HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 10:20 AM
clarkebr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I think its silly for us to suggest he has no chance (wotherspoon that is), HC invited him because they want to see him.

If they only brought players that had a chance to make the club, the WHL would have had one forward line both games.
i'm not sure where the Wotherspoon player has a chance or not came from but since you brought it up, i have never heard of the guy down east. Never paid him much notice in the S/S either.Whoever his fan base is, they better start beating the drum because he has to step over Percy/Siemens/Pouliot/Dumba/Corrado to make this team.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
i'm not sure where the Wotherspoon player has a chance or not came from but since you brought it up, i have never heard of the guy down east. Never paid him much notice in the S/S either.Whoever his fan base is, they better start beating the drum because he has to step over Percy/Siemens/Pouliot/Dumba/Corrado to make this team.
Wotherspoon is a good player, nobody on here has a bleeping clue who HC is going to take....most people just list off the 1st rounders and assume that's who makes it.

I don't think Wotherspoon makes it, but it has nothing to do about Flames fans beating the drum on HFboards, its about who goes to the camp and earns the spot.

You probably didn't notice Wotherspoon at the SSS, because that is the sign he played extremely well, his game isn't about flash...he's a big, mobile, physical stay-at-home defensman (who has 18 points in 21 games and is +27 in the WHL I might add).

Showed better than Siemens, who is getting tonnes of votes to make the team in this thread right now.

The reason I brought up Wotherspoon is because poster: reinhart, asked why he was invited to the SSS if he had no chance at the team...he very much has a chance is all I'm trying to say, based on play, not hype.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:10 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Not a big fan of Dumba and i dont like him on the ice. I find him to have very very low hockey sense.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Leviathan

Does anyone know when they will announce the camp roster? If camp starts Dec 10, we can't be too far away from hearing the camp roster list!

Old
11-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I'd have to imagine Harrington-Hamilton will be the go-to shutdown pairing now. Not quite fail proof as Harrington-Murray, but what can ya do.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Leviathan

edit - nvm.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Anchor Town

Sproul a 6'4" 205 lb defenseman is putting up 1.375 PPG in the OHL, should at least be invited to camp

Old
11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I'd have to imagine Harrington-Hamilton will be the go-to shutdown pairing now. Not quite fail proof as Harrington-Murray, but what can ya do.
I don't think so. They'll pair a real shutdown defensemen with Harrington, not Hamilton, who really should be in an offensive role.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Statsy

Surprised to see the low opinions of Dumba on here. Obviously not many saw the Under 18's where he captained Canada and led the entire tournament in scoring as a defensemen. Not to mention the fact that he is the hardest hitter on the team. Hockey Canada freakin's loves this guy! I would consider him a lock.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Surprised to see the low opinions of Dumba on here. Obviously not many saw the Under 18's where he captained Canada and led the entire tournament in scoring as a defensemen. Not to mention the fact that he is the hardest hitter on the team. Hockey Canada freakin's loves this guy! I would consider him a lock.
I'm kind of in this same boat. Team Canada loves him and he may not be the perfect player but I think it will take quite a bit for him to not make this team.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
markyj93

Kevin Roy

Kevin Roy - I saw this guy on Hockey Canada's website. Does anyone have any information on him? Seems like a really skilled player. My first impression is that he would be battling with Hudon for a spot, and if that were the case he would be in tough considering how solid of a player Hudon is.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:32 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyj93 View Post
Kevin Roy - I saw this guy on Hockey Canada's website. Does anyone have any information on him? Seems like a really skilled player. My first impression is that he would be battling with Hudon for a spot, and if that were the case he would be in tough considering how solid of a player Hudon is.
very skilled player, great creativity and hands. Was at the Russia series in August playing on the 3rd/4th line and did nothing but also didnt get much ice. In the 2 games he played you could see some of his offensive flair on the odd pp he got, other than that was pretty disappointing for me.

He is a top 6 player and right now and is somewhat one dimensional and by the looks of our potential top 6 or even 9 he has no chance. Which isnt a slight against him its just that our top 6 or 9 is chalked full of talent.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:51 PM
AVSFAN92
Rookie User

When Will Ppl Realize Drouin and Mackinnon are the SAME size..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
How could you guys believe that HC will allow 3 2013 draft prospects on the team. The only 2 that might make it are mackinnon and monahan that's it. And they will not take a miniature team to Russia. So as good as drouin is he might only get an invite if he is lucky
Drouin and Mackinnon are pretty much the exact SAME size. Mackinnon is just a more aggressive player, more power forward/sniper. Drouin will hit you but just not as often. Also Drouin is WAY better defensively, he def reminds me of Datsyuk. More shifty and elusive and will find your stick with a pass through a maze of players. With someone hanging off of him.

