Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

International Football Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
I'm not really that concerned about Brazilian football at the moment, sure they might not be the #1 ranked team or with the top superstars in the world anymore, but their football is still top notch, their clubs have won the last 3 editions of the Copa Libertadores, plus the WC will be in their home turf, it's not set in stone but I consider Brazil favorites, ahead of Spain, Germany, Italy, Argentina etc.. also by 2014 Neymar might be at an optimal maturing stage in his career...they do need to hire a better coach though, imagine Brazil with Hiddink or Capello?

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
They have amazing players, I also consider them favorites or close to it, but they don't really have a manager to lead them there and that changes things. They can't hire a foreign coach though, and definitely not before a home World Cup. I expect Scolari to come back. One thing's for sure, it is going to be hard for anyone to beat them on their patch, the atmospheres will be crazy.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:32 PM
gary69

vCash: 500
I have no idea who they're considering to hire, but I believe Brazil NT has never had a foreign manager, so odds are it's going to be a Brazilian...

Any good ones out there available with attractive playing style I believe they're after?

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

why can't they hire a foreign coach?

Old
11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
I have no idea who they're considering to hire, but I believe Brazil NT has never had a foreign manager, so odds are it's going to be a Brazilian...

Any good ones out there available with attractive playing style I believe they're after?
Muricy Ramalho might be an option, the FA wanted him after Dunga but his club refused

Old
11-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
why can't they hire a foreign coach?
Brazilians are extremely patriotic. If a Dutchman was to lead them into the World Cup (imagine if they played Netherlands in this scenario, yikes) they'd blow a gasket.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:41 PM
gary69

Quote:
Muricy Ramalho might be an option, the FA wanted him after Dunga but his club refused
IIRC, he didn't do too well internationally with Sao Paulo (albeit a lot of domestic titles), but he has remeded himself with Santos, so I guess he must be one of the forerunners.

I suppose he is in good terms with Neymar, what is his relationship with other major (overseas) players?

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Brazilians are extremely patriotic. If a Dutchman was to lead them into the World Cup (imagine if they played Netherlands in this scenario, yikes) they'd blow a gasket.
mehh, I don't share your sentiment, now if we were talking about an Argentine or something that I'd def. couldn't see it happening for the life of me, but I don't think Brazilians would be bothered by a Dutchman who is world renown as a top class coach

although, you might have a point only because it's being held in Brazil

Old
11-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
IIRC, he didn't do too well internationally with Sao Paulo (albeit a lot of domestic titles), but he has remeded himself with Santos, so I guess he must be one of the forerunners.

I suppose he is in good terms with Neymar, what is his relationship with other major (overseas) players?
not sure about his relationship with other overseas players at the moment to be honest..but he is known for having had success developing young players

Old
11-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

They would have a problem with him not speaking Portuguese and all that. It would never happen, but if it did, he'd never be trusted by the supporters or the media, the latter of which is very influential there and would be all over him. It could possibly be different if he was hired four years before a World Cup that wasn't going to take place in Brazil, or if he was a World Cup winner, but not now.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Come on.
Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, these are the teams that won a few times in the last 30-40 years.
I don't think I remember any having a foreign coach.

England is really an exception, and frankly, that hasn't turned out any better than domestic coaches.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

That doesn't conflict with anything I said. Those teams would not hire a foreign coach, Brazil is the same way. Brazilians would see it as unacceptable.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Yeah but I mean, there's no need to say brasilians are "patriotic". They're no more than everyone else.
It just is much more simple to have a domestic coach.
Most countries that have good coaches will find one to coach their NT.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:52 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

How about Mixu? He looks Brazilian and he got Kilmarnock to play just like Brazil

vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
mehh, I don't share your sentiment, now if we were talking about an Argentine or something that I'd def. couldn't see it happening for the life of me, but I don't think Brazilians would be bothered by a Dutchman who is world renown as a top class coach

although, you might have a point only because it's being held in Brazil
I have 5 brazilians in my team at work, and I can tell you that a foreign coach will never happen to the brazilian national team. Not because they're patriotic but because they have pride in their domestic football. They have no interest whatsoever in european football, very few of them follow european football, and they become completely disinterested in the brazilian players that decide to leave for europe. And when these players play for the national team they get a lot of pressure to perform well. Imagine what would happen for a coach.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:02 AM
cgf

I don't think there's anyway this Brazil wins in 2014. With how young they are, playing at home will be more pressure than support, and the squad's not that great, certainly less talented and well rounded than Spain, Germany and Italy. And now they're looking for a new coach.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I have 5 brazilians in my team at work, and I can tell you that a foreign coach will never happen to the brazilian national team. Not because they're patriotic but because they have pride in their domestic football. They have no interest whatsoever in european football, very few of them follow european football, and they become completely disinterested in the brazilian players that decide to leave for europe. And when these players play for the national team they get a lot of pressure to perform well. Imagine what would happen for a coach.
never say never...I understand what you're saying about the pride in their football, several nations can probably be categorized the same way and I can see what you're referring to if Hiddink or some other foreigner was hired people having the sentiment of "we don't need to hire a foreigner we have talent here " type of rhetoric, but by the same token I can def. see people not having a problem at all with it...

would be interesting if you ask your 5 friends how they would feel if the NT were to hire a foreigner, but not just any foreigner to manage their team, someone as respected as say Hiddink

Old
11-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
There was a pro wrestler who kicked the brazilian flag out of the ring. The Brazilian police came in and stopped the match, and it got the wrestler in legal hot water.

So I can believe your take.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
There was a pro wrestler who kicked the brazilian flag out of the ring. The Brazilian police came in and stopped the match, and it got the wrestler in legal hot water.

So I can believe your take.
dude that would happen anywhere lol I reckon in some you might even be executed

Old
11-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
dude that would happen anywhere lol I reckon in some you might even be executed
Not everywhere, and lets keep the context in mind. Wrestling is scripted. The performer is playing a character, its not reality. Anyways, I digress.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Scolari, new Brazil coach....