HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Why do people have outdoor cats?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  #76
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,988
vCash: 422
Emotional attachment has nothing to do with domesticating animals. You don't see farmers snuggling with cows.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
  #77
tape to tape
Registered User
 
tape to tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
You didn't have him fixed, there's your problem
If we fixed him he probably wouldn't have had the same edge with ground hogs and raccoons.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  #78
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 44,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I'm not really sure what emotional attachment has to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Emotional attachment has nothing to do with domesticating animals. You don't see farmers snuggling with cows.
I think his point was that the cat only keeps coming back home because you feed it, and if you didn't it would just stay out and be wild or feral. They say that cats get attached to places not people, meanwhile dogs are "man's best friend" and show loyalty towards their owner moreso than cats. However I disagree with this.


Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 11-23-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:33 PM
  #79
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,349
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
I think his point was that the cat only keeps coming back home because you feed it, and if you didn't it would just stay out and be wild or feral. They say that cats get attached to places not people, meanwhile dogs are "man's best friend" and show loyalty towards their owner moreso than cats. However I disagree with this.
Works both ways, depends on the cat really. Some are more or less 'wild' and do as is suggested (stick around for food), while others do actually get attached to people. The real difference between cats & dogs is that dogs are pack animals and bond to the people within a home, while cats in general get accustomed to a place but form a personal bond to people they like.

And I say in general because that's another huge difference between the two animals. Dogs tend to be kind of samey, you can pretty much sort their attitudes/personalities by breed. Cats on the other hand vary greatly in personality, not just among the same breed but even coming from the same litter.

In my opinion people who think cats are just a bunch of jerks have never had a cat that actually liked them, where as with a dog its automatic, or at least an easily defined process to make it work.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:48 PM
  #80
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
Hoping to get a pellet gun this winter to take care of this problem next spring. I'm sorry but I value a Blue Jays live just as much as a cat.
If these cats have owners then you're going to have some serious problems on your hands. Animal cruelty is pretty standard news material. I have two beloved family cats, and if some twisted coward decided it was their right to kill them because of a self righteous belief that they're responsible for controlling the population, you better believe that I would make sure justice is served, and I'm sure the majority of the population feels the same.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:58 PM
  #81
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Boo ****ing hoo, they are merely just inconveniences.

But anyway:
-Humans and other animals don't kill wildlife?
Humans are controlled and heavily fined if they hunt in areas they shouldn't hunt. As well, animals are routinely culled from areas (think wolves, coyotes) that they are over hunting. You try to cull cats? Furthermore, there is a difference between natural predators and introducing predators that can really screw up the ecosystem. It happened in Australia and it happens in cities.

Quote:
-Other (wild animals) don't breed uncontrollably? But fair enough, I'd agree you shouldn't let it out if it isn't fixed.
Again, wild animals breed but we have natural ways of taking care of that. Pretty much through hunting. Can I go hunt cats?

Quote:
-Again other animals don't do that? Plus if a cat or any other animals has a favourite spot there are ways of stopping it going there, stuff you can spray
Technically no. Most wild life tend to shy away from heavily urban areas. I don't step in raccoon or deer scat on my way to the car. I can and try to avoid cat scat when going to my car.

Quote:
-Disease is everywhere, cats are only one of billions of causes.
Some diseases are cats only.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:07 PM
  #82
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Antifreeze?
My Mom set out a bowl of antifreeze to kill wild animals eating up the garden. Well the neighbor's dog got loose drank some, and Mom got nailed with a felony charge of cruelty to animals.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:13 PM
  #83
Socks
HeadFake
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
I would argue that my it's my cats who own me and not the other way around, but they're still domesticated.

I've tried to fight it, but for real - they own me.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
  #84
Cardiac_Canes
Registered User
 
Cardiac_Canes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,696
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
I would argue that my it's my cats who own me and not the other way around, but they're still domesticated.

I've tried to fight it, but for real - they own me.
So true. My cat has me whipped. When he wants outside he'll sit by the door yelling forever until I let him out. The worst is on the weekend when he wants me to wake up. I get up at 4:30 during the week for work so come 7 on weekends he wants me up and wont leave me alone.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:15 AM
  #85
njdevscup30
Boom Boom
 
njdevscup30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philthy Country
Country: United States
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
This thread is downright pathetic.

