*OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Renegader

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Can any Bulls fans who were at Saturday night's game tell me how well Whalers' rookie goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic played? It was his first OHL appearance.
I thought he was decent. Seemed to be in the right place at the right time. The 2nd goal he let in against Subban was a bit of a softy but overall I thought he did a good job. Take this with a grain of salt though because Belleville is the worst offensive team in the OHL.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
Can any Bulls fans who were at Saturday night's game tell me how well Whalers' rookie goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic played? It was his first OHL appearance.
pretty solid game in my opinion; check out the bulls website and you can see the video from the game and see the goals against; he has pretty good rebound control

Old
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlnhockeynut View Post
pretty solid game in my opinion; check out the bulls website and you can see the video from the game and see the goals against; he has pretty good rebound control
This kid was the best goalie of the age group a few years ago when he played for the Cleveland Barons. He stole them the Silver Stick in Minor Bantam.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegader View Post
I thought he was decent. Seemed to be in the right place at the right time. The 2nd goal he let in against Subban was a bit of a softy but overall I thought he did a good job. Take this with a grain of salt though because Belleville is the worst offensive team in the OHL.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
This kid was the best goalie of the age group a few years ago when he played for the Cleveland Barons. He stole them the Silver Stick in Minor Bantam.
Thanks, everyone. I checked out the highlights, and that 2nd goal by Subban was definitely a little soft, but the other two goals were not. It's tough to get an impression from a few highlights, so I appreciate the feedback.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:18 AM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
np whalersfan

Old
11-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Fourier

If anyone here would be willing to give me a short rundown on how Zharkov's season has gone so far it would be greatly appreciated. His point totals seem to be below what his skillset would suggest, but I believe Belleville plays very tight.

I'd like to know what you think his strengths are and what weaknesses he might have to prevent him from potentially playing in the NHL.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Fourier: 11-21-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old
11-21-2012, 11:03 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
If anyone here would be willing to give me a short rundown on how Zharkov's season has gone so far it would be greatly appreciated. His point totals seem to be below what his skillset would suggest, but I believe Belleville plays very tight.

I'd like to know what you think his strengths are and what weaknesses he might have to prevent him from potentially playing in the NHL.

Thanks in advance.
Zharkov is definitely not producing up to expectations offensively. I expected a PPG guy at the very least this year and so far he is well below that mark.

His strengths lie in his rare combination of size and skill. You don't often see guys who are 6'4, and able to beat you with size and finesse. Zharkov has a pro caliber snap shot and is developing a physical side, which will make him that much harder to contain.

The biggest issue I've had with his play thus far has been his shift-to shift consistency or lack thereof. He will go out one shift and absolutely dominate, before disappearing for the rest of the game. If Zharkov starts putting shifts together, I think you'll see a big improvement in his numbers.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Renegader

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Zharkov is definitely not producing up to expectations offensively. I expected a PPG guy at the very least this year and so far he is well below that mark.

His strengths lie in his rare combination of size and skill. You don't often see guys who are 6'4, and able to beat you with size and finesse. Zharkov has a pro caliber snap shot and is developing a physical side, which will make him that much harder to contain.

The biggest issue I've had with his play thus far has been his shift-to shift consistency or lack thereof. He will go out one shift and absolutely dominate, before disappearing for the rest of the game. If Zharkov starts putting shifts together, I think you'll see a big improvement in his numbers.
I agree with all of this. I'll add as well that sometimes he tries to do too much on his own. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not.

He needs to shoot more.... a lot more. There is no question in my mind that he has the best/fastest/hardest shot in the OHL (perhaps CHL?). It is an NHL caliber shot and he needs to be shooting pucks on net 8-10 times a game. Seriously... his shot is that good! Shoot the puck more Danii!

Old
11-21-2012, 01:09 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
I agree with all of this. I'll add as well that sometimes he tries to do too much on his own. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not.

