HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL on TV - TV Coverage in Europe (incl. Web-TV)

Old
11-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Faterson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Yes, you mentioned Lokomotiv game but it is not fair to compare it. Lokomotiv is special case due to air crash last year.
Lokomotiv wasn't the only broadcast with hideous picture quality this year. I think that Nizhnekamsk and others were pretty bad as well. Still, even "hideous" is preferable over "nothing".

I'd be interested to hear if you get any feedback from Sport TV on those missing Sibir & Novokuznetsk broadcasts, Vorky. Perhaps the KHL was "embarrassed" to offer those games to foreign TV stations due to bad picture quality. But then it's just a misunderstanding and it needs to be explained that we, Slovan fans, definitely prefer a bad broadcast over no broadcast. We won't really be offended, even though we may b|tch and moan about the picture quality.

I heard about the situation in Latvia being similar to Slovakia, but at least you can buy all of Dinamo Riga games on TV if you want to. Right now, it would be a success for Slovan fans if we at least got to that stage.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:55 PM
kajoo

most of fans/viewers in Slovakia are pissed because every household is forced to pay 4,64 Eur / month concessioanry fees to public TV/Radio stations (STV/Sro) noone watches/listens to, especially when you get like 50 stations for twice as much (9,6/month at DigiTV f.e.) than for useless and unwatchable STV1/2. So while STV sucesfully keeps being unwatchable, other big guns on market Markiza/JOJ are too busy with searching talent or bride for farmer

No wonder public TV cant afford to buy a good product when they feed this machinery:

STV (1000+ employees, 90 managing directors)

Sro (700+ employees)

Btw do you guys pay concessionary fees in your countries, and how much ?

Last edited by kajoo: 11-24-2012 at 01:55 PM.
kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:17 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear if you get any feedback from Sport TV on those missing Sibir & Novokuznetsk broadcasts, Vorky.
KHL TV as source, hoping next week

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Faterson

From a long interview with Slovan's General Manager Maro Krejč at sports.ru:

Quote:
Что касается рекламы, то нам еще нужно вести переговоры с КХЛ. Например, о телевизионных трансляциях: у нас пока подписан договор только с кабельным каналом, который есть лишь у пяти десяти процентов словацкого населения. Возможность работы с общедоступным телевидением нам еще надо обсудить с Континентальной лигой, потому что все очень заинтересованы в словацких матчах. Это влияет и на рекламу если бы матчи транслировались на общедоступном канале, нам было бы проще беседовать с рекламными партнерами.
He says he believes that Slovan's games in the KHL this season are only available on TV for 5% to 10% of Slovak households. That's sad! And he says he'd like to change that for next season, so that Slovan's KHL games are shown on a generally available TV channel. I wonder how he's going to go about it.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Just wanted to comment on the fact that the billboard looks pretty awesome

Quote:
He says he believes that Slovan's games in the KHL this season are only available on TV for 5% to 10% of Slovak households. That's sad! And he says he'd like to change that for next season, so that Slovan's KHL games are shown on a generally available TV channel. I wonder how he's going to go about it.
I don't know if you've mentioned it before, but does a greater majority of people get the Slovak Extraliga games? I checked huste.tv a bit under a year ago, and saw that you could watch all games for free. So I was pretty impressed by that, but I wasn't sure whether that's only an online service or whether it's connected to a particular TV channel.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
does a greater majority of people get the Slovak Extraliga games?
Nope, the same cable TV company (Sport TV) that's only available for 5% to 10% of Slovak households also bought the rights for Slovakia's top hockey league. It's already happened this season that their 2 channels, Sport 1 and Sport 2, were showing a Slovak hockey league game and a Slovan KHL game at the same time (at least partly overlapping). Only the Slovak national hockey team's games are still shown on the free state TV channel. Olympic hockey in Sochi was bought by a Slovak commercial TV channel, but at least it's free and generally available.

huste.sk only offers online broadcasts, and it's an online outlet of one of the traditional commercial TV stations. They have recently started charging for their content. I think the price for a Slovan home game in the KHL was €0.80, but now there is a KHL "blackout" at huste.sk because Sport TV shows Slovan's home games on traditional cable TV, even though the availability of those channels is very low.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:32 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
fine but Krajci is not the right person who should advocate Slovan. He will finnish his Slovan mission sooner than later.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Faterson

Is that a rumour, or is there any source? Krejč already left once, and then they practically begged him to return. And, by "sooner" do you mean as early as next season? Like he says in the interview, you need to start preparing the following season in January or February, so if he was about to leave Slovan, there should already be a successor in the wings right now. I haven't heard about any such person. Perhaps you will enlighten me.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:34 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Is that a rumour, or is there any source? Krejč already left once, and then they practically begged him to return. And, by "sooner" do you mean as early as next season? Like he says in the interview, you need to start preparing the following season in January or February, so if he was about to leave Slovan, there should already be a successor in the wings right now. I haven't heard about any such person. Perhaps you will enlighten me.
no, just my opinion. He is co-owner of Slovan as I know. And he is not ho powerfull/wealthy to be able to own/lead the club. One day he will have to sell his share, new owner will bring new GM. All story. And the most important thing, Krejci does (did) not want Slovan to play KHL.

"not ho powerfull/wealthy" must be compared to russian oligarchs (companies) not slovak one.

I can imagine that some corporation (lets say MOL or Sberbank/Volksbansk etc) would like to invest into Slovan but will want share in club...and wants new GM... so Krejci would have to sell his own share and left GM. Siroky has more power than Krejci as I can see.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:42 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
о телевизионных трансляциях: у нас пока подписан договор только с кабельным каналом, который есть лишь у пяти – десяти процентов словацкого населения.
dont know if this is bad translation or Krajci does not know how KHL works. Slovan as club did not sign any tv contract, KHL Marketing did. That is a big difference.

KHL will made a few changes, so he can discuss this idea.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Faterson

Quote:
And the most important thing, Krejci does (did) not want Slovan to play KHL.
He didn't in the past, but I'm sure now he does. I see no indication he's going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:50 AM
kajoo

Quote:
He didn't in the past, but I'm sure now he does. I see no indication he's going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Im no insider at all, not even going to pretend to be one but happened to be in VIP zone accidentally last week, with friends of mine who invited me for one game as a B-day gift. While enjoying this views I had opportunity listen discussion of one dude (big dog in a strong Co.) who had a word with MK that day about sponsorship for next season. I doubt MK would care about next seasons sponsorship had he thought of leaving. Last but not least, had MK thought about leaving, rumour mill would be already running full force.

Last edited by kajoo: 11-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Faterson

Aaah, the poor folks in VIP zones... I just couldn't properly enjoy a live hockey game while being seated so far away from the rink.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Aaah, the poor folks in VIP zones... I just couldn't properly enjoy a live hockey game while being seated so far away from the rink.
I hoped you die of jealousy

friends of mine got drunk, even heard singing from neighbouring sky box. Plus these peeps tools told me I need to wear suit because its VIP, VIP I said, for those who didnt understand, only very important persons coming there, and all the noble people could get insulted had someone wore something else than suit. So I took my best suit for a hockey game while everyone else wore jeans and jerseys

Last edited by kajoo: 11-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old
11-26-2012, 11:14 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Nobody is saying about next season ... lets talkt this 5 years later.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Nobody is saying about next season ... lets talkt this 5 years later.
5 years sounds like eternity to me.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Faterson

Yesterday, I wrote to khl.ru support, asking them if they do not consider updating their prices for season-long streaming subscriptions. I mean, it's almost December, and it makes no sense that after more than half of the regular season is over, subscribing to streams from all games still costs around €111 and subscribing to one team's games still costs about €37. It would be appropriate to cut these prices by half at this point of the season. I would instantly buy the €55 subscription for the rest of the season. But paying €111 in early December just seems too steep, especially because the regular season will be over pretty soon, in mid-February. I can't imagine many customers will be buying those season-long subscriptions in December and January at those full-season prices.

Today, I received the reply from khl.ru support that they are not currently considering reducing the prices. But neither do they rule out that a price reduction may occur later on.

For comparison, I paid €122 a year ago for the entire 2011/12 NHL season via NHL GameCenter online streams (live broadcasts and full-length recordings of all games). Also compared to the NHL, a monthly KHL streaming subscription seems unreasonably expensive: it's around €24, whereas you could buy the same thing from the NHL for only about €15 per month.

On the other hand, KHL streaming offers more subscription options than the NHL.
To sum up (prices in € are approximate):
  • subscribing to all games by all teams all season long (€111 per season)
  • subscribing to all games of a particular team (€37 per season)
  • subscribing to individual games (€1.22 per game)
  • subscribing to all games by all teams for 1 month (€24 per month)
  • subscribing to any and all content for 24 hours (€1.97 per day)
  • watching the full recording of a game from the archive (€0.72 per game)
  • subscribing just to the games archive for 1 month (full recordings of games, but no live broadcasts, at €7.35 per month)
What they need to do is to make the streaming subscription webage available in English (and perhaps additional languages) as well, and to introduce some international payment options like PayPal (because Yandex Dengi, while it does work for non-American foreigners, only has a Russian website, too).

Last edited by Faterson: 11-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM
kajoo

at least they wrote back. Btw 1,22/game sounds a good deal to me, will give it a try if there will be no other option (sport1/huste/etc).

Old
11-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Faterson

There'll be no Slovan games at huste.sk in November and December, because all of Slovan's home games in those months will be shown live on either Sport 1 or Sport 2. Mostly Sport 2, unfortunately, while Sport 1 usually just shows full-length repeats of Slovan games later in the evening. The Slovan vs. Lokomotiv game last Sunday was very much an exception in this regard.

As to the €1.22 per game khl.ru stream, its quality varies. The last one I watched, Torpedo vs. Slovan, was OK in terms of picture quality, but there was neither an announcer, nor any time-keeping on the screen, which was frustrating.

On the other hand, games that are streamed in HD, like this one (it was, in fact, streamed for free as a promotional stunt), Dynamo Moscow vs. Avangard:

http://video.khl.ru/events/12328
(see more links to full-length archived KHL games at http://video.khl.ru/khl/18 )

... are of terrific quality, and I'm sure they'll look great when I'll be streaming them to my 46-inch TV screen if a Slovan game is ever streamed in HD one day. The khl.ru streams are non-Flash, so they also work on mobile phones and tablets, which is great.

PS: Vorky is thinking of writing an article/instruction in Slovak for his site about how to purchase streams from khl.ru, for those who can't read Russian (which is most young Slovaks nowadays). The process is definitely tricky (dealt with in another thread on this board), but good luck, kajoo, if you're willing to try!

Old
11-27-2012, 01:06 PM
kajoo

acc. http://www.evysledky.com/hokej/ tomorrows game @ Khabarovsk will be streamed by bwin on 9,00 cet. I have account on bwin so I still can use their miniature stream if I will not make it through khl.ru web.

vorky, I applaud your effort mate :thumbsup:

Old
11-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Faterson

You will need to set up a new Yandex Dengi account at https://money.yandex.ru

To associate your credit or debit card with your Yandex Dengi account, you will likely need to call your bank's hotline, so allow some time well before the game begins to get set up.

(Yandex's verification is that they will charge your card a very small, undisclosed "test" amount in roubles. You will need to enter that amount, in roubles, into a form on Yandex's webpage. The amount in roubles is not always shown on Slovak Internet banking sites, because it usually gets converted to € there. For this reason, I and others had to call our banks' hotlines to find out what the amount in roubles was.)

Old
11-27-2012, 03:38 PM
kajoo

Quote:
You will need to set up a new Yandex Dengi account at https://money.yandex.ru

To associate your credit or debit card with your Yandex Dengi account, you will likely need to call your bank's hotline, so allow some time well before the game begins to get set up.

(Yandex's verification is that they will charge your card a very small, undisclosed "test" amount in roubles. You will need to enter that amount, in roubles, into a form on Yandex's webpage. The amount in roubles is not always shown on Slovak Internet banking sites, because it usually gets converted to there. For this reason, I and others had to call our banks' hotlines to find out what the amount in roubles was.)
geez, and I naively believed all I need to do is 2-3 clicks and the trick is done

Old
11-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Faterson

If that was PayPal... yes. But because you first need to set up a Yandex Dengi account and associate it with your credit or debit card, there are quite a few steps you need to do beforehand. Luckily, you only need to do them once, and then buying more hockey broadcasts in future is a breeze.

If you already have a PayPal account and have a card associated with it, you more or less know what to expect from the Yandex Dengi account setup. Yandex Dengi is just a Russian analogy to PayPal, and especially if you understand Russian, the instructions during account setup are easy to follow.

You start at https://money.yandex.ru by clicking the big orange button (step no. 1). After you complete step no. 1, you then click the Visa/MasterCard logo under no. 2 to associate your card with Yandex. Good luck tomorrow!

Old
11-27-2012, 05:01 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Is it needed to call banks hotline or I can use this . It would be easier for fans than to call to bank

btw your explanation a few weeks ago http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=18

Old
11-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Faterson

Thanks for that older link; I couldn't find it myself.

Quote:
Is it needed to call banks hotline or I can use this . It would be easier for fans than to call to bank
Well, you can make a guess based on the exchange rate, or a few guesses, but if you guess incorrectly too many times, I'm afraid Yandex might interpret it as someone trying to hack your credit/debit card, and block your account... For me, it was just simpler to call my bank's hotline to find out the exact amount in roubles. The thing is, the amount withdrawn as a test is so small (I forget what exactly it was or me) that it translates to something like €0.02 or €0.03, which could be quite a few various figures when converted back into roubles using the official exchange rate. Some people might see the amount in roubles directly in their Internet banking, but I didn't (I'm with Zuno).