HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

WBC Roster Speculation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
  #1
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
WBC Roster Speculation

In March, the next World Baseball Classic takes place. What will some of the rosters look like?

Some will be more well-known than others. I'm assuming people won't have a great grasp on teams like China or Japan, but any information is helpful!

For Canada, some spots are obvious, but some spots are suspect.

C- Russell Martin
1B- Joey Votto
2B- ?
3B- Brett Lawrie
SS- ?
LF- Jason Bay
CF- ?
RF- Michael Saunders
DH- Justin Morneau

What about others? Or fill in my question marks?

SP: Dempster, Francis, Bedard, Diamond, Harden? If he's healthy...
RP: Axford

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:20 AM
  #2
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,730
vCash: 500
C- Posey
1B- Prince Fielder
2B- Brandon Phillips/Dustin Pedroia
3B- David Wright
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
LF- Alex Gordon (Or Hamilton, but I don't think he'll play)
CF- Mike Trout
RF- Jason Heyward
DH- Ryan Braun

SPs- Verlander, Kershaw, Price, Dickey

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:09 PM
  #3
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis
 
Mr Fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 50
I dont know if anyone has said they wont play or it is known they wont play

C: Posey
1B: Fielder
2B: Pedroia
SS: Tulowitzki
3B: Longoria
LF: Braun
CF: Trout
RF: Kemp
DH: Stanton

Verlander, Price, Kershaw, Gonzalez, Cain

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:10 PM
  #4
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
I dont know if anyone has said they wont play or it is known they wont play

C: Posey
1B: Fielder
2B: Pedroia
SS: Tulowitzki
3B: Longoria
LF: Braun
CF: Trout
RF: Kemp
DH: Stanton

Verlander, Price, Kershaw, Gonzalez, Cain
****, I forgot about Stanton and Kemp. Doh!

He'd play the field over Braun.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
  #5
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
From the looks of it, USA will have a very strong team.

Thought they had a solid lineup last time, and they **** the bed. So we will see what happens this time around.

Verlander, Price, Kershaw is a beauty of a top 3.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  #6
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
But what are the chances that all those players will play in WBC? Wouldn't they want to take a rest before the season starts?

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:04 PM
  #7
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,225
vCash: 5775
Canada usually doesn't look that bad until their starting pitchers all mysteriously decide they're hurt.


Don't forget Aumont though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  #8
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post

C- Russell Martin
1B- Joey Votto
2B- ?
3B- Brett Lawrie
SS- ?
LF- Jason Bay
CF- ?
RF- Michael Saunders
DH- Justin Morneau

What about others? Or fill in my question marks?

SP: Dempster, Francis, Bedard, Diamond, Harden? If he's healthy...
RP: Axford
I'd say Pete Orr at SS, Taylor Green at 2B. Add Jesse Crain, Phillipe Aumont, Jim Henderson and Chris Leroux to the bullpen.

Move Saunders to CF and put Adam Loewen in RF.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:23 PM
  #9
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
But what are the chances that all those players will play in WBC? Wouldn't they want to take a rest before the season starts?
Dunno how good the chances of anyone playing is. Honestly can't remember how it went last time, if a lot of players skipped the WBC due to the upcoming season.

But as long as a few of those pitchers decide to play, USA has a great top end of SP's.

As a Met fan, I will never forget being excited to watch Oliver Perez pitch for Mexico in one of their first few games; yes, that's pretty sad now that I think of it. But then he couldn't throw strikes, and got absolutely lit up. Don't think he made it out of the first inning against Australia.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
  #10
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I'd say Pete Orr at SS, Taylor Green at 2B. Add Jesse Crain, Phillipe Aumont, Jim Henderson and Chris Leroux to the bullpen.

Move Saunders to CF and put Adam Loewen in RF.
Scott Richmond is always an option at SP too. He's inconsistent but can put together the occassional great start.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:25 PM
  #11
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,834
vCash: 500
Liam Hendriks, Luke Hughes, Rich Thompson, Justin Huber should all be there and a bunch of scrubs no one has ever heard of.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
  #12
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,225
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Dunno how good the chances of anyone playing is. Honestly can't remember how it went last time, if a lot of players skipped the WBC due to the upcoming season.

