HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

GO BACK TO ALBERTA - Dave McGuinty.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:44 AM
The Moose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Yes, that's true. If she was also able to get Stana Katic to return my calls - and make sure my wife doesn't find out - I'd let her run the pipeline through my living room.
Will Danielle Smith do?

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Will Danielle Smith do?
I prefer my political women shrill and brainless.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Justin reacts. Does he apologize, or try and spin his comments better? Or, does he take a page out of Harper's book and completely ignore the white noise and assume it'll go away soon enough.
Trudeau and his strategists have done both - apologized and tried to spin the comments. It is virtually impossible to try to ignore such comments given their fundamental import.
Liberal leadership contender and Montreal-area MP Justin Trudeau says he is sorry for controversial remarks he made in an interview about Alberta politicians.

“I’m sorry I said what I said,” The Globe and Mail reported him as saying Friday. “I’m here to serve.”

In a six-minute scrum with reporters in Vancouver, he said he made a mistake in associating the Harper government with a specific region of Canada, according to media reports
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...092/story.html

And he released this statement on Facebook and to the media he fell back on the time honoured excuse that his comments were taken out of context - sort of hard to maintain when the quotes are in fact considered in the context of the interview and follow-up questions. And then followed up by the misdirect...
"The Conservatives are using out-of-context statements made years ago in a long interview. They are clearly concerned that they are losing the byelection in Calgary Centre and are resorting to smear campaigns to stop their slide," the statement said.

"Justin knows that Calgary, Alberta and all of Western Canada are at the very heart of Canada's future. That's a message he has taken to every part of the country, from the beginning of the campaign. We need to get beyond the divisive politics of the Conservatives and include all Canadians."
Here is the context:
"Canada isn't doing well right now because it's Albertans who control our community and socio-democratic agenda. It doesn't work," Trudeau told interviewer Patrick Lagacé.

When asked whether he thought Canada was "better served when there are more Quebecers in charge than Albertans," Trudeau replied, "I'm a Liberal, so of course I think so, yes. Certainly when we look at the great prime ministers of the 20th century, those that really stood the test of time, they were MPs from Quebec.... This country, Canada, it belongs to us."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...ta-quebec.html

And it is not the first time Justin Trudeau has pushed his Quebec first view and tried to hang it on those who do not share his particular view of Canada that is not socially progressive like Quebec.

In February 2012 he talked about a Canada governed by Harper and the CPC as not his sort of Canada and that the best thing to do would be for him to leave with a separate Quebec. His father must have been turning over in his grave at that statement.
In a French-language interview in February, Trudeau took issue with the social conservative policies of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government and indicated he would be in favour of Quebec separating if they continued.

“I always say that if, some time, I believed that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper, and it was going against abortion, and it was going against same-sex marriage, and that it was moving backwards in 10,000 different ways, maybe I would think about making Quebec a country,” said the Montreal-area MP in the weekend interview with Radio-Canada.
“When Quebec is not involved in the governance of this country, this country moves too much toward the right,” he said in the radio interview. “It’s not necessarily that Canadians don’t have the same values as us Quebecers. It’s that there’s a way of seeing social responsibility, openness toward others, a cultural pride here in Quebec that’s necessary for Canada and it saddens me a great deal (to see what’s happening now).”
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...092/story.html

And his defence at that time?
Trudeau later sought to defend himself in a bizarre press conference in which he spoke in the third-person.

“The question is not why does Justin Trudeau suddenly not love this country because the question is ridiculous,” Trudeau said. “I live this country in my bones in every breath I take, and I’m not going to stand here and somehow defend that I actually do love Canada because we know I love Canada.”
The arrogance and entitlement just shines through, eh?

And it seems when he becomes frustrated he fails to engage his apparently limited brain power before putting his mouth in gear as occurred in December 2011 when he swore at Environment Minister Peter Kent in the House of Commons and had to issue another apology. Are we seeing a pattern yet?
Liberal MP Justin Trudeau said he lost his temper in the House of Commons during question period when he swore at Environment Minister Peter Kent, which he later apologized for.

"I lost my temper and used language that was most decidedly unparliamentary and for that I unreservedly apologize and withdraw my remark," Trudeau said once question period had concluded Wednesday.
And why should the Conservatives not use his own words to hoist him from his own petard? And they will undoubtedly do so if he becomes the Liberal leader.

The fact Justin Trudeau is an intellectual lightweight without much experience nor much of a record just makes it much easier. And then when he utters such statements with,out thought he simply presents an inviting political target that have been the downfall of much more experienced and qualified past Liberal leaders.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I liked that stunt the Albertans pulled when the Kalamazoo River in west Michigan got filled with sandy oil which was impossible to clean up.