My cats have always gone outdoors. I live in a small town where anyone who has cats has them outdoors. I have my cats fixed and they hardly ever leave the yard. People make it sound like cats outdoors are running around terrorizing small children and destroying everyone's houses. All my cats ever do outside is sleep and maybe catch a bird or some mice.

I don't think people in this thread realize that not everyone lives in the city.
This this this and more this.

My cats come in at night and usually are outside about 5-8 hours a day. Sometimes they don't come back in at night and when you get up the next morning you see them by the door wanting to come back in.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:04 AM
  #86
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Please, your answers are kind of childish. I cat is a DOMESTICATED PET not a WILD animal or even a farm animal that has a reason to be outside. So with your logic it is fine for me to let my dog go out every morning and let her do what she wants? I don't see a difference between her and a cat. She would surely like it more then being stuck at home but that does not mean I let her run free.
Cats actually aren't considered domesticated, just tame. This is largely due to the fact that on average you can take a house cat out of a home setting and toss it into a wild environment and it will continue living without issue. Your average dog on the other hand is not going to last too long without handouts from people

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:41 AM
  #87
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 44,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Cats actually aren't considered domesticated, just tame. This is largely due to the fact that on average you can take a house cat out of a home setting and toss it into a wild environment and it will continue living without issue. Your average dog on the other hand is not going to last too long without handouts from people
Quoted for all of you who posted reaction gifs when I said some people argue this.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:07 AM
  #88
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Quoted for all of you who posted reaction gifs when I said some people argue this.
It's true that by the strictest definition a cat is domesticated, because domestication as it was originally coined refers to manipulation of the species genetics over time- so in that regards yes a house cat is now a separate species than the cats it was originally bred from.

In behavioral parlance though, which seems to be what this discussion is primarily focused on, there are degrees of domestication, and while your average house cat does pretty well in a home, odds are it would re-integrate into the wilderness without issue.

I can see this separation even in my own cats, which are all house cats currently for disease prevention purposes, in that 2 of my cats absolutely without a doubt could live wild without any assistance, and might even thrive there better than they do in my home. My wife and I talk about making them barn cats sometimes, because while we don't have a rodent problem in our barn per se, there is certainly no shortage of them. A third cat of mine is sort of a toss up, and the fourth is an example of a cat that could never survive in the wild, and I wouldn't hesitate to call him fully domesticated.

My dogs, on the other hand, are a different story. They could all potentially survive as a pack, because they all know how to eat raw meat, but I would so only my 2 Belgian shepherds would have a prayer of regularly catching prey on their own. However dogs as a species have lost of lot o their naturally pack instincts, and all of my female dogs are dominant and would not pack well together, while the male is submissive, and would likely not be able to lead the group. As individuals they possess some of the tools necessary to survive, but not the group dynamic that wild dogs still heavily rely on. In that way, dogs have been domesticated in a fundamentally different way than cats- cats haven't had any aspect of their natural behavior necessary for survival totally removed, while most dogs have lost the ability to function as part of a pack.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:44 AM
  #89
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
I got a cat. Vicious little sociopath. Love it. Drowned a mouse the other day by holding it under water.

I pretty much let it out whenever it wants and call it back in at night. It comes scampering in immediately, which leads me to believe he doesn't really leave the fenced in yard all too much. Which is good, because we have a strong coyote problem here on the Cape.

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:50 AM
  #90
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,283
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Cats actually aren't considered domesticated, just tame. This is largely due to the fact that on average you can take a house cat out of a home setting and toss it into a wild environment and it will continue living without issue. Your average dog on the other hand is not going to last too long without handouts from people
Scientific journal that says this? Ever hear of feral dogs? Cats, dogs, ferrets, etc etc are domesticated just like horses, cows, pigs or at least certain varieties of these animals.

