HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
  #351
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Hey Guys,

Have been away for awhile, and hopefully I am back to stay. LOL

Only saw a few GTHL games this year and clearly, the Russian from Jr. Cdns, is ahead of all prospects. He should go top 2 or 3, if he is eligible for the OHL draft? Branch will have to circumvent the system to allow him to be eligible.

Saw the Marlies and Rebels game yesterday, and OH BOY, was that bad hockey. If you compare the same 2 teams from last year, you would think that this year's clubs are Double A. Wow. The 2 best players mentioned- Strome and Stephens, did nothing really, and wow, if they are some of the best that the GTHL has to offer, then the draft will be very weak.

Hopefully they turn it up in the new year.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
11-14-2012, 11:10 PM
  #352
KillerHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Thanks scout97

I agree with your accesment of #9 I was impressed with his speed and skill to. I found he finished his checks all the time. What I liked was he didn't care if you we're 5' to 6' he finished.

I also liked Kings #2 defencemen he plays reall hard not bad with the puck but could improve on that.

KillerHockey is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 10:28 AM
  #353
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey Guys,

Have been away for awhile, and hopefully I am back to stay. LOL

Only saw a few GTHL games this year and clearly, the Russian from Jr. Cdns, is ahead of all prospects. He should go top 2 or 3, if he is eligible for the OHL draft? Branch will have to circumvent the system to allow him to be eligible.

Saw the Marlies and Rebels game yesterday, and OH BOY, was that bad hockey. If you compare the same 2 teams from last year, you would think that this year's clubs are Double A. Wow. The 2 best players mentioned- Strome and Stephens, did nothing really, and wow, if they are some of the best that the GTHL has to offer, then the draft will be very weak.

Hopefully they turn it up in the new year.
I feel the difference from last year to this year has definately been the depth of both teams. Fabbri and Bourne had a great supporting cast, as did Ho-Sang and McDavid. Stephens and Strome are virtually out their by themselves. Although they both bring different things to the draft, I feel they will both be able to play next year. Zeppieri would be an effective player on the wing with a strong centremen but that seems to be missing from the Rebels. In the game there was realistically maybe 3 first round players compared to last year when there was atleast 10 off both teams. A strong indication of the depth of the draft.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
  #354
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
I feel the difference from last year to this year has definately been the depth of both teams. Fabbri and Bourne had a great supporting cast, as did Ho-Sang and McDavid. Stephens and Strome are virtually out their by themselves. Although they both bring different things to the draft, I feel they will both be able to play next year. Zeppieri would be an effective player on the wing with a strong centremen but that seems to be missing from the Rebels. In the game there was realistically maybe 3 first round players compared to last year when there was atleast 10 off both teams. A strong indication of the depth of the draft.
Very true. 96 Marlies + Rebels look like pro teams compared to the 97's.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 12:44 PM
  #355
goldtendy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Who are the top players from team NOHA? Any players that shouldn't be on that team? Or players from the north that didn't make the team that should have?

goldtendy is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 09:38 PM
  #356
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Took in my first game of the year tonight, Elgin beat London 2-1 in a really good game.

Konecny surpassed my expectations, what a player. He had a shadow all night but that didn't stop him from making an impact on just about every single shift. Hard hitter, great shot, speed, skill, and very creative.

I thought the goaltender Fazio for Elgin looked solid. Big and athletic.

Worrad buried a nice goal. Coyle and Mayo looked like solid players.

White was impressive on defense for London, scored a goal on a nice shot from the point.

Szypula started slow but really started to turn it up late in the game. There's definitely areas in his game that need to be improved, but really like his offensive skillset.

These names have all been mentioned in this thread but since it was my first viewing I thought I would share my thoughts. Thanks as always for all the regular contributors in this thread every year!

doogie24 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
  #357
puckaddict17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
As expected and as confirmed by The Scouting Report, Domenic Procopio has been a good and timely addition to a very good Rebels team. He has added 3 goals in his 4 games played with his new team. Steve Ewing smartly not wanting to mess with team chemistry has eased Procopio into his lineup. With injuries to strong players such as Zeppieri and Latina the addition of Procopio has been timely. Look for him to gel further with this team in the upcoming silver stick tourney.

Mitchell Marner. Marner is a small energy player who is able to get in and out of tight spaces quickly. He sees the ice well and has very good hands which are crafty. He has the offensive ability to be a factor in the game but not the size. We will continue to watch how he develops.


