HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
  #276
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If Reinhart becomes a shutdown guy and only cranks out 30-35 pts a year I wont be mad.
In that case I highly doubt you'll be dissapointed. I think he'll be more of a 2-way guy than a pure shutdown, with 40-50 pt seasons. Personally, I favour the poor man's Shea Weber comparo.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:21 AM
  #277
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
In that case I highly doubt you'll be dissapointed. I think he'll be more of a 2-way guy than a pure shutdown, with 40-50 pt seasons. Personally, I favour the poor man's Shea Weber comparo.
With numbers like that(and factoring in his already impressive shutdown capabilities), he could be a Norris candidate.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:21 AM
  #278
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I understand the logic in not rushing him from a mental standpoint and potential confidence issue, but I don't get the offensive worries or filling out at all.

The kid is clearly a man amongst boys in the WHL physically and he's already over 200 pounds. Is him at 208 going to be vastly different than the 202 he is right now?

If you're waiting for his offense to be NHL ready, then you'll be waiting more than a year. He kinda reminds me of Weber in that offensive instincts looked good and appears to have offensive potential that's untapped right now, but an extra year isn't going to allow it to bloom an all of a sudden make him ready.

His offensive game will likely continue to develop over the next 5+ years to the point where we will truly know what he's capable of.

Either way, the kid is going to be quite good IMO. You may not notice him some nights, but he will be very solid.

If he ever gets mean he will be a scary defender.
Reinhart may look like a man amongst boys (he certainly did last night), but he still needs to physically mature to be able to succeed against the men of the NHL. He'll obviously get bigger, but he still needs to work on his skating to add more quickness and burst in his stride. I was pleasantly surprised by his mobility as it was better than I expected, but adding that extra step would make him very difficult to beat at the NHL level.

As for his offense, he certainly has the tools. He's got that big shot and he makes very quick and smart decisions with the puck. He looked good QB'ing the PP when he got the chance, I'm not a fan of the 5 forward 1st unit PP for Edmonton btw. I don't think he's being utilized in an offensive role as he's just so advanced defensively. If he were to spend another year there next year, he'd be getting like 30 minutes/game of ice time and should get opportunities to expand his offensive game at the appropriate level. If he doesn't make the WJC this year, he's got to be a lock next year. He'll never be a huge point guy, but he could develop into a 30-35 pt guy and that would make him a beast considering his shut down ability.

Besides, the Oil Kings have some sick facilities... They may be better than what the Isles have right now. I'd rather he hone his game there than at the NHL level.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:28 AM
  #279
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
With numbers like that, he could be a Norris candidate.
A strong Norris candidate with those numbers. I'm thinking Reinhart compares very favorably to Kenny Jonsson. A bigger and probably a more physical version, but that's the feeling I'm getting. I would be very happy with that result as an Isles fan.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:29 AM
  #280
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Great game by Reinhart, clear-cut best player on the ice from both sides.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:31 AM
  #281
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Great game by Reinhart, clear-cut best player on the ice from both sides.
Impossible with Morgan Reilly on the ice.

Habnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  #282
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Impossible with Morgan Reilly on the ice.
Haha. Both were impressive last night, but Reinhart was a stud. I'd love to see them paired together because their games seem perfectly suited for eachother. Rielly would be able to go to town knowing that big Griff has got his back. Maybe we'll see that at the WJC? Moose Jaw should trade him to the Oil Kings!

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:46 AM
  #283
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
A strong Norris candidate with those numbers. I'm thinking Reinhart compares very favorably to Kenny Jonsson. A bigger and probably a more physical version, but that's the feeling I'm getting. I would be very happy with that result as an Isles fan.
A bit off topic, but that's apparently who Hampus Lindholm considers a mentor. I can think of worse. On topic, that would be great for the Islanders. Jonsson was a rock, and one of the more under-appreciated defensemen in my opinion. Not to take anything away from the Islanders, but it's easy to wonder if he would have garnered more attention on a better team.

