HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What year did Tuuk/Plastic holders come out?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2012, 05:46 PM
  #1
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
What year did Tuuk/Plastic holders come out?

I've always been curious to know this. I know this much:

77' NHL finals- tube holders
78' NHL finals- plastic holders almost exclusively on players skates, refs had tube

I'm guessing Tuuks came out in late 77'- early 78'?

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
  #2
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33,251
vCash: 500
Actually a little earlier than that. Bauer introduced the Tuuk chassis in the early 70's, Roberts of the Habs the first to wear them at the NHL level, followed by Lafleur, Shutt & Lemaire. By 77-78-79, pretty much universal, the metal chassis gone, CCM, Daoust, newer brands like Micron & Lange following suit.... oh, and you know what? I cant stand them. Like skating on blades attached to ping pong balls. No kinetic feel with the ice. Gimme a pair of CCM Super Tacks, all metal chassis anyday. Way better.... then theres the sticks. All wood please.... and helmets. Should be optional from Junior up. No facemasks for forwards/defencemen in amateur....

what else ya got we should fix?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:31 AM
  #3
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
Thanks for the reply. I've never skated in the old metal runner skates. Just a player that loves everything retro about the game. However I use all the latest light equipment of course.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
  #4
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've never skated in the old metal runner skates. Just a player that loves everything retro about the game. However I use all the latest light equipment of course.
... I think probably if your brought up with the newer technology in skates, then tried out a pair of CCM Tacks or whatever including of course the older boot design, might have a bit of a problem at first, but you'd quickly adapt. Theres no question the Tuuk chassis system is more kinetic, the latest in boot designs providing more support & protection, symbiosis in terms of energy efficiency, glide & sharp radius turns etc, but I guess in my case its just hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:36 PM
  #5
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
Gotcha. Some YouTube research nails it at about 77' when they started showing up.

76' finals I didn't see Tuuks on anyone.
77' finals at the very least Lafleur and Lemaire had them.
78' finals virtually everyone had them.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:22 AM
  #6
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33,251
vCash: 500
One other interesting aspect of skate development was the mandatory use of skate blade heel guards in 57-58 after Maurice Richard had his achilles tendon cut in a game. Previously, a mettle plug was attached, welded on, but that could still cause damage so they opted for a plastic job that was bigger, rounder & smoother, wouldnt puncture.

Additionally, on the upper rear heel portion of the skate boot itself, an extra 3" or so high by 4" or so wide piece of leather was added to cover the top of the achilles tendon & lower rear calf muscle, resembling todays skates of course, whereas previously the boot was the same height front & back. This added more protection & lateral support, grommets often installed on the top corners to insert laces through that you could used to tie down the lower portion of your shin pad. A big rush to the shoemakers to have them made & attached if you had perfectly serviceable but somewhat older skates...

From pretty much 1939 through the mid 70's, something like 90% of all players wore CCM Tacks (Tackaberrys'). Bauer, in the teens, 20's & 30's was actually the leader, then re-establishing themselves & again becoming the skate of choice for players with the Tuuk Chassis system some 30yrs after losing top spot to CCM, though throughout they did have a great product, including the Supreme & Black Panther lines. If you had a wide foot, a superior choice over the CCM Tacks. Other less known but also terrific brands included Daoust (D&R), some private label brands made by CCM or Bauer for department stores (Canadian Tire had Playmaker, Eatons who for awhile featured Gordie Howe & Bobby Hull Model skates, along with sticks, gloves etc, as did a few US based department & chain sporting goods stores as well). Adidas, Lange & a few other European models coming onto the scene in the mid-60's as well as I recall.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:37 AM
  #7
McGuillicuddy
Registered User
 
McGuillicuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Actually a little earlier than that. Bauer introduced the Tuuk chassis in the early 70's, Roberts of the Habs the first to wear them at the NHL level, followed by Lafleur, Shutt & Lemaire. By 77-78-79, pretty much universal, the metal chassis gone, CCM, Daoust, newer brands like Micron & Lange following suit.... oh, and you know what? I cant stand them. Like skating on blades attached to ping pong balls. No kinetic feel with the ice. Gimme a pair of CCM Super Tacks, all metal chassis anyday. Way better.... then theres the sticks. All wood please.... and helmets. Should be optional from Junior up. No facemasks for forwards/defencemen in amateur....

what else ya got we should fix?
You're okay with masks on goalies? Artificial ice resurfacing? What about the forward pass?

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:47 PM
  #8
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
You're okay with masks on goalies? Artificial ice resurfacing? What about the forward pass?
.... yepp. Im ok with all that. But the ice & rink board advertising, "Game Presentations",
trapezoid behind the net, the "Instigator" rule, regular season OT & Shootouts? Not so much.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 01:25 AM
  #9
1955
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Actually a little earlier than that. Bauer introduced the Tuuk chassis in the early 70's, Roberts of the Habs the first to wear them at the NHL level, followed by Lafleur, Shutt & Lemaire. By 77-78-79, pretty much universal, the metal chassis gone, CCM, Daoust, newer brands like Micron & Lange following suit.... oh, and you know what? I cant stand them. Like skating on blades attached to ping pong balls. No kinetic feel with the ice. Gimme a pair of CCM Super Tacks, all metal chassis anyday. Way better.... then theres the sticks. All wood please.... and helmets. Should be optional from Junior up. No facemasks for forwards/defencemen in amateur....

