HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL on TV - TV Coverage in Europe (incl. Web-TV)

Old
11-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Vicente

vCash: 500
I always follow this kind of discussions very interested. It was said that with more people paying for tv coverage of KHL the quality would improve because companies would invest that money into their equipment for hockey broadcasts. Sry guys but in today's world that money would go directly to the company directors...

In fact its that way: if KHL can offer a great product with games in HD and with English or whatever commentary and if they made the way to get access to these broadcasts (like NHL Game Center live) easier, then they would also get more money. Off course then there are reactions by the Russians like "they don't need that money so no devlopment of the tv broadcasts" blabla... but how can you expect to raise interest in a league outside of Russia if no one is able to follow it.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:05 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I am in talks with Sport TV these days, so I know what I am talking about ... It is not problem of KHL or SportTV that NO SLOVAK BASED TV was not interesting in KHL or offered worse conditions to KHL (money or tv crew at home games of Slovan/Lev) than SportTV. KHL wanted a tv partner in central Europe who is able to make tv signal from home games of Slovan/Lev. And SportTV was there. We could consider NovaSport as well, the only rival of SportTV. I can not see any sport tv in Slovakia(Czech rep).
my provider (Digi TV) doesnt offer Sport 2 but I dont want to change provider. Other than no KHL (an no football NT, as they offer no TV Dajto) I´m happy with my provider - Digi TV gives a lot of EPL/Serie A, Eurosport 2 offers Bundesliga, Sport 1 offer Lev + occasionally Slovan, only Nova Sport + Eurosport 1 suck. Plus my kids are happy with their cartoon channels. Do I have any guarantee that the new provider will offer KHL next year ? No, I dont.

Quote:
I see that Sport TV, especially channel 2, is not easy to get to your tv (extra fee, not cheap, not in provider´s list of channels). On the other hand, if you want to enjoy hockey, you have to invest (as fan). Look at NHL, american/canadians tv. Are they for free?? Fans pay for NHL games and have no problem. IMO some slovaks have feeling that they get everything for free...

You are great example of a guy who invest (and invent the way) into Slovan games via KHL website. You dont have to "follow Slovan games through cr*ppy Russian online streams" Why dont all/majority fans act like you? IMO they have no idea how it works (slovak media dont write about it, only webhokej24), OR dont want to invest money. Nowadays you have nothing for free. You know it, others dont??

One slovak website offers Slovan´s games (dont know if home and away or only home) for small fee. Fans have option, dont have to follow russian streams.
which website offers Slovan ? Here´s first time I hear about it.

Where do you have from that Slovak fans arent willing to pay ? Because it´s bs. I dont wonder you are of this oppinion, as you are in touch with slovak TV people who do sports - they all are deluded idiots. Not so far ago (4-5 years) sports ppl from STV werent willing to pay for a game rights for MSK Zilina x Slavia CL qualifier. Instead of making an proposal to Zilina they even demanded payment from Zilina for doing a transmission, they wanted to get 100k Skk (3300 Eur) because acc.their then logics, Zilina should pay if they want to increase their fanbase or something like that

I f.e. pay monthly 9,60 (Digi TV) + 4,64 (concessioanry fees - public TVs) which isnt much but also aint no peanuts either. And am not willing to change provider because of no KHL, because I dont want to risk losing channels I like. It´s all question of market, and market in Slovakia sucks as tV provders are offering **** packages.

Investing more ? Already now I have two disgusting sat dishes hanging on my house, had someone fitted 3rd one on my wall I wouldnt survive it.

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:30 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
my provider (Digi TV) doesnt offer Sport 2 but I dont want to change provider. Other than no KHL (an no football NT, as they offer no TV Dajto) I´m happy with my provider - Digi TV gives a lot of EPL/Serie A, Eurosport 2 offers Bundesliga, Sport 1 offer Lev + occasionally Slovan, only Nova Sport + Eurosport 1 suck. Plus my kids are happy with their cartoon channels. Do I have any guarantee that the new provider will offer KHL next year ? No, I dont.
Ok, that is your problem, not problem SportTV or KHL. You have priorities (cartoons etc), dont want to change provider .. can not help you.