Agreed. Those numbers, with his shutdown capabilities, would make him a strong candidate. I think, sometimes, people forget how hard it can be to score 40+ points in the NHL as a defenseman, and among those defensemen, how many of them have legit shutdown abilities? That would be a rare talent.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
  #284
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Reinhart may look like a man amongst boys (he certainly did last night), but he still needs to physically mature to be able to succeed against the men of the NHL. He'll obviously get bigger, but he still needs to work on his skating to add more quickness and burst in his stride. I was pleasantly surprised by his mobility as it was better than I expected, but adding that extra step would make him very difficult to beat at the NHL level.

As for his offense, he certainly has the tools. He's got that big shot and he makes very quick and smart decisions with the puck. He looked good QB'ing the PP when he got the chance, I'm not a fan of the 5 forward 1st unit PP for Edmonton btw. I don't think he's being utilized in an offensive role as he's just so advanced defensively. If he were to spend another year there next year, he'd be getting like 30 minutes/game of ice time and should get opportunities to expand his offensive game at the appropriate level. If he doesn't make the WJC this year, he's got to be a lock next year. He'll never be a huge point guy, but he could develop into a 30-35 pt guy and that would make him a beast considering his shut down ability.

Besides, the Oil Kings have some sick facilities... They may be better than what the Isles have right now. I'd rather he hone his game there than at the NHL level.
Agreed. And as Crew mentioned before, seems as though his minutes with the Isles would be limited, so definitely wouldn't hurt for him to dominate the W next year.

That being said, as far as the rest, I just don't think one year will be a massive difference. If the Isles want to wait for him to improve footspeed, offense, and get stronger, they might as well let him do one more year in Edmonton, 1-2 years in the A, and then go to Long Island.

I think 2-3 years allows for significant improvement, I just don't think he's going to vastly improve footspeed or offense with one extra whl season.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:04 AM
  #285
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
A bit off topic, but that's apparently who Hampus Lindholm considers a mentor. I can think of worse. On topic, that would be great for the Islanders. Jonsson was a rock, and one of the more under-appreciated defensemen in my opinion. Not to take anything away from the Islanders, but it's easy to wonder if he would have garnered more attention on a better team.

Agreed. Those numbers, with his shutdown capabilities, would make him a strong candidate. I think, sometimes, people forget how hard it can be to score 40+ points in the NHL as a defenseman, and among those defensemen, how many of them have legit shutdown abilities? That would be a rare talent.
KJ was definitely underrated during his time and you're right, playing for the circus on LI definitely added to that. Jonsson is highly respected in Sweden so it's no surprise that Lindholm has a connection with him. He's a very good mentor to have for sure.

I forget who exactly said it during the draft (Bobby Mac, McGuire, Button), but I remember them saying that Reinhart could develop into the best player in the draft (or something to that extent). A 40+ point d-man who shuts down everything in his wake would qualify as a legit contender for the title of BPA. I hope they're right, but hyperbole's are thrown around like wildfire so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I do have to say, 'FINALLY!' because it's been a long time since we've had a premium d-man prospect like him in a very long time.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:07 AM
  #286
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
KJ was definitely underrated during his time and you're right, playing for the circus on LI definitely added to that. Jonsson is highly respected in Sweden so it's no surprise that Lindholm has a connection with him. He's a very good mentor to have for sure.

I forget who exactly said it during the draft (Bobby Mac, McGuire, Button), but I remember them saying that Reinhart could develop into the best player in the draft (or something to that extent). A 40+ point d-man who shuts down everything in his wake would qualify as a legit contender for the title of BPA. I hope they're right, but hyperbole's are thrown around like wildfire so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I do have to say, 'FINALLY!' because it's been a long time since we've had a premium d-man prospect like him in a very long time.
Ya, it's always nice to have that elite potential D prospect.

I would have killed to have him stay in Edmonton, but it looks like we found a keeper in Schultz after the draft so not a bad consolation prize at least.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
  #287
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Agreed. And as Crew mentioned before, seems as though his minutes with the Isles would be limited, so definitely wouldn't hurt for him to dominate the W next year.

