KHL permanently if the lockout goes into next season?
Not if his coach is as dumb as he seems. A stallion like Yakupov won't be contained for long.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Dabomb

I have no problems with his Russian coach limiting his ice time and making Yakupov focus a bit more on his defensive game. After watching the Super Series, I see some tendencies in Yakupov's defensive game that needs alot more work. Better to try and fix these issues now. Its not like doing so will make all his offensive talents go away. It will always be there. He's already proven he can score at this level. Making him a better defensive player will make him a better overall and complete player.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I think Yak's defensive game is being blown out of proportion. He knows how to stick check and hit. He can also read the play and has some good hockey IQ. He just needs to be coached to buy into a system (hopefully Kruegers).

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Russian coaching has been weird for a while now. It's not exclusive to Yakupov.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:24 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think Yak's defensive game is being blown out of proportion. He knows how to stick check and hit. He can also read the play and has some good hockey IQ. He just needs to be coached to buy into a system (hopefully Kruegers).

Tbh I haven't seen him throw a single hit in the KHL nor in the SSS. What makes you think he can hit? In fact, it seems to me he shies away from contact completely... Doesn't even engage in battles along the boards.

What I see is a guy who floats around in the defensive zone, waits for a breakout pass and gives next to no effort on the backcheck.

But whatever, we'll see how his game translates in the NHL.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:27 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
Tbh I haven't seen him throw a single hit in the KHL nor in the SSS. What makes you think he can hit? In fact, it seems to me he shies away from contact completely... Doesn't even engage in battles along the boards.

What I see is a guy who floats around in the defensive zone, waits for a breakout pass and gives next to no effort on the backcheck.

Watch some tape of him in Sarnia. He throws hits when he needs to. But there is also no point of him risking injury to throw needless hits as well.

Edit. Not to mention the Oilers throughout history have had some great players that never threw hits. Yak throws 10 times the amount of hits Gretzky or Kurri would.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Good coaches play to their player's strengths and put them in positions to succeed.

You want Stamkos to kill penalties? Get some third line time and learn how to backcheck? Or do you want him on the pp one-timing bombs into the back of the net?

You dont bring Clydesdale's to the race track and you dont hook your Thoroughbred up to a plow and put him out in the field.

He legally couldn't. The NHL and KHL have been good about enforcing it lately. When the lockout ends, Yak is ours for at least the next 3 years

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Dabomb

Quote:

I agree with your assessment about his defensive game during the SSS. Yakupov was not hard on the puck at all in the defensive zone, even when the puck was in his area of play. He often just stayed close to the blueline and was waiting for a breakout. But hey, he's young and that part of the game can be taught. Hemsky was kinda the same way when he first entered the league but has become a better defensive player with experience.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

can't tell if you're trolling or not, so i'll respond as if you aren't

yakupov was known for being an aggressor in the MUCH more physical OHL for the past 2 seasons.... a lot of people were calling him a "mini-ovi" for a reason afterall... yakupov is definitely does not shy away from contact at all

this is a patently absurd comment, that's why i can't tell if you're trolling or just ignorant

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I agree with your assessment about his defensive game during the SSS. Yakupov was not hard on the puck at all in the defensive zone, even when the puck was in his area of play. He often just stayed close to the blueline and was waiting for a breakout. But hey, he's young and that part of the game can be taught. Hemsky was kinda the same way when he first entered the league but has become a better defensive player with experience.
While I think Yakupov lacks intensity when playing defense I actually saw a lot of instances where he was playing very smart positional defense. He was often the first guy back, he covered for his dmen far better than any of his linemates and I dont think I saw him cherry picking at all. I guess everyone sees different things but I was actually hoping he Would cheat for offense once or twice, especially when the team was trailing.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

I guess you werent really watching or paying attention then.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
can't tell if you're trolling or not, so i'll respond as if you aren't

yakupov was known for being an aggressor in the MUCH more physical OHL for the past 2 seasons.... a lot of people were calling him a "mini-ovi" for a reason afterall... yakupov is definitely does not shy away from contact at all

this is a patently absurd comment, that's why i can't tell if you're trolling or just ignorant
I have heard he threw a few hits in the OHL quite a few times (including the one breaking the glass), but I can only comment on what I've seen and frankly, I've never seen him play in the OHL. I only described what I've seen of him this year, and honestly, I don't know how anyone can disagree with my assessment.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:05 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
I guess you werent really watching or paying attention then.
Nope, you're the one who hasn't been paying attention... Dig up some stats, and prove me right.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
You mean he was covering the point like he was supposed to be?

Imagine that?

Old
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
You mean he was covering the point like he was supposed to be?

Imagine that?
A good defensive winger doesn't ONLY cover his point man.. he also comes back a bit deeper into the zone when his help is needed. I didn't see Yakupov do that much. Even Bob McKenzie tweeted a similar criticism of Yakupov's game.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Nope, you're the one who hasn't been paying attention... Dig up some stats, and prove me right.
No... It's you. I was at the Vancouver game and he was very clearly throwing his weight around

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No... It's you. I was at the Vancouver game and he was very clearly throwing his weight around
Whatever man... People see what they want to see.

