HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy "Frankenstorm" @ New Jersey - Hold on to your butts

Old
11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

vCash: 500
With my gf being a Flyers fan, this is perfect.. We rarely ever get to both be happy when it comes to hockey

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'd definitely go but I've already got tickets for Cornell-Michigan at MSG on Saturday so I'll be going there. If anyone wants their hockey fix, they can get tickets to that since they aren't outrageous price wise on some of the secondary sites.
I really want to go to that, but I can't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
To be fair, this is a great chance for him to get rid of the Andrew Peters hockey card.
He's going to have to come up with a clever way of doing it. FedEx isn't going to work this time.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I wonder if there's any legality behind channels with an NHL contract (Comcast, MSG, etc.) to be allowed to show the game with locked out players?

I'm no lawyer, but I doubt anyone really wants to hassle with it, unfortunately.
Shouldn't be. MSG is airing KHL games

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's going to have to come up with a clever way of doing it. FedEx isn't going to work this time.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Also, more progress has been made in Mantoloking, pretty impressive turnover for 3 weeks

Pictures for contrast/comparison

Do they know for sure if this area will ever be the same really? (i.e. is the character of the beach before the "split" eroded so much that the next big storm will just wash h2o into that area again or has it replenished itself)

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Damn I wish I had seen that operation hattrick game earlier. Only single tickets left and I need 7... Maybe I should just go by myself.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Do they know for sure if this area will ever be the same really? (i.e. is the character of the beach before the "split" eroded so much that the next big storm will just wash h2o into that area again or has it replenished itself)
Well the beach wasn't exactly large pre storm (see picture below), but my guess would be they'll dump sand where the water meets the sand now to try and extend it somewhat

What is interesting about where that part of the new inlet was formed, was apparently where an old inlet was prior to the bridge being built in the 1800s and people were pushing to keep the inlet now as it is (why I couldn't tell you)

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Well the beach wasn't exactly large pre storm (see picture below), but my guess would be they'll dump sand where the water meets the sand now to try and extend it somewhat

What is interesting about where that part of the new inlet was formed, was apparently where an old inlet was prior to the bridge being built in the 1800s and people were pushing to keep the inlet now as it is (why I couldn't tell you)
2 reasons:

1. Mother Nature obviously thinks that inlet should be there, she's gonna win out time and time again. It's arrogant to think you're going to build in her way.

2. People who live on the bayside, would have a much much quicker trek to the ocean. It would take me 15 minutes to get to the ocean as opposed to the hour it does now, and I'm moored at the mouth of the canal - essentially the shortest path to the ocean from that the Barnegat north of say the 37 Bridge.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
2 reasons:

1. Mother Nature obviously thinks that inlet should be there, she's gonna win out time and time again. It's arrogant to think you're going to build in her way.

2. People who live on the bayside, would have a much much quicker trek to the ocean. It would take me 15 minutes to get to the ocean as opposed to the hour it does now, and I'm moored at the mouth of the canal - essentially the shortest path to the ocean from that the Barnegat north of say the 37 Bridge.
From a boaters standpoint, absolutely its gotta suck having to trek down to the inlet by the lighthouse to get to the ocean

Mother nature may think that way and from that standpoint it makes sense not to built in its path again, but then with the surge we saw occur, now it may or may not be as bad in future storms, but that inlet being allowed there allows for the water to surge in far more easy and could flood the bay quicker and cause worse flooding to the streets/homes behind the bay

Old
11-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Well yeah repairing the barrier is a must from the standpoint of protecting the folks inland. The house I grew up in was 6 blocks off the bay, 2 from the canal and 4 or 5 from the swamp/creek. 2 feet of water.

Can't imagine what that would've been had that been a full on inlet at the start. But even that spot, like the island, just isn't a place we should be building **** on, it's going to get swept away again and again.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Well yeah repairing the barrier is a must from the standpoint of protecting the folks inland. The house I grew up in was 6 blocks off the bay, 2 from the canal and 4 or 5 from the swamp/creek. 2 feet of water.