Scouted on October 12-14, 2012 @ London Green & Gold Tourney
Konecny is quickly becoming a favorite of ours to claim the top spot in the upcoming OHL Priority Draft. He doesn't have the size of some other top players but what he does have is a bigger heart.* He plays a brash gam
e against every player, big or small.* He brings a compete level to the ice we rarely see anymore.* He posses a great sense for the play, where he can perceive everything happening around him and evaluate what the best play is in a quick and efficient manner.* He has elite skill at both ends of the ice.* His hands are excellent and his skating allows him to gain position and jump into open areas very quickly. He leads by example on the ice and never backs down from laying a hit or backing up a teammate. Look for him to fight for that #1 selection next spring and be a first round pick in the NHL in a couple seasons.

puckaddict17 is offline  
Old
11-16-2012, 11:05 PM
  #358
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
I feel the difference from last year to this year has definately been the depth of both teams. Fabbri and Bourne had a great supporting cast, as did Ho-Sang and McDavid. Stephens and Strome are virtually out their by themselves. Although they both bring different things to the draft, I feel they will both be able to play next year. Zeppieri would be an effective player on the wing with a strong centremen but that seems to be missing from the Rebels. In the game there was realistically maybe 3 first round players compared to last year when there was atleast 10 off both teams. A strong indication of the depth of the draft.
Depth and quality of top end players are night and day. Stephens and Strome were ineffective against a weak Rebels team. Guys like Fabbri, McDavid and Bennett chewed up weak teams last year.

I totally disagree with your evaluation of Zeppieri. He is the Captain, but not because of his skill or play. He was slow out there and seemed lost. Rebels have some smaller skilled players, but no go to guys.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
11-19-2012, 12:28 AM
  #359
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Mitchell Stephens needs to bring some urgency to his game and give it every shift, he is very inconsistent. Stephens has already done enough in the last few years to be a First Round Pick in the OHL draft. Some nights he looks like just another guy. Someone u barely notice. Than he accelerates and your like wow who is that kid...than he just sits back and disappears. Some of his assets are best in the class. Stephens has OHL speed and acceleration. His acceleration is his best asset from my view. The release on his shot is also extremely good. For long stretches of games he seems to just completely disappear and doesnt try to impose his will. Lots of extremes to his game right now. If Stephens brings it every shift, to me he is better than his team-mate Strome who is more well rounded and more consistent. Strome for those reasons might get drafted before Stephens. Id personally would take Stephens ahead of Strome and work with him on conditioning and consistancy.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-19-2012, 01:57 AM
  #360
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Whitby Silver Sticks Nov 22-25

Division A
Eastern Ontario Wild
Huron Perth Lakers
Mississauga Senators
Sault Ste Marie Thunder
Whitby Wildcats

DIV."B"
Detroit Compuware
Elgin Middlesex Chiefs
Hamilton Jr Bulldogs
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Jr Canadiens

DIV."C"
London Jr Knights
Mississauga Rebels
Nickel City Sons
Ottawa Valley Titans
South Central Coyotes
Southern Tier Admirals

DIV."D"
Brampton Battalion
Ottawa Jr 67's
Sun County Panthers
Toronto Marlboros
York Simcoe Express

DIV."E"
Barrie Colts
Edmonton SSAC Bulldogs
Kingston Jr Canadians
Oakville Rangers
Toronto Red Wings
Toronto Titans

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-19-2012, 08:04 AM
  #361
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mitchell Stephens needs to bring some urgency to his game and give it every shift, he is very inconsistent. Stephens has already done enough in the last few years to be a First Round Pick in the OHL draft. Some nights he looks like just another guy. Someone u barely notice. Than he accelerates and your like wow who is that kid...than he just sits back and disappears. Some of his assets are best in the class. Stephens has OHL speed and acceleration. His acceleration is his best asset from my view. The release on his shot is also extremely good. For long stretches of games he seems to just completely disappear and doesnt try to impose his will. Lots of extremes to his game right now. If Stephens brings it every shift, to me he is better than his team-mate Strome who is more well rounded and more consistent. Strome for those reasons might get drafted before Stephens. Id personally would take Stephens ahead of Strome and work with him on conditioning and consistancy.
Good analogy. That is the clear difference between Stephens and Konecney. Konecney brings it every shift where Stephens seems to play more of a defensive role and sits back to much. Needs a strong coaches message. Will make a difference for top 5 or top 10

