HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 10:34 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
The biggest issue right now appears that not all the Tommies are buying into Coach Ryan's "structures", as he refers to his systems. As many have mentioned, they don't have the talent, yet, to go end-to-end with opponents and they need to slow up forwards waltzing in from the neutral zone.

I'm not a fan of the neutral zone trap by any stretch of the imagination, but some of structure that clogs up the middle might be a start. For now at least.

But it doesn't matter what the coach plans if all his players aren't following the plan.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:37 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Easier said than done! This entire league has elevated itself since you played with STU
You play UNB,Moncton,Acadia and those are top 5 teams in the country, than the rest of the pack is also very,very competitive. Outside of STU, there are no weak teams, no gimme games, unlike the OUA. That's not meant to be a dig, because it has also improved, but it's reality. They are giving up a ton of shots every night. Would a trap style work? I don't think that you will have any better results, I don't think that they have the skill to counter attack, but they can't be giving up 50 shots a game.
Ryan knows his systems well, it's not a coaching problem! It's recruiting and if he's handcuffed, than it's a big problem!
I'd be looking at the ECHL, maybe they can attract one or two players under 21 years of age, who have had a change in heart and are looking to go the college way, instead of semi-pro.
There are no "gimmie" games in the OUA, look at the standings thus far. Log jam. And I understand the talent in the AUS, its my job to know who is where and who is doing well. We pushed the eventual national champs last year in their barn to a 3-2 McGill win with 10 forwards and 4 defense. But still, there are ways to slow better teams down and keep the shots to the outside for your goalie and chip pucks in the NZ and wait for your opportunity to counter attack. Play discipined hockey and try to win the special teams battle. Groenheyde is a talented enough goalie to save the shots that he can see, everyone can at this level. Like Foyle said, it's a matter of buying into the system. If you are 0-6, obviously your not.

And again with the budget! If you put a lot of money into a new rink, staff a gameday team, gas prices going up for those 4 hour bus trips and hotel stays in Halifax and buy a new set of sweet jerseys, obviously, you are going to have less money going into a new season. You don't lose hockey games with economics. Again, rebuilding team. Best way to recruit, is to win. That's how UNB does it.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:43 AM
cookiecutter

Always said I was willing to give Ryan three years before evaluating. The money spent on the new rink was a waste of resources for the on ice program. Use the 2 mill+ to increase the program offerings at STU in order to attract more hockey players. Re the womens program....they eventually have to win something as every other womens program is either ramping back or gone...give MTA, UNB etc the same money and we go back to the bottom.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM
cishockeyfan

In simple terms, hockey is just a game, its great to win and it sucks to lose, but in the end its just a game.

I dont think their is really anyone pointing any finger at Troy Ryan at all, we all know were this all started.

Its certainly not a matter of the Players not buying into Ryans System, but as you could understand as an individual, you get frustrated as a player its hard to try when you feel the end result will be the same.

Eventually it will pass, Troy Ryan will do fine, the budget will lift back up.

If I was the Tommies coach knowing it would be hard to get new talent at Xmas, i would concentrate on a couple of Big Bruisers, make the Tommies hard to play against or let the other teams know your gonna get hit hard

Old
10-31-2012, 09:30 AM
timbitca

What's the deal with Leduc?

People have been talking to me about it this morning at McD's while I was having breakfast and also now at school and I have no clue. Of course we haven't received the Times & Transcript this morning and the paywall on Canadaeast.com isn't helping.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:32 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
What's the deal with Leduc?

People have been talking to me about it this morning at McD's while I was having breakfast and also now at school and I have no clue. Of course we haven't received the Times & Transcript this morning and the paywall on Canadaeast.com isn't helping.
Alexandre Leduc has been suspended indefinitely by the St. Thomas Tommies after an incident at 6:08 of the third period of Saturday night's game versus the Saint Mary's Huskies. The following is a quote from today's Daily Gleaner.