Quote:

Where do you have from that Slovak fans arent willing to pay ? Because it´s bs. I dont wonder you are of this oppinion, as you are in touch with slovak TV people who do sports - they all are deluded idiots. Not so far ago (4-5 years) sports ppl from STV werent willing to pay for a game rights for MSK Zilina x Slavia CL qualifier. Instead of making an proposal to Zilina they even demanded payment from Zilina for doing a transmission, they wanted to get 100k Skk (3300 Eur) because acc.their then logics, Zilina should pay if they want to increase their fanbase or something like that

I f.e. pay monthly 9,60 (Digi TV) + 4,64 (concessioanry fees - public TVs) which isnt much but also aint no peanuts either. And am not willing to change provider because of no KHL, because I dont want to risk losing channels I like. It´s all question of market, and market in Slovakia sucks as tV provders are offering **** packages.

Investing more ? Already now I have two disgusting sat dishes hanging on my house, had someone fitted 3rd one on my wall I wouldnt survive it.
huste to answer your 1st Q.

Why insulting?? Yes, I have the opinion that many Slovaks dont want to pay for extra channels. If they wanted, there would be no complaints about Sport 2. Yes, I agree that providers dont have the best packages .. but one more time, not problem of SportTV or KHL, it is problem of slovak tv market.

I am not speaking about STV

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Faterson

Quote:
my provider (Digi TV) doesnt offer Sport 2
But that's amateurish of Digi TV to offer only Sport 1, and not Sport 2. You as a Digi TV subscriber should put pressure on Digi TV to include Sport 2 in their sports package. That's exactly the strategy of Sport TV, by the way: they keep pushing Slovan's games to Sport 2, even though they know that Sport 1 is available in more Slovak households. Slovan's KHL games are a tool for Sport TV to get the Sport 2 channel into more Slovak households. Which would be OK if they at least showed all of Slovan's games, both home and away, and not only some games.

Quote:
It's huste.sk, but they apparently show only those Slovan home games that aren't shown on Sport TV. The price was €0.80 per game, I think. Of course, you can watch all of Slovan's games at khl.ru for about €1.25 per game.

By the way, now that we're midway through the season, the KHL should perhaps reduce their prices for season-long subscriptions. If all Slovan games for the season cost €37, they should now perhaps cost €18.50 or so. That's how the NHL used to do it when it was still offered in Europe via ESPN Player. NHL GameCenter is far superior, though, with the exception of its archive section (NHL Vault) that was still only Flash-based in 2011/12. By contrast, it's very nice that khl.ru offers both live games and archived games in non-Flash formats, so they run very well on a phone or tablet as well!

Another thing the KHL might imitate from the NHL next year is an "Early Bird" subscription. Right now, subscribing to streams of all games by all teams costs about €111 for the season (should be around €55 by now). Why not start selling those subscriptions in July or August, as "Early Bird" offers at, say, €99 for the whole season? I think I'd buy that!

For comparison, the entire NHL season via NHL GameCenter cost me €122 a year ago as an Early Bird offer. I never regretted buying it, and the picture quality was amazing: razor-sharp for all games when streamed from an iPad onto a 46-inch TV screen. Who needs TV channels if digital streams are this good?

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Vicente

Maybe I am misinformed but isn't it correct that some of the Slovan home games are just not broadcasted at all like yesterday? Correct me please if I am wrong ! Just curious.

If this is the case it would be very sad. I mean I can understand that they give the rights to many TV stations around Europe to broadcast games but in the end you should have all games available for paying members of the KHL website.

And still no English version of the KHL TV how to get it etc, not even on en.khl.ru, right? It links to the Russian version. Seems they don't want people from other countries to watch the games.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
For comparison, the entire NHL season via NHL GameCenter cost me €122 a year ago as an Early Bird offer. I never regretted buying it, and the picture quality was amazing: razor-sharp for all games when streamed from an iPad onto a 46-inch TV screen. Who needs TV channels if digital streams are this good?