Therefore, if I wanted to register in a riding and become a voter, I would be like the British Columbians KirkP was talking about.

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Pfff, sensitive shmensitive ...If Alison Redford convinces Katz to trade Eberle, RNH and Yakupov to the Canucks, you'll allow a pipeline through downtown Vancouver.
Wow that would really gut a successful Oilers team and the Canucks may finally start to win games and make the play-offs. The Oilers might end up finishing at the bottom of the standings and getting the first over-all draft pick. Oh wait...

Old
11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Pfff, sensitive shmensitive ...If Alison Redford convinces Katz to trade Eberle, RNH and Yakupov to the Canucks, you'll allow a pipeline through downtown Vancouver.
We don't want your garbage.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:49 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
A national energy strategy put forth by an Albertan is an Alberta energy strategy to make everyone let them run pipelines wherever they like.

fixed

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
fixed
Pretty much.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:06 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Wow that would really gut a successful Oilers team and the Canucks may finally start to win games and make the play-offs. The Oilers might end up finishing at the bottom of the standings and getting the first over-all draft pick. Oh wait...
Consider it a gift, so the Canucks can win another Stanley Cup. Oh wait...

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Getting tricked by Patrick Lagacé in an interview LOL.

Loin d'être reluisant.

Lagacé is known to try these kind of traps even when it's terribly uncalled for , like recently when he tried to bring ex-NHL referee Ron Fournier to compare or make a parallel between quebecois being called frogs and blacks being called the N word , to which Fournier responded that he won't play this little game and that what happened to blacks not so long ago is horrifying.

During at least half of the interview I had the impression that Lagacé was really deviating from his job by trying to trap Fournier or make him look bad.It's a good attitude to have when you receive a specific kind of guest , but it seems Lagacé doesn't have the intellectual ability to differentiate the effect he should try to achieve with his interviews depending on his guests.Fournier is mostly well-liked and isn't a controversial figure as far as his opinions goes.He might not be unanimous as far as his radio style , but he isn't a bad guy that you want to trap and humiliate.

In comparison , what he did with Trudeau was good and was part of his job which he apparently did well during this interview , but I suspect he mostly agreed with Trudeau anyway.

Last edited by Jafar: 11-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Getting tricked by Patrick Lagacé in an interview LOL.

Loin d'être reluisant.
And Justin Trudeau spin cycle goes hits full speed.
"I'm sorry I said what I did. I was wrong to relate the area of the country that Mr. Harper is from with the people who live there and the policies that he has that don't represent the values of most Canadians," Trudeau told reporters in Vancouver.

"It was wrong to use a shorthand to say Alberta, when I was really talking about Mr. Harper's government, and I'm sorry I did that."
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rta-quebec.html

Translation - "I really meant what I said and I thought the rubes out West would not catch on as I was being interviewed in French on a Quebec program."

And seeming to not get the irony he went on to say:
"I think Canada is better off with a prime minister who chooses to bring people together and not play up insecurities and divisions and regional resentments any chance they can get, and unfortunately that's what we tend to be getting from both Mr. Harper and now Mr. Mulcair, who has now put a big X over Alberta with his 'disease' comments," Trudeau said, referring to NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair's controversial comments in the summer about Alberta's oilsands industry creating "Dutch disease" in the Canadian economy.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Consider it a gift, so the Canucks can win another Stanley Cup. Oh wait...
Ancient history. You are living in the past with Leafs fans.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Look at 2:35 or so Trudeau pointing his finger at his head saying ''Maybe there's something in this''.I thought it was hilarious considering his well-known limited intellect.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
fixed
How's that different from what I said?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Transplanted Caper

Not sure this impacts Calgary-Centre all that much. I always thought the tightening of the race had more to do with anti-Crockatt sentiment among provincial PCs than of newfound love for the Liberals (although Locke certainly seems to be a quite credible candidate). I suppose this might rouse a few PCers of their chairs to get out to vote for Crockatt, but not entirely convinced. That being said, I think the CPC wins with around 40-45% of the vote. So a win, but less pronounced than in the past. How this impacts the actual Liberal leadership race is more interesting. If this hurts Trudeau province-wide, it could help Garneau and Hall Findlay as the race is a preferential points ballot (I think) where each riding is given equal weight, so crippling yourself in a province - even if it is a wasteland for federal Liberals - hurts in this race.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:54 AM
bombers15

I take the fact that the Conservatives are digging up stuff from two years as a positive. It shows that they're actually worried. Not quite as good as the Layton massage story they tried to bring up, but still pretty good.