The Tommies sophomore head coach has suspended forward Alex Leduc indefinitely for conduct unbecoming a student athlete. During the third period of the Tommies' 5-0 loss to the Saint Mary's Huskies on home ice Saturday night, Leduc, who transferred to STU from the Université de Moncton in the off season, was penalized for four minutes for spearing Saint Mary's forward Brad Smith, who suffered a broken ankle on the play. Ryan said in a statement that Leduc showed clear intent to injure an opposing player. 'That type of behaviour is not acceptable and it will not be tolerated by our men's hockey program,' said Ryan in a statement. 'On behalf of our program, I would like to apologize to Brad Smith and the Saint Mary's hockey program. I know that this does not make the situation any better, but hopefully it will prevent similar situations from happening again. In my opinion, it was completely out of frustration and was done so thinking there would be no consequences. Smith was the target because he happened to be in a vulnerable situation and Alex took his frustrations out on him.' Leduc, a 23-year-old native of Verdun, Que., played last season for UdeM, scoring eight goals and seven assists for 15 points while accumulating 40 penalty minutes in 23 games.
After being checked from behind by Huskies forward Josh Domingues close to the players benches, Leduc lashed out at Smith, who happened to be the closest SMU player to him at the time. Smith layed on the ice in obvious discomfort, as a scrum ensued between several players, including Leduc, immediately in the area where both incidents occurred. STU's Athletic Therapist Patrick Carmichael would assist in helping Smith from the ice and to the Tommies medical area for treatment.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
cookiecutter

Hey CIS HOckey Fan. Your suggestion to get a couple of bruisers??? Were you watching the Hanson Brothers on keger night? This is not football or wrestling. I know that the STU brass needed to buy into the new rink while plans were still on the ground floor, however, think what two million dollars could do to develop a new faculty at STU....Business perhaps? Why not do that as well. Attract some junior players who also can get a different undergrad degree, get competetive, and continue to roll...This is not the seventies and it is not a level playing field.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
rantfather

Appropriate competitive conduct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Alexandre Leduc has been suspended indefinitely by the St. Thomas Tommies after an incident at 6:08 of the third period of Saturday night's game versus the Saint Mary's Huskies. The following is a quote from today's Daily Gleaner.

The Tommies sophomore head coach has suspended forward Alex Leduc indefinitely for conduct unbecoming a student athlete. During the third period of the Tommies' 5-0 loss to the Saint Mary's Huskies on home ice Saturday night, Leduc, who transferred to STU from the Université de Moncton in the off season, was penalized for four minutes for spearing Saint Mary's forward Brad Smith, who suffered a broken ankle on the play. Ryan said in a statement that Leduc showed clear intent to injure an opposing player. 'That type of behaviour is not acceptable and it will not be tolerated by our men's hockey program,' said Ryan in a statement. 'On behalf of our program, I would like to apologize to Brad Smith and the Saint Mary's hockey program. I know that this does not make the situation any better, but hopefully it will prevent similar situations from happening again. In my opinion, it was completely out of frustration and was done so thinking there would be no consequences. Smith was the target because he happened to be in a vulnerable situation and Alex took his frustrations out on him.' Leduc, a 23-year-old native of Verdun, Que., played last season for UdeM, scoring eight goals and seven assists for 15 points while accumulating 40 penalty minutes in 23 games.
After being checked from behind by Huskies forward Josh Domingues close to the players benches, Leduc lashed out at Smith, who happened to be the closest SMU player to him at the time. Smith layed on the ice in obvious discomfort, as a scrum ensued between several players, including Leduc, immediately in the area where both incidents occurred. STU's Athletic Therapist Patrick Carmichael would assist in helping Smith from the ice and to the Tommies medical area for treatment.
Coach Ryan's response to this on ice incident is ABSOLUTELY appropriate and I agree fully with it.
There is NO ROOM in the AUS for this kind of mindless behavior.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:00 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Hey CIS HOckey Fan. Your suggestion to get a couple of bruisers??? Were you watching the Hanson Brothers on keger night? This is not football or wrestling. I know that the STU brass needed to buy into the new rink while plans were still on the ground floor, however, think what two million dollars could do to develop a new faculty at STU....Business perhaps? Why not do that as well. Attract some junior players who also can get a different undergrad degree, get competetive, and continue to roll...This is not the seventies and it is not a level playing field.
Your ignorance of the University is telling. STU will never be able to grant an undergraduate business degree for two reasons. 1. UNB would block it faster than you could blink. 2. MPHEC would not approve the granting authority because of UNB's offerings on the same campus. It would be similiar to if MT A. wanted to have an Education program again, they wouldn't get it because STU, UNB, and UdM all have one in the province and it would be redundant.

