HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 02:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Hit the ice today for the first time in a while, no better feeling.
https://twitter.com/dylan_mcilrath/s...20282778165248

About time no?

Old
11-19-2012, 03:17 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Seriously. Talk about a month or more longer then expected.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
gravey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Seriously. Talk about a month or more longer then expected.
those knee cap injuries are no joke. they can end careers. sometimes they have to re-shatter them when they don't heal right. if he's able to make a full recovery, i don't care if it takes half the season. just get back at full strength.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
those knee cap injuries are no joke. they can end careers. sometimes they have to re-shatter them when they don't heal right. if he's able to make a full recovery, i don't care if it takes half the season. just get back at full strength.
Stefan Cherneski... Who remembers the poor kid?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...fan_cherneski/

Last edited by Osminator: 11-19-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post

i loved this prospect. to this day i always wondered what type of player he could have been. its a shame he had a bad injury that made him retire.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...alls_it_quits/

Old
11-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

There is absolutely no comparison between the injury that McIlrath had and Cherneski, who shattered his kneecap into over 6 pieces.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 11-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Great that he's back on the ice. Hopefully he's been able to work out his lower body the past few weeks or he's still got a long time till he's ready to return to the lineup.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

My favorite prospect of all time. I have a game-worn jersey of his from pre-season with the Rangers. Losing him was terrible for this team.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
My favorite prospect of all time. I have a game-worn jersey of his from pre-season with the Rangers. Losing him was terrible for this team.

He was looking like a future 25-30 goal scorer when he was injured. He was the last prospect to get cut that preseason and was supposed to be back before Thanksgiving. Cherneski was also a really good student and was named something like the best student in Western Canada.

That whole draft was a huge disappointment.

1. Stefan Cherneski: was supposed to be at least a second liner, but got injured.

2. Wes Jarvis: Neil Smith declared that he's a first round quality prospect who's a "safe" pick that will surely play in the NHL on the second or third pair. Instead, Jarvis had a hard time making it in the ECHL. Wind up in Britain and some other low-level Euro leagues.

3. Henry Berke: Had what seemed to be a breakout season after being drafted. In his two post-draft seasons, he had more than a point per game in the WHL, which is amazing for a defense-first, big defenseman. Then his career went nowhere.

5. Johan Lindbom: Was supposed to be NHL-ready as a bottom line player by the time he was drafted. Went nowhere.

7. Johan Holmqvist: Was pumped up hard by some people on HF and on AOL's Rangers forum. Was supposed to be our starting goalie of the future. Had a couple of seasons in the NHL, but nothing special.

The only prospects who made it are Mike York and Mike Mottau, though neither did much for the Rangers because York got traded for crap (Poti) and Mottau didn't become a regular until he left the Rangers organization.

This draft looked at one point like it would set us up for the future with a star goalie (and two other goalies drafted), 3-4 highly-touted defensemen prospects, and 2 prospects meant to be on the top-6, and another two bottom line prospects.

Obviously it could've been predicted that a lot of these prospects will bust, but the hype surrounding this bunch was very significant and the hope was that we'd wind up with at least 3 quality Rangers from this bunch.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Interesting...

Between 1993 and 2000, we failed to draft a single defenseman who played 200+ NHL games. That's 8 full drafts with 31 total blueliners drafted.

In 2001 we got a pair of defensemen, but then from 2002 to 2007, in 6 drafts, we got a grand total of one defenseman (Staal). We drafted only 11 blueliners in these drafts, but 4 of them were in the first or second round.

We are very lucky to have acquired Girardi and McDonagh, and to have drafted Staal and Del Zotto. Good defensemen are hard to find.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Interesting...

Between 1993 and 2000, we failed to draft a single defenseman who played 200+ NHL games. That's 8 full drafts with 31 total blueliners drafted.

In 2001 we got a pair of defensemen, but then from 2002 to 2007, in 6 drafts, we got a grand total of one defenseman (Staal). We drafted only 11 blueliners in these drafts, but 4 of them were in the first or second round.

We are very lucky to have acquired Girardi and McDonagh, and to have drafted Staal and Del Zotto. Good defensemen are hard to find.
You missed our 11th rounder in 94', last pick in the draft, 700+ games veteran.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Jean would be an absolute gem for the 4th line as this point.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Jean would be an absolute gem for the 4th line as this point.