EDIT: Nevermind, I actually do remember now, a few instances where he was hitting guys when he seemed to get frustrated with himself

But fact remains that he sucks in the D-zone and hasn't been hitting at all in the KHL so far.

Last edited by franfrey*: 11-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:

Better coaches help players work on their weaknesses.

If Yakupov learns to play solid defense he suddenly isn't going to forget how to score. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hockey players aren't horses. The best players are the ones that can attack and defend, and ones that don't work on their weaknesses don't become the best. I think you must play too much shinny hockey if you actually believe that all scorers should do is focus on offence.

If a player refuses to back check one option is to limit his ice time until he does. Letting players play "me first" hockey is a recipe for a losing hockey club.

Last edited by Bank Shot: 11-23-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:12 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whatever man... People see what they want to see.

EDIT: Nevermind, I actually do remember now, a few instances where he was hitting guys when he seemed to get frustrated with himself

But fact remains that he sucks in the D-zone and hasn't been hitting at all in the KHL so far.
Sometimes, but he also was just laying the body for the sake of making the play (like the goal he set up in one of the last games). I watched every SSS game as well and just like everyone but you I saw him throwing his weight around a fair amount. Not sure about the KHL but in Sarnia and the SSS he was pretty aggressive. I think there is a quote somewhere floating around from his coach or trainer is Sarnia about this?

You also don't seem to understand the impact on a player playing under a system of a coach. It is a lot different under his coach in the KHL than it was in Sarnia or then it will be in EDM.

He also wasn't even that bad in the D-zone from what I saw in the SSS. Many people seem to be over exaggerating his "lazyness" in his own zone. We want him to not be a liability in our own zone (which he isn't) and have great offensive instincts (which he does). Yak will be fine.

Edit: And on top of all that Yak's best asset is not his skills it's his motivation to be the best and willingness to do anything for his team to win (not unlike Hall). They are both extremely passionate players who just want to play hockey and to win. Yak will work hard to improve anything our coaches think he needs to improve to help us win.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
A good defensive winger doesn't ONLY cover his point man.. he also comes back a bit deeper into the zone when his help is needed. I didn't see Yakupov do that much. Even Bob McKenzie tweeted a similar criticism of Yakupov's game.
Guess you weren't watching? In the 3 games I was able to watch I saw Yak winning the puck along the RW boards and either skating back to start the break out or passing off to the Dman.

I also saw him throwing hits around, he got a penalty for the uber low hipcheck in a game against the OHL team.
He also got into a few shoving matches with Lowe after the whistle and definitely wasn't shying away from the physical stuff. Don't know how anybody who watched him could not agree.

Kochlachev's goal against the WHL, he back checked a WHL forward trying to skate the puck out and turned it over resulting in a goal. Last time I checked that's about as effective a defensive play as you can make. Turning the puck over resulting in a goal for?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Guess you weren't watching? In the 3 games I was able to watch I saw Yak winning the puck along the RW boards and either skating back to start the break out or passing off to the Dman.

I also saw him throwing hits around, he got a penalty for the uber low hipcheck in a game against the OHL team.
He also got into a few shoving matches with Lowe after the whistle and definitely wasn't shying away from the physical stuff. Don't know how anybody who watched him could not agree.

Kochlachev's goal against the WHL, he back checked a WHL forward trying to skate the puck out and turned it over resulting in a goal. Last time I checked that's about as effective a defensive play as you can make. Turning the puck over resulting in a goal for?
Yep, that's the goal I was talking about in my post. Loved that play. His work ethic is unmatched.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Dabomb

Quote:

Actually I watched every game and while I am critical of his defensive game, I do recall some plays where he did make the right play on defense. I never said his defense was abysmal.. just that more often than not, he just didn't seem to be involved as he could have been. A few good plays yes, but most of the time he lacked the intensity. As for hitting, I'm not the one who argued that he didn't throw his body around. That was Yourface, not me.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Sometimes, but he also was just laying the body for the sake of making the play (like the goal he set up in one of the last games). I watched every SSS game as well and just like everyone but you I saw him throwing his weight around a fair amount. Not sure about the KHL but in Sarnia and the SSS he was pretty aggressive. I think there is a quote somewhere floating around from his coach or trainer is Sarnia about this?

You also don't seem to understand the impact on a player playing under a system of a coach. It is a lot different under his coach in the KHL than it was in Sarnia or then it will be in EDM.

He also wasn't even that bad in the D-zone from what I saw in the SSS. Many people seem to be over exaggerating his "lazyness" in his own zone. We want him to not be a liability in our own zone (which he isn't) and have great offensive instincts (which he does). Yak will be fine.

Edit: And on top of all that Yak's best asset is not his skills it's his motivation to be the best and willingness to do anything for his team to win (not unlike Hall). They are both extremely passionate players who just want to play hockey and to win. Yak will work hard to improve anything our coaches think he needs to improve to help us win.
Kokhlachev's goal wasn't the result of a hit, Yakupov was only pressuring him (which is good nonetheless).
And honestly, Yak IS a liability in his own zone no matter which way you cut it, and it's probably the reason why he's not getting much ice time in the KHL.