HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

vCash: 500
“You’d think the veteran guys are the guys who’d take more pride in what other veteran guys sacrificed in the last lockout, how we all benefited from that as a group. Some guys never played again.”

Like Guerin, Modano, Recchi and the others who say its a bad idea to go down the same road?

Also, while I'm not shocked Hamrlik is being taken to task, its why many people will shut their mouths, I agree Sivek. It seems kind of strange the way he was treated. Instead of talking to Hamrlik about his opinion and maybe his fears about how his career will end, its like they won't even look at the other side. I thought they were all free to speak their mind.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 11-21-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Burgs

This herd movement takes over every lockout, and it's always in one direction. Ian White calls Bettman an idiot, Kris Versteeg refers to Bettman and Daly as cancers that need to be cut out, nobody calls them out on it. But question cult leader Fehr and the knives come out.

The NHLPA needs more veterans speaking their mind, not just old stars who are already retired. Back in 1994 Larry Murphy called out Goodenow and some other player (forgot who) asked where his balls were. Murphy's response: "I think with my brains, not with my balls."

Old
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

The NHLPA needs more veterans speaking their mind, not just old stars who are already retired. Back in 1994 Larry Murphy called out Goodenow and some other player (forgot who) asked where his balls were. Murphy's response: "I think with my brains, not with my balls."
McSorley, which makes even more sense that Murphy would comment that way.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:42 PM
End of Line
Human After All

The cult mentality sums it up pretty well.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Sivek

More astute comments from players abroad. From Matt Duchene, who already criticized the level of referring in the SEL saying “It is sad that the (referees) did not call hooking, slashing and so on," now is criticizing his teammates. Following a recent 2-0 loss:

Quote:
“If this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable,” Duchene said. “There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.”
Seems like the NHLPA is just collectively losing their mind at this point. So player goes abroad, takes a job in a foreign country no doubt as an act of solidarity for the union, complains about the officiating publicly, complains about his teammates publicly, etc.

I can only imagine how things turn out if the season is cancelled soon. Expecting a Lord of the Flies moment where Hamrlik's head is impaled on a hockey stick and becomes a mystical item of worship.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

I'm wondering what would happen to Duchene if he says those kind of things in the NHL...

Old
11-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

It's hard not to view the players as a collection of simpleton idiots right now. I am disappoint.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Sivek

Looks like the Hamrlik comments might start the trickel of dissent from the NHLPA. From Michal Neuvirth:

Roman Jedlicka ‏@jedli
Roman Hamrlik is not alone w/ his opinion. #Caps goalie Michal Neuvirth just said for our TV NOVA Sport: "I agree 100% with Hammer. This (1)

Roman Jedlicka ‏@jedli
lockout is not about majority of players, i think. It is about several superstars with big contracts.“ (2)

Old
11-22-2012, 03:23 PM
66-29-33

RIP NHL season 2012/13. Let's also cancel next season too while we are at it.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'm sure there's a lot of players that feel the way Hammer does and there's almost certainly some owners that really don't want this lockout either.

There's still time to get a new deal done though. I don't think either side wants to lose a full season and one side or the other will make the necessary moves at the last minute to get some sort of season in.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Gooch

I worry about how negative the reaction is to Hamrlik's comments. It might really cause players to pause before voicing any opinion that isnt towing the line. An established vet like him can take it, he's got one foot out the door but a younger barely 3rd/4th liner might think that way but won't have the clout to be able to deal with the angst it would bring.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Burgs

TSN: HAMRLIK EXPANDS ON CBA REMARKS; RESPONDS TO COLE

Good on him. And nice jab at that hypocritical whiner who wouldn't take an apologetic phone call anyway.

Last edited by Burgs: 11-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Milliardo

Roman Hamrlik, the voice of reason.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:20 AM
FireBylsma
Palmebjörk & Doktorn

vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
More astute comments from players abroad. From Matt Duchene, who already criticized the level of referring in the SEL saying “It is sad that the (referees) did not call hooking, slashing and so on," now is criticizing his teammates. Following a recent 2-0 loss:

Seems like the NHLPA is just collectively losing their mind at this point. So player goes abroad, takes a job in a foreign country no doubt as an act of solidarity for the union, complains about the officiating publicly, complains about his teammates publicly, etc.

I can only imagine how things turn out if the season is cancelled soon. Expecting a Lord of the Flies moment where Hamrlik's head is impaled on a hockey stick and becomes a mystical item of worship.
Everything he says is true, the referring in Sweden is pathetic and Frölunda is a club in chaos and it looks as the player are only waiting for their coach to be fired.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:58 AM
vikingGoalie

Hamrlik +2.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

And the stupidity continues with Neuvirth, as if any new CBA is going to hack years off of the contracts of Ovechkin, Kovachoo, Sid, etc -- like its the big contract guys holding up negotiations on account of protecting their big year deals. Those are all going to be grandfathered in buddy. Has nothing to do with "a few rich players" even though has a nice populist ring to it. If you want to single out a few individuals, start with Jacobs and Snider. Great to back up your teammate but make sense if you do it.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