wingman22 is offline  
Old
11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
  #362
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mitchell Stephens needs to bring some urgency to his game and give it every shift, he is very inconsistent. Stephens has already done enough in the last few years to be a First Round Pick in the OHL draft. Some nights he looks like just another guy. Someone u barely notice. Than he accelerates and your like wow who is that kid...than he just sits back and disappears. Some of his assets are best in the class. Stephens has OHL speed and acceleration. His acceleration is his best asset from my view. The release on his shot is also extremely good. For long stretches of games he seems to just completely disappear and doesnt try to impose his will. Lots of extremes to his game right now. If Stephens brings it every shift, to me he is better than his team-mate Strome who is more well rounded and more consistent. Strome for those reasons might get drafted before Stephens. Id personally would take Stephens ahead of Strome and work with him on conditioning and consistancy.
A lot of truth here, ML979 you are right on. Personally I like Strome better now. Last year, preferred Stephens. When Stephens played up he looked like he was a solid part of a superteam. This year doesn't always impress or even show up.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
  #363
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
A lot of truth here, ML979 you are right on. Personally I like Strome better now. Last year, preferred Stephens. When Stephens played up he looked like he was a solid part of a superteam. This year doesn't always impress or even show up.
Both will have a chance to play at the next level, each bringing different attributes. With the games I have seen both are used in different situations with Strome getting PP time and playing with skilled and capable linemates. Stephens used in what appears to be a defensive role with two north / south players. It will be up to each team on their selection to make the right fit. Will either of them be in top 5 ? It will become clearer at Silverstick this weekend. Not many teams have 2 top forwards.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:36 PM
  #364
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Spent the day at the Silver Stick. Here are some players that stuck out.

Elgin Middlesex

Travis Konecny (sp?)

This guy is fantastic. World class speed, great shot, incredible release. Was far and away the best player I saw today. Dare I say he reminds me a bit of McDavid. Doesn't have his hockey IQ, but the speed is on par with McDavid. Highly impressed. Can't see this guy not being at least a top 5 pick.

Oakville

Matt Spencer

Great skater, great instincts, heady player.

Kyle Copabianco

Makes a great first pass. Very calm under pressure. Great skater. Good PP QB.

Henley

Powerful skater (somewhat awkward stride, but powerful). Makes a great first pass. Keeps forwards honest when coming down on him.

Marlies

De Farias

Excellent skater. Seemed like he wasn't really trying. Plays a very relaxed game.

Stephens

Great wheels. Tremendous work ethic. Punishing checker.

Southern Tier

#97

Big body that really uses his skating and long stride to his advantage. Lugged the puck around throughout the game.

Whitby

#61

Good size, good skater, good with the puck. All facets of his game seemed to be in place.

The '97's don't seem to be as strong at the '96's, but there's some great hockey players here. Really looking forward to seeing Sean Day tomorrow and hearing others thoughts on the Silver Stick.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 10:55 PM
  #365
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Thanks Garyboy for that. Your going to have to miss the OHL playoffs to get a shot at Konecny. Best player Ive seen in Ontario.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
  #366
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Thanks Garyboy for that. Your going to have to miss the OHL playoffs to get a shot at Konecny. Best player Ive seen in Ontario.
My pleasure. Konecny is a special talent. The Compuware/Elgin Middlesex game should be great tomorrow afternoon.

Speaking of Compuware, underage defenseman Sean Day is scary good. Not exaggerating when I say he skates like an NHL'er. Very Paul Coffey-esque. He just glides and is able to get from end-to-end with complete ease. Playing a year up, yet plas so nonchalant. It's almost as if he's playing shinny. As a result he does tend to hold onto the puck too long from time to time, but the skill set is incredible. Made two gorgeous rushes against the Jr Canadians. One resulted in dekeing the goalie and just putting it wide, the other had him blow by the defensemen and beat the goalie for a goal. Most of the talk in the arena seems to be about him, and for good reason. Will be interesting to see if he tries to get exceptional player status. He's more impressive than Ekblad was at the same age, I can tell you that much.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:32 PM
  #367
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Both will have a chance to play at the next level, each bringing different attributes. With the games I have seen both are used in different situations with Strome getting PP time and playing with skilled and capable linemates. Stephens used in what appears to be a defensive role with two north / south players. It will be up to each team on their selection to make the right fit. Will either of them be in top 5 ? It will become clearer at Silverstick this weekend. Not many teams have 2 top forwards.
Saw last 2 days at Silver Stick and Marlies played well. Supporting cast helping out alot. Stephens and Strome are good players and first rounders, but are a class behind the others in the draft.

London and Elgin impressed incredibly. Oakville is an all star team, but doesnt have any true superstar like Konecny.

To date, best players I have seen are (not including US teams), Konecny, Crouse , Coyle, Fox, Szypula, White, vande Sompel, Henley, Mckenzie, MacArthur, Speers, Villeneuve. Korostolev would be consensus #1 if he were eligible for the OHL draft.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:36 PM
  #368
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
My pleasure. Konecny is a special talent. The Compuware/Elgin Middlesex game should be great tomorrow afternoon.

Speaking of Compuware, underage defenseman Sean Day is scary good. Not exaggerating when I say he skates like an NHL'er. Very Paul Coffey-esque. He just glides and is able to get from end-to-end with complete ease. Playing a year up, yet plas so nonchalant. It's almost as if he's playing shinny. As a result he does tend to hold onto the puck too long from time to time, but the skill set is incredible. Made two gorgeous rushes against the Jr Canadians. One resulted in dekeing the goalie and just putting it wide, the other had him blow by the defensemen and beat the goalie for a goal. Most of the talk in the arena seems to be about him, and for good reason. Will be interesting to see if he tries to get exceptional player status. He's more impressive than Ekblad was at the same age, I can tell you that much.
Best skater I have seen in years. He does it so effortlessley. Has size, and good hands. Only knock on him, is that he does hold on to puck too long, and in Hamilton game , he gave away puck too many times. It seems like he may be too cocky out there, and may need to be grounded a bit. If he can control his ego, he will almost definitely get Exceptional Status, given his size and talent.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:39 PM
  #369
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Does anyone know where Daniel Sprong is playing? I remember hearing from a few of you in-the-know guys that he was going to play for Oakville this season, but he's not at the Silver Stick nor is he on their roster in the program. Was looking forward to seeing him, but no such luck.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:41 PM
  #370
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Does anyone know where Daniel Sprong is playing? I remember hearing from a few of you in-the-know guys that he was going to play for Oakville this season, but he's not at the Silver Stick nor is he on their roster in the program. Was looking forward to seeing him, but no such luck.
Not in the Silver Stick program/roster for Oakville??

chewerjones is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:50 PM
  #371
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Just did some google sleuthing and it appears Sprong is playing Midget hockey in Quebec for the Lac St Louis Lions.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 09:29 AM
  #372
zaluty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
How is Luchuk from Kingston doing?

zaluty is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 12:04 PM
  #373
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Does anyone know where Daniel Sprong is playing? I remember hearing from a few of you in-the-know guys that he was going to play for Oakville this season, but he's not at the Silver Stick nor is he on their roster in the program. Was looking forward to seeing him, but no such luck.
Sprong is not a Canadian citizen, so he didn’t meet citizenship requirements to play midget AAA. Sprong plays Lac St.Louis Midget: Espoirs Tigers. He leads the Quebec Midget circuit in points right now. I think he is going to the QMJHL next year.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-24-2012, 04:57 PM
  #374
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
OMG. I think Elgin Middlesex is out of tourny. They may fall short by 1 spot, based on tie breaker rules. York Simcoe will get last spot???

Can someone confirm this?

I believe that the 5th goal they let in against Compuware, will send them packing.

It just shows that the tournament director should be fired. Loading up 3 solid teams in a few divisions, and giving Whitby an avg division is not fair to the kids. I am glad that Whitby didnt make it also.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
  #375
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
My pleasure. Konecny is a special talent. The Compuware/Elgin Middlesex game should be great tomorrow afternoon.

Speaking of Compuware, underage defenseman Sean Day is scary good. Not exaggerating when I say he skates like an NHL'er. Very Paul Coffey-esque. He just glides and is able to get from end-to-end with complete ease. Playing a year up, yet plas so nonchalant. It's almost as if he's playing shinny. As a result he does tend to hold onto the puck too long from time to time, but the skill set is incredible. Made two gorgeous rushes against the Jr Canadians. One resulted in dekeing the goalie and just putting it wide, the other had him blow by the defensemen and beat the goalie for a goal. Most of the talk in the arena seems to be about him, and for good reason. Will be interesting to see if he tries to get exceptional player status. He's more impressive than Ekblad was at the same age, I can tell you that much.
Absolutely beautiful skater. Easily the best skater I've seen at this level. What a great to watch. He makes skating look so easy. I cannot fathom how he's underage. Definitely a more impressive talent than Ekblad.

I was so glad I made the trip to Whitby to catch this player.


Last edited by dean youngblood82: 11-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
dean youngblood82 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.