HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
With most teams having fans cancel season tickets this year, have the Yotes org come out and said how many season tix subscribers cancelled because of the lockout this year? I just really wonder what their current amount is.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I completely agree as well. Yet, would it not serve in his best interest to begin firmly placating to the incoming vs. the current council rather than dancing on the edge?
... ya, as I stated earlier, noted the ambivalence while distancing himself from his former bosses mechanizations, the agreement itself. Having watched Beasley in action for several years, he didnt strike me as someone who was smart nor capable enough to act alone, a guy who wouldve delegated much to his 2nd in command with respect to actually putting together the nuts & bolts.

Ed hiring someone from an even smaller community than Glendale, like say for example, oh I dunno, Litchfield Park? Promises of "stick with me kid, one day this will all be yours". Some Honest Rube type who'll do exactly whats he's told blithely, innocently, naively. Like a PA to Charlie Sheen type dealeo. Always sober, looking the other way, hustling the guy out of a bungalow at the Chateau Marmont before the cops & paparazzi arrive. Left behind to take the rap. Pouring whiskey & wine on his clothing, swallowing bags of drugs & licking the mirrors clean like it was his last meal....

Old
11-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... ya, as I stated earlier, noted the ambivalence while distancing himself from his former bosses mechanizations, the agreement itself. Having watched Beasley in action for several years, he didnt strike me as someone who was smart nor capable enough to act alone, a guy who wouldve delegated much to his 2nd in command with respect to actually putting together the nuts & bolts.

Ed hiring someone from an even smaller community than Glendale, like say for example, oh I dunno, Litchfield Park? Promises of "stick with me kid, one day this will all be yours". Some Honest Rube type who'll do exactly whats he's told blithely, innocently, naively. Like a PA to Charlie Sheen type dealeo. Always sober, looking the other way, hustling the guy out of a bungalow at the Chateau Marmont before the cops & paparazzi arrive. Left behind to take the rap. Pouring whiskey & wine on his clothing, swallowing bags of drugs & licking the mirrors clean like it was his last meal....
So Killion, when are you going to write the book-you know which one I mean....

Old
11-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
So Killion, when are you going to write the book-you know which one I mean....
... set to be released posthumously when Im
beyond the reach of cops, lawsuits & ex-wives.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I've seen this movie before. It was May, and council was attempting to ram through a lease agreement with JIG because it was an EMERGENCY!!! that was threatening the very well being, health and safety of Glendale. In fact I'm shocked the city hasn't crumbled in the 6 months since, as JIG hasn't yet signed a lease. Even though it was an EMERGENCY six months ago. If you'll remember from May, one of the "Nay" council members was in the hospital at the time.

I think the Big 4 Coyotes council members tried the exact same play - it's an EMERGENCY!, and since one of the council memebers wasn't in attendance (in this case in the hospital) her vote would automatically be counted as "Yes" and they have 5 out of 7 votes to enact the emergency clause. Dirty, sleazy, and taking advantage of a medical situation, but what the heck, if it ends up in a signed lease with JIG and no referendum, then go nuts, right Joyce?

Could this be their plan again? Go with 4 out of 6 votes and try to count Phil's as an automatic "Yes" to get to 5 votes? Seems like a dumb idea to me, it didn't work back then, they just got laughed at and the EMERGENCY part of that ordinance had to be overturned. What makes anyone think they'll get away with it this time, especially when you add in far more citizen outrage, an upcoming audit detailing financial improprieties, a lame duck council and a city manager who doesn't even approve of the deal?
There is no "Phil's Vote". There is no council member to be absent from the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... set to be released posthumously when Im
beyond the reach of cops, lawsuits & ex-wives.
That won't stop them. They will dig you up and take you to court......

Old
11-23-2012, 08:52 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
That won't stop them. They will dig you up and take you to court......
Writ's already issued. Writ of habeus corpse. You can't avoid those people.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
Writ's already issued. Writ of habeus corpse. You can't avoid those people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver_Synod

Don't be so sure

Old
11-23-2012, 09:41 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Since nothing much is happening right now, I decided to go in my Delorean Time Machine and went back to see what we were saying about the Coyotes at this time of year in the past.....
[...deletia...]
-knorthern knight on 11-21-2011, 07:21 PM:

''Two factors support the idea that the NHL won't be running the Coyotes next year...

-The NHL reported losing $16 million last season IN EXCESS OF GLENDALE'S $25 MILLION PAYMENT. Who knows how much they'll lose this season. The BOG won't stand for any more.

-The next season's schedule starts getting drawn up in January. If you move a franchise during the spring, your options are limited. That's why Winnipeg is playing in the Southeast this season.

With the NHL working on re-alignment, they don't want to do it all over again next year. A 4-division realignment with 8 teams in the WEST, 7 in the CENTRAL, and 7 in the NORTHEAST, is bulletproof against the Coyotes moving to any of Seattle/Portland/Houston/KC/Quebec. The Phoenix crisis might be the last straw that forces reluctant governors on the BOG to accept a 4-division setup.''
The NHL is not running the team during the 2011-2012 season... because there is no 2011-2012 season.

And the they did approve for a 4-division setup that could handle the Coyotes moving to QC. The NHLPA (under Fehr) rejected it.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:53 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Since nothing much is happening right now, I decided to go in my Delorean Time Machine and went back to see what we were saying about the Coyotes at this time of year in the past.....
Remember when jetsfan88 talked about a final speed bump prior to QC getting the Coyotes

Old
11-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
With most teams having fans cancel season tickets this year, have the Yotes org come out and said how many season tix subscribers cancelled because of the lockout this year? I just really wonder what their current amount is.
Nothing about the lockout but interesting that they do cover what would happen in case of relocation. That topic's not mentioned anywhere on the Leaf site.

