HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 09:01 AM
PRNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotshirt View Post
I thought Cannata would be lighting it up in the ECHL, but his numbers thus far have not been good. Hopefully he can turn things around.
Too bad we don't get any eyewitness accounts of the K-Wings. I have a feeling those numbers aren't telling the whole story.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
lindgren

It's a busy night tonight for the prospects: the K-Wings and the Wolves are playing, and the three OHLers are also in action. It would be cheering for somebody to have a big game.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:39 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
It's a busy night tonight for the prospects: the K-Wings and the Wolves are playing, and the three OHLers are also in action. It would be cheering for somebody to have a big game.
Also some NCAA action tonight: Price, Labate, and the kid who goes to Yale (drawing a blank here).

I'll be at the Hitmen game pretending the Canucks ever draft kids from the Dub

Old
11-23-2012, 03:44 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Also some NCAA action tonight: Price, Labate, and the kid who goes to Yale (drawing a blank here).

Beattie.

Enjoy, dream of the day the Canucks take a WHL prospect like Shinkaruk. Greg Chase from the Hitmen too is one to watch, liked his game (through TV).

Old
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Beattie.

Enjoy, dream of the day the Canucks take a WHL prospect like Shinkaruk. Greg Chase from the Hitmen too is one to watch, liked his game (through TV).
Ahh thanks for the name.

Yeah Shinkaruk's why I made sure to make it out to this one The Hitmen have a couple undrafted overagers I really like too, Sylvester and Macek, wouldn't mind seeing them get camp invites next offseason. (Actually Macek was drafted by the Wings but never signed)

Old
11-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Considering 'you know who' is in charge of amateur scouting for Western Canada - better off not drafting anybody from the Dub.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Considering 'you know who' is in charge of amateur scouting for Western Canada - better off not drafting anybody from the Dub.
Tell "you know how" to keep submitting his lists then just get Nate Silver to compile a metalist for the Dub from Button, CS, MacKenzie, Redline, etc.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:22 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Beattie.

Heh, why even bother getting your hopes up haha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Tell "you know how" to keep submitting his lists then just get Nate Silver to compile a metalist for the Dub from Button, CS, MacKenzie, Redline, etc.
This, or Iain Fyffe as pitseleh mentioned a while back.

As MS likes to put it, a monkey drawing out of a hat probably could have done better in the Dub.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:44 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Beattie.

Speaking of Beattie, i had a chance to watch one game vs St. Lawrence. First time i got to see Beattie and although it is just one game, there are definitely things i liked in his play. His stat line is a bit surprising; the effort is there. Don't think he took one shift off.

Plays on the 3rd line RW with Stu Wilson and Josh Balch mainly, but was moved up to the 2nd line as there was shuffling during the game with a misconduct to one of their players. Did not play on PK.

First shift in the 1st, he comes out with a hit, was fairly physical, had 2 other hits in that period. Not a punishing player, but definitely finishes his checks into the boards. Surprisingly, very good skater given his size and he looks tall/lanky on the ice. Had two chances in the first, both created by his positioning in front of the net. Had a weird collision with a team mate, don't know if he didn't see him or something, but it was avoidable.

Second period, showed some two way play. He backchecks fairly well. Had two good clears by supporting his D men. They got a two PP back to back so Beattie did get a very brief chance on the PP. Bulled a guy over in the corner to get the puck back to the point and stood in front of the net. Next ES shift, Drove to the net with the puck, but couldn't get through defenders. Recollected the puck off the boards for a rather harmless spinorama shot from the point. Has a nice reach, created a turnover in the def zone.

Barely played in the 3rd as they were literally on the PP and PK for the majority of the period. Basically a two line team in the period, but he did get a shift in. He continued to be aggressive on the forecheck.

Last edited by thefeebster: 11-23-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
timw33

Corrado has his 2nd of the year.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Speaking of Beattie, i had a chance to watch one game vs St. Lawrence. First time i got to see Beattie and although it is just one game, there are definitely things i liked in his play. His stat line is a bit surprising; the effort is there. Don't think he took one shift off.
Sounds like most of prospects, showing effort just not converting it . Go Corrado, exceed expectations.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
McEneneny also had a goal tonight. Now has 10pts in 20 gp.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Rodin finally got his first goal today. Good to see others scoring too.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Wisp

Three d-man prospects with a goal tonight. ITS A SIGN!

Old
11-24-2012, 09:58 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Sounds like most of prospects, showing effort just not converting it . Go Corrado, exceed expectations.
I would like to point out that Gaunce is exceeding his goal production expectations. There hasn't been a lot of praise for a kid who has score 3 goals in his last 5 games on a team with no offense. In addition, McEneny has been coming into his own for Kitchener. I have been impressed with his production for a player that had 2 assists in his first 10 games (8 pts in his past 12), and missed the entire 2011/12 season with an ACL injury.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I would like to point out that Gaunce is exceeding his goal production expectations. There hasn't been a lot of praise for a kid who has score 3 goals in his last 5 games on a team with no offense. In addition, McEneny has been coming into his own for Kitchener. I have been impressed with his production for a player that had 2 assists in his first 10 games (8 pts in his past 12), and missed the entire 2011/12 season with an ACL injury.
Then we have different expectations for him. I hope he does more than a goal or two better than last year.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piece View Post
Then we have different expectations for him. I hope he does more than a goal or two better than last year.
You have to consider the team. He's still leading all forwards on his team in scoring despite missing 8 games of 24 this season. This is not a dissimilar situation to the one that Getzlaf found himself in when he was playing in the WHL. It's hard to put up gaudy numbers when your team just plain sucks offensively.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Plays on the 3rd line RW with Stu Wilson and Josh Balch mainly, but was moved up to the 2nd line as there was shuffling during the game with a misconduct to one of their players. Did not play on PK.

First shift in the 1st, he comes out with a hit, was fairly physical, had 2 other hits in that period. Not a punishing player, but definitely finishes his checks into the boards. Surprisingly, very good skater given his size and he looks tall/lanky on the ice. Had two chances in the first, both created by his positioning in front of the net. Had a weird collision with a team mate, don't know if he didn't see him or something, but it was avoidable.

Second period, showed some two way play. He backchecks fairly well. Had two good clears by supporting his D men. They got a two PP back to back so Beattie did get a very brief chance on the PP. Bulled a guy over in the corner to get the puck back to the point and stood in front of the net. Next ES shift, Drove to the net with the puck, but couldn't get through defenders. Recollected the puck off the boards for a rather harmless spinorama shot from the point. Has a nice reach, created a turnover in the def zone.

Barely played in the 3rd as they were literally on the PP and PK for the majority of the period. Basically a two line team in the period, but he did get a shift in. He continued to be aggressive on the forecheck.

Cool, thanks for the report.

You can definitely see the Canucks place less emphasis on production at the lower levels and more on the overall skillset of the player. Also, going to less scouted markets also seems to be a theme. Let's hope this strategy pays off and guys like Beattie can come out of nowhere to become players.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:12 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piece View Post

Junior hockey systems have developed enough that one good/great offensive player cannot produce at a high level. Even elite players require support to put up huge numbers.

Taylor Hall had:

Zack Kassian(1st rounder)
Greg Nemitsz (1st rounder)
Adam Henrique (2nd rounder)
Ryan Ellis (1st rounder)
Cam Fowler (1st rounder)

I'm not saying Hall couldn't produce without all that support but there is no way in hell he puts up amazing numbers without them.

Gaunce has two D men in the top 3 in scoring on the team and 5 players that have 9 pts in 24 games.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Cool, thanks for the report.

You can definitely see the Canucks place less emphasis on production at the lower levels and more on the overall skillset of the player. Also, going to less scouted markets also seems to be a theme. Let's hope this strategy pays off and guys like Beattie can come out of nowhere to become players.
I think Beattie is going to be one of those sophmores that is going to surprise a lot of people. Myron/Hutton have been playing well enough in their freshman year to expect similar break outs (Hutton has done quite well so far).

Old
11-24-2012, 11:56 AM
thefeebster

The Bulls reminds me of the Kings last season. Both are largely dependent on a tight defensive system, 1st PK in the OHL and most importantly, an excellent goaltender. That's how they win games. Their focus is simply on defense and the games are very boring. But they are still winning, so i don't see them changing too soon.

Sure, he isn't lighting it up, but he is still the top scoring forward on the team and from what i've seen, most of the goals have been ugly... off rebounds in front/by the side of the net mostly. So he isn't relying on his shot really. But i agree, he needs support. Brassard and Zharkov are seriously underperforming as well.

Beattie video coming shortly.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Had a dream where the Canucks won the draft lottery and drafted MacKinnon.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Had a dream where the Canucks won the draft lottery and drafted MacKinnon.
I'd call that a wet dream

Old
11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Could you imagine the ******** here?

Old
11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Junior hockey systems have developed enough that one good/great offensive player cannot produce at a high level. Even elite players require support to put up huge numbers.

Taylor Hall had:

Zack Kassian(1st rounder)
Greg Nemitsz (1st rounder)
Adam Henrique (2nd rounder)
Ryan Ellis (1st rounder)
Cam Fowler (1st rounder)

I'm not saying Hall couldn't produce without all that support but there is no way in hell he puts up amazing numbers without them.

Gaunce has two D men in the top 3 in scoring on the team and 5 players that have 9 pts in 24 games.
In Tyler Seguin's draft year, the Plymouth Whalers top 5 scorers:

Seguin - 106 points
A.J. Jenks - 63
Robert Czarnik - 49
Tyler Brown - 39
Joe Gaynor - 36

Seguin put up elite numbers, and he had squat to play with.

Closed Thread