Oh yeah I know what you mean. One Bruins vs. Caps game I didn't really follow but just was astonished by the amazing picture quality.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Maybe I am misinformed but isn't it correct that some of the Slovan home games are just not broadcasted at all like yesterday? Correct me please if I am wrong ! Just curious.
That was the case in recent months. Sport TV have now changed their approach after pressure from viewers. They were supposed to show only 3 out of 7 Slovan home games in November and December. However, they have now changed their mind and will show all 7 of Slovan's home games, including the one yesterday. That's nice. However, they still won't be showing all of Slovan's away games, for example during Slovan's upcoming road trip in Siberia and the Far East. And I simply don't buy those excuses that the KHL "didn't offer those games to them". I'm sure there'll be some kind of a stream at khl.ru for each game, and Sport TV should be showing that, if nothing else. The picture quality can't possibly get any worse than what we saw from Yaroslavl.

Another problem with Sport TV is that they have two channels, Sport 1 and Sport 2. Few households in Slovakia have access to Sport 1, and very very few have access to Sport 2. Despite this, Sport TV prefers to show Slovan's games on Sport 2, even though they realize this means fewer people in Slovakia will get to see the live broadcast. Like I said, Slovan's KHL games are used as a tool by Sport TV to get Sport 2 into more Slovak households. Sport TV wants Slovak viewers to complain to their cable TV operators so that they include Sport 2 in their packages for subscribers.

There were days in September and October when Sport 2 was showing Slovan's game live, while Sport 1 was just showing a re-run of an unimportant event. This was intentional in order to promote Sport 2. After heavy criticism, Sport TV have now changed their approach a bit, and tomorrow's game of Slovan vs. Lokomotiv will be shown on Sport 1 rather than Sport 2. However, looking at the line-up of December broadcasts, it's clear that Sport 2 will remain the preferred channel for Slovan games, although Sport 2 is even less accessible in Slovakia than Sport 1.

Last edited by Faterson: 11-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 09:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
That was the case in recent months. Sport TV have now changed their approach after pressure from viewers. They were supposed to show only 3 out of 7 Slovan home games in November and December. However, they have now changed their mind and will show all 7 of Slovan's home games, including the one yesterday. That's nice. However, they still won't be showing all of Slovan's away games, for example during Slovan's upcoming road trip in Siberia and the Far East. And I simply don't buy those excuses that the KHL "didn't offer those games to them". I'm sure there'll be some kind of a stream at khl.ru for each game, and Sport TV should be showing that, if nothing else. The picture quality can't possibly get any worse than what we saw from Yaroslavl.
You dont buy this argument of SportTV, so ok. Your choice. Lets have a look at copyright.You (SportTV) have to sign license agreement with rights holder (KHL) to be able to stream/broadcast games at your tv. It is not possible to take a stream from khl.ru and broadcast it at SportTV. You need to sign license agreement before. What if KHL does not offer THIS game? Simple, you can not broadcast it.

Quote:
Another problem with Sport TV is that they have two channels, Sport 1 and Sport 2. Few households in Slovakia have access to Sport 1, and very very few have access to Sport 2. Despite this, Sport TV prefers to show Slovan's games on Sport 2, even though they realize this means fewer people in Slovakia will get to see the live broadcast. Like I said, Slovan's KHL games are used as a tool by Sport TV to get Sport 2 into more Slovak households. Sport TV wants Slovak viewers to complain to their cable TV operators so that they include Sport 2 in their packages for subscribers.

There were days in September and October when Sport 2 was showing Slovan's game live, while Sport 1 was just showing a re-run of an unimportant event. This was intentional in order to promote Sport 2. After heavy criticism, Sport TV have now changed their approach a bit, and tomorrow's game of Slovan vs. Lokomotiv will be shown on Sport 1 rather than Sport 2. However, looking at the line-up of December broadcasts, it's clear that Sport 2 will remain the preferred channel for Slovan games, although Sport 2 is even less accessible in Slovakia than Sport 1.
As you wrote it is policy of SportTV to get channel 2 to more households. I have no problem with this policy, it is reasonable. I dont like it, but dont criticize this approach. If I dont agree with it, I dont have to subscribe/change provider - so I am without Slovan´s games. If I want to watch it, I subscribe/change provider.

Yes, it is easier to write it than done. On the other hand, it is a bussiness for SportTV. So why are we suprised? There are other FREE slovak broadcasters (Markiza,Joj, RTVS) who had opportunity to buy KHL license and did not do that.

