HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G John Gibson (2011, 39th overall, Anaheim)

Old
11-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
It's because he's an Anaheim prospect. If he played for Toronto he would be the next Patrick Roy.
That's a huge exaggeration but he would be talked about a lot more. As he should be. He's got star potential. Who knows if he reaches it.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Not trying to attack you or anything, but how many goalies took less than 3 years to make an immediate NHL impact. Goalies take longer. Always have, always will, regardless of the league they play for.
I believe Kari Lehtonen played in NHL when he was 19 or 20, if the goalie is good enough i can't see any reason why he couldn't jump straight in to the NHL. Tho Lehtonen is probably the most talented goalie last deacade. Too bad there has been loads of injuries.

Leehh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
He's too young for the role of saving the goalie situation in Norfolk.
Yep. He could very easily have as rough of a start as both of the guys down there.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:29 PM
ORYX

Its quite easy to suggest that he is the best goaltending prospect to skate through Kitchener, Steve Mason included.

He will be an NHL starter, I have no doubts about that. Not even basing that on the numbers, the way he commands the net is amazing. Very strong positioning, very strong rebound control, very quick side to side, and he makes it look effortless, like he isnt trying.

He is a very calm goalie, though will throw you a punch if you're jamming him up. The difference between him and a hot head, is after he marks his spot, he goes right back to being ontop of his game.

If you havent had a chance to catch him in action this year, I suggest you do, he was excellent last year, this year he is solely responsible for the Rangers record being above .500. Seriously. Look how many goals the team has scored, and the number of games Gibson only allows 1 or 2.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:54 PM
KlattNazty

Would love to do a prospect swap as TOR and ANA have done in the past for Gibson. Not sure if we have a player of similar value that interests ANA fans, but not sure if you guys truly need him (assuming Hiller rebounds) given the plethora of talent you have in the net.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Would love to do a prospect swap as TOR and ANA have done in the past for Gibson. Not sure if we have a player of similar value that interests ANA fans, but not sure if you guys truly need him (assuming Hiller rebounds) given the plethora of talent you have in the net.
He is our future if Hiller leaves or after him. Hiller is already 30 and only has a year left on his deal after this. I would expect him to get a 3-4 year or so deal after that with the plan to groom Gibson to take over when that contract is up.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:29 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
He is our future if Hiller leaves or after him. Hiller is already 30 and only has a year left on his deal after this. I would expect him to get a 3-4 year or so deal after that with the plan to groom Gibson to take over when that contract is up.
Wow, I definitely thought Hiller was no older than 26 or 27, still thought of him as a young goalie getting better, weird.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
Wow, I definitely thought Hiller was no older than 26 or 27, still thought of him as a young goalie getting better, weird.
He was like 26 when he first entered the NHL. That's probably what threw you off. He didn't come to the NHL as a prospect, but as a veteran goaltender.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
That's a huge exaggeration but he would be talked about a lot more. As he should be. He's got star potential. Who knows if he reaches it.
It really isn't. Justin Schultz went from obscurity, being lucky to make top 100 prospects lists to shooting to the top of everyone's rankings when he decided to leave Anaheim. Hell before anyone had even seen him play he was being considered the second best UFA defenseman available last year. Barely anyone knew about Gardiner then he became a Leaf. Barely anyone knew about Tangradi, but at the time of his trade to Pittsburgh everyone was calling him a future top 6 stud. Bobby Ryan is probably our one prospect who got the attention he deserved.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration, but there is definitely more truth to it than not. There just isn't much attention at all given to prospects in smaller markets, and the fanbases for these teams aren't usually the most vocal to begin with. Combine that with a team on the West Coast(which usually leads to even fewer viewers, given the time differences, when applicable), and you've got a recipe for a player no one knows much about. It usually takes a lot for a player to get a lot of attention in a situation like that. Whatcha gonna do, though? That's just the way things go. Anaheim certainly isn't the only team in a situation like that.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

I know no one will be surprised I'm bumping this (see avatar) but I really think Gibby has earned a page bump. He's been lights out for the USA in the WJC. And he's making it hard to not believe that he'll be a formidable starter one day.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
LoneStarHockey

It's definetely hard not to be impressed by his performance in the WJCs, he has been great.

LoneStarHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
James Franco

He played like a rock against Canada

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
ginner classic

Remind anyone of another american goalie currently playing in Vancouver?

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Definetely looks like he can be a future #1 in the NHL for many years

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Remind anyone of another american goalie currently playing in Vancouver?
I keep thinking Price. But Schneider isn't a bad comp.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Absolutely fantastic goalie. Sure glad I drafted him in my keeper league 28th overall in 2011.

The most impressive part of his game might just be his mental strength. He doesn't get rattled. Period.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:47 AM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

Gibson in Ufa
Tournament MVP
Top goaltender
All Star team goaltender
1.43 GAA
.955 Save percentage (American tournament record)
5 wins
1 (technically 2) shutout
Gold medal

Last edited by DuckJet: 01-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

What a performance from him. I had never seen him play before the WJC's but to be honest i havent seen this promising goalie in a long time. Really stood out for me. How the hell did he ever fall to the 2nd round?

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
tsujimoto74

What a great tournament from Gibson. No question he deserved the MVP and best goalie awards. Looks like the Ducks are gonna be a team that's very hard to score on in the future between this kid and all the good young d-men they've got.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

I can only think of Price when I see him play. He really reminds me of him. Great career ahead of him in Anaheim. Kid is going to be a star goalie.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I can only think of Price when I see him play. He really reminds me of him.
I understand the Price comparisions in terms of his sound technique and lateral movement, and the way he's so calm, but I also think there's significant aspects that are different from the way Price plays, most noticeably when forced into lower percentage situations. I have a hard time putting it into the right words.

Regardless, the game he's capable of playing already along with all his physical and mental tools make for an amazing basis to make his way to the next levels and succeed there. It's still quite the way, but one can't help but be optimistic. Numbers can lie with goalies at the Junior level, but play doesn't as often.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I understand the Price comparisions in terms of his sound technique and lateral movement, and the way he's so calm, but I also think there's significant aspects that are different from the way Price plays, most noticeably when forced into lower percentage situations. I have a hard time putting it into the right words.

Regardless, the game he's capable of playing already along with all his physical and mental tools make for an amazing basis to make his way to the next levels and succeed there. It's still quite the way, but one can't help but be optimistic. Numbers can lie with goalies at the Junior level, but play doesn't as often.
Yea I can see that, another poster mentioned that his puck handling is not like price. I just see the composure and the calm in nets that is similar to price as well as his technique. It would be interesting to compare price's play at the junior level to Gibson's play to see if it is similar.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
What a performance from him. I had never seen him play before the WJC's but to be honest i havent seen this promising goalie in a long time. Really stood out for me. How the hell did he ever fall to the 2nd round?
I remember reading that some teams were put off by his intentions to commit to Michigan. But I remember really liking him in 2011. Some lists had him ranked in the top 15 and he was one of the 4 guys I was hoping to get at 22. I was initially mad about the Rakell pick but the Gibson pick made up for it right away.

I couldn't really tell you but I feel fortunate that the ducks took the chance on him.

Another thing that confuses me about his fall

@JSB_CTV: I've sat in on over 100 combine interviews with the Boston Bruins. John Gibson's in '11 is one of the most memorable. #wishicouldsaywhy

Last edited by DuckJet: 01-05-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old
05-08-2013, 02:34 PM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

30 out of 31 saves in his debut against international adults. Helped USA beat Finland 4-1. Had to make some real solid stops. Finished with a 96.7 SV%. Could've been a shutout if it wasn't for a blown play by Petry.