HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 06:57 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
More fun with stats...
So out of boredom I decided to try and take some peeks at who were the most effective two-way players in the game last year.
I took a really simple look at it and some of the thresholds I made were quite arbitrary:
*only players with 30+ games played
*only forwards
*>0.00 RelQoC (AKA they aren't being lined up against 3rd/4th lines)
*40-60 OZS% (so no offensively pushed Sedins or Wellwoods or purely D-forwrds like Malholtra)
*>1.00 pts/60 (scoring at a respectable rate... prob too low though)
*>10 RelCorsi (they are solidly beating their competition)

Here they are for each 30 teams (that had players that made the cut):
ANA: Getzlaf, Perry
BOS: Seguin, Horton, Bergeron, Marchand
CBJ: Prospal
CGY: Moss, Stempniak
COL: Landeskog, O`Reilly, Downei
DAL: Benn (holy $#*! he scored points at a high rate last season)
DET: Datsyuk (like that was a surprise)
EDM: Hall (bit of a surprise for me)
LAK: Williams, Kopitar
MIN: Setoguchi, Cullen
MTL: Cole, Pacioretty
NJD: Ponikarovsky (LOL ours now!... if we have a season)
NSH: Legwand, Hornqvist
NYI: Tavares
NYR: Hagelin
OTT: Alfredsson
PHI: Jagr
PHX: Whitney, Hanzal, Vrbata
SJS: Thornton, Pavelski, Couture
STL: Steen
VAN: Kesler, Booth
WPG: Ladd, Little, Wheeler

Of course you could play a two way game and miss this list or get on when you don't deserve to because: you scored more/less than what your talent is at, your coach used you too offensively/defensively, or my arbitrary lines need to be budged in one direction or the other...
but neat to read over anyways

Didn't know where to put this. Feel free to move mods if I chose wrong.

Last edited by garret9: 11-19-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old
11-23-2012, 06:23 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Who wanted Matt Duchene again?

http://m.torontosun.com/2012/11/22/a...unda-teammates

Old
11-23-2012, 08:02 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Kane and Dutchie B2B Picks 3 and 4 in 2009 both physically gifted players with maturity levels that aren't quite ready for draft day 2013 yet, and to think OEL was still on the board Wonder if Matt's dad made the trip to Europe and is following Matt from city to city driving his NEW team crazy as well. Mrs Lindors it's not Timbits anymore the team will take care of little Mattie.

Ok unusually heavy troll like post this morning.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Kane and Dutchie B2B Picks 3 and 4 in 2009 both physically gifted players with maturity levels that aren't quite ready for draft day 2013 yet, and to think OEL was still on the board Wonder if Matt's dad made the trip to Europe and is following Matt from city to city driving his NEW team crazy as well. Mrs Lindors it's not Timbits anymore the team will take care of little Mattie.

Ok unusually heavy troll like post this morning.
I just want to say, OEL and Bongo are an excellent top pairing on my NHL 13 game...

Old
11-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm sure he will be back and we'll hear about his love for Duchene soon....

Last edited by Huffer: 11-23-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old
11-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I just want to say, OEL and Bongo are an excellent top pairing on my NHL 13 game...
Bongo = Bogo? I like it!

Old
11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Bongo = Bogo? I like it!
Well, they both weild heavy sticks and make a lot of noise.

Edit: Derp, it's Bonzo, not Bongo. Still, song's too cool and my point still stands.

Last edited by DespoticNewt: 11-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old
11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

sorry thats the old Grindphone acting up again. It likes to switch Bogo to Bongo on me and i can't be arsed to fix it.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Yes in my dream world Buff, Toby, Bogo, and OEL would make up our top 4 for the next two seasons.....then when Trouba is ready he joins Toby and we have Bogo OEL entering their primes as our version of Weber Suter and a top notch unit and Toby mentoring Trouba. Both groups have a healthy balance of O and D and both groups have a blend of physicality and finess.

Anyways back to the real world

Old
11-23-2012, 01:54 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Bongo? Is that like Stomachache?

Old
11-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Bongo? Is that like Stomachache?
born in the same way but i'm not nearly as invested in Bongo as I am in Stomachache

Old
11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Good night to catch some hockey on tv...

At 6 pm on Sportsnet West they are debuting the first episode for this season of "Road to the Memorial Cup"; Sutter is apparently one of the featured players in the series. It will also be replayed on the other Sportsnet channels as well.

At 7 pm on Shaw and Shaw Direct they are showing Brandon versus PA. If you have Shaw HD locally they are also listing it on HD Channel #303 as well, though I'd be surprised if the game is shot in HD. Ya' never know I guess.

At 8 pm on Sportsnet West you can watch Edmonton versus MJ.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I would also love to have Duchene.

That sort of news doesn't turn me off a talent like Duchene at all. In fact I like his passion for the game.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I would also love to have Duchene.

That sort of news doesn't turn me off a talent like Duchene at all. In fact I like his passion for the game.
I agree. He might have went about it the wrong way, but he showed that he gives a **** which means a lot. He has some growing up to do but I'd take him in a second.