Why ESPN does not broadcast NHL? Because ESPN or NHL did not agree with conditions of license, so no NHL on ESPN. Why Versus bought NHL rights a few years ago? As I know the main reason was to expand into american tv market. Right? SportTV has been doing the same with Sport2...

Old
11-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Faterson

Quote:
What if KHL does not offer THIS game?
It's an if. Like I said, I keep hearing conflicting statements about this. For example, Sport TV won't show the Amur vs. Slovan game next Wednesday. What does this mean? Am I to believe that viewers in Khabarovsk won't get to see this game on TV, either? I find that unlikely. And if there is a TV broadcast, why not offer it to the fans of the visiting team, too?

No matter whose fault exactly this is, I find it inexcusable and unprofessional. As I mentioned, I'll be cancelling my Sport TV subscription next year unless they start showing all Slovan games. No excuses. Or, there could be the "combined NHL model": most Slovan games on 1 channel, a handful of games on another channel. But "no TV broadcast at all" is not acceptable if I'm supposed to pay for a premium sports TV channel.

Quote:
Why Versus bought NHL rights a few years ago? As I know the main reason was to expand into american tv market. Right? SportTV has been doing the same with Sport2...
No, Vorky, it's not the same; you're mingling 2 concepts here. Versus (now renamed to NBC Sports Channel) is a premium TV channel; it's not the "home" TV channel for any NHL team. It only shows selected games by random NHL teams, usually just a few games per week. (It's like the Czech Nova Sport TV channel in the current KHL season.) If a game is not shown on Versus/NBC, this doesn't mean that the game isn't shown anywhere on TV. It means it's shown on the team's usual regional TV channel (typically "free" as defined earlier).

In contrast, Sport TV is both a premium channel and Slovan's and Lev's "home" TV channel, but it still doesn't show all of Slovan & Lev games, nor are those missing games shown on any other TV channel in Slovakia/Czech Rep. That's unacceptable in the long run.

Last edited by Faterson: 11-24-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 10:32 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Ok, that is your problem, not problem SportTV or KHL. You have priorities (cartoons etc), dont want to change provider .. can not help you.
no you cant, but thanks for caring.

Quote:
huste to answer your 1st Q.
http://live.huste.tv/intro

no Slovan x Jaroslavl tomorrow.

Quote:
Why insulting?? Yes, I have the opinion that many Slovaks dont want to pay for extra channels. If they wanted, there would be no complaints about Sport 2. Yes, I agree that providers dont have the best packages .. but one more time, not problem of SportTV or KHL, it is problem of slovak tv market.

I am not speaking about STV
whats insulting on saying that Slovak Sports TV ppl are idiots ? Slovakia´s TVs are poor buyers and miserable sellers, thats why ppl dont care about buying their products which smells and has terrible packing. Cant even hire a proper announcer + pundits, always same terrible clowns who are all-sports experts, one day commenting on tennis, other day on figure skating etc they they are all of sudden hockey experts. They rarely provide viewers with valuable insight, just a load of emotional bs. No wonder that during WC, a lot of fans in Slovakia switch to Czech TV, because our pundits/announcers are unbearable.

Another nice example of their idiocy: 2 years ago DIGI Sport bought TV rights for football Corgonliga + NT games because noone (Markiza, JOJ, STV) were interested in buying these rights. NT games have good ratings and sports ppl cant convince TV owners to invest a bit into sports. Same goes for Slovan´s KHL rights btw snapped by another marginal Sports TV, Sport 2, they bought it becaue noone else was interested. Dont you see the pattern ? They probably believe that someone gives them TV rights for free.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:36 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
no you cant, but thanks for caring.

whats insulting on saying that Slovak Sports TV ppl are idiots ? Slovakia´s TVs are poor buyers and miserable sellers, thats why ppl dont care about buying their products which smells and has terrible packing. Cant even hire a proper announcer + pundits, always same terrible clowns who are all-sports experts, one day commenting on tennis, other day on figure skating etc they they are all of sudden hockey experts. They rarely provide viewers with valuable insight, just a load of emotional bs. No wonder that during WC, a lot of fans in Slovakia switch to Czech TV, because our pundits/announcers are unbearable.