what else ya got we should fix?
Sorry to bring up a thread from the dead, but I was looking up the history of Tuuk blades and came across this thread. I agree completely with your assessment of the Tuuk blades. When they came out, I believe they came stock on my custom Super Tacks...but I'm not positive. Anyway, I HATED them! I ordered my Tacks with the PROLITE's for as long as they were available, but eventually, you couldn't even get them.
I did get lucky though...I used to get my Tacks custom fitted by Hans at the Culver City ice rink. The Kings used to practice there, and I'd watch them from the pro shop upstairs. Hans let me know that he had replaced the steel blades, for Tuuk's on all the Kings skates...and that there were 5 pairs of PROLITE blades, in my size, in storage! I bought all 5 pairs, on the spot. Over the next couple of years, I used them all up, except for one pair, which I still have today. I saved that pair, saying that I'd put them on my skates when I'm 60 years old. Well, I'm 60! I haven't been skating in 5 years, and that was just a few times with my daughter, while it held her interest! So today, a buddy of mine says he wants to go skating and learn how to "hockey stop"! So, anyway, I had a ball skating again and now I KNOW I need to get back into shape, AND have those PROLITE blades put on my (then top of the line) 650 Tacks. And finally toss those old, blue Perfecta's!

1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 07:36 AM
  #10
ICM1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... yepp. Im ok with all that. But the ice & rink board advertising, "Game Presentations",
trapezoid behind the net, the "Instigator" rule, regular season OT & Shootouts? Not so much.
My, we do get some people here who are a little sensitive, eh Killion, lol? BTW, I kind of like the skates that had the plasticized tube blade holders that seemed to be in vogue during the late 1970s. You can see ones like Reggie Leach (one of my boyhood heroes) wearing them circa 1978 or thereabouts.

ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 11:56 AM
  #11
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
Sorry to bring up a thread from the dead, but I was looking up the history of Tuuk blades and came across this thread. I agree completely with your assessment of the Tuuk blades. When they came out, I believe they came stock on my custom Super Tacks...but I'm not positive. Anyway, I HATED them! I ordered my Tacks with the PROLITE's for as long as they were available, but eventually, you couldn't even get them.
I did get lucky though...I used to get my Tacks custom fitted by Hans at the Culver City ice rink. The Kings used to practice there, and I'd watch them from the pro shop upstairs. Hans let me know that he had replaced the steel blades, for Tuuk's on all the Kings skates...and that there were 5 pairs of PROLITE blades, in my size, in storage! I bought all 5 pairs, on the spot. Over the next couple of years, I used them all up, except for one pair, which I still have today. I saved that pair, saying that I'd put them on my skates when I'm 60 years old. Well, I'm 60! I haven't been skating in 5 years, and that was just a few times with my daughter, while it held her interest! So today, a buddy of mine says he wants to go skating and learn how to "hockey stop"! So, anyway, I had a ball skating again and now I KNOW I need to get back into shape, AND have those PROLITE blades put on my (then top of the line) 650 Tacks. And finally toss those old, blue Perfecta's!
... great story, totally agree & good for you... Welcome to hf 1955!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICM1970 View Post
My, we do get some people here who are a little sensitive, eh Killion, lol? BTW, I kind of like the skates that had the plasticized tube blade holders that seemed to be in vogue during the late 1970s. You can see ones like Reggie Leach (one of my boyhood heroes) wearing them circa 1978 or thereabouts.
.... yep, lol. ... and sorry ICM, not diggin the Tuuk blade system AT ALL. Like your blades are riding on empty egg cartons. Empty hollow feeling, no kinetic "feel". Plastic World. Bad enough with the helmets then that hideous "innovation" & so called "advancement" in skate technology.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 02:52 PM
  #12
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Grumpville USA
Country: United States
Posts: 48,264
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
One other interesting aspect of skate development was the mandatory use of skate blade heel guards in 57-58 after Maurice Richard had his achilles tendon cut in a game. Previously, a mettle plug was attached, welded on, but that could still cause damage so they opted for a plastic job that was bigger, rounder & smoother, wouldnt puncture.

Additionally, on the upper rear heel portion of the skate boot itself, an extra 3" or so high by 4" or so wide piece of leather was added to cover the top of the achilles tendon & lower rear calf muscle, resembling todays skates of course, whereas previously the boot was the same height front & back. This added more protection & lateral support, grommets often installed on the top corners to insert laces through that you could used to tie down the lower portion of your shin pad. A big rush to the shoemakers to have them made & attached if you had perfectly serviceable but somewhat older skates...

From pretty much 1939 through the mid 70's, something like 90% of all players wore CCM Tacks (Tackaberrys'). Bauer, in the teens, 20's & 30's was actually the leader, then re-establishing themselves & again becoming the skate of choice for players with the Tuuk Chassis system some 30yrs after losing top spot to CCM, though throughout they did have a great product, including the Supreme & Black Panther lines. If you had a wide foot, a superior choice over the CCM Tacks. Other less known but also terrific brands included Daoust (D&R), some private label brands made by CCM or Bauer for department stores (Canadian Tire had Playmaker, Eatons who for awhile featured Gordie Howe & Bobby Hull Model skates, along with sticks, gloves etc, as did a few US based department & chain sporting goods stores as well). Adidas, Lange & a few other European models coming onto the scene in the mid-60's as well as I recall.
I loved my Daoust skates. Great fit.

__________________



You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 03:04 PM
  #13
fish7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 111
vCash: 130
Red Berenson was the first Blues player that I saw skate with them. I totally agree on the pro lite blade definitely my fav

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 03:31 PM
  #14
mbhhofr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I loved my Daoust skates. Great fit.
First skates I ever had after graduating from double runners. They were a hand me down from my brother and had to stuff newspaper in the toes for a fit.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.