HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When do you think there will be NHL hockey again?

View Poll Results: When will NHL hockey return?
December 2012 9 10.71%
January 2013 16 19.05%
February 2013 0 0%
September 2013 20 23.81%
October-December 2013 13 15.48%
December-February 2013 5 5.95%
September 2014 9 10.71%
NHL is done and never coming back 12 14.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2012, 10:10 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
When do you think there will be NHL hockey again?

When do you think NHL hockey will make a return?

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 500
Probably December

Owners losing 18 Million per day.

Players losing 10 Million per day.

How stupid do you have to be to keep this going much longer?

They are only $182 Million apart - over 6 years LOL

In 10 days, Owners would have lost $180 Million ...

In 18 days, players would have lost $180 Million ...

They're actually fighting over $180 Million???

They will both end up losing more if they keep this going for more than 2 weeks...

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Probably December

They will both end up losing more if they keep this going for more than 2 weeks...
Thing is, owners would have lost $180 million in 10 days but how much of that ends up back in their pockets? Last year the league as a whole made $125 million in profit on 3 billion in revenue. That would mean that they lose $720,000 in profit per day.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:36 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Thing is, owners would have lost $180 million in 10 days but how much of that ends up back in their pockets? Last year the league as a whole made $125 million in profit on 3 billion in revenue. That would mean that they lose $720,000 in profit per day.
Yeah, but you have to realize the owners of the teams that bleed money are saving money right now by not playing hockey. Those are the guys that are going to make sure the league sticks to it's guns to make sure they get what they want. That being said, I say we don't see NHL hockey until September.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:45 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Probably December

There will be no season. Yes, they are that stupid.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:46 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I have little hope for this season

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I said a couple months back that I was leaning towards the entire season toasted (75% chance totally lost vs 25% chance of some sort of half season salvage... January/Feb etc). I still lean that way... BUT I hope both sides aren't dumb enough to blow the entire season over simply how to cut up this pie.

50-50% split always made sense since back in June/July and no doubt that's how it ends up... simply a matter of how long everyone eventually agrees to all the tangential details to make that come about.

Could take the rest of the season if the sides remain belligerent... could take a few days if they finally get their **** together and realize time is money... the more time they take the more they lose. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out but logic isn't something either side has much of imo.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Yah, I'm hoping for Jan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the season gone again. I'm glad that there some other guys out there such as Hammer being reasonable about things.

Players are being greedy. Your getting paid millions, There are a billion of us that would donate our kidney to be in your position. Sure, play hard-ball for a while, but enough already, shut up and play (and I could care less if a baby like Ovie wants to stay in Russia).

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Said since the beginning of the lockout, NHL will begin Dec 15. Still stand by that prediction despite games cancelled through Dec 14.

If nothing is done within the next few weeks, then the season is done. After the season is done, I don't know or care what happens because I'm done with the NHL if the season is cancelled.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Stoneman89

Is there an option that says I could give a crap anymore?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
That profit is brought about by a select few teams (Rangers, Toronto, etc.). Others are breaking even.The rest lose money every year, in various amounts, Phoenix probably being the worst, or close to it.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
I find that extremely hard to believe.

Actually I do not believe it at all.

It's impossible.

I read an article earlier this week that examined the area the Panthers play in and the profit that arena makes. They looked at each year for the past 10 years. During the last lockout, that arena's profits took a dive. How could profits go down if the Panthers don't make any, seeing as they're one of the have-not teams?
Also, how to rich billionaires keep buying NHL teams if they continually lose money? These businessmen are billionaires for a reason. They aren't stupid. They won't buy a team that is not profitable.

Losing money, and actually losing money are two very different things.

The Oilers are currently losing money (because if they were in a new arena, they could be making more) but they aren't actually losing money. No one in their right mind would buy something for $200 million if it didn't make any money.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:

It's impossible.

I read an article earlier this week that examined the area the Panthers play in and the profit that arena makes. They looked at each year for the past 10 years. During the last lockout, that arena's profits took a dive. How could profits go down if the Panthers don't make any, seeing as they're one of the have-not teams?
Also, how to rich billionaires keep buying NHL teams if they continually lose money? These businessmen are billionaires for a reason. They aren't stupid. They won't buy a team that is not profitable.

