HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 03:49 AM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I don't recall Roberston getting injured against X. It could be just a case of MacNeil coming back and UNB not wanting to take any of the other forwards out...maybe they thought they could get away with 5 defencemen. Although if that was the case there are other guys I would have sat before Robertson.
I dont think they would healthy scratch Robertson on D with their Defense somewhat struggling compared to normal as he is a great overall defenseman

Old
11-05-2012, 03:58 AM
cishockeyfan

Despite the Obvious Assault from Mr Doyle, cause it was just that and we have seen it before from him in games including wins where the calls still baffled our minds, one thing is clear. This is the first time since 2006-07 when UNB is not clearly the Best team in the CIS. Yes we won a title that year but Until we won that Championchip game Moncton was the obvious favourite

We are still a great team and will be in the thick of things, but we are not the best team right now, I would say Acadia and Moncton are ahead of us in our own conference. Ironically through 2004-2006 for two seasons when the Canada West hosted the University Cup UNB was a good team as well but not as good as Eventual Conference Champions Acadia and Moncton. It looks like the same thing this year University Cup back out West, Acadia and Moncton look very strong and Alberta and saskatchewan look to be strong

Old
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
gleanerguy

Being the best right now is not important, but I'm glad to see someone close to the program actually acknowledge this. V-Reds are in the conversation among the top teams, but it's a wide-ranging conversation. They have problems -- fixable problems, but problems: Fullerton has given up early goals, forcing the team to play from behind. Defensively, they're suceptible to a hard forechecking team (I know, isn't everybody?). I've seen flashes where they can be a brick wall, but even against X Friday night, when they were building 3-0 lead in the first eight minutes and outshooting them 10-0, X had long stretches in the zone.
What I've found though, and perhaps it comes from all the success, is a reluctance to acknowledge some of the cavities: Among the fan base, UNB never loses because of UNB: it's the ref's fault (although from all the reviews of Thayer Doyle's performance Saturday, I'll grant you that one). Or there was a bad break. Or something.
One thing that keeps recurring with this team is discipline: maybe Doyle made some shaky calls Saturday (I wasn't there), but the fact is, they were called for five second period penalties against X (MacDougall at 19:59 of the first and four others). They killed them off, but five in a row on home ice...if X has any semblance of a power play going, it turns into a 3-2 or a 3-3 game in the second period and, if the third period plays out as it did, they lose that one too.
Discipline is fixable. They need another D (or two). Fullerton seems to lack focus early, but, based on his track record in pressure situations, you have to figure he'll be there when it matters. And there's lots of hockey to play between now and March. But no. They're not the invincible Big Red Machine this year.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
FreddtFoyle

No question UNB needs to be more disciplined and take fewer penalties, especially the retaliation and frustration kind. Normally reliable Houde-Caron took two dumb penalties Saturday for example. There's been too many of those selfish penalties by the V-Reds.

However, when power forward Swan is pushed into the SMU goalie by a Huskies defenceman, and then it is Swan who gets the goaltender interference penalty ... well stuff like that makes it harder for coaches to address "discipline issues." Especially when a SMU player is allowed to interfere with Fullerton in the crease, while UNB is shorthanded 5-on-3 in the third period, and there's no call.

Saturday was Thayer Doyle at his most in-understandable.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Reds Fan

Robertson was injured in Friday night's game. He went to the dressing room and when he came back out he sat on the bench but did not play again.

As a long time Reds fan I am insulted by someone saying UNB fans think UNB never loses because of UNB. Sure I love going to watch UNB win but that is not always the way it is going to be. I remember going to a games years ago on Friday and Saturday nights and the team that showed up Friday was not the same team that showed up Saturday. So I know they can and we will lose some games. Sometimes they don't always play their best game or sometimes they just simply get out played but that was not the case Saturday night. That said they do have to STOP taking questionable penalties and be more disciplined! Saturday night the fans were frustrated by some of the calls or most of the calls. Defence has also been a concern this year but as fans we stand behind our team!

Old
11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
gleanerguy

Again, I'm not dwelling or isolating strictly on Saturday's game. OK, they got hosed by a bad official in that instance. But the only loss this season in which there hasn't been a "yeah, but..." has been the loss to Boston College. Otherwise, it's a hot goalie or a ref's call or a bad break or...something.
Just saying that right now, there are several teams, both in the Conference and in the country, that are on par with UNB, where they have to play well to win. It's not a bad thing for a fan...beats going to the rink every night (or staying away) because you know they're going to win 6-2.

