HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 5.0 - CLR Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Speaking of Faksa, I've been a little dissapointed with his point totals so far this year in Kitchener. Have you been following him at all? Is it more of a result of the whole team being dissapointing? Gibson is a beast in net, so Gally will have a very good test.
Frank, I have seen every game of his so far this year and I have mixed emotions. In his defence, the team isn't scoring at all. Yes, his totals are low, but he's still second on the team. They have no scoring depth at all and Faksa is not a pure scorer. He's a crafty, creative two-way forward with a good shot and vision.

Also, after being thrust into the #1 centre role this year, I expected he'd struggle. Not only is he the #1, but none of the other centres are even drawing a shred of attention away. Last year Michael Catenacci and Rieder were so dominant that Faksa slipped nicely into the 2nd line role, saw some weaker checking and made some things happen. This year, the game plan for opponents is obvious.... be all over Faksa and no other centre will hurt us. So he has been mauled all year by the top checkers and D-men. Even still, he clearly is Kitchener's best puck protector, passer and face-off guy. He's doing a decent job at fighting through it and doing what he can.

Complicating matters is the fact that he has been fighting some mystery health issues. He has been suffering "chronic fatigue" and "low energy levels" that forced the team to sit him for a game last weekend. They tested him for mono and other possible ailments like tonsilitis, but still have no answers.

I also think he's most comfortable in a two-way role, and isn't adapting 100% to the role of top offensive guy. But I'd give him a B so far. He's solid most nights. But he has a lot working against him in the attempts to be the star.

It'll be fun to see him versus Gally tonight.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:20 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Kovalev could consistently put the puck exactly where he wanted though. Galchenyuk can't quite do that yet at least. No doubting the release and velo though.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Tim Wallach

Oh, and yes, Gibson is the best goaltender I have seen in Kitchener and possibly in the OHL (30 years of watching). So Gally will have to earn his points tonight.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Yeah, my bad. Thought you were talking about the specific shot.

It was a wicked shot. I'm surprised he got it off and with such accuracy. It seemed like a desperation shot, as the puck went in with 0.5 seconds left in the period. That's a game changer, right there.
Personally, I think Galchenyuk is going to be a franchise center, or if not, as close as it gets to one...that's how strongly I feel about his skill set. I'm not as concerned about his points as everyone seems to be, i'm more impressed with his display of skills. He rates as a 5 star in almost every aspect of the game. The only attribute which I wouldn't give him 5 stars in is his explosiveness as a skater, but even then, it's not a weaknesses and he can still improve on it.

We've waited A LONG TIME to have this type of player on our team...I don't think he's very far away from the NHL.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Early in his career, agreed...in the latter stages of his career, not so much.
Kovalev had a great release and didn't require much time to let it go but he was always looking for the perfect shot. He would dangle in order to open up lanes instead of letting it fly in a reflexive fashion.....it isn't that he couldn't get it off, rather he chose not to do so.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Personally, I think Galchenyuk is going to be a franchise center, or if not, as close as it gets to one...that's how strongly I feel about his skill set. I'm not as concerned about his points as everyone seems to be, i'm more impressed with his display of skills. He rates as a 5 star in almost every aspect of the game. The only attribute which I wouldn't give him 5 stars in is his explosiveness as a skater, but even then, it's not a weaknesses and he can still improve on it.
I would add to that his size. In the past he's been compared to many taller centers, while he isn't himself that big. Like his skating, it's not a weakness, he just doesn't have a fantastic size the same way he as a fantastic shot or playmaking abilities.

Having so many tools at a such excellent level is very rare in a prospect. I can't wait to see him in the WJC and see what he can do playing with better players.

Quote:
We've waited A LONG TIME to have this type of player on our team...I don't think he's very far away from the NHL.
Also agree. And he's the kind of offensive skates you build your team around. If he makes it (and I don't see why he couldn't), he's going to be the guy who will log tons of minutes, play against the opposition top players, while still provides offense. This could have huge, huge repercutions on our depth.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Kovalev had a great release and didn't require much time to let it go but he was always looking for the perfect shot. He would dangle in order to open up lanes instead of letting it fly in a reflexive fashion.....it isn't that he couldn't get it off, rather he chose not to do so.
That's also true...also what drove me nuts about him. Regardless, wasn't meant as a slight to Kovalev, I just think Galchenyuk's shot is an extremely dangerous weapon that will only be more lethal as the talent around him improves when he reaches the NHL

opponents are going to have to choose to play him tight and force him to find teamates, which we know he can do...or play off of him and let him beat them with his heavy shot.

Difficult to contain my excitement about Galchenyuk...can't wait to see him in a Habs jersey

Old
11-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...134516580.html

Yahoo love fest article.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I would add to that his size. In the past he's been compared to many taller centers, while he isn't himself that big. Like his skating, it's not a weakness, he just doesn't have a fantastic size the same way he as a fantastic shot or playmaking abilities.
I don't think his size will be a problem as he is strong. Look at Forsberg, he was 6'0 and he obliterated players. I'm not saying Galchenyuk is playing the same brand of hockey but I hope you can see where I am coming from.