But as long as a few of those pitchers decide to play, USA has a great top end of SP's.

As a Met fan, I will never forget being excited to watch Oliver Perez pitch for Mexico in one of their first few games; yes, that's pretty sad now that I think of it. But then he couldn't throw strikes, and got absolutely lit up. Don't think he made it out of the first inning against Australia.
You also had ESPN trying to marginalized the WBC - something they broadcast - by saying they should be using minor leaguers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:58 PM
  #13
the chef
Just you know why...
 
the chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
In March, the next World Baseball Classic takes place. What will some of the rosters look like?

Some will be more well-known than others. I'm assuming people won't have a great grasp on teams like China or Japan, but any information is helpful!

For Canada, some spots are obvious, but some spots are suspect.

C- Russell Martin
1B- Joey Votto
2B- ?
3B- Brett Lawrie
SS- ?
LF- Jason Bay
CF- ?
RF- Michael Saunders
DH- Justin Morneau

What about others? Or fill in my question marks?

SP: Dempster, Francis, Bedard, Diamond, Harden? If he's healthy...
RP: Axford
For CF, I am hoping that Canada could get Oscar Taveras.

http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/0...ple-boners-up/

the chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:42 PM
  #14
TheBeastCoast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dartmouth,NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 893
James Paxton for Canada should get a shot I would think.

TheBeastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:19 PM
  #15
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
But what are the chances that all those players will play in WBC? Wouldn't they want to take a rest before the season starts?
That's kind of why I omitted Hamilton. I highly doubt he plays. Likewise with Jeter.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
  #16
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 50
All I know is Japan is screwed.

Following people declined...

Darvish (wants to focus and get ready for his 2nd season in the MLB)
Aoki (same reason as Darvish)
Iwakuma (same reason as Darvish)
Ichiro (said after they won their 2nd title, he decided that was his last and nothing has changed)
Kuroda (no reason)


On top of that, the 2 time MVP (Daisuke Matsuzaka) sucks now.

Hopefully, magically Japan repeats again but probably not.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:31 AM
  #17
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 10,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
All I know is Japan is screwed.

Following people declined...

Darvish (wants to focus and get ready for his 2nd season in the MLB)
Aoki (same reason as Darvish)
Iwakuma (same reason as Darvish)
Ichiro (said after they won their 2nd title, he decided that was his last and nothing has changed)
Kuroda (no reason)


On top of that, the 2 time MVP (Daisuke Matsuzaka) sucks now.

Hopefully, magically Japan repeats again but probably not.

They'll always find a way to succeed since they play this tournament seriously unlike teams that have rosters that are 100% major league talent. Teams like the US and Dominican Republic will have a lotmof substitutions throughout each game MLB team owners don't want their players to play full-time.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:17 AM
  #18
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
I doubt Tulo plays in the WBC after missing most of the season. That would be stupid.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
  #19
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,384
vCash: 500
Russell Martin to play SS at the WBC.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...lay-shortstop/

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
  #20
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,517
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
WBC is such a waste of time.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:07 PM
  #21
Everlong
JoeyBats
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,545
vCash: 500
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Javier Vazquez will pitch Saturday for Ponce Leones in Puerto Rican winter league, per @Nasty_Rodriguez. Vazquez preparing to pitch in WBC.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
  #22
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 27,897
vCash: 673
I cant take this tournament seriously, or at I couldnt last time when there was a pitch count. Not sure if there still is? What is this, little league? But I understand why they have it.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:20 AM
  #23
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
So... going off of the posts in the thread...

C- Lucroy
1B- Votto
2B- Green
3B- Lawrie
SS- R.Martin
LF- Bay
CF- Tavares
RF- Saunders
DH-Morneau

BN: Orr, Loewen

SP: Dempster, Francis, Diamond, Richmond, Paxton,
RP: Axford, Crain, Aumont, Henderson, Leroux

Obviously Tavares is massive speculation, but that lineup looks not too bad for Canada.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:15 PM
  #24
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,517
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
cant wait to see Italy and Greece in exciting baseball action

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:16 PM
  #25
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Canada kinda sucks, top half of the orders good but thats about it, pretty weak rotation other than dempster too

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.