HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gary Bettman is a business man

Old
11-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Broilers

vCash: 500
Gary Bettman is a business man

1. He is not a hockey man
Many players are criticizing that Bettman is not a hockey man and he should be fired. This statement is telling all about subjectivity level of players. When hockey men lead the league it was less teams sometimes even just 6 and farm teams were almost as good as NHL. So let us see things this way. Let's bring old school back then we will have 15 teams both in NHL and AHL, no unrestricted free agency no work stoppages, and KHL is determining the salary level
2. He is businessman
Bettman said he loves hockey players. I truly believe in that since we have so many teams. But he loves also hockey but most of all he loves business. He is a business man and that is reason he has taken hockey to Sun Belt and other non-traditional hockey markets. Fans are criticizing him to do that. This a proof that fans are as subjective as players. No risk no gain it is a way of the business. Hockey has grown during Bettman’s tenure and for sure he needed to take some risks.
Bettman is planning to finish his job. Expansion is now over and some small market teams will be relocated in the next ten years I guess four teams. That will increase HRR and if players will get their share also big market teams will make less profit. It is good business decision to shut down the league for the season maybe two. Even big market teams are getting their money back in a few years.
3. Hockey needs him
Hockey needs a business man with ability think business wise. It is good he came outside and is able to think objective. It is better that someone is concentrating how markets are operating and others hwo left wing lock is operating.
4. Edmonton needs him
Without his business sense to see Edmonton as a potential hockey market Oilers would already be in the Portland or Houston. He will also hinder possible plan of Mr. Katz to relocate Oilers.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:29 AM
CROTT

Gary Bettman is a...

That sentence could be ended a lot of ways, just depends if your in or out of the gutter.

CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

You've actually fallen into the same trap most of the anti-bettman fan club repeats all the time - Expansion to the sun belt was a BoG mandate, and was implmented and half executed before he was even hired. It was never something Bettman brought over from the NBA, and was never a vision he came up with to improve the sport.

The "not hockey steward" or "not hockey man" stuff is pretty funny though. A nonsensical statement that is completely irrelevant to his ability to administer a multibillion dollar organization, something he is fairly good at considering how hopelessly corrupt and poorly run it was before he took over. Most accounts have Bettman as an exceptionally details oriented and driven individual who has thoroughly educated himself in all aspect of the sport, and likely far more invested in the success of the league than some want to believe.

Most of the arguements against him all have a theme anyways - "shifty eyes", "not eloquent", "not a hockey man/steward", "he's a lawyer", "squirrelly", "big, untrustworthy nose" etc etc. All emotionally charged ramblings from people who feel the need to point at someone in charge and blame them for everything, even when it's contrary to the avaliable(and easily obtainable) information pertaining to what's really going on.

What exactly even qualifies as a "hockey man" anyways? Are they supposed to hire a former player or something? Would the league really be run better with Gretzky fumbling around in the head office? Should they hire Burke and suffer through daily state of the league addresses and media trash talk against other leagues? Is there some type of certification or testing avaliable to become a "hockey man" that Bettman failed or something? Maybe after twenty years of running the league he could take the test again and pass this time?

Of course, if we're really going to go down the path of absurdities, I vote Mike Milbury as the new commissoner. I bet he'd try to trade Mike Ilitch for Jeffrey Loria within his first 6 months

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

And what's Donald Fehr?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:49 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
And what's Donald Fehr?
He looks like Scrooge McDuck when he puts his glasses on.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Hoogaar23

Bettman has literally been in hockey longer than some players have been alive. To say he is not a hockey guy is absurd. In 2 months it will be 20 years as commissioner of the NHL (he only spent 12 years in the NBA). During those 20 years (well 19) league revenues have gone from $400M to over $3B!

There's something about him that makes him not very likeable, or even creates an urge for people to punch him in the throat. But that shouldn't blind people to the fact that he IS a hockey guy, and he's good at his job.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Bettman has literally been in hockey longer than some players have been alive. To say he is not a hockey guy is absurd. In 2 months it will be 20 years as commissioner of the NHL (he only spent 12 years in the NBA). During those 20 years (well 19) league revenues have gone from $400M to over $3B!

There's something about him that makes him not very likeable, or even creates an urge for people to punch him in the throat. But that shouldn't blind people to the fact that he IS a hockey guy, and he's good at his job.
If his job is only to maximize profits and revenue for owners, yes, he's good.

He's been a disaster for the game itself though.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You've actually fallen into the same trap most of the anti-bettman fan club repeats all the time - Expansion to the sun belt was a BoG mandate, and was implmented and half executed before he was even hired. It was never something Bettman brought over from the NBA, and was never a vision he came up with to improve the sport.