Let's have him develop in the AHL the fully year before we rush him to play 3 minutes a game with stone-handed NHLers.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:05 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Interesting...

Don't forget about Sauer... I hope he makes a full recovery and plays again.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:55 AM
NYR Viper

Tyutin and Potter as well

Old
11-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Let's have him develop in the AHL the fully year before we rush him to play 3 minutes a game with stone-handed NHLers.
Not the upcoming season anyway. The players who are signed for 4th line positions which there are plenty of, have to expire first I'd think. Perfect timing.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I have not been able to catch a Whale game in person yet but have tuned into 10ish streams and Mikos I argree with just about everything you wrote.

Thomas is really coming on as of late. He's doing a much better job at finding ways to get his shot off. I think being put on the point on the PP was a big confidence booster for him, as that is where he did a ton of damage in the OHL. Honestly I was really not impressed with him at the beginning of the year but he's turned it on.
Yeah man, he really has, I noticed his game just take off too... the first few games he and Bourque looked like side by side reflections of each other out there, but maybe its playing the point that boosted his game.

In the final minutes of the last loss against Bridgeport, Thomas had the puck come towards him three times, and it didn't stay on his stick.. kid fired every time, every shot beat the goalie, but two shots went wide, one hit the post. When I say beat the goalie I'm not referring to it in the traditional sense.. but rather the goalie tried to make a save and flat out missed the puck, he really does have that "Wow shot" that Adam Graves once mentioned.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
For anyone curious, Roman Horak has cooled off from his blazing start. He recorded 10 goals in his first 9 games--and in his last 6, has just one assist. Falling back to earth.

It's just pain.
Old
11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Joey Bones

When's Hrivik and Yogan going to be noticeable?

Old
11-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Whale sign Shayne Wiebe to PTO.. any info on him?

http://www.ctwhale.com/news/detail/w...e-wiebe-to-pto

Old
11-23-2012, 10:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Undersized guy with skill that played a few games with the Whale either last season or the one before, I don't remember. He's been playing with Greenville in the ECHL. He's nothing special, just a depth player at the AHL level.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
When's Hrivik and Yogan going to be noticeable?
The entire team's offense has be pretty uninventive so no one is really being noticeable aside from the more noticeable of the bunch. Hrivik's been getting chances here and there though from the few games I've watched.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I've only watched bits and pieces, so maybe some of the regulars can confirm, but my impression is that they've got a lot of power guys and finishers among the forwards, but no creators (except for Jean, who can do a little bit of everything). Throw in no support at all from the back line and it's problematic to generate any sustained offense. Yogan and Hrivik obviously aren't as good as Kreider, but in effect they're all suffering from the same problem, which is they need others to start plays in order to finish them.

(It also doesn't help that other teams in the league have as many as 5 "real" NHLers.)

Old
11-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I've only watched bits and pieces, so maybe some of the regulars can confirm, but my impression is that they've got a lot of power guys and finishers among the forwards, but no creators (except for Jean, who can do a little bit of everything). Throw in no support at all from the back line and it's problematic to generate any sustained offense. Yogan and Hrivik obviously aren't as good as Kreider, but in effect they're all suffering from the same problem, which is they need others to start plays in order to finish them.

(It also doesn't help that other teams in the league have as many as 5 "real" NHLers.)
With a couple of the 2nd line guys and our future depth guys, most the opportunities have been on rebounds and we're not throwing enough mad pucks to the net. even the last game we won, one was a rebound goal and the other is a screw up by the their D and some alert play from Borque. The team is "scrambling to find ways to score goals". They need to move the puck a lot quicker and be quicker in the neutral zone especially against the better teams. A couple of games, including the one against SPR, it was like watching the Canes trying to get into the Rangers zone in a 1-0 game with 2:30 left.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Whale up 2-1 after 1 period vs Bridgeport, Kreider and Grant with the goals (Kreider snipe, Grant had all day looking at the empty net).

Blake Parlett continues to make a case for being sent down, awful giveaways, boarding call in the offensive zone corner (!) that led to the PP Bridgeport scored on, doesn't look confident what so ever. Vernace weak on the puck too, Klassen hanging in there. I like Sean Collins' hustle tonight, playing hard. Pyett went unnoticed in the first.

Hrivik has really been struggling so far, pretty bad. J.T. Miller flying out there, Jean getting involved, so is Tessier (the healthy scratches maybe motivated him).

Closed Thread