HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

**The Official Metal Thread III**

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
This thread is weak. It needs more ballads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
The swords' new album is a real ass kicker! A must for the retro/stoner metal fan.
lolno

Old
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Machinehead
Girardi's Corgi

vCash: 50
Quote:
The swords' new album is a real ass kicker! A must for the retro/stoner metal fan.
I love the Sword!

Old
11-20-2012, 02:52 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

lolno
Ballads are awesome and you know it.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:57 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Actually Bloodbath is a pretty terrible band, so yeah BT destroys them. But what I find hilarious is the contradiction of death metal bands music and what they write their lyrics about. In all the death metal bands I listen to they play such a dark style of music and all their lyrics are either about antiwar or anti-humanity. I totally understand singing about death, murder, darkness, no hope, etc. but anti-war and anti-humanity (or humans are the biggest scum of the earth) is pretty stupid. Leave those segments for the crappy punk-pop, punk, and rap hippie groups.
Which Bloodbath? Or both?

Old
11-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Everlasting

NEW AVANTASIA ALBUM EARLY 2013!

With Uriah Heep drummer Russell Gilbrook. It sounded really good and alot more power metal then the previous ones.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:04 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Which Bloodbath? Or both?
Just Bloodbath.

Also I recently found a solid Progressive Rock band worth checking out.

Illusion & Reality (Pt.1) is probably my favourite track @ 48:53.

Last edited by S E P H: 11-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I this band.

Last edited by Timeless Winter: 11-24-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Epoch

I dig 'em. Not a big fan of Monolith but Shrouded Divine and The Weight of Oceans are great albums.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Ghaal
Hail satan.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Just Bloodbath.
There's more than one band named Bloodbath, so you didn't answer his question.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:

lolno
I'm not sure what your getting at with your Internet lingo, I still communicate in regular English.

Don't like the original old school metal sound? Thats one thing, saying the sword are anything but awesome at their craft is another.

Please refrain from the not metal enough lame excuse, I've been listening to death and obituary my entire life (you know, before it was "hip" to be brutal). That doesn't mean you need to pigeon hole everything else.....

Old
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Took me a while to get to it, but the new Between the Buried & Me album is ****ing awesome.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
There's more than one band named Bloodbath, so you didn't answer his question.
The Eaten one.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Corey Perry*

Bloodbath is not a bad band if you actual listen to some songs other than Eaten. Theyre a bit overrated, but decent.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I'm not sure what your getting at with your Internet lingo, I still communicate in regular English.

Don't like the original old school metal sound? Thats one thing, saying the sword are anything but awesome at their craft is another.

Please refrain from the not metal enough lame excuse, I've been listening to death and obituary my entire life (you know, before it was "hip" to be brutal). That doesn't mean you need to pigeon hole everything else.....
Are you seriously accusing me of not liking the "old school metal sound?" Have you read any of the posts I've made in this thread?

But the Sword is not "old school metal," nor are they masters of any craft. There are countless better stoner bands than them, and especially better than their last two releases. They're a pretty average band.

lol @ name dropping Death and Obituary.

Quote:
Bloodbath is not a bad band if you actual listen to some songs other than Eaten. Theyre a bit overrated, but decent.
The Breeding Death EP is awesome. Unblessing the Purity was enjoyable as well. Their full lengths are pretty mediocre, though. It was a fun side project that grew into too much.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:

Are you seriously accusing me of not liking the "old school metal sound?" Have you read any of the posts I've made in this thread?

But the Sword is not "old school metal," nor are they masters of any craft. There are countless better stoner bands than them, and especially better than their last two releases. They're a pretty average band.

Speaking of stoner metal, do you have any stoner bands that you recommend?

Quote:
The Breeding Death EP is awesome. Unblessing the Purity was enjoyable as well. Their full lengths are pretty mediocre, though. It was a fun side project that grew into too much.
If they weren't already well known musicians, they definitely wouldn't be nearly as popular. I'd say a pretty good margin of Bloodbath fans are just Opeth fans who will listen to anything Akerfeldt is involved with.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:51 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Meshuggaah/Animals As Leaders/Intronaut touring both Europe and North America. That's one heck of a lineup

Old
11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I this band.
Me too. Their latest is in contention for best of the year for me.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Everlasting

This is so awesome

Syu is probobly my favourite guitarist at the moment. There is no one better (Lets not start a war, okay? )

Last edited by Everlasting: 11-28-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:

Completely disagree with everything you say, I don't know how the hell you can even start to say they aren't classic heavy metal. There main inspiation is the originator themselves, sabbath.

Your personal bias is getting in the way. The new album is getting excellent reviews from far more credible sources than yourself, warp riders was one of the better concept albums to come out in a while. Sure, they don't touch age if winters but that's what makes that album their best.

And the almighty kyuss (parts of anyways)chose to take them on the rd with them when they went on tour, ***** they must be terrible. Do you play an instrument? I really have no idea how you cam listen to their music and call them average if so.

As far as name dropping, it's a metal thread, you use names. I apologize that the bands I grew up on are "big" now, i guess I will refrain from ever talking about them? I've become fond of goatwhore & skeletonwitch if that makes the statement a little easier for you to understand. But you obviously aren't one of those guys who only want brutality so it's irrelevant.

Spends some time promoting what you like instead of tearing what you don't. Metal is getting more diverse by the day,too bad so many waste their time hating instead of digging what they like & keeping a scene strong and growing.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Captain_Cunney

The new release from one of Canada's best metal exports:

Old
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Speaking of stoner metal, do you have any stoner bands that you recommend?
Some of my favorite stoner metal and stoner doom bands:
Church of Misery, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Orange Goblin, War Pigs, Witchcraft, Acid King, Bison BC, Saviours, Black Pyramid, Elder, Witch, Windhand

Quote:
Completely disagree with everything you say, I don't know how the hell you can even start to say they aren't classic heavy metal. There main inspiation is the originator themselves, sabbath.
Just because you're inspired by Sabbath doesn't mean you play classic heavy metal. You can't listen to Saxon, Mercyful Fate, Accept, Angel Witch, or late 70's Scorpions and tell me they play the same sub-genre as the Sword with a straight face.

Quote:
Your personal bias is getting in the way. The new album is getting excellent reviews from far more credible sources than yourself, warp riders was one of the better concept albums to come out in a while. Sure, they don't touch age if winters but that's what makes that album their best.
Like what? Pitchfork? Some other mainstream trash rag? It's lone review on M-A gave it a 39%.

Quote:
And the almighty kyuss (parts of anyways)chose to take them on the rd with them when they went on tour, ***** they must be terrible. Do you play an instrument? I really have no idea how you cam listen to their music and call them average if so.
If by "the almight kyuss" you mean the blatant moneygrab known as "Kyuss lives!" then sure. That whole tour is just a moneygrab to try and get people in the door and lighten their wallets, so of course they're going to build a tour of bands that will draw the kiddies.

I call them average because their songwriting is average. Just because they're good at their instruments (and not even particularly great in the context of metal) doesn't mean their songs are worth a damn. Should I be forced to ********** to Yngwie and Spastic Ink, too?

Quote:
As far as name dropping, it's a metal thread, you use names. I apologize that the bands I grew up on are "big" now, i guess I will refrain from ever talking about them? I've become fond of goatwhore & skeletonwitch if that makes the statement a little easier for you to understand. But you obviously aren't one of those guys who only want brutality so it's irrelevant.
My point was that you tried to buy credibility by using the names of bands that everyone knows. If you busted out the Mantas or Xecutioner demo tapes you got by trading with someone you found in the back of an early 90s issue of Slayer mag or MRR, it would be one thing. But you just name dropped two huge bands (and two more just now).

Quote:
Spends some time promoting what you like instead of tearing what you don't. Metal is getting more diverse by the day,too bad so many waste their time hating instead of digging what they like & keeping a scene strong and growing.
It's not as if these are mutually exclusive activities. To promote mediocrity as a golden standard is worse in my mind. And it's not as if I don't "promote what I like" as well.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Meshuggaah/Animals As Leaders/Intronaut touring both Europe and North America. That's one heck of a lineup
**** awesome. Here are two other bands you might like.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I was a huge Death Metal fan, but now I am very particular of which bands I like in the genre. I honestly believe majority of them now are ******** as hell compared to the late 90s, mid 2000s. Though Bloodbath is one band I never liked

Now am I more into extreme groove metal like this,

Old
11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I was a huge Death Metal fan, but now I am very particular of which bands I like in the genre. I honestly believe majority of them now are ******** as hell compared to the late 90s, mid 2000s. Though Bloodbath is one band I never liked
You must be kidding. The last few years have seen an glut of awesome new death metal bands. Cruciamentum, Tribulation, Disma, Witchrist, Miasmal, Zom, Maim, Morbus Chron, Stench of Decay, Necros Christos, Father Befouled, Teitanblood, Impetuous Ritual, Mitochondrion, Stench, Cannabis Corpse, ******* Priest, Undergang, Coffin Dust, Vasaeleth, Encoffination, Ruin Lust, Casket, etc etc etc

Closed Thread