The "not hockey steward" or "not hockey man" stuff is pretty funny though. A nonsensical statement that is completely irrelevant to his ability to administer a multibillion dollar organization, something he is fairly good at considering how hopelessly corrupt and poorly run it was before he took over. Most accounts have Bettman as an exceptionally details oriented and driven individual who has thoroughly educated himself in all aspect of the sport, and likely far more invested in the success of the league than some want to believe.

Most of the arguements against him all have a theme anyways - "shifty eyes", "not eloquent", "not a hockey man/steward", "he's a lawyer", "squirrelly", "big, untrustworthy nose" etc etc. All emotionally charged ramblings from people who feel the need to point at someone in charge and blame them for everything, even when it's contrary to the avaliable(and easily obtainable) information pertaining to what's really going on.

What exactly even qualifies as a "hockey man" anyways? Are they supposed to hire a former player or something? Would the league really be run better with Gretzky fumbling around in the head office? Should they hire Burke and suffer through daily state of the league addresses and media trash talk against other leagues? Is there some type of certification or testing avaliable to become a "hockey man" that Bettman failed or something? Maybe after twenty years of running the league he could take the test again and pass this time?

Of course, if we're really going to go down the path of absurdities, I vote Mike Milbury as the new commissoner. I bet he'd try to trade Mike Ilitch for Jeffrey Loria within his first 6 months
I threw up a little in my mouth a little when you said Milbury. I actually believe Bettman is a fan of the game, I'm not so sure about Fehr.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:36 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post

Not the same thing.

Under his tenure Revenue has increased. Not sure about the profits.

Also Gary Bettman is a lawyer.

Not a business man, and certainly not a hockey guy. (not that you said this, just giving my two cents)

I agree he has been bad for the game. Although how much of that is Bettman himself, and how much is the owners?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:38 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post

Revenues need to be thrown out. What has the profits been?

I'm actually curious what teams were making in this so-called good times we seem to hear about. Is what the owners are trying to get in this CBA even obtainable in terms of profits?

Old
11-23-2012, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not the same thing.

Also Gary Bettman is a lawyer.

Not a business man, and certainly not a hockey guy. (not that you said this, just giving my two cents)

I agree he has been bad for the game. Although how much of that is Bettman himself, and how much is the owners?
Just speaking out loud, but does the turn over of ownership and the fact that Bettman has helped some owners have anything to do with him sticking around? I mean you are a new owner and you hear he's not a bad guy, then in a few years you just start to think this and pass it on to the next group of owners.

Bettman seems to be like the government. Even though people don't like them, they continue to get in for some reason. Is that reason that there is no one else that is a clear cut better option.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Bettman is like the cheif of police in my opinion. He's just a figurehead and a face of the NHL, basically a spokesperson and bearer of news to the media for the owners.

I don't think he's done a phenomenal job and I don't think he's done a **** job but somewhere in between.

edit: He's not a business man, HE'S A BUSINESS...MAN

Last edited by Reimer: 11-23-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Not the same thing.

I'm betting some teams have seen their profit margins swell dramatically. Not sure how much of that is due to Gary, but it's there. Of course that's offset by the number of teams bleeding out, but if you are one of the lucky few to bank fat profits, why would you care?

Quote:
At this point, you have to figure they are basically one and the same, no?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
joestevens29

One thing that irks me is the whole Bettman is working for the owners so nothing is his fault. Then why does he get credit for anything?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
One thing that irks me is the whole Bettman is working for the owners so nothing is his fault. Then why does he get credit for anything?
Joe you should know this all too well being an Oiler fan. When things go bad with the team is Tambo's or Horcoff's fault. When things go right it's the kids doings.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Joe you should know this all too well being an Oiler fan. When things go bad with the team is Tambo's or Horcoff's fault. When things go right it's the kids doings.
So what you are saying is Horcoff is the reason we have a bright future?

Old
11-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Lewy

Gary Bettman is an employee of the NHL, he does as he is told. More accurately a lawyer than a businessman.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:33 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Gary B is just a big meany. I can see why the players hate him. They have been making record salaries compared to 2004. The game has increased revenue every year. Those poor players.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So what you are saying is Horcoff is the reason we have a bright future?
No because that would be giving Horcoff some credit and it certainly wasn't Tambo who helped in the matter either. We have a bright future simply because Hall, RNH and Ebs have the skills.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post

How so?
Can you identify what Gary Bettman has done that has made hockey "a disaster"?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:01 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
How so?
Can you identify what Gary Bettman has done that has made hockey "a disaster"?
Seriously?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Seriously?
Yup. Seriously.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
What has Garry B done to make the game a disaster from even 2004?

The players are so idiotic when they say he is bad. Yeah, the guy put hockey in markets where it isn't working 100% and also created jobs for you guys.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Seriously?
Well if he isn't then I am. Please list.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:47 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Well if he isn't then I am. Please list.
Yeah, I'd like to see all the magical things that Bettman has done to ruin the game. All of the blame for the **** that's gone on for the last 20 years basically lies at the feet of Alan Eagleson.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote