HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Bold prediction based on two viewings of Curtis Lazar and otherwise based solely on stats.

By the end of the season he isn't a first round draft pick. Book it.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Bold prediction based on two viewings of Curtis Lazar and otherwise based solely on stats.

That would be a major break for the Oilers, the kid is legit.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:05 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:

I would almost have to agree with this. Again, limited viewings from me as well. But I expected so much more from him based on his rankings and the apparent "strength" of this draft.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That would be a major break for the Oilers, the kid is legit.
All I ever hear about him is that despite not putting up points he does all the little things well. Little things are nice. Big things are what is great.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:

Sorry go to disagree I have watched every game of his and he does so much right and little wrong one team will take him in the draft

Old
11-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Could have had 2 tonight. Seems to be snake bitten judging from that huge grin on his face when he was stopped on his break away. As if he was thinking what do I have to do? Haha

Old
11-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Could have had 2 tonight. Seems to be snake bitten judging from that huge grin on his face when he was stopped on his break away. As if he was thinking what do I have to do? Haha
Snake bitten can only take a player so far. He just isn't putting up numbers right now to warrant a first round pick in my mind let alone a top 10 pick. The season is over 1/4 done, how long before snake bitten becomes a legitimate concern at a lack of offensive potential?

Old
11-24-2012, 12:13 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Snake bitten can only take a player so far. He just isn't putting up numbers right now to warrant a first round pick in my mind let alone a top 10 pick. The season is over 1/4 done, how long before snake bitten becomes a legitimate concern at a lack of offensive potential?
Not very long apparently.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not very long apparently.
I'm just concerned he is going to finish the season with 50 points in 70 games and the Oilers end up picking him higher than they should. Happened with Moroz already. I don't know if I want it to happen with a 1st round pick also.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:44 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I'm just concerned he is going to finish the season with 50 points in 70 games and the Oilers end up picking him higher than they should. Happened with Moroz already. I don't know if I want it to happen with a 1st round pick also.
I wouldnt be concerned if the Oilers picked him, I would be elated.

This is a kid who led the Oil Kings in scoring in the playoffs as a sixteen year old. The skills are there. He has a well rounded game and brings many tools to the table. Just what you want in a second line center.

Right now I think his struggles come down to a couple of things, being snake bit and he is not being utilized to his strengths imo. They have him in front of the net, tight, providing a screen on the pp, when he should be up high in the slot where he can utilize his shot.

That has pretty much been taken away from him on the pp as he is too tight to get it off.

He will break out of his slump and the Oil Kings should go deep into the playoffs, which is likely to help his draft position over some kids who will be out in the first round or may miss the post season entirely.

Lazar has a much more varied and higher level skill set than Moroz. They are nothing alike.

NHL scouts arent dumb enough to let him fall into the second round.

Book it.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
i would be absolutely elated if Lazar fell out of the first and the Oilers drafted him.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:25 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I've only watched him a few times, but he definitely didn't look like 1st round material in those games

Old
11-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

If we retain both of our 2nd rounders and he falls that far I couldn't imagine us passing on him in the 2nd based on what I've heard of him.

11-24-2012, 02:52 AM
40oz

No way in hell Lazar drops to the second, scouts see how he plays night in and night out.
Every team wants what he brings.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:16 AM
smokersarejokers

Lazar is a beauty. I would be so happy if the Oilers nabbed him.

That said, come playoff time, I think his stock will shoot through the roof.

Also, I've tried to watch a few Mooseheads games, and Jonathan Drouin is totally worthy of the recent hype. He's a bit like Eberle. So skilled and so smart.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
40oz

Interesting news from the Oil Kings twitter, with Ewanyk still being out Musil will be wearing the 'A'.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:19 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Interesting news from the Oil Kings twitter, with Ewanyk still being out Musil will be wearing the 'A'.
He was wearing one yesterday already.

Musil makes safe plays but don't know if I like his clunky skating and he sort of has weird balance on his skates, he is great at holding the line and making short, safe plays but hopefully he doesn't get turned inside out at the next level, seems to have a good sense of spacing and positioning though a lot like Smid so we'll see. Definitely not as good of a skater or as physical, bottom pairing guy probably if he makes it but a dependable one hopefully.

Last edited by puckfan13: 11-24-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Watch the games! God... what is with some people. If you wanted to draft players solely based on stats there would be a lot of midgets from the Quebec league playing in the AHL right now....

He has an entire package of skills.. Brandon Sutter scored 2 (!) goals the entire second half of his draft year. Are you saying you wouldn't take him in the first round of a 2007 re-draft? Zach Hamill got 93 pts in his draft year in the same draft and same junior league and was drafted 3 spots higher than Sutter.. Who turned out better? You probably would have picked Hamill.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:38 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
If Lazar somehow drops out of the top 10 he'll be the steal of the 2013 draft.

I'll be ecstatic if the Oilers pick him up.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Lowe just scored with one second left in OT to give the Oil Kings their first OT victory of the season.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Lowe just scored with one second left in OT to give the Oil Kings their first OT victory of the season.
How did Jarry look in net tonight?

Old
11-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Unfortunately, I missed tonight's game. Just relaying info from the Oil Kings' Twitter feed. I'm assuming that he was good. He only yielded one goal.

The Oil Kings are back to playing extremely stingy defense and that's nice to see. The goals aren't coming as easy this year but clamping down on D might serve them better.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

They out shot MH bad tonight but still gave up 5 or 6 PP's, MH scored the tying goal on a PP with Moroz in the box :/

How good was the MH goalie tonight I wonder? Stopped something like 45 or 46 shots?

Old
11-25-2012, 01:50 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Excellent. Very solid.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:58 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They out shot MH bad tonight but still gave up 5 or 6 PP's, MH scored the tying goal on a PP with Moroz in the box :/

How good was the MH goalie tonight I wonder? Stopped something like 45 or 46 shots?
Moroz took a stupid penalty, no doubt, but he had a pretty good game, getting some good offensive chances, scoring a goal that was disallowed (quick whistle, should have been a goal) and was trucking Tigers all night. He was a force. His linemates were Benson and Kulda I believe, and Moroz was the driving force on that line for sure. Samuelsson and Lowe took bad penalties as well. What else is new?

They all need to play with more discipline. Fantastic finish tonight. Great goal by Lowe in OT with one second left. The Tigers goalie was decent, but didnt really have to stand on his head or anything. A lot of goal posts/crossbars, and a disallowed goal that should have counted if not for a quick whistle. Oil Kings let them hang around and it almost cost them.

Got chased out of our seats again by undisciplined kids and stupid, lazy parents. Will be looking to swap seats for the rest of the year come Monday, if they arent able to accommodate, we will not be renewing our season tickets.

Closed Thread