The Oilers are currently losing money (because if they were in a new arena, they could be making more) but they aren't actually losing money. No one in their right mind would buy something for $200 million if it didn't make any money.
Not really arguing with you because accountants can do some magical things with profit and loss statements... but to your last point... there are literally multi-billion dollar companies who have never made a dime (and many likely never will). See the dot com craze... many alternative energy companies, medical/drug research companies etc for plenty of current and historical examples.

Plenty of people and huge entities invest billions in corporations which may or may not turn a profit.

Billionaire owners also didn't get to be billionaires by running hockey teams... for some of them (maybe the majority)... owning a team is a trophy, a hobby on the side... and year to year profits/losses from the team itself is often insignificant to their overall income and net worth.

Besides... you also have to consider other factors such as the capital growth of owning a team and how it fits into the "portfolio" of entertainment assets a corporation may own. Very often one asset could on paper be losing money but still be an integral part of the overall stable of assets... which allows the entire portfolio to make more profits than if that team wasn't part of the total package... ancillary/tangential revenue streams, etc.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I've been calling for a December 1 start date, but with that now gone, I'm just hoping for late December so I can catch a Coyotes game or 2 while I'm in Phoenix

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I'll say September 2013, with replacement players.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:

It's impossible.

What I was saying was that collectively, the owners are losing $18 million per day in revenue. Most of that revenue ends up back in the players' pockets.

In terms of profit, the teams are losing $720,000 per day collectively. That's a per team average when you take into account all 30 teams.

So in terms of actual money, the owners are losing $720,000 per day but in terms of actual money, the players are losing $10 million per day.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:33 AM
nullterm

Check back in October. This season is done like dinner.

Both sides look like they maybe want a deal now, but can't even take a break from spiting each other in the media to make any coherent progress.

Last edited by nullterm: 11-24-2012 at 12:39 AM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Philly85
Moody'

hopefully never

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
What I was saying was that collectively, the owners are losing $18 million per day in revenue. Most of that revenue ends up back in the players' pockets.

In terms of profit, the teams are losing $720,000 per day collectively. That's a per team average when you take into account all 30 teams.

So in terms of actual money, the owners are losing $720,000 per day but in terms of actual money, the players are losing $10 million per day.
If calculate the profit of owners, you can't compare that to players' revenue. Players also have to pay taxes and mortgages and so on....
Let's compare apples with apples...

Old
11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
If calculate the profit of owners, you can't compare that to players' revenue. Players also have to pay taxes and mortgages and so on....
Let's compare apples with apples...
Owners dont have to pay taxes and mortgages. They also get free gas and groceries, and dont have to pay bar tabs and get free Macdonalds.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Ranfordrocks

if nothing happends by 2nd week of jan the season is toast

should be enought time in to get atleast 40 games in.

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Owners dont have to pay taxes and mortgages. They also get free gas and groceries, and dont have to pay bar tabs and get free Macdonalds.
I was going to post something like this - but this is soooo much better than what I had in mind.

Mortgages? Really?

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Jamin

The lockout was really bugging me earlier. Ive kind of made peace and dont really care. If anything after players actions on twitter and the media I hope the whole season is lost and they all realize Fehr was full of crap

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
AM

Quote:

It's impossible.

Why wouldnt you buy the Oilers if you could then use it as a pry bar to get your infrastructural project funded by the tax payer?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
if nothing happends by 2nd week of jan the season is toast

should be enought time in to get atleast 40 games in.
they shouldn't bother even playing half a season! if it's less than the 48 games the media keeps mentioning like we had in 1995, the first lockout, then the season lacks integrity if it's only 40 games and, IMO, they should just call the season. but i feel if they start playing by mid January, you will see a condensed season with about 50 games squashed into about 3 months. then playoffs. i wonder if all the fans paying big bucks to watch will get their money's worth watching tired players?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote