HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
if you dont watch the Bisons now, why would you just 'cause the Jets are 'sponsoring"? I think the CIS wants 250K or perhaps more. The UNB/UdeM people can chime in.....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:23 PM
SnipeShow91

Ryerson at RMC (Nov 16th) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVV5UsEQXrg

RMC at Toronto (Nov 17th) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvG-r...ature=youtu.be

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
if you dont watch the Bisons now, why would you just 'cause the Jets are 'sponsoring"? I think the CIS wants 250K or perhaps more. The UNB/UdeM people can chime in.....
The host guarantee model is different now. It use to be straight cash (something like $150-200K the first year and $100-150K in the second), it's now a lower cash value and a cut of sponsorship. So, instead of having a defined target in the guarantee - the CIS will get more in the end (at the expense of the host) by taking a cut of all advertising.

This is certainly not an incentive to want to host, knowing you have to give up 10-15% of ad revenue (or more).

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
The host guarantee model is different now. It use to be straight cash (something like $150-200K the first year and $100-150K in the second), it's now a lower cash value and a cut of sponsorship. So, instead of having a defined target in the guarantee - the CIS will get more in the end (at the expense of the host) by taking a cut of all advertising.

This is certainly not an incentive to want to host, knowing you have to give up 10-15% of ad revenue (or more).
I don't ever expect to see the tourney in Moncton again.
As every year goes by we become more Wildtown. As much as I enjoyed the 07 and 08 U Cup it pales in the excitement to the 06 and 2010 generated by the Wildcats.
For les Aigles to successfuly host again they better have one hell of a team

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I don't ever expect to see the tourney in Moncton again.
As every year goes by we become more Wildtown. As much as I enjoyed the 07 and 08 U Cup it pales in the excitement to the 06 and 2010 generated by the Wildcats.
For les Aigles to successfuly host again they better have one hell of a team
No doubt that the Wildcats are king but I think Les Aigles still have a strong enough following to make the tournament a success again. Especially with their connection to the Acadian community. I still remember all the Acadian flags during the 07 final.

Has their attendance dropped off any over the past few years?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:07 PM
SnipeShow91

QMI Agency online video article about Martin Raymond, assistant coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning and former McGill Redmen head coach, helping out RMC over the past few days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jESD...ature=youtu.be

Old
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
How big is their rink?

Some people have mentioned McGill which may seem like a natural choice but the have a tiny rink and would have to play off campus. Since the Bell Centre is out of the question what other options would they have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
http://www.qmjhlarenaguide.com/troisrivieres.htm

Suitable arena, but from what I have heard, fans in the city are more drawn to the LNAH than CIS. Perhaps someone (Dutch for example) could clarify.
I guess the arena would fit, it can host about 3000 people. However, half of the seats are obstructed by those columns.

There will be a new 5000 seats in Trois-Rivières in 2015-16, but I highly doubt the Patriotes will play there, as it's huge for CIS hockey and is on the opposite part of town.

When it comes to drawing crowds, the Trois-Rivières fans seems to be into... nothing. LNAH game draw an average 800 people, while CIS games an average 350. Collegiate hockey (the Quebec kind), gets 200 people and midget AAA about 350 too. There's a ton of hockey to see in the region, plus many Trifluvians have made it an habit to drive the 30 minutes that separates Trois-Rivières from Shawinigan to see the Cataractes.

Also, senior hockey is very popular, with crowds that range between 350 and 800 for many cities located around Trois-Rivières.

In the end, I think the Patriotes aren't popular enough to host the championship. Back in the days, they'd get 1500-2000 people at their games, which made it possible to host the tournament.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:41 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I guess the arena would fit, it can host about 3000 people. However, half of the seats are obstructed by those columns.

There will be a new 5000 seats in Trois-Rivières in 2015-16, but I highly doubt the Patriotes will play there, as it's huge for CIS hockey and is on the opposite part of town.

When it comes to drawing crowds, the Trois-Rivières fans seems to be into... nothing. LNAH game draw an average 800 people, while CIS games an average 350. Collegiate hockey (the Quebec kind), gets 200 people and midget AAA about 350 too. There's a ton of hockey to see in the region, plus many Trifluvians have made it an habit to drive the 30 minutes that separates Trois-Rivières from Shawinigan to see the Cataractes.

Also, senior hockey is very popular, with crowds that range between 350 and 800 for many cities located around Trois-Rivières.

In the end, I think the Patriotes aren't popular enough to host the championship. Back in the days, they'd get 1500-2000 people at their games, which made it possible to host the tournament.

Wow.....According to your attendance numbers No Hockey team in Trois Rivieres even draws 1000 people but the city is building a new 5000 Seat Rink???

In Fredericton, we have the experience of two AHL Franchises a very successful CIS Franchise, Their is a QMJHL League all around us in Atlantic Canada that have done very well over the years, even despite Halifax and Moncton Ugly AHL Attendance History, yet Fredericton just saw its last ever City Rink built this year the home of St Thomas University with a seating Capacity of 1500 People. Even tiny Bathurst and Campbellton have a nicer City Civic Rink than we do (as far as a 3000+ rinks go). Summerside PEI has a 5000 Seat Rink and what is their population 13,000?? We have a city population of 85,000 and 100,000 just outside of our limits Including Oromocto

Can we borrow Moncton and Halifax's 7,000 and 10,000 seat Rinks when they build their 12,000 to 16,000 seat rinks?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:51 PM
cishockeyfan

Food for thought I love UNB and CIS Hockey but its driven me crazy for years while some of the Media in Fredericton have always said the QMJHL would never work in Fredericton. That statement should say the QMJHL wont work sharing a rink with UNB, but in the never to happen times of Fredericton having a 4000 to 6000 seat arena built I feel it would.

CIS is great Hockey, but its not for everyone, I have friends and family that live and breath hockey and they never go to UNB games or have never gone, but these are all people that used to attend AHL games or travel to Moncton or SJ to see another cities team play. You build your own identity team name, pride, jersey sales, and the whole family comes out. Take UNB's avg attendance of the past few years of 2500, and slap it in the 2010-11 QMJHL Attendance below, we are better off than many teams in that league now

Quebec
Halifax
Moncton
Saint John, NB
Rimouski
Chicoutimi
Shawinigan
Cape Breton
Montreal
Drummondville
Gatineau
Victoriaville
Lewiston
Val-d’Or
Acadie-Bathurst
Baie-Comeau
R-Noranda
P.E.I.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:53 PM
cishockeyfan

If you Build it, they will come (whisper voice)

okay im done back to CIS Regular Season

Old
11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Wow.....According to your attendance numbers No Hockey team in Trois Rivieres even draws 1000 people but the city is building a new 5000 Seat Rink???
The old barn in Trois-Rivières is very old (1938) and it's pretty much a pain in the ass to watch a game there with the steel supports. The new building is needed, as the city wants to attract shows and sports events.

The LNAH team used to draw over 2000, but its popularity has really fallen in the previous two years for a couple of reasons.

Will the new building draw more fans ? Maybe. But the problem with Trois-Rivières is that they can't have a QMJHL team, as it's in the 40 km veto zone of Shawinigan. There was rumors of an AHL team, but I highly doubt that, unless the Nordiques ever come back. That way, their could be an AHL rivalry between upcoming Laval and Trois-Rivières.

As for Fredericton, no doubt the Q would work there, and I can understand UNB not wanting a team anywhere near Aitken Center.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Would a Q team in Freddy maintain a 2500 average over 34 regular season games though...at 15 dollars a pop?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:28 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post

Highlights of Laurier vs. Lakehead from Saturday night. Both teams were down quite a few players, Laurier missing 2/3 of their top line (and 2 highest PPG scorers) in Tyler Stothers and Mitch Good, as well as former OHL'ers Mike Mascioli (F) who has yet to play this regular season and Dylan MacDonald (D). Lakehead was missing likely their most dangerous offensive player in Matt Caria, as well as 2 top blueliners in Mitch Fillman and Jay Gilbert.

After a 1-5-1 start, Laurier played well this past weekend, grabbing 3 of 4 points against Nationally ranked Western and Lakehead, and has now picked up 9 of a possible 10 points in their past 5 games to put them at .500 for the first time since the 2010-2011 season.
How come Laurier can put together a nice looking highlight package like that, but they cant webcast games? Any idea why they stopped showing their games online? I dont believe that they had them last season either, but they definitely did in the past.

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:57 PM
lakeheadu

Lakehead defeated Windsor 4-2 tonight. We got out to a 3-0 lead early in the 2nd and then took a penalty and lost all the momentum. The shots were 16-10 Lakehead at one point, yet ended up 43-21 Windsor. Windsor got a PPG and we were in our own end the rest of the way. Not impressed with how we played after we got up 3-0, but we played quite well up to that point. The line of Caria/Hammond/Judson was dominant when we decided to play offense. Hopefully we play a more complete game tomorrow night, cause we cant win playing like we did the second half of tonight's game.

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:22 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
Lakehead defeated Windsor 4-2 tonight. We got out to a 3-0 lead early in the 2nd and then took a penalty and lost all the momentum. The shots were 16-10 Lakehead at one point, yet ended up 43-21 Windsor. Windsor got a PPG and we were in our own end the rest of the way. Not impressed with how we played after we got up 3-0, but we played quite well up to that point. The line of Caria/Hammond/Judson was dominant when we decided to play offense. Hopefully we play a more complete game tomorrow night, cause we cant win playing like we did the second half of tonight's game.

As bad as lakehead played in the second and third, that windsor team is no joke. They are the fastest skating and puck moving team I have seen at the gardens this year. They are also a very hard working team with a great goalie. LU needs to come out extra motivated on saturday night if they want 4 pts this weekend! looking forward to a great game tomorrow night! great crowd again too! north of 3000!

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:19 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Would a Q team in Freddy maintain a 2500 average over 34 regular season games though...at 15 dollars a pop?
Yes they would if they were half decent.....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:02 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Article on Kris Versteeg and his part-time coaching role with Lethbridge...

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...950/story.html

Old
11-26-2012, 04:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Article about SSN losing the broadcasting rights to a number of CIS National Championships to American firm Stretch Internet...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...y-cis-athletes

Old
11-26-2012, 10:18 PM
SnipeShow91

You will see a lot of schools switching servers if the American company dosent provide a webcast feed. It's not hard to set up a channel on ustream like I did with RMC hockey and UQTR puts all their sports there as well. Don't most schools in the AUS have their games on Bell Aliant now anyways? Or just the New Brunswick teams?

Old
11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
SnipeShow91

RMC At Carleton (Nov 23rd) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTwDuGcPS2k

RMC At Ottawa (Nov 24th) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_Ih...feature=relmfu

Old
11-30-2012, 02:21 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Some CIS related articles today:

One on Manitoba's Blair MacAuley - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...181497201.html

One on Windsor's Spencer Pommells, who is currently leading the CIS in scoring - http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/11...scoring-chart/

Old
11-30-2012, 07:54 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Acadia over UPEI 4-1
UNB over Dalhousie 5-2
SMU over STU 3-2 in SO
St. FX over Moncton 4-3 in OT

Old
12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
clear the track

Great Game

Great game by RMC against UQTR. They lost in a SO which is a lousy way to lose but never the less the way the game is played. A few posters in the past have hinted that the CIS would be better without RMC saying they are not much better than a poor Tier II Jr A team. When they last played us (and they played us very well in a 2 0 game) I was looking at their roster and was surprised at the number of players enrolled in engineering, aeronautical, civil etc. (no introduction to elementary basket weaving here) To play a interuniversity sport and deal with the rigors of such demanding studies says alot about the student athlete at RMC. Not to mention they are part of the future of our Canadian Armed Forces. Congratulations.

Snipe show. I was a little disappointed in the webcast. Found it very grainy and hard to watch.

Last edited by clear the track: 12-01-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling errors
clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:50 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Great game by RMC against UQTR. They lost in a SO which is a lousy way to lose but never the less the way the game is played. A few posters in the past have hinted that the CIS would be better without RMC saying they are not much better than a poor Tier II Jr A team. When they last played us (and they played us very well in a 2 0 game) I was looking at their roster and was surprised at the number of players enrolled in engineering, aeronautical, civil etc. (no introduction to elementary basket weaving here) To play a interuniversity sport and deal with the rigors of such demanding studies says alot about the student athlete at RMC. Not to mention they are part of the future of our Canadian Armed Forces. Congratulations.

Snipe show. I was a little disappointed in the webcast. Found it very grainy and hard to watch.
We are still working on the quality. It was better last night against McGill and we changed camera people and this guy was a lot better. It was a brutal way to lose to UQTR, felt we deserved to win cause we essentially used 3 lines (had 11 forwards, but 2 barely see the ice) and missing our most skilled guys in Smerek and Louis-Seize and Dorsey was a brick wall and we worked hard all night. First half is done and we are only 4 points back of 8th WITH the tiebreaker on Concordia if we end up tying them for 8th. Still in the battle.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Apparently the World Junior team will be playing two exhibition games against CIS "all-stars" again...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/01...m-will-be-deep