With games up through Dec. 14 canceled, here's a very personalized math of the lockout:

14(tickets + parking + the usual concessions + gas) = new couch + new fridge + new oven/microwave wall unit - $480

I miss hockey, but if a lockout was inevitable, at least it's happening the year when everything in my house that could break has broken. If we lose two more home games, it'll be a wash.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 11-23-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 02:55 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
And the stupidity continues with Neuvirth, as if any new CBA is going to hack years off of the contracts of Ovechkin, Kovachoo, Sid, etc -- like its the big contract guys holding up negotiations on account of protecting their big year deals. Those are all going to be grandfathered in buddy. Has nothing to do with "a few rich players" even though has a nice populist ring to it. If you want to single out a few individuals, start with Jacobs and Snider. Great to back up your teammate but make sense if you do it.
The point is that guys near the end of their careers and players currently trying to earn an NHL roster spot are not benefiting from a prolonged lockout.

Players who are comfortable financially in the middle of their contracts have the luxury of waiting around and beating the PA drum.

Only way this lockout will end is if more players speak up.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:02 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Ridiculous

BROUWER FRUSTRATED BY HAMRLIK, NEUVIRTH COMMENTS
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410109
Quote:
"For me, I think those guys selling us out, being selfish like that and making those comments..." Brouwer continued. "Me being on their team, how am I going to trust them as a teammate from now on? Because you know they're not going to support players in the big scheme of things when you go and you play on the team with them; it's going to be tough to want to back those guys from now on."
Quote:
We stand by the proposal that we made (Wednesday) and nothing's going to change.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
Ridiculous

BROUWER FRUSTRATED BY HAMRLIK, NEUVIRTH COMMENTS
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410109

Man, these NHLPA cult comments would make you think Hamrlik and Neuvirth just flipped state evidence on the rest of the league. **** is just going so out of control and it's sad to see how childish and cliquish every NHLPA member who opens his mouth is.

"I can never trust those ****ing traitors ever again!!!!"

"KILL BETMAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!"

With today's cancellations, I can't see a season happening unless a deal is made in the next 7-10 days, which I don't expect at all.

Do expect to read a lot of intellectual tweets about "Gary". I gotta say, the "Gary" thing just cracks me up so much every time I see one of #theplayers use it. It's one of the most sophomoric ways to insult someone, practically early elementary school level. In some ways, the lockout has been more entertaining than a normal season.

I can only imagine what kind of conversations go on during the NHLPA meetings.

"So do we stick with the Gary thing"
"Hey, how about Puck Gary, get it?"
"****ing awesome Cole, Puck Gary, hahahahahaha"
*in unison*
"PUCK GARY!"

Also imagine they are all wearing ceremonial robes and/or elaborate carved masks to these meetings.

Last edited by Sivek: 11-23-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Gooch

Quote:

Man, these NHLPA cult comments would make you think Hamrlik and Neuvirth just flipped state evidence on the rest of the league. **** is just going so out of control and it's sad to see how childish and cliquish every NHLPA member who opens his mouth is.

With today's cancellations, I can't a season happening unless a deal is made in the next 7-10 days, which I don't expect at all.

Do expect to read a lot of intellectual tweets about "Gary". I gotta say, the "Gary" thing just cracks me up so much every time I see one of #theplayers use it. It's one of the most sophomoric ways to insult someone, practically early elementary school level. In some ways, the lockout has been more entertaining than a normal season.

*in unison*
"PUCK GARY!"

Also imagine they are all wearing ceremonial robes and/or elaborate carved masks to these meetings.
Just like the title of this thread.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:08 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The point is that guys near the end of their careers and players currently trying to earn an NHL roster spot are not benefiting from a prolonged lockout.

Players who are comfortable financially in the middle of their contracts have the luxury of waiting around and beating the PA drum.

Only way this lockout will end is if more players speak up.
Exactly, both Hamrlik & Neuvirth are in their final years of their contracts. Hamrlik may end up being one of those guys who never plays again and Neuvirth as an RFA needs this season to prove a better long term contract. With it going down the drain, it leaves them in precarious situations while big name players have or can get a contract when this is all said and done.

Also, Adrian Dater is usually commented on as being a PA schill, but I thought this comment was interesting:

Ray Whitney rips NHL as being run by guys who didn't play game or love it. So you hired Don Fehr why again...?

Old
11-23-2012, 07:20 PM
vikingGoalie

LeBrun from ESPN is kinda like Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...oser-to-a-deal

all is well, remain calm!

Old
11-23-2012, 07:24 PM
FlightlessBird

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...lland-obliges/ Ridiculous.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:12 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:

With today's cancellations, I can't see a season happening unless a deal is made in the next 7-10 days, which I don't expect at all.

*in unison*
"PUCK GARY!"

I was picturing a mob of players in full gear storming Bettman's castle.

Seriously, these guys must not have any clue what they look like. I share your outlook for an agreement.

I'm calling it now, before it is over we'll see "Bettman and Daly sitting in a tree..."

Closed Thread