STU has to build off their existing platform of arts, which is very broad when it comes right down to it. For example, in today's paper STU announced that it will be adding Communications and Public Policy and it will be know as the Frank McKenna Centre for Communications and Public Policy.

Still harping about the women, eh? If I didn't think that I would get suspended from the boards I would totally lay into your Squirrel......thought process. Let's see what you have to say because it may be worth it for me.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:26 PM
RED ARMY EAST

New rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Moving forward, the new Grant Harvey Center will serve as a key component in recruiting, for the men's and women's programs.
Now you can bring in a recruit and show him a brand new facility, with weight training facilities. In the past, I can't imagine a coach looking forward to taking a player into the old LBR and trying to persuade him to come to the Tommie's. Yes, the programs that the school has to offer a player are the most important issue, but the facility will persuade good players to come to the Tommie's.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:32 AM
STUTOMMIES

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...ure-smu-player

SMU head coach Trevor Stien*burg praised his St. Thomas counterpart, Troy Ryan, for tak*ing action on Leduc.

“It’s a breath of fresh air to have a coach in this league to take a stand like he did," Stien*burg said Tuesday. “Troy stood behind his principles and it speaks clearly of what kind of coach, and person, he is."

I think Stieny has summed up what people close to our hockey team aleady know.

Is this going to hurt the Tommies? Probably because we don't have the bodies to replace him but hopefully someone at the University is paying attention, realize Troy did the right thing, and will assist in finding a replacement or three at Christmas.....maybe?

Old
11-01-2012, 07:32 AM
cookiecutter

Sorry, folks, I thought we were a university with a hockey program, as opposed to a hockey team with a university. It can't be an easy sell recruiting a player to a last place team, with limited national exposure, with a limited faculty by saying look at the nice dressing room you have. That's thinking from only one side of the table. Something has to be grown in the formula. We are living in the same town as a university which has all of the same, only with gravey. I am not a squirrell. As a matter of fact, I won't attend any of their games, I am a hockey fan. What do I hear on this board.....recruit bruisers...we need to climb on top again...the bulk of the top players are coming from off shore NB and there are junior teams in every village. Ask yourself, why would a junior player leave the land of plenty in Ont to come to NB. Once you answer that question you may begin to become enlightened.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Rob

Justin Collier with 46 saves tonight in a losing effort. Very impressive for a backup who rarely sees action.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
STUTOMMIES

STU Women's Hockey to Support Hailey's Dreams

The STU women’s hockey team will be blending slap shots and charity at their game against St. FX this Friday at the Grant Harvey Centre. Puck drops at 7 pm.

The team is raising money for Fredericton’s Hailey Fitzgerald. The seven-year-old was recently diagnosed with juvenile metachromatic leukodystrophy, an extremely rare genetic condition that affects the white matter of the brain. MLD is fatal and has no treatment.

Hailey’s condition will gradually worsen, leading to paralysis, blindness, seizures and dementia. She is expected to live with MLD for three to five years.

The fundraising group “Hailey’s Dreams” was created so the rest of Hailey’s life could be filled with happy memories. Funds raised will help her participate in activities she loves while she still can. The rest of the money will help cover the medical care she will need in the declining years of her life.