Can't imagine what that would've been had that been a full on inlet at the start. But even that spot, like the island, just isn't a place we should be building **** on, it's going to get swept away again and again.
Unfortunately there really isn't a winnable situation out of keeping it or not

Old
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Charity game:

the philly team has been changed to the "New Jersey" team. Makes way more sense anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/atlan...66740123472734

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I want Alfredsson on our team too. I've finally squashed my hatred of him, and the Sens!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I've never hated Alfredsson. He's one of those players you just have to respect, no matter which team he plays for.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I hated the Sens the same way a lot of us hate the Hurricanes. From our pathetic showing on the last day of the regular season in 96 against them when we lost. All we had to do was win that game, and would have made it, and we lost in convincing fashion. He was on that team. Then the 98 playoffs, the 03 playoffs, and 07, and the time he fired the puck at Niedermayer in the 07 SCF. Not to mention our pathetic showing against them two weeks in a row late in 10/11. They were even worse than us that year!

I always respected him, but didn't like him. Sometime last year I actually started to like him, and the Senators. I had been coming around to him for a few years, but last year I put it aside.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

FYI - if you're going to the after party (for the charity game in AC) at Dusk, we can confirm that jeans and sneakers will be allowed for people coming from the game.. No hats.. And if you do wear jeans/sneakers, try to wear darker colors since they normally don't allow that stuff.. Jerseys are also allowed

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

where to begin on the stupidity of this idea

http://www.businessinsider.com/seasi...-sandy-2012-11

Old
11-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
where to begin on the stupidity of this idea

http://www.businessinsider.com/seasi...-sandy-2012-11
If they are going to do anything to it, tow it out to sea and let it become a natural reef.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:01 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
If they are going to do anything to it, tow it out to sea and let it become a natural reef.
This!!! I have been a Benny at Seaside Park for 48 years own a water logged cabin in the Park and want nothing to do with keeping it as a tourist attraction. None of the people I know from there thinks this is a good Idea AT ALL. Cut it up and drag it out to sea. Place a nice plaque on the boards with a good deal of info as a dedication. Spend the money they would have on rebuilding the boardwalk.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
leftwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Doesn't matter. This was the fastest dump of sand on the shore ever. Three letters - DEP. Wait too long and all the enviro arguments arise to leave the new (old) inlet as carved. No one - homeowners, municipality - wanted the purple haired, duck booted ladies with too much time on their hands involved screwing things up.

On the other topic, the Hat Trick fundraiser, I didn't even hear about it until recently and would have love to have gone. Cornell v. Michigan at the Garden though, sold out. Real shame, whoever scheduled the AC event. Wake up and check the calendar. There really aren't that many conflicting hockey events given the strike and you hit one on the books for nearly a year with exactly the target donor audience you want. Alot of Red will be in the Garden tonight, not the Shore.

leftwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Vinny from Jersey shore is the coach of the New York team tonight

Old
11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
LikeChristmasMorning
The Pride of Newark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Damn I wish I had seen that operation hattrick game earlier. Only single tickets left and I need 7... Maybe I should just go by myself.
They released more tickets and some were still available this morning.

LikeChristmasMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
Doesn't matter. This was the fastest dump of sand on the shore ever. Three letters - DEP. Wait too long and all the enviro arguments arise to leave the new (old) inlet as carved. No one - homeowners, municipality - wanted the purple haired, duck booted ladies with too much time on their hands involved screwing things up.

On the other topic, the Hat Trick fundraiser, I didn't even hear about it until recently and would have love to have gone. Cornell v. Michigan at the Garden though, sold out. Real shame, whoever scheduled the AC event. Wake up and check the calendar. There really aren't that many conflicting hockey events given the strike and you hit one on the books for nearly a year with exactly the target donor audience you want. Alot of Red will be in the Garden tonight, not the Shore.
Any other day but today and I would have been at the game. Was hoping they'd possibly be able to do a game at Barclays since it's technically not an NHL arena yet but probably not since they're connected to the Isles now. I guess Izod could have been an option too.

11-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Old
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

ice surface at Boardwalk Hall, ready for A- Devils tomorrow