That being said, as far as the rest, I just don't think one year will be a massive difference. If the Isles want to wait for him to improve footspeed, offense, and get stronger, they might as well let him do one more year in Edmonton, 1-2 years in the A, and then go to Long Island.

I think 2-3 years allows for significant improvement, I just don't think he's going to vastly improve footspeed or offense with one extra whl season.
Reinhart is still just an 18 year old kid (19 in January), let's not forget that. That one extra year could yield big advances in the facets of his game that you mentioned because of just simple 'growing up'. He's obviously ahead of the curve physically right now, but one he starts developing his man strength... things can change in a hurry.

I'm not looking for him to be a PPG guy next year or anything, but having the opportunity to work on things in a low pressure environment (compared to the NHL) would build a foundation for future growth. It's all about reps really and being in an environment conducive to success. The more confident he is before hitting the bigs, the better prepared he is in general.

If he continues to progress, I don't think he'll need much AHL time if any. He'll never be an offensive juggernaut, but that extra year in Edmonton could accelerate that part of his game over his initial seasons in the NHL. I'd rather have that scenario than him losing confidence initially in the NHL and thus retarding his development in that end of the ice. That's just my take on things.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:26 AM
  #288
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Ya, it's always nice to have that elite potential D prospect.

I would have killed to have him stay in Edmonton, but it looks like we found a keeper in Schultz after the draft so not a bad consolation prize at least.
Yeah, Schultz is no consolation prize though... he's an excellent young talent. Good for you guys!

I remember the rumor floating around the draft about the Oilers being interested in Reinhart at #1. That was obviously BS, but Reinhart would have been a perfect fit for you guys too. Seriously, how difficult would have it been for them to scout him?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:52 AM
  #289
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, Schultz is no consolation prize though... he's an excellent young talent. Good for you guys!

I remember the rumor floating around the draft about the Oilers being interested in Reinhart at #1. That was obviously BS, but Reinhart would have been a perfect fit for you guys too. Seriously, how difficult would have it been for them to scout him?
Ya, there was definitely a lot of chatter in these parts, so I think there was some truth to the fact we REALLY liked Griffin.

I doubt he was considered at #1 like you said, but it's tough to say whether they ever entertained trading down or adding a pick, or how serious it ever got.

The good thing is we won't have to deal with him when he becomes a beast defensively for more than 2x a year, thank goodness!

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:37 PM
  #290
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, Schultz is no consolation prize though... he's an excellent young talent. Good for you guys!

I remember the rumor floating around the draft about the Oilers being interested in Reinhart at #1. That was obviously BS, but Reinhart would have been a perfect fit for you guys too. Seriously, how difficult would have it been for them to scout him?
No more far fetched than Murray at #1 imho...and that isn't a knock on Murray.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:45 PM
  #291
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
A strong Norris candidate with those numbers. I'm thinking Reinhart compares very favorably to Kenny Jonsson. A bigger and probably a more physical version, but that's the feeling I'm getting. I would be very happy with that result as an Isles fan.

I've thrown out a North American version of KJ as a comparo, and that's if he doesn't blossom offensively, but he looks like he will be a lynchpin on the point unlike KJ who's offensive strengths kind of ended with him smoothly moving the puck out of the zone. I was a huge fan of Kenny's when he was Leaf prospect, I was mad at the trade we made. Our assistant GM Bill Watters was on the radio claiming that KJ would never be as good as Schneider, well it only took til the next season for Kenny to eclipse Schneider who never was a fit for the Leafs.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
  #292
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,506
vCash: 70
Really excited about Reinhart and our other defensive prospects.

Reinhart: 6'4"
Mayfeild: 6'4"
Pedan: 6'4"
Hamonic: 6'2"
Pelech: 6'2"

Those are all BIG defense-first defenseman with some offensive capabilities. Now all we need is a bonafide offensive defenseman and well be set, it could be Donovan, wish it was Rielly

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
  #293
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yeah, Schultz is no consolation prize though... he's an excellent young talent. Good for you guys!