“It is very important to us that our players have a strong sense of community, and when we heard about Hailey, we just felt we had to do our part,” said head coach Peter Murphy. “Our hopes for the evening are that we have a large crowd that can bring excitement to the building, raise some funds for the cause, but most of all, provide an evening of fun for Hailey and her family.”

At Friday’s game, proceeds from the 50/50 will go towards Hailey’s Dreams. There will also be a charity bake sale, and other donations will be collected at the rink.

Hailey and her brother will be on the ice for the ceremonial puck drop.

Advance tickets to the game can be purchased by contacting Lise Blackmore at lbblackmore12@hotmail.ca or Peter Murphy at pmurphy@stu.ca. All proceeds from advanced sale tickets will go to the family as well.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:30 PM
STUTOMMIES

GO tell it on the mountain tops, STU WINS STU WINS....in Moncton of all places. IT was 4 to 1 and Jon Groenheyde was amazing in the Tommies net. Take a win where ever and when ever you can. Probably keeps us from being #35 next week in the OHT35.

We didn't lose, we didn't lose!!! Ha Ha, can you tell I'm happy?

Old
11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
rantfather

Break up the tommies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
GO tell it on the mountain tops, STU WINS STU WINS....in Moncton of all places. IT was 4 to 1 and Jon Groenheyde was amazing in the Tommies net. Take a win where ever and when ever you can. Probably keeps us from being #35 next week in the OHT35.

We didn't lose, we didn't lose!!! Ha Ha, can you tell I'm happy?
It is pretty.clear that.winning aspects of this team have been put in place by Coach Ryan et al and the eventual .addition of some more snipers will have this team winning their share of games regularly.

Kudo's to ALL,they are a better team than their record shows

RANTFATHER.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:38 PM
timbitca

'Grats guys. Great win for STU. We were much better in the 1st period but just couldn't buy a goal, but the Tommies were the better team in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:16 AM
AUS Fan

Order the Rings, plan the parade.........

Old
11-24-2012, 12:24 AM
SnipeShow91

14 skaters too which is unheard of but more ice time, your more into the game and less want to mess up your assignment so you play tighter with the goalie playing lights out. Good to see Rantfather back...

Old
11-24-2012, 05:36 AM
cishockeyfan

Congrats STU! Great team win, road win and impressive with the short bench but mostly 4 D

Let this be a boost of confidence the players needed to know they are better than their record

Old
11-24-2012, 08:47 AM
gleanerguy

Good win. They had been getting better week by week as they played tighter within their system. They have to work hard and they have to get outstanding goaltending, both of which obviously happened against a good Moncton team. As the talent upgrades, the record will improve.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Rob

With only 14 skaters too.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Les Aigles will be pressured to beat UNB tonight after the loss to the Tommie's.
I'm sure that STU will be better after getting that monkey off their back!
Hopefully, they will have more bodies on hand for a very good, slick PEI team, that has impressed despite the loss of talent in guys like Carter and Gomes.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Les Aigles will be pressured to beat UNB tonight after the loss to the Tommie's.
I'm sure that STU will be better after getting that monkey off their back!
Hopefully, they will have more bodies on hand for a very good, slick PEI team, that has impressed despite the loss of talent in guys like Carter and Gomes.
No more bodies to be had. MacDonald and Thomas were in a bad car accident on Wednesday (I think) they got T-Boned at the intersection of Prospect and Regent, so I heard. Nothing fatal but they both got banged up pretty bad. Morin is out for a bit, Cameron is recovering from surgery, and I think Leduc is out for a bit as well.

Play with what you got and make the best of the situation.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:08 AM
rantfather

Making the best of the situation is certainly a character building event.

The remaining Tommies are to be applauded for their gutsy dedication,valuable life lessons can be learned by everybody.

Hoping that all will have speedy recoveries and that the car accident injuries were not worse.

GO TOMMIES GO

RANTFTHER

Closed Thread