Cats http://archaeology.about.com/od/dome...ons/qt/cat.htm

Quote:
A recent study suggests that cats were domesticated at the same time as that of wheat and barley in the Fertile Crescent region, that is about 10,000 years ago. Time will tell--the only archaeological data supporting that is at Shillourokambos in Cyprus. This exciting news is definitely not as far-fetched as it might be, given the role of the cat as the hunter of grain-eating rodents. It's one of those arguments about who may have been more domesticated in this relationship--the cat or the human?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:04 AM
  #91
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,283
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Some would actually argue that a cat isn't domesticated. But still really they are not causing any harm that isn't already being done.

Are you serious? There's a massive difference between dogs and cats. Firstly cats are territorial and don't venture far away from home, dogs on the other hand will go further and get lost. Also how often do cats attack humans when outside? Your dog may be well trained and not aggressive while others are the complete opposite, that's why it's illegal to let a dog off its leash in public.

I'd have no problem with you letting your dog out if you were absolutely sure it would cause no harm to anyone and if you felt it would be safe, but unfortunately the law doesn't work like that.
You don't think dogs are territorial? Just like their forefathers the wolf, they are very territorial animals. Cats regularly attack humans

Quote:
After bad toilet habits, aggression is the second most common problem behaviour in cats. According to statistics from the USA, cats bite about 750 000 people there every year. Cat bites come with a generous mouthful of bacteria which more often than not gives the victim a nasty infection to go with the bite. So it is no wonder that much effort goes into understanding cat aggression and how to deal with it.
Dogs are not "trained to not be aggressive", in fact most are very friendly by name, such goes with coming from a pack animal. Are you aware that there is a growing number of places that have banned cats being let out without a leash?

Also if I was your neighbor why should I have to put up with your cat ******** on my property or pissing in my kids sandbox? While I know it is not true for everyone, I hate those that don't, I pick up my dogs crap when I walk him. Do you go out everyday and find your cats droppings and clean them up? And yes I know they try to cover them over but lets face it they aren't always successful and usually this means they are doing it in a flower bed or sandbox type place which means some poor human might get stuck touching it by accident.

Also why should I put up with a free roaming cat meowing or killing animals on my property? You want to let your cat out, then make sure it stays on your land.

This is a great article and gives you a little perspective as to how owned free roaming cats can be a problem. http://news.illinois.edu/news/11/052...us-Warner.html

Quote:
Cats also get diseases from wildlife or other cats, Mateus-Pinilla said, and can bring them home and infect their owners and other pets.

“For example, Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite spread primarily by cats, may cause neurological, reproductive and even respiratory problems in humans, cats and wildlife, depending on the species affected,” she said. Rabies, cat scratch fever, feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus are also of concern to pet owners whose cats encounter other cats outdoors, she said. Vaccination of pet cats will reduce but not eliminate the threat of disease transmission, she said.

Even though pet cats have relatively small ranges and are active only in short bursts, Warner said, their impact on wildlife in the immediate vicinity of their homes is likely much more intense than that of a feral cat that wanders over a larger territory.

Unlike other feline predators, such as bobcats, that are native to the Midwest, domestic cats are invasive species that have a disproportionately damaging effect on wildlife – either through predation or disease, Horn said.

Wild animals that have adapted to ecosystems that are already fragmented, such as the prairies of Central Illinois, are even more endangered because domestic cats are disrupting the ecosystem by hunting, competing with native predators or spreading disease, he said.
They are even more trouble then their feral brethren.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
  #92
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,283
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
If these cats have owners then you're going to have some serious problems on your hands. Animal cruelty is pretty standard news material. I have two beloved family cats, and if some twisted coward decided it was their right to kill them because of a self righteous belief that they're responsible for controlling the population, you better believe that I would make sure justice is served, and I'm sure the majority of the population feels the same.
While I would not kill a nuisance cat, I would likely do what a friend did. He had a cat pissing by a window as I said in another post. He found out who the owner was and asked them to keep the cat inside and explained why. They owned didn't give a **** so my friend caught the cat with a human cage and brought it to animal control saying it was a stray he found. Tough ****, if you don't want to control your animal then hopefully someone else will adopt it and do a better job.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
  #93
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
While I would not kill a nuisance cat, I would likely do what a friend did. He had a cat pissing by a window as I said in another post. He found out who the owner was and asked them to keep the cat inside and explained why. They owned didn't give a **** so my friend caught the cat with a human cage and brought it to animal control saying it was a stray he found. Tough ****, if you don't want to control your animal then hopefully someone else will adopt it and do a better job.
Even though my cats would love to go outdoors I keep them inside because it's much safer and we care about them, there's way too many hazards outside like vehicles, coyotes, diseases and even some people who are just messed up in the head. However I don't have any issues with people who allow their cats to go outside as long as they understand the pros and cons, it is their right.