He needs to shoot more.... a lot more. There is no question in my mind that he has the best/fastest/hardest shot in the OHL (perhaps CHL?). It is an NHL caliber shot and he needs to be shooting pucks on net 8-10 times a game. Seriously... his shot is that good! Shoot the puck more Danii!
Agreed. Often gets caught trying to make that extra move...needs to realize he has the ability to beat goalies clean from anywhere in the offensive zone.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:48 PM
JSavoire

Quote:

Daniil's problems are that he does the same thing each shift pretty much. Shooting from far out doesn't work well in this leagfue and he sometimes does it with a look of frustration. Opposing D will give you a shot from afar or from total bad angles any day of the week. Main problem is he has below average accuracy and so many shots whistle past the net. Don't get me wrong, he can really shoot the puck but knowing when and trying to get it on net will go much farther than what he's doing now. He also needs to utilize his linemates as I've seen him in 4 on 4 situations for example and he's had guys like Gaunce who can score wide open and he'll instead choose to try and drill the puck through the goalie rather than send it back door for a tap in. That would at least get him some more points and the team some more needed goals. But those are things that he can fix pretty easily so it's up to the coaching staff to help him out.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:38 AM
maldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Daniil's problems are that he does the same thing each shift pretty much. Shooting from far out doesn't work well in this leagfue and he sometimes does it with a look of frustration. Opposing D will give you a shot from afar or from total bad angles any day of the week. Main problem is he has below average accuracy and so many shots whistle past the net. Don't get me wrong, he can really shoot the puck but knowing when and trying to get it on net will go much farther than what he's doing now. He also needs to utilize his linemates as I've seen him in 4 on 4 situations for example and he's had guys like Gaunce who can score wide open and he'll instead choose to try and drill the puck through the goalie rather than send it back door for a tap in. That would at least get him some more points and the team some more needed goals. But those are things that he can fix pretty easily so it's up to the coaching staff to help him out.
Its called " Russian mentality " Kupsov does the same. Sometimes these players should be told an assist can be as important as a goal. Can it be fixed pretty easily by the coaching staff.I hope so.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldo View Post
Its called " Russian mentality " Kupsov does the same. Sometimes these players should be told an assist can be as important as a goal. Can it be fixed pretty easily by the coaching staff.I hope so.
Well that mentality only hurts teams IMO since if you compare Zharkov 6G, 3A to Strome 15G, 28A, you'll see that Strome has 25 more assists already and we're at the 1/3 part of the season. I didn't realize that Zharkov had only 3 Assists on the year. That's downright awful team play when you think about a guy who's out on 5 on 5, 4 on 4, Powerplay, extra man, OT and even PK at times. I'm pretty sure guys like Gaunce don't want to Center him.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

Zharkov may not have many assists, but I wouldn't consider him greedy with the puck or a puck hog. I have seen him in situations make passes when he should have probably shot. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely made selfish decisions where he's tried doing it all on his own, but this isn't exactly a bad thing. Someone with his skill set, and someone with the shot he has, should do this every once in awhile. But I've seen him make great passes and make smart passing plays. It surprises me that he only has 3 assists. I think a lot of this just has to do with his linemates not being great goal scorers, and, as you guys already know, the Bulls lack of scoring in general.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:34 PM
JSavoire

Started to watch London vs. Sarnia but the Knights very quickly made that no contest so I switched on Jack Miller who I've enjoyed over the years. I missed the fact that the Bulls got out to a fast lead but as always that somehow turns around in the 2nd especially. Nice to see Heff get his first points finally as a Bull and almost a Gordie Howe Hat Trick and Berisha notching a pair of goals and the shootout win was just what the Bulls needed to resuscitate a nice blown lead. I'd agree with Jack in that the 'Kid' line of Berisha/Heff and Simmonds as he calls them was easily the best line not for the points put up but for the fact that they did it without hardly playing much. Two shifts in the 3rd and none in OT is not the way you reward players for being very hot on a given night but I guess giving Berisha the final shootout opportunity to win the game would prob. be a consolation. This is not a game where Malcolm bailed the team but rather one he would want back. I think Jack's call was very accurate in that he said early in the game that when Malcolm's glove is not steady that he's having an off night and sure enough the shot that tied it from Center ice area went through the glove area.

The real big test will be tomorrow against the high flying Niagara Ice Dogs with some of the biggest guns in the league. Snooze there for a few minutes and even the staunchest fans might tune out. A point out of the game would actually mean a successful road trip.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Parksy

great to see the kids along with hardworking Scottie Simmonds getting results last night. Hopefully others take some notes.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
great to see the kids along with hardworking Scottie Simmonds getting results last night. Hopefully others take some notes.
You'd think there would be a lot more excitement in this win not only cause it came after a blown lead but more importantly it wasn't a win where Malcolm had to bail out the team but instead the team reciprocated and bailed him out for a change.

The game tonight against Niagara should be a good one and hopefully we'll see a lot of offense...at least for one game of the year.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

Quote:
You'd think there would be a lot more excitement in this win not only cause it came after a blown lead but more importantly it wasn't a win where Malcolm had to bail out the team but instead the team reciprocated and bailed him out for a change.