Last edited by Teamwork: 11-23-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old
11-23-2012, 10:15 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Oh, and yes, Gibson is the best goaltender I have seen in Kitchener and possibly in the OHL (30 years of watching). So Gally will have to earn his points tonight.
Thanks for the feedback on Faksa and Gibson..much appreciated!

Old
11-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

Having so many tools at a such excellent level is very rare in a prospect. I can't wait to see him in the WJC and see what he can do playing with better players.

Also agree. And he's the kind of offensive skates you build your team around. If he makes it (and I don't see why he couldn't), he's going to be the guy who will log tons of minutes, play against the opposition top players, while still provides offense. This could have huge, huge repercutions on our depth.
Good post...regarding his size. He looks to be very solidily built and he's only going to get stronger. I think height in hockey is somewhat overrated, strength and leverage is not and he has both of those attributes and I think it's safe to assume they'll only get better

I also think his poise with the puck and strength on the puck are also going to be at elite level when he reaches the NHL, which is a HUGE advantage.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Good post...regarding his size. He looks to be very solidily built and he's only going to get stronger. I think height in hockey is somewhat overrated, strength and leverage is not and he has both of those attributes and I think it's safe to assume they'll only get better

I also think his poise with the puck and strength on the puck are also going to be at elite level when he reaches the NHL, which is a HUGE advantage.
He has that extra quarter of a second patience with the puck that will make him a great player. Dem passes, dat shot, dat strength, dat ass.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:18 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Tall players skating well have the reach advantage on smaller players, what is a real advantage considering how tight the room is on the ice these days..

Old
11-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Tall players skating well have the reach advantage on smaller players, what is a real advantage considering how tight the room is on the ice these days..
It's not always the case...see Benoit Pouliot. Being tall is great, but if you don't have ther other attributes to go along with it, it doesn't really matter.

And either way...Galchenyuk isn't short, he's 6' or 6'1 or 6'1.5 or 6'2 lol...whatever it is (nor do i care to split heirs), size isn't going to be an issue with Galchenyuk.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Trexim

Quote:
It's not always the case...see Benoit Pouliot. Being tall is great, but if you don't have ther other attributes to go along with it, it doesn't really matter.

And either way...Galchenyuk isn't short, he's 6' or 6'1 or 6'1.5 or 6'2 lol...whatever it is (nor do i care to split heirs), size isn't going to be an issue with Galchenyuk.
but really, what is the correct number? It's all over the map ...
They should have the precise number at the combine, shouldn't they?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
It doesn't really matter IMO...one of my favorite players from the 90's and 2000's was Peter Forsberg, he was 'only' listed at 6' feet. But I'd challenge you to find anyone during his prime who was more difficult player to knock off the puck then he was.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:36 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
Yes. At the time of the combine he was 6.05'' now its safe to say he is or at least will be a 6.1'' player in the NHL.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Yes. At the time of the combine he was 6.05'' now its safe to say he is or at least will be a 6.1'' player in the NHL.
Never understood why people are hung up on that? you guys really think a half inch is going to make a difference in the type of player he is?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Gally11

Crosby's 5'11 no one ever seem to use him as an example lol... Yeah having height can be an advantage with equal skill but I don't think being ~6 foot is really a factor if you're talented. Gally's height won't be an issue

Old
11-23-2012, 01:23 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Never understood why people are hung up on that? you guys really think a half inch is going to make a difference in the type of player he is?
I guess after all those years looking to get bigger and a center to replace Koivu (or to complement him at the time) that fit that criteria people seem to be putting an overemphasis on his height. As far as I'm concerned it's not even an issue but it does help when your future centers are Galchenyuk 6.1 and Eller at 6.2 who recently beasted out. Those are guys you build around down the middle imo because they have the perfect blend of size and skill, yet play different styles.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:29 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Crosby's 5'11 no one ever seem to use him as an example lol... Yeah having height can be an advantage with equal skill but I don't think being ~6 foot is really a factor if you're talented. Gally's height won't be an issue
Yeah but let's not forget Crosby is one concussion away from retiring either, smaller players tend to be injury prone. Gally just fell awkwardly onto his knee from a deformation on the ice, but I've seen people take runs at him in the OHL this season and he is almost impossible to knock down. He's really solid on his skates.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

With his drive, vision, puck handling abilities, and his ELITE release...how can you not be excited?

If everything goes well, this is a star we're talking about here fellas. Add that to a core of Price, Subban and Pacioretty and you have to be excited as a Habs fan.

11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
With his drive, vision, puck handling abilities, and his ELITE release...how can you not be excited?

If everything goes well, this is a star we're talking about here fellas. Add that to a core of Price, Subban and Pacioretty and you have to be excited as a Habs fan.
I see him like a Kopitar. I was exited when he was drtafted and I am even more seing him play like a real 1st rounder this year. With Bozon ,Hudon, Collberg and Vail in the pipeline, the future looks very good indeed.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:40 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Indeed, but if you are tall big and powerful, your reach will be an advantage on smaller player at the end..

Old
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

I like what I hear so far about Galchenyuk, but I ain't excited that much more about our future (next few years). I feel like our chances of winning the Cup increased from like 0.5% to 2%!

yay

Closed Thread