7. TEAM RELOCATION. In the event that the Phoenix Coyotes relocate before the 2012-2013 NHL season, the Phoenix Coyotes will guarantee a refund of any monies paid toward your 2012-2013 season tickets.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=79535

Old
11-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
That won't stop them.... dig you up and take you to court......
Like James Brown. Coffin left sitting in the families front parlour near Augusta for months after he died while the family feuded.
Air conditioning set on ArcticBlast 24/7. Doin it to Death. Cold Sweat. Papas Gotta a Brand New Body Bag.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:30 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
The NHL is not running the team during the 2011-2012 season... because there is no 2011-2012 season.

And the they did approve for a 4-division setup that could handle the Coyotes moving to QC. The NHLPA (under Fehr) rejected it.
they rejected it because it involved more then just Phoenix. The league wanted re-alignment to begin less then a season after the proposal came out. No pro players union would of accepted a drastic relignment to begin less then a year after it was proposed.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:43 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
they rejected it because it involved more then just Phoenix. The league wanted re-alignment to begin less then a season after the proposal came out. No pro players union would of accepted a drastic relignment to begin less then a year after it was proposed.
disagree. The NFL voted on its realignment to 4 divisions in each conference in the fall of 2001 and it went into effect the next year. Fehr did it to fire the opening shot in the CBA negotiations.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:13 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
disagree. The NFL voted on its realignment to 4 divisions in each conference in the fall of 2001 and it went into effect the next year. Fehr did it to fire the opening shot in the CBA negotiations.
ok, but was the NFL CBA due to expire the year the NFL proposed the re-alignment? I have no issue with the rejecting of it regardless at the time. The NHL and Bettman probably figured they would be cute and try and get it to fly in before the CBA expired. I have no issue with the NHLPA wanting that part of the discussions. IMO

Last edited by GoneFullHolmgren: 11-24-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: i cant spell and haha
Old
11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post

7. TEAM RELOCATION. In the event that the Phoenix Coyotes relocate before the 2012-2013 NHL season, the Phoenix Coyotes will guarantee a refund of any monies paid toward your 2012-2013 season tickets.

"Contracts were made to be broken, honey, but a handshake is the law of God." (JR Ewing), not that it applies here but RIP Larry Hagman.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:58 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
ok, but was the NFL CBA due to expire the year the NFL proposed the re-alignment? I have no issue with the rejecting of it regardless at the time. The NHL nad Bettman probably figured they would be cute and try and get it to fly in before the CBA expired. I have no issue with the NHLPA wanting that part of the discussions. IMO
Oh I agree with everything else. I just disagree with the comment that you no league would enact realignment within a year.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:49 AM
shmglsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Nothing about the lockout but interesting that they do cover what would happen in case of relocation. That topic's not mentioned anywhere on the Leaf site.
Does Edmonton mention it?

Old
11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post

no, there was an 11-12 season. Yotes lost in the conference finals and the Kings finally won a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
"Contracts were made to be broken, honey, but a handshake is the law of God." (JR Ewing), not that it applies here but RIP Larry Hagman.
RIP Captain/Major Tony Nelson

Old
11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
no, there was an 11-12 season. Yotes lost in the conference finals and the Kings finally won a cup.

RIP Captain/Major Tony Nelson
Larry Hagman is still alive. Major Tony Nelson is long gone.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgallday1960 View Post
Larry Hagman is still alive. Major Tony Nelson is long gone.
.... Larry Hagman died yesterday of cancer at 81.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:33 PM
billybudd

Pierre MacGuire suggesting Jamison is a front for a bank in Chicago who wants an NHL franchise and doesn't care which.

http://autopod.ca/chum/22/podcasts/
11/21 podcast

Also says they've never expressed a wish to move the Coyotes.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:43 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Pierre MacGuire suggesting Jamison is a front for a bank in Chicago who wants an NHL franchise and doesn't care which.

... wait, bank or banker? Seems a little odd that a bank would want to purchase an NHL franchise, let alone one in such a fiscal mess.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^ Great. Here we go again.
Mr. Bean to the Rescue...

Old
11-24-2012, 03:59 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

... wait, bank or banker? Seems a little odd that a bank would want to purchase an NHL franchise, let alone one in such a fiscal mess.
It not like bankers never made crappy deal before. Maybe it Goldman Sachs they know a crappy deal when they see one!

Old
11-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

http://autopod.ca/chum/22/podcasts/
11/21 podcast

Also says they've never expressed a wish to move the Coyotes.
I know you're just messenger A "bank in Chicago" is a bit odd-Banks are multinational chains, it makes it sound like a indy bank in CHI wants to own a NHL franchise-doesn't care which?

Aren't banks the ones who are being (some would say) almost ridiculously tight for not losing money, yet they are going to buy a team in the short term at very least is going to be a money loser?

Something doesn't compute here..

And wanting to own a team right now, with all the CBA stuff going on-not to mention the legal hurdles it's going to probably go through after Tuesday's vote....

They're throwing good money after bad, just because they want "a" NHL team seemingly for the hell of it......

Anyone else find the timing of this McGuire "scoop" just a little bit convenient-just days before the vote?

Last edited by Tinalera: 11-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Closed Thread