HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Or Greene/Maas or Maas/Ray...
Hope you're joking when you mention Greene.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
In my opinion, it would be a big mistake. I don't know if he has a shot. I hope not. However, unlike some here, I never abandon my team, no matter what.
I stated if Reed gets the GM job, I will turn in my three season tickets and refrain from giving the esks any of my money.
I'll still cheer for the team, but won't support them financially. it would be the straw thaty broke the camels back after all the crap I've sat through for the past 5 or 6 years.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Is it possible Reed would make a better GM than coach?

Old
11-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
True. He had a few more hiccups than Sherritt though, especially early on. Really have to strain to find anyone else that was solid the whole year. Maybe Cary Koch.
thank god I reread your post. At first I thought you meant Kyle Koch. (whom I thought the esks worst player outside of the QB position)
you nearly made my head explode.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
as possible as it was for Danny Mac.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:07 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Many things are possible. The question is if it is likely. And I would answer no to that.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
That is a pretty low bar.

Anyone who thinks its a good idea to start Kerry Joseph over a promising young Qb is not likely to make a good gm.

Ditto with the handling of the running back situation and sitting a hot Charles in favour of Boyd because of some pre-set plan.

Reed is a donkey.

The fact he never cops to making a mistake and talks down his nose to media and fans is yet another reason not to like him as a potential gm.

Where I come from you throw away the trash, you dont open up the garbage bag at a later date and pick through it thinking the food you threw away days ago is some how going to taste better after fermenting in a bag.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Where I come from you throw away the trash, you dont open up the garbage bag at a later date and pick through it thinking the food you threw away days ago is some how going to taste better after fermenting in a bag.
Good point, it may not taste better however it may be of better use in a different situation such as the composter.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:55 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Burnett had a really good year defensively too.
Who was the poster again who wanted him benched a few months ago? He could be named an all-Canadian.

I'm actually excited about this matchup. These two teams were the best teams over the last half of the season. Both belong in the big game.

Hey, on the Jim Rome show around 10:30-11 this morning the guest hosts had a very interesting and funny discussion about the GC game, the Calgary horses and a few Canadiana things. Maybe it's available on podcast, but remember the time difference if any. It was very good. I don't like the Rome show and stumbled upon this one.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Hope you're joking when you mention Greene.
Nope. I wasn't. He wasn't terrible. Not as bad as Archer or Jyles. He had his good games, but Maas came in and took him out of that position pretty quickly if I remember quickly.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:27 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Who was the poster again who wanted him benched a few months ago? He could be named an all-Canadian.

I'm actually excited about this matchup. These two teams were the best teams over the last half of the season. Both belong in the big game.

Hey, on the Jim Rome show around 10:30-11 this morning the guest hosts had a very interesting and funny discussion about the GC game, the Calgary horses and a few Canadiana things. Maybe it's available on podcast, but remember the time difference if any. It was very good. I don't like the Rome show and stumbled upon this one.
The sklar brothers there great I love when they interveiw Jerry Jones

Old
11-23-2012, 03:44 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Found one of the Jerry Jones interviews enjoy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AC_3zRsSZIs

Old
11-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
thank god I reread your post. At first I thought you meant Kyle Koch. (whom I thought the esks worst player outside of the QB position)
you nearly made my head explode.

Lol. Funny thing is, I was thinking the exact same thing when I was typing it. Thank God I got the name right. Close shave.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Nope. I wasn't. He wasn't terrible. Not as bad as Archer or Jyles. He had his good games, but Maas came in and took him out of that position pretty quickly if I remember quickly.

Always thought Nealon Greene was a poor man's Tracy Ham. I'll admit, the guy could run like crap, but his ability to run an offence was questionable at best. I doubt he ever went through any of his reads past the 2nd option before taking off. He had a rather short stint with the Esks and was okay. But I wouldn't put the Greene/Maas pairing in with the other two pairings I mentioned.

Sadly, I can go back to the days of Don Trull, Corey Colehour and Larry Lawrence. I vote Trull as the worst quarterback this franchise has ever seen. Older, washed up by the time he came here, no arm, no footspeed, and could never grasp the Canadian game. I'll never forget him setting the CFL record of 6 interceptions in a game against Ottawa. Our defence was so dammed good in those days, we only lost 17-0.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 11-23-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I wasn't a fan of Greene's but I think he still has the single game rushing record for a QB... so there's that.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:09 PM
MoneyGuy

I second Don Trull as the worst QB in Esks' history. And there were many candidates back in the '60s so that's quite the accomplishment.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I wasn't a fan of Greene's but I think he still has the single game rushing record for a QB... so there's that.
As I said, he could run like crap, but had a 10 cent head. I was at that game you refer to, beautiful July night at home against Saskatchewan. At some point, he didn't even bother looking downfield anymore...just took off and ran a second or two after the snap. Very impressive running, but that was it.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Jean Ralphio

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/2...ce-a-low-point

Rhodes delves more in an interview with Jones, including more details about Tillman's faults.

Quote:
"Eric said he was the GM and had never been questioned and if you have hired somebody with his reputation and history of successes, you let him do the job."
Quote:
"We lost confidence in Eric. The breaking point for me, personally, was when he traded our first-round draft choice for kicker Brody McKnight in the middle of the night, without any consultation whatsoever. I found out in the morning when I opened my e-mail."
Sounds about right.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
That article also indicates they want Kavis Reed back as head coach. We'll see what happens I guess.

11-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/2...ce-a-low-point

Rhodes delves more in an interview with Jones, including more details about Tillman's faults.

Sounds about right.
Trading that 1st and 4th rounder for a kicker when we already have one, was when I knew Tillman has to be off his meds. Too bad, the guy did a lot of damage when he was here that will need to be cleaned up. We'll have to make the most of the remaining draft choices we have, sign as many FA's as we can that we still want, and make some bold moves for QB's and O-linemen this off season. Hope Simeon Rottier makes a full recovery. His absence really hurt us.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:06 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Trading that 1st and 4th rounder for a kicker when we already have one, was when I knew Tillman has to be off his meds. Too bad, the guy did a lot of damage when he was here that will need to be cleaned up. We'll have to make the most of the remaining draft choices we have, sign as many FA's as we can that we still want, and make some bold moves for QB's and O-linemen this off season. Hope Simeon Rottier makes a full recovery. His absence really hurt us.
Rottier says he'll be fully healed.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Schitzo

I don't care who coaches next year, I just want to see one game where the Esks actually make adjustments at the half, instead of coming out and looking bewildered that the other team is doing something different.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Lucky 13 candidates have applied to Eskimos to be CFL club’s new GM, says CEO Len Rhodes
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...eo-len-rhodes/

Old
11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
MoneyGuy

Stoneman asked about Rottier's health. I saw him last night and he said that he could almost play today if we had a game. I think he's optimistic. We were at a charity auction. I bought Rottier's Esks' package, including a signed jersey, team photo, team-signed ball and a dressing room and facility tour with Sim.

It's game day. Go, Argos. My money (literally) is on the Stamps but I'm cheering for Ricky and his 'mates. Stamps 36, Argos 33 as the offenses rule under the roof.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Kyle McMahon

Well with 13 to choose from, odds are promising that it won't be Reed....right?

Whatever decision is made, I'm sure it will prove to be a poor one, like most of the decisions this franchise has made in the last decade.

Closed Thread