Another nice example of their idiocy: 2 years ago DIGI Sport bought TV rights for football Corgonliga + NT games because noone (Markiza, JOJ, STV) were interested in buying these rights. NT games have good ratings and sports ppl cant convince TV owners to invest a bit into sports. Same goes for Slovan´s KHL rights btw snapped by another marginal Sports TV, Sport 2, they bought it becaue noone else was interested. Dont you see the pattern ? They probably believe that someone gives them TV rights for free.
Same for Latvian TV.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Faterson

I will start with second part of your post. Ok.

You dont have to believe it, but KHL does not offer all games.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

kajoo

Quote:
Same goes for Slovan´s KHL rights btw snapped by another marginal Sports TV, Sport 2, they bought it becaue noone else was interested. Dont you see the pattern ? They probably believe that someone gives them TV rights for free.
Thats what I am saying. It is not fault of SportTV that bought KHL rights, or fault of KHL that no free slovak broadcaster was interested. So blame management of Markiza/RTVS/Joj and NOT SportTV or KHL.

Your only change to get Slovan´s KHL games on TV is to subscribe Sport1/2 because SportTV will likely get KHL rights for next seasons. We will see how long deal it will be.

If speaking about announcers .. yes, that is major problem of SportTV (and all broadcasters). I hope they will improve.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:47 AM
kajoo

Quote:
But that's amateurish of Digi TV to offer only Sport 1, and not Sport 2. You as a Digi TV subscriber should put pressure on Digi TV to include Sport 2 in their sports package. That's exactly the strategy of Sport TV, by the way: they keep pushing Slovan's games to Sport 2, even though they know that Sport 1 is available in more Slovak households. Slovan's KHL games are a tool for Sport TV to get the Sport 2 channel into more Slovak households. Which would be OK if they at least showed all of Slovan's games, both home and away, and not only some games.
You call Digi TV amateurish, while I think they are the best TV provider on market, and the sad thing is we both are right Did you ever tried to push Digi TV ? I tried, and achieved grawnd total nothing. 2 years ago they cancelled HBO pack without notification, I kept bugging them with my emails and always received auto-generated reply about how hard they try and ask for my patience blah. Pushing provider leads to nowhere.

Quote:
It's huste.sk, but they apparently show only those Slovan home games that aren't shown on Sport TV. The price was €0.80 per game, I think. Of course, you can watch all of Slovan's games at khl.ru for about €1.25 per game.
no Slovan tomorrow http://live.huste.tv/intro
so I will probably take a look onto KHL.ru site. Been to yesterdays game and enjoyed it, my first game of a season directly on stadium. Do live 130 kms from Bratislava and TV/stream is the best option for me.

Quote:
By the way, now that we're midway through the season, the KHL should perhaps reduce their prices for season-long subscriptions. If all Slovan games for the season cost €37, they should now perhaps cost €18.50 or so. That's how the NHL used to do it when it was still offered in Europe via ESPN Player. NHL GameCenter is far superior, though, with the exception of its archive section (NHL Vault) that was still only Flash-based in 2011/12. By contrast, it's very nice that khl.ru offers both live games and archived games in non-Flash formats, so they run very well on a phone or tablet as well!
sounds good but I´m not interested in buying season package as I spent a lot of time by travelling, f.e. this month been already 10 days outside of Svk, next month it will be 2 weeks etc. Do prefer buying single games.

Quote:
Another thing the KHL might imitate from the NHL next year is an "Early Bird" subscription. Right now, subscribing to streams of all games by all teams costs about €111 for the season (should be around €55 by now). Why not start selling those subscriptions in July or August, as "Early Bird" offers at, say, €99 for the whole season? I think I'd buy that!

love NHL, Nova Sports games were more than enough for me, mainly due to unfavourable playing times. Used to watch only weekend´s afternoons games (7-9 PM CET).

Old
11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
kajoo

Quote:
kajoo

Thats what I am saying. It is not fault of SportTV that bought KHL rights, or fault of KHL that no free slovak broadcaster was interested. So blame management of Markiza/RTVS/Joj and NOT SportTV or KHL.