Your friend however sounds like they have some personal problems. There is a ton of animals in residential neighbourhoods that piss and **** in people yards, does your friend set traps for birds, raccoons, skunks, rodents, coyotes, deer etc too, or is it just an anti social issue he has with the neighbours? Personally I view my cats as a part of the family, and if some creep kidnapped them and gave them away never to be seen again I can only hope they would have the balls to inform me of what they did. Did your friend have the integrity to do that afterwards? How would you feel if some neighbour complained about your dogs noise pollution and decided to get all self righteous and kidnap it one day never to be seen again. Is that an honourable act? Of course it isn't.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:43 AM
  #94
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Scientific journal that says this? Ever hear of feral dogs? Cats, dogs, ferrets, etc etc are domesticated just like horses, cows, pigs or at least certain varieties of these animals.

Cats http://archaeology.about.com/od/dome...ons/qt/cat.htm
As I said in my second post, cats are absolutely domesticated in the strict definition of domestication, as in humans have successfully bred certain traits into and out of their gene pool through selective and controlled breeding.

In a behavioral context, as I mentioned, there are degrees of domestication, and in this context, you'll find that cats are not domesticated in the same way that a dog, for example, is domesticated.

You can quote me about.com or wiki articles all day long, but that doesn't make you an expert on animal behavior.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:43 PM
  #95
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
Even though my cats would love to go outdoors I keep them inside because it's much safer and we care about them, there's way too many hazards outside like vehicles, coyotes, diseases and even some people who are just messed up in the head. However I don't have any issues with people who allow their cats to go outside as long as they understand the pros and cons, it is their right.

Your friend however sounds like they have some personal problems. There is a ton of animals in residential neighbourhoods that piss and **** in people yards, does your friend set traps for birds, raccoons, skunks, rodents, coyotes, deer etc too, or is it just an anti social issue he has with the neighbours? Personally I view my cats as a part of the family, and if some creep kidnapped them and gave them away never to be seen again I can only hope they would have the balls to inform me of what they did. Did your friend have the integrity to do that afterwards? How would you feel if some neighbour complained about your dogs noise pollution and decided to get all self righteous and kidnap it one day never to be seen again. Is that an honourable act? Of course it isn't.
If his friend did that to my cat, I would probably kick the **** out of him.

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:46 PM
  #96
jimmythescot
Registered User
 
jimmythescot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Emotional attachment has nothing to do with domesticating animals. You don't see farmers snuggling with cows.
You see Aberdonians doing considerably more than snuggling with sheep.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
  #97
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
If his friend did that to my cat, I would probably kick the **** out of him.
No kidding, if there ever was a reason to lay a beating on a neighbour, this is probably it..

Beowulf's friends sounds like a straight up chump.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
  #98
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
Beowulf's friends sounds like a straight up chump.
And his neighbor sounds like an *******.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:59 PM
  #99
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
And his neighbor sounds like an *******.
How So? By letting their cat outside like millions of other people do in an area where plenty of other animals inhabit? For not being able to hold the cats hand while it takes a leak?

If that's the issue then go to the city and try and make it illegal for cats to be outdoors, don't be a freak and kidnap the cat, like seriously who the **** does this or would support this?

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:05 PM
  #100
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
How So? By letting their cat outside like millions of other people do in an area where plenty of other animals inhabit? For not being able to hold the cats hand while it takes a leak?

If that's the issue then go to the city and try and make it illegal for cats to be outdoors, don't be a freak and kidnap the cat, like seriously who the **** does this or would support this?
Asshats.

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.