The game tonight against Niagara should be a good one and hopefully we'll see a lot of offense...at least for one game of the year.
Good point on mentioning the vice-versa. The team did bail out Malcolm for a change. And yeah, let's hope for a good game against Niagra tonight. Goals would be nice!

Old
11-23-2012, 09:16 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitars of Drizzt View Post
Good point on mentioning the vice-versa. The team did bail out Malcolm for a change. And yeah, let's hope for a good game against Niagra tonight. Goals would be nice!
Goals would be great but as a frustrated Jack Miller pointed out and that's that they have to get shots on net. They're so caught up in being defensive that no one wants to make a mistake and so they'd rather dump the puck in deep. What was it, 14 shots through first 2 periods including powerplays! Ouch! Can't score if you don't have a team effort to get pucks and traffic to the net. But I'll be the first to admit this was a very boring game not because of the score but rather due to very poor overall effort. This looked like 3 games in 2.5 nights with this being the worst of those scenarios. Oh well, some rest and a shot at it on Sunday.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Tonester01

Another great offensive outburst in Niagara. What's up with this team? Were Kupsov and Worrad healthy scratches?
Maybe it's time for George to kick himself upstairs and be GM only and bring in a coach who can run an offence and power play.
Lack of scoring will not bring the fans back to the Yardmen. Bulls are lucky that the Eastern division is the weak link this year.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:20 PM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester01 View Post
Another great offensive outburst in Niagara. What's up with this team? Were Kupsov and Worrad healthy scratches?
Maybe it's time for George to kick himself upstairs and be GM only and bring in a coach who can run an offence and power play.
Lack of scoring will not bring the fans back to the Yardmen. Bulls are lucky that the Eastern division is the weak link this year.
agreed completely; if you gave the bulls team to any of the top coaches (london, windsor, plymouth, kitchener, etc.) they would probably be the best team in the league; stop the trap (it does not work); why retreat and give them the puck all the time, wake up george you have the players to score, u got them there good job by the gm, but let them play for heavens sake

Old
11-24-2012, 02:44 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
agreed completely; if you gave the bulls team to any of the top coaches (london, windsor, plymouth, kitchener, etc.) they would probably be the best team in the league; stop the trap (it does not work); why retreat and give them the puck all the time, wake up george you have the players to score, u got them there good job by the gm, but let them play for heavens sake
Imagine they tried for several games to play a 2-1-2 style of Hard forecheck with two guys in and one guy sitting 5 feet over the blue line inside the O zone and the D right behind him in the Neutral Zone. That would certainly create way more opportunities and then make sure the forwards backcheck hard all game long. Keep the shifts short and the tempo high and see what happens for 5 or 10 games. Maybe some hockey might break out of this and players and fans alike will remember why they show up to the rink for each game.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Tonester01

Good to see Jason Shaw off to a good start in Saginaw, 3 points in 4 games and a +2 rating.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:03 PM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
Imagine they tried for several games to play a 2-1-2 style of Hard forecheck with two guys in and one guy sitting 5 feet over the blue line inside the O zone and the D right behind him in the Neutral Zone. That would certainly create way more opportunities and then make sure the forwards backcheck hard all game long. Keep the shifts short and the tempo high and see what happens for 5 or 10 games. Maybe some hockey might break out of this and players and fans alike will remember why they show up to the rink for each game.
100% correct

Old
11-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

Quote:
Goals would be great but as a frustrated Jack Miller pointed out and that's that they have to get shots on net. They're so caught up in being defensive that no one wants to make a mistake and so they'd rather dump the puck in deep. What was it, 14 shots through first 2 periods including powerplays! Ouch! Can't score if you don't have a team effort to get pucks and traffic to the net. But I'll be the first to admit this was a very boring game not because of the score but rather due to very poor overall effort. This looked like 3 games in 2.5 nights with this being the worst of those scenarios. Oh well, some rest and a shot at it on Sunday.
Yeah, they have lacked shots lately as well. This afternoons game though, they just posted 53, or 54 against Ottawa in a 3-0 win. Offense definitely looked more promising, they did struggle on the powerplay yet again, but they still were all over Ottawa for the most part. A lot of shots taking from the hash-marks but it was still a really good performance by Belleville overall, and a good victory. Good to see Sandlak getting some points.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
maldo

I think Lemmon should get some "special attention " this Wednesday against the dogs after the way he ran around high sticking,elbowing ,cheap shotting, and trash talking everbody at Fridays game in Niagara.

Closed Thread