Your only change to get Slovan´s KHL games on TV is to subscribe Sport1/2 because SportTV will likely get KHL rights for next seasons. We will see how long deal it will be.

If speaking about announcers .. yes, that is major problem of SportTV (and all broadcasters). I hope they will improve.

24. November 2012. The day I was in agreement with vorky

(I never blamed KHL but a slovak TV ppl)

Old
11-24-2012, 10:51 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Faterson

Quote:
For example, Sport TV won't show the Amur vs. Slovan game next Wednesday.
good news for you. It is broadcasted live by Sport2 at 08:45 CET and repeated by Sport1 at 18:00 CET

Old
11-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Faterson

Quote:

I don't think there'll be any Slovan games at huste.sk in November and December, now that Sport TV changed their plans and will show all of Slovan's home games in those months. huste.sk only showed those Slovan home games that weren't shown on Sport TV.

Quote:
our pundits/announcers are unbearable
That's too much of a blanket statement. I think (ex)players like Richard Lintner and Vladimír Országh are excellent color commentators, and Gašpar is a decent play-by-play guy. I find the "Slovak Czech" Jindřich Novotný acceptable for color as well. What I hate is surviving Communist-era announcers (and I don't need to say the obvious name).

Quote:
You dont have to believe it, but KHL does not offer all games.
I don't care whose fault it is, KHL or Sport TV. What's unacceptable is that you can't watch those missing games on any TV channel. KHL or Sport TV, or both, should ensure that this will not happen in future. Right now, most Slovan games are difficult to watch on TV for most Slovak hockey fans, and some Slovan games are impossible to watch on TV in Slovakia. If the KHL truly wants to expand into Europe, this isn't the way to do it.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:03 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Same for Latvian TV.
But I´m sure that when comes to explaining TV owners the reasons of no subscribers, they always come to an conclusion that Latvians are misers who are not willing to spend money They are never at fault. Must be tough to be TV Sports genius in our latitudes.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Faterson

Quote:
good news for you. [Amur vs. Slovan] is broadcasted live by Sport2 at 08:45 CET and repeated by Sport1 at 18:00 CET
Sorry, I mixed up the games. What isn't shown is the Sibir vs. Slovan game next Friday and Novokuznetsk vs. Slovan game next Sunday. That's 2 out of 4 games of Slovan's road trip.

Last edited by Faterson: 11-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 11:10 AM
kajoo

Quote:
That's too much of a blanket statement. I think (ex)players like Richard Lintner and Vladimír Országh are excellent color commentators, and Gašpar is a decent play-by-play guy. I find the "Slovak Czech" Jindřich Novotný acceptable for color as well. What I hate is surviving Communist-era announcers (and I don't need to say the obvious name).
I love former hockey players they bring the fun factor and know a lot details from behind the scenes, on the other side, sometimes they sound too loyal to their former team mates and avoid any critics.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:12 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Faterson

I see you, just saying that it is not so easy. KHL has policy that low quality games (like you mentioned Lokomotiv) are no available for foreign broadcasters. Do you blame KHL for this attitude? I believe that away games, which are not broadcasted by SportTV, are the games of this type. I am sure that SportTV (channel 1or2) broadcasts all away games of Slovan which are offered to abroad. If you dont believe, contact KHL TV.

Ppl wants KHL to have the same servis like NHL. Ok, I agree. On the other hand we should take into account the status quo of russian broadcasting market. Even SportTV, based in Slovakia, does not broadcast the same level of quality as american/canadian broadcasters. There is problem, low quality of local broadcasters in Russia/Latvia/Slovakia etc. Btw, Russia is investing into development, Slovakia not... or yes?

Old
11-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Faterson

Quote:
KHL has policy that low quality games (like you mentioned Lokomotiv) are no available for foreign broadcasters. Do you blame KHL for this attitude?
Yes. Even a bad-quality broadcast is better than no broadcast at all. If you polled the fans, I'm sure that would be the overwhelming opinion. Besides, the game from Yaroslavl was shown on TV, and I can't imagine the games @Sibir and @Novokuznetsk could possibly be any worse than Yaroslavl in terms of picture quality, so why withhold those games from Slovan fans? Hardcore fans will try and watch those games online anyway, using all those cr*ppy "free streams" from Russian websites.