11-23-2012, 07:42 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I agree. He might have went about it the wrong way, but he showed that he gives a **** which means a lot. He has some growing up to do but I'd take him in a second.
He may have talent, but it's never a good idea to publicly throw your teammates under a bus.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
He may have talent, but it's never a good idea to publicly throw your teammates under a bus.
It wasn't really throwing them under the bus though. They have to play harder, even the coach agreed. Most players respond like this when they go on losing streaks.

I'm sorry, but with his talent I would take him over a Mark Stuart seven days of the week.

What he did is a miniscule character thing. He replied in the wrong way, but his message is the exact same you'd here from any other player. He just didn't send it in the smartest way. He wants to fire his teammates up and most importantly he wants to win. Those are great traits IMO.

The whole of major league sports has desensitized everyone to any answer that isn't the run of the mill cookie-cutter answer to the point where we care about a comment like this.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
It wasn't really throwing them under the bus though. They have to play harder, even the coach agreed. Most players respond like this when they go on losing streaks.

I'm sorry, but with his talent I would take him over a Mark Stuart seven days of the week.

What he did is a miniscule character thing. He replied in the wrong way, but his message is the exact same you'd here from any other player. He just didn't send it in the smartest way. He wants to fire his teammates up and most importantly he wants to win. Those are great traits IMO.

The whole of major league sports has desensitized everyone to any answer that isn't the run of the mill cookie-cutter answer to the point where we care about a comment like this.
Again, I agree. The team I play for has been on a losing streak and last night we were flat against a team we should beat who had a short bench. We weren't giving enough effort and I let my team know it, on the bench and after the game.

We have a game tonight and I would be extremely surprised if we don't come out guns a blazin knowing the guys on my team.

I know it's not nearly the same, but sometimes when your team is going through the motions you need to wake them the f up. Duchene stepping up to do that is showing that he has passion and though some don't think so, future leadership qualities.

He just needs to mature and learn a better way to approach it.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Again, I agree. The team I play for has been on a losing streak and last night we were flat against a team we should beat who had a short bench. We weren't giving enough effort and I let my team know it, on the bench and after the game.

We have a game tonight and I would be extremely surprised if we don't come out guns a blazin knowing the guys on my team.

I know it's not nearly the same, but sometimes when your team is going through the motions you need to wake them the f up. Duchene stepping up to do that is showing that he has passion and though some don't think so, future leadership qualities.

The only issue I have with his comments are the same as the coaches, he needs to step it up also. If you're not playing at a high level, how can you expect others to follow your lead by words only? Words with action would be the best way for him to lead by example.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:58 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
(...)

All he had to do, IMHO, is include himself in the rant about effort. That would have shown more leadership qualities, and been more likely to affect the change he was looking for.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Huffer

Quote:

The media is not the avenue for that though.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
The media is not the avenue for that though.
I think it can be under certain circumstances, but you need to have built up a certain amount of respect and cachet amongst your teammates. If I'm a veteran on that Frolunda team, I pull Duchene aside and tell him to shut the **** up. He hasn't earned the right to rip his team like that.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I think it can be under certain circumstances, but you need to have built up a certain amount of respect and cachet amongst your teammates. If I'm a veteran on that Frolunda team, I pull Duchene aside and tell him to shut the **** up. He hasn't earned the right to rip his team like that.
Granted, but then like Paradise and YYGinYYZ mention, he needs to be stepping his game up first off, and needs to include himself as part of the message. A lot more "we need to do this", or "I need to do that", instead of finger pointing at the team.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
bingo Hank......Dutch isn't the guy to be calling out teammates in Europe and if he calls them out (as stated by other posters) he better include himself.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
sully1410

Alright im bored. Time to stir up the pot.

I've been doing alot of thinking lately, and I keep thinking that its more and more likely that Winnipeg is one of the teams that has shown interest in Luongo.

I'm pretty sure that we were late comers to the party, but TN has shown that they are all about the character guys, and Pavs shot himself in the foot with that concealed DUI.

Whatever people think of him, Lu has shown that he is a character guy.

I have a hard time believing that Chevy hasn't at least called about him.

I don't think it will happen, in fact I pretty much know that it won't, but I could see him being a pretty good fit for this team.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Alright im bored. Time to stir up the pot.

I've been doing alot of thinking lately, and I keep thinking that its more and more likely that Winnipeg is one of the teams that has shown interest in Luongo.

I'm pretty sure that we were late comers to the party, but TN has shown that they are all about the character guys, and Pavs shot himself in the foot with that concealed DUI.

Whatever people think of him, Lu has shown that he is a character guy.

I have a hard time believing that Chevy hasn't at least called about him.

I don't think it will happen, in fact I pretty much know that it won't, but I could see him being a pretty good fit for this team.
Not saying you're wrong, I just have a hard time thinking of reasons why he would be a fit age and contract wise, along with what would be required to get him.

If they wanted to toss him for a loss that's one thing. If we had to give up valuable resources to end up with both Luongo and Pavelec, I don't see how that helps us personally.

Closed Thread