I remember the rumor floating around the draft about the Oilers being interested in Reinhart at #1. That was obviously BS, but Reinhart would have been a perfect fit for you guys too. Seriously, how difficult would have it been for them to scout him?
As weird as this may sound, I would've been less ticked if we had drafted Reinhart at #1 than if we had drafted Murray. Reinhart from my limited viewings reminded me of a poor mans Pronger.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:05 PM
  #294
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Really excited about Reinhart and our other defensive prospects.

Reinhart: 6'4"
Mayfeild: 6'4"
Pedan: 6'4"
Hamonic: 6'2"
Pelech: 6'2"

Those are all BIG defense-first defenseman with some offensive capabilities. Now all we need is a bonafide offensive defenseman and well be set, it could be Donovan, wish it was Rielly
The Oilers are working towards an equally big blueline, however they lack the bite that Hamonic, Mayfield, and Reinhart can bring to the table and are going for a more skilled approach. IMO it's good to have a mixture of both and I'd kill to have a Hamonic on our club.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:06 PM
  #295
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,349
vCash: 500
Im loving what Im hearing about the BIG Griff...

Griff reminds me of Nino in the sense that next year he will dominate juniors as a 19 year old and might not be quite ready for the NHL.

I wish there could be atleast one exception to the age rule with the AHL...Nino would have been served better if he were allow to play there last year....Griffen is already physically mature for his age and imho another year in junior wont hurt but the AHL offers a closer look at what the NHL is.

Anyway at draft time I wanted Murray Galy or Grigorenko. But I am Thrilled so far with the Griff pick and he is just what the Doctor Ordered for the Isles...If he reaches close to his potential a

Reinhart-Hamonic pair could be scary in the future....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
  #296
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The Oilers are working towards an equally big blueline, however they lack the bite that Hamonic, Mayfield, and Reinhart can bring to the table and are going for a more skilled approach. IMO it's good to have a mixture of both and I'd kill to have a Hamonic on our club.
Id kill to have Shultz

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
  #297
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,244
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
KJ was definitely underrated during his time and you're right, playing for the circus on LI definitely added to that. Jonsson is highly respected in Sweden so it's no surprise that Lindholm has a connection with him. He's a very good mentor to have for sure.

I forget who exactly said it during the draft (Bobby Mac, McGuire, Button), but I remember them saying that Reinhart could develop into the best player in the draft (or something to that extent). A 40+ point d-man who shuts down everything in his wake would qualify as a legit contender for the title of BPA. I hope they're right, but hyperbole's are thrown around like wildfire so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I do have to say, 'FINALLY!' because it's been a long time since we've had a premium d-man prospect like him in a very long time.
The Islanders were willing (supposedly) to give up ALL their picks in the 2012 draft for Cbus 2nd overall.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
  #298
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Impossible with Morgan Reilly on the ice.
Rielly had his moments but entire Moose Jaw was getting dominated in their own end(including Rielly) in the second-half. Rielly was probably the most impressive player in the first 2 periods but made some defensive gaffes in the 3rd when he tried to take control.

Regardless, both were awesome but Reinhart was just solid and better all-around.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:23 PM
  #299
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The Islanders were willing (supposedly) to give up ALL their picks in the 2012 draft for Cbus 2nd overall.
Yeah, very familiar with that whole thing. Blown out of proportion since it's the Isles. Doesn't help that they are so tight lipped about everything, it fuels the fire because they respond to nothing. With that said, it's probably true.

I was a militant Forsberg guy, but the Reinhart pick is working out nicely.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:37 PM
  #300
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The Islanders were willing (supposedly) to give up ALL their picks in the 2012 draft for Cbus 2nd overall.
If that rumor is true, it points out two things..

1.Isles with a deep prospect pool, felt there was a big drop off in talent and losing those non-first rounders wasn't a big deal.

2. Snow wants quality over quantity, at this point in his rebuild.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.