We're not the pampered ESPN audience that needs to get all games in HD, or otherwise they're not interested. Slovakia is a post-Communist country just like Russia, and we get it that the picture quality can't (as yet) be top-notch at all times. What we don't get is having to pay for premium TV channels if those channels only show a selection of the games we're willing to pay for.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:31 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
But I´m sure that when comes to explaining TV owners the reasons of no subscribers, they always come to an conclusion that Latvians are misers who are not willing to spend money They are never at fault. Must be tough to be TV Sports genius in our latitudes.
Well the situation in Latvia is that we had LTV7 broadcasting all Dinamo Riga for free 4 straight seasons in a row,then came Viasat and bought the broadcasting rights,basically all home games now are broadcasted on tv6 (most latvians have this channel,but not all) and all away games are broadcasted by Viasat sport baltic (which few latvians have) people were outraged by this move as it`s clear that it was only done to force people to pay for away games buying Viasat sport baltic.greedy ********.
I had no other option as to buy the Viasat sport baltic,cause i can`t live without hockey.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:33 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Yes. Even a bad-quality broadcast is better than no broadcast at all. If you polled the fans, I'm sure that would be the overwhelming opinion. Besides, the game from Yaroslavl was shown on TV, and I can't imagine the games @Sibir and @Novokuznetsk could possibly be any worse than Yaroslavl in terms of picture quality, so why withhold those games from Slovan fans? Hardcore fans will try and watch those games online anyway, using all those cr*ppy "free streams" from Russian websites.

We're not the pampered ESPN audience that needs to get all games in HD, or otherwise they're not interested. Slovakia is a post-Communist country just like Russia, and we get it that the picture quality can't (as yet) be top-notch at all times. What we don't get is having to pay for premium TV channels if those channels only show a selection of the games we're willing to pay for.
I see your frustration. I dont know answer for Sibir/Kunetsk games now, will get it next week. My opinion is that these games are not offered by KHL because bad picture quality. Yes, you mentioned Lokomotiv game but it is not fair to compare it. Lokomotiv is special case due to air crash last year.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:46 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Well the situation in Latvia is that we had LTV7 broadcasting all Dinamo Riga for free 4 straight seasons in a row,then came Viasat and bought the broadcasting rights,basically all home games now are broadcasted on tv6 (most latvians have this channel,but not all) and all away games are broadcasted by Viasat sport baltic (which few latvians have) people were outraged by this move as it`s clear that it was only done to force people to pay for away games buying Viasat sport baltic.greedy ********.
I had no other option as to buy the Viasat sport baltic,cause i can`t live without hockey.
thanks for insight, Helo.

Situation in Slovakia is that none of major TVs (STV, Markiza, JOJ) were interested in byuing TV rights for KHL, so Slovan´s KHL games turned into Slovakia´s top secrets.

My bet is that major TVs were calculating that KHL will donate them their TV rights as a part of their expansion tactics and propagation of KHL. Because this is what they were demanding in past from football clubs (STV and MSK Zilina vs Slavia in CL preliminary, HSV in EL) in particular), they genuinely believed that games transmission are charity work for sports organisations.

What is pissing me as a fan is a fact we have 3 big players on market (STV, Markiza, JOJ) with biggest share on m arket and best coverage and neither one is interested in KHL. Especially disappointing from STV that is miliking down tax payers for nothing while bringing up live coverage of parliamentary discussions and other bs. Also Markiza/JOJ are highly disappointing, as they have 3 resp. 2 channels (Markiza/ Doma/ Dajto vs JOJ/JOJ Plus) - when they were applying for licence for 2nd channel they even used sports as a main argument, and after they quickly forgot it and launched retarded reality shows instead.

Markiza recently (August 2012) launched 3rd channel (Dajto) which still isnt offered by some cable providers (Digi TV f.e.) while JOJ runs internet TV huste.sk which offers football Corgonliga and hockey Extraliga.

Sport 2 that offers Slovan/KHL is avalaible only for few % of households.

Our TV market is run by ****.

Last edited by kajoo: 11-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.