Old
11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Again, I'm not dwelling or isolating strictly on Saturday's game. OK, they got hosed by a bad official in that instance. But the only loss this season in which there hasn't been a "yeah, but..." has been the loss to Boston College. Otherwise, it's a hot goalie or a ref's call or a bad break or...something.
Just saying that right now, there are several teams, both in the Conference and in the country, that are on par with UNB, where they have to play well to win. It's not a bad thing for a fan...beats going to the rink every night (or staying away) because you know they're going to win 6-2.
There was a "yeah but......." after the loss to Moncton? I thought everyone was on the same page that Moncton outplayed them.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
There was a "yeah but......." after the loss to Moncton? I thought everyone was on the same page that Moncton outplayed them.
Nope, there was "yeah buts" on that one too. In fairness, you were probably the exception.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:11 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

They've been outplayed by Moncton twice this year and Acadia...no "yeah buts" for any of those games. You can say their power play stunk (against Moncton) or their penalty killing/lack of discipline cost them (against Acadia) or they had an off-night...but those things happen and a lot of it is a credit to the opposition. I don't think many would say they should have won, or deserved to win, either of those games. It wasn't like there was one questionable play or goal completely that swung the game that we can all point to. They lost those games fair and square.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:48 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

They lost 8 players, and most were two time CIS champions. That's tough to replace, much like McGill with all there departures. In respect to the program, some of you guys seem to think that they should be dominating the opposition game in and game out, when that doesn't happen, it's push the panic button. There is as much talent on that team as any in the country. They need to address some needs, discipline, and in particular on the back end. They have some very skilled rookies and a couple well known 5th year transfers, who are still adjusting to the systems. "Relax and cheer up". geez...........!

Old
11-07-2012, 04:46 AM
cishockeyfan

My Point and Gleaner Guy's Point was simply They are one of the best teams in the CIS this season just not the Runaway Best. No Panic about it, No Relaxing needed, No Cheering up needed Im already happy. Its simply hockey and the way it is.

And in a way its nice, cause with it comes an appreciation to win hockey games to cheer on the one goal wins, instead of being disappointed they didn't blow a team out. I actually used to get disappointed when they didn't win in a blowout, maybe they're record was 26-1-1 but if they only beat so and so 4-3 I considered it a disappointment, I started to get spoiled as a UNB Fan. a few loses here and there snaps me back into shape

Old
11-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Prov1X

Adversity builds character, found the officiating terrible at both games this past weekend. There was a checking from behind (or boarding) missed in the game friday night and the blown call on what should have been UNB's 5th goal in the third period (when it was 4-1).
At the same time, this team needs to starting putting it all together, there are times that they look just as good or better than last year, but two minutes later they look confused and out of sorts.
Lots of new names and faces, I do however suspect coach Mac will have it all sorted out before the start of the second half of the season.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Rob

Overall the Vreds had a discplined game against the Panthers last night. However, they once again managed to be down two men. In almost every game this season they have been down 5-3 at least once. It is getting at the point when UNB gets a penalty I'm not worried about the opponent scoring. I'm worried about them taking another penalty. Like I'm just waiting for the refs arm to go up again.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

They have been forced to kill a 5-on-3 in every single regular season game this year...and both games at Nationals last year. A team as skilled as UNB shouldn't need to take that many penalties.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
They have been forced to kill a 5-on-3 in every single regular season game this year...and both games at Nationals last year. A team as skilled as UNB shouldn't need to take that many penalties.
And there can't be THAT many bad referees.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:34 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
And there can't be THAT many bad referees.

No Question asides from the One Game Epic Referee Debate with Doyle, UNB has been at full fault for Penalty Issues, which is rare for them in recent years as we have always been fairly disciplined

But yea no excuses on being down 5 on 3 at least once each game, we are taking some dumb penalties

Old
11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Can't wait to see what you guys are made of this season tomorrow night!

11-23-2012, 05:45 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Lavigne backing up LaCosta tonight with Fullerton out sick.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:44 PM
RED ARMY EAST

He is red shirting?

Old
11-23-2012, 08:25 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Since he transferred to UNB to go to grad school he didn't have to sit out this season, there was just no need to play him and burn a year of eligibility when they have Fullerton/LaCosta. But now, just by being a back-up tonight, Lavigne will be docked a year of eligibility. So instead of being in his 4th year next year it will be his 5th. Since he was only intending on being here for one year it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:37 PM
timbitca

I don't think so. If he doesn't get any actual playing time in, Lavigne won't get docked a year of eligibility just for sitting on the bench. We went through this with Andre Guay... 5 years ago or so, while he was still playing junior. We had to dress him for a game or two when either Marion or Lachance were hurt, can't remember which. But then he unfortunately had to get in a game for I think it was 13 seconds when our goalie had an equipment problem and the referee had him go to the bench to get it fixed, that docked him a year. We lobbied the CIS to have it reversed, but they wouldn't. Stupid.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Rob

Any word on Chad Denny?

Old
11-24-2012, 07:16 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Any word on Chad Denny?
"Upper body injury".

Old
11-24-2012, 07:42 AM
gleanerguy

Spoke to the eligibility co-ordinator at UNB just before the warmup. If his name appears on the game sheet in a regular season game, it's a year of eligibility. Apparently, in a sport which has exhibition games, you're allowed to play two exhibitions without any penalty. If the sport has no exhibition season, you're allowed one regular season game.
But it's hers, and Charles' understanding that dressing last night cost him a year of eligibility.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:27 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Spoke to the eligibility co-ordinator at UNB just before the warmup. If his name appears on the game sheet in a regular season game, it's a year of eligibility. Apparently, in a sport which has exhibition games, you're allowed to play two exhibitions without any penalty. If the sport has no exhibition season, you're allowed one regular season game.
But it's hers, and Charles' understanding that dressing last night cost him a year of eligibility.
He must have only been coming back for 1 year? I can't imagine Gardiner wasting away an entire year, by inserting him as backup for 1 game.
What's going on with Taylor M missing another game?

Closed Thread