Drouin - 5'11", 185lbs
Mackinnon - 6'0", 182lbs

On another note, team Canada at the world juniors have been having a HUGE problem scoring goals for the past 5 years or so... Having a line like Drouin, Mackinnon, Huberdeau is exactly what the team needs...

Also I like Monahan as well, but to go along with your reasoning of having too many 17 year olds on the team. I'd go with Drouin and Mackinnon because of chemistry and scoring ability. An extra forward, IF any of them make it; is what they will probably be. Someone with scoring ability and better skating will win out especially on the bigger ice. Not more of a defensive minded player, even though Monahan can score.

Last edited by AVSFAN92: 11-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Sproul a 6'4" 205 lb defenseman is putting up 1.375 PPG in the OHL, should at least be invited to camp
Just came off a long injury so we'll see how he is but other than that I'd agree.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

With season cancellations now up to mid December it's looking increasingly likely that would-be NHLers will be able to participate.

It will be fun to see RNH suit up for team Canada though I'd much rather see him with the Oilers.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Any chance Binnington gets a look? Subban's the starter obviously, but there has to be a back up. Has Brossoit pretty much nailed it down?

Old
11-23-2012, 03:11 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Any chance Binnington gets a look? Subban's the starter obviously, but there has to be a back up. Has Brossoit pretty much nailed it down?

Ever heard of Fucale?

Old
11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Ever heard of Fucale?
Lol fail. Totally forgot.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
The back-up spot has not been wrapped up by any goalie. Right now it seems to be a battle between Binnington, Fucale, Brossoit and Comrie.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:25 PM
FrankFountain
Legendary Frog

Etienne Marcoux from BLB should get an invite also.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Ever heard of Fucale?
Isn't Marcoux eligible, because he's the best goalie in the Q, maybe stats don't show it right now. Fucale will be better in the future, but right now, Marcoux is the way to go ainec

Old
11-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSFAN92 View Post
Drouin and Mackinnon are pretty much the exact SAME size. Mackinnon is just a more aggressive player, more power forward/sniper. Drouin will hit you but just not as often. Also Drouin is WAY better defensively, he def reminds me of Datsyuk. More shifty and elusive and will find your stick with a pass through a maze of players. With someone hanging off of him.

Drouin - 5'11", 185lbs
Mackinnon - 6'0", 182lbs

On another note, team Canada at the world juniors have been having a HUGE problem scoring goals for the past 5 years or so... Having a line like Drouin, Mackinnon, Huberdeau is exactly what the team needs...

Also I like Monahan as well, but to go along with your reasoning of having too many 17 year olds on the team. I'd go with Drouin and Mackinnon because of chemistry and scoring ability. An extra forward, IF any of them make it; is what they will probably be. Someone with scoring ability and better skating will win out especially on the bigger ice. Not more of a defensive minded player, even though Monahan can score.
Halifax has 15 goals in it's last 30 chances. Bet TC would love to have that!

Old
11-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSFAN92 View Post

Drouin - 5'11", 185lbs
Mackinnon - 6'0", 182lbs

Where do you get your stats? Canada has led the tournament in scoring or at the top all these past 5 years or so...

in 08 wasn't exactly a high powered octane offence, but we still came home with the gold medal.... BTW on big European ice.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 11-24-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Nash

93 & 94 forward classes are are weak. Canada needs to bring more 17 year old players than they normally would. I think MacKinnon is lock by now. Drouin should be too. Those two and Huberdeau looked fantastic together. I'd like to see Monahan as at least a 13th forward too. Better to have skill on the sidelines than checkers.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Statsy

Nash is correct. Though we usually don't tend to bring three underagers on to our WJC team, a quick perusal of the CHL scoring tables indicates that the bulk of the leading scorers are either 92's (thus too old), from another country, or are 95's and late 94's. If we don't have better 19 year olds to bring out, then go with the talented youngsters and set yourself up with some returnees for next year. Might even make for some threepeat players as the lockout will likely still be going in 2015! LOL.

Closed Thread