And all the Conservative disciples follow in-step and repeat the same stories.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Look at 2:35 or so Trudeau pointing his finger at his head saying ''Maybe there's something in this''.I thought it was hilarious considering his well-known limited intellect.

I have substance, I swear!!!

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
I take the fact that the Conservatives are digging up stuff from two years as a positive. It shows that they're actually worried. Not quite as good as the Layton massage story they tried to bring up, but still pretty good.

I disagree. Nothing about being scared - it is just politics as usual with politics being a blood sport. It looks like a coronation for Justin much like happened with Ignatieff's acclamation so start early and hit hard.

The Conservatives have used this tactic effectively with Dion and Ignatieff and the Liberals did the same with Harper painting him as a wild-eyed right winger based on decades old quotes.

In fact the Conservatives featured Justin Trudeau in ads attacking Ignatieff in which comments from his pre-MP days were used. Trudeau had endorsed Gerard Kennedy and was particularly critical of the front-runner. "Ignatieff, he's a little all over the place sometimes," Trudeau says in the spot, in a clip drawn from a 2006 TV interview. "He says this, he says that - he contradicts himself." Trudeau then delivers this little parting shot: "For me, he's not someone with... maybe he has the intelligence, but maybe not the wisdom required."

And the parting shot... The ad's narrator ends the spot by asking viewers: "Liberals themselves doubt (Ignatieff's) judgment. How can we trust him?"

And earlier Ignatieff's comments were used to attack Stephane Dion in Conservative ads showing Ignatieff, from the Liberal leadership race, criticizing Stephane Dion's environmental record, saying: "Stephane, we didn't get it done."

And before the last election even started we had a series of Conservative ads with anti-Ignatieff messaging such as “Ignatieff and his ruthless coalition,” said one ad, claiming the Liberal leader supported a coalition with the NDP and Bloc Québécois once — and will do it again.

And the thematic ads attacking Ignatieff on his US ties "He did not come back for you" that used old quotes to great effect.

And:

Nothing new here - just the Conservatives using a strategy that has proved effective in the past and one also used by other parties. Even the Libertarian party got in on the fun.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
bombers15

Marc Garneau: He didn't come back for you

Old
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Defensive Forward

Quote:

Marc Garneau: He didn't come back for you
That is brilliant.

Defensive Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Not sure this impacts Calgary-Centre all that much. I always thought the tightening of the race had more to do with anti-Crockatt sentiment among provincial PCs than of newfound love for the Liberals (although Locke certainly seems to be a quite credible candidate). I suppose this might rouse a few PCers of their chairs to get out to vote for Crockatt, but not entirely convinced. That being said, I think the CPC wins with around 40-45% of the vote. So a win, but less pronounced than in the past. How this impacts the actual Liberal leadership race is more interesting. If this hurts Trudeau province-wide, it could help Garneau and Hall Findlay as the race is a preferential points ballot (I think) where each riding is given equal weight, so crippling yourself in a province - even if it is a wasteland for federal Liberals - hurts in this race.
I'd agree with all of this. The guy hurting the Libs the most is actually Chris Turner who should get a decent amount of votes, especially for a Green candidate, that would probably be better off with Locke. Which is a shame because Turner is actually a very good candidate, far more engaging than the rest of them but if his voters really wanted to stick it to the CPC they'd vote Liberal.

Crockatt is a pretty terrible candidate. Her campaign is basically talking about how great Harper is and that she's perfectly fine with being a backbencher. I know the Cons always mail it in with their campaigning in this city but it's just getting ridiculous at this point. Though I believe she actually showed up to one of the "debates" which is a pretty big step for a CPC candidate.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I'd agree with all of this. The guy hurting the Libs the most is actually Chris Turner who should get a decent amount of votes, especially for a Green candidate, that would probably be better off with Locke. Which is a shame because Turner is actually a very good candidate, far more engaging than the rest of them but if his voters really wanted to stick it to the CPC they'd vote Liberal.

Crockatt is a pretty terrible candidate. Her campaign is basically talking about how great Harper is and that she's perfectly fine with being a backbencher. I know the Cons always mail it in with their campaigning in this city but it's just getting ridiculous at this point. Though I believe she actually showed up to one of the "debates" which is a pretty big step for a CPC candidate.
I was gonna ask whats wrong with crockatt, but you just answered it.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

I wonder how you survive being a western Liberal man. Kudos.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:02 PM
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I wonder how you survive being a western Liberal man. Kudos.
Small 'L' please.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Small 'L' please.
And to really confuse things in British Columbia you can be a member or supporter of the BC Liberal Party (which is not affiliated with the Liberal party of Canada) and still be a member or supporter of the federal Conservative Party.