HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The education of NHL players vs all other pro sports

Old
11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
bigguy13

vCash: 500
The education of NHL players vs all other pro sports

I have a question regarding our beloved NHL players vs other pro sports? What is the average education of the NHL? Would you consider it grade 12? and what do you think the average education of let say NFL? University degrees or in the NBA same? Its at least college in other pro sports.

The reason I ask, the tweets from the players in the NHL regarding the lockout seems to be childish and not professional. I am sick and tired of hearing the whining about Gary Bettman and the NHL Lockout, these players make millions of dollars with perks like not paying for travel or hotels or food etc.. with quite a few of the players that have no more than a grade 12 education, suck it up buttercup and take the deal given and lets play hockey!

SO ALL OF US WHO PAY YOUR SALARY CAN GET BACK TO WATCHING OUR FAVORITE SPORT

A DISGRUNTLED FAN

bigguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:03 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy13 View Post
I have a question regarding our beloved NHL players vs other pro sports? What is the average education of the NHL? Would you consider it grade 12? and what do you think the average education of let say NFL? University degrees or in the NBA same? Its at least college in other pro sports.

The reason I ask, the tweets from the players in the NHL regarding the lockout seems to be childish and not professional. I am sick and tired of hearing the whining about Gary Bettman and the NHL Lockout, these players make millions of dollars with perks like not paying for travel or hotels or food etc.. with quite a few of the players that have no more than a grade 12 education, suck it up buttercup and take the deal given and lets play hockey!

SO ALL OF US WHO PAY YOUR SALARY CAN GET BACK TO WATCHING OUR FAVORITE SPORT

A DISGRUNTLED FAN
I don't know what the average is. Did this question come about because of Paul Bissonnette and his tweets? The timing seems perfect.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:10 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

All the education in the world won't make someone stop being an *******. I'm not sure of the average education level of the NHL vs other leagues but I think there's more than a fair share of asshats in other leagues as well.

The correlation between education level and how people act in forums and twitter/facebook type social mediums probably isn't that high. Often people feel removed and somewhat immune sitting behind a computer screen so crap comes out in that seemingly informal environment that they wouldn't likely say in front of cameras and journalists.

Chalk it up to frustration and impatience... which we as fans are obviously feeling as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:11 PM
nullterm

I'd say only a minority of players in the NHL have actually gone the college/university route, like NCAA.

Mostly guys that have grade 12 while playing Jr, get drafted, then off to a career playing hockey.

Contrast to the NFL, who draft players from college/university teams.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Delicious Pancakes

NFL players get college educations. NBA players have to play at least one college season. MLB players it's a mixed bag. Just because they go to college/university though doesn't necessarily make them any wiser. Some NHL players have post secondary education to some degree but it's probably less than 20%.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:21 PM
molsonmuscle360

300 players that appeared in NHL games last year had a college education. Now that list I'm sure counts quite a few guys who played one game and never saw the ice again, and even the couple of teams that had to use college goalies as backups in a pinch.

The CHL however is very hard to nail down the stats for the number of players through there system that even graduate high school. My best friends father taught Jeff Friesen in grade 8 and said the guy could barely read and basically never came to school. Guys like that generally don't graduate high school on their own accord, a fair number of these guys probably get their diploma's the same way high end college football players in the states get their grades looked after.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Ogopogo*

The fact is, there are a lot of dumb mofos in the NHL. They can't even negotiate their own personal contracts - they get agents for that - and yet Fehr expects us to believe they are negotiating their own CBA. If that be true, why isn't a weekly case of Kraft Dinner per player and a copy of the latest NHL video game negotiated in the deal?

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 11-24-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:29 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The fact is, there are a lot of dumb mofos in the NHL. They can't even negotiate their own personal contracts - they get agents for that - and yet Fehr expects us to believe they are negotiating their own CBA. If that be true, why isn't a weekly case of Kraft Dinner per player and a copy of the latest NHL video game negotiated in the deal?
Having an agent mean they are dumb? Pretty much every pro athlete in any sport has an agent.

Having an agent is smart. You want someone experienced in negotiating with teams.

Signing your first pro contract potentially worth $1 million at 18/19 and not having any experience/knowledge with business negotiations or legal process would be dumb.

Especially considering that the team you sign with is a business entity looking out for it's own interests and profit.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:32 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
I don't know what the average is. Did this question come about because of Paul Bissonnette and his tweets? The timing seems perfect.
I'd say its about a 99.9999999% chance that that's why.

For the record, just because NFL players have degrees, it doesn't mean they're smart or even very educated (I'm certainly not saying that's the case for everyone)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:59 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Amusing article on some other dumb athletes from other sports...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/G...photo=30058085

...and some "interesting" quotes from sporting figures...

http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resource...ts-quotes.html

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 11-24-2012 at 03:05 AM.
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
300 players that appeared in NHL games last year had a college education. Now that list I'm sure counts quite a few guys who played one game and never saw the ice again, and even the couple of teams that had to use college goalies as backups in a pinch.

The CHL however is very hard to nail down the stats for the number of players through there system that even graduate high school. My best friends father taught Jeff Friesen in grade 8 and said the guy could barely read and basically never came to school. Guys like that generally don't graduate high school on their own accord, a fair number of these guys probably get their diploma's the same way high end college football players in the states get their grades looked after.
what, like community colleges, going for their GED's? The more this goes on, the more I hear, the more I'm convinced these athletes, hockey players that is, are the dumbest in all of pro sports. I mean that seriously. NFL'ers came together rather quickly and got a deal done. NBA, took roughly 3 months. Not a peep was heard from either the players or owners in those respective sports during their CBA talks. Sure there were the odd soundbite or two here or there from a disgruntled player but nothing to this level.

Base salary of an NHL player - least popular sport of the "Big 4" in North America, by far - is higher than that of a baseball, basketball or football player. Average salaries in the NHL are higher than they've ever been. Those 3 sports are significantly more popular than hockey to a vast majority of sports fans in the United States. They (the players) get the best of everything, and in many cases don't even have to pay for it. There have been 3 lockouts in less than 20 years in the NHL. You just look and read some of the comments from these players... hear what they're saying... it's disgraceful, embarrassing, laughable... really turning the casual fan off hockey and even the more hardcore fans. This is a joke. Yes I think it's all directly tied in with player intelligence/intellect. Hockey players are particularly dumb.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Ahem, just because some people did not go to college or university does not mean they iz dumb, kay?

But seriously how do you expect most athletes to get a degree when they are way too busy trying to make it onto a sports team. That's almost always a full time commitment. Lets not fool ourselves into believing that NFL players are smarter because they went to college. A lot of the star college athletes get a lot of leeway, leeway is in, "don't worry about showing up to class tomorrow i will give you an A, great game last night!"

I would judge them more on what they do once they have a prominent career and are no longer playing or have some summer months off to work on their studies. Since they can easily afford to go to a good post secondary school as money is no longer an issue.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Having an agent mean they are dumb? Pretty much every pro athlete in any sport has an agent.

Having an agent is smart. You want someone experienced in negotiating with teams.

Signing your first pro contract potentially worth $1 million at 18/19 and not having any experience/knowledge with business negotiations or legal process would be dumb.

Especially considering that the team you sign with is a business entity looking out for it's own interests and profit.
You missed my point. If they aren't going to negotiate something easy, like their own contract, how the hell are they going to negotiate a complex CBA? They aren't, it is more like "Uh...OK Don"

The ridiculous comments players like Prust and others have made along with the stupid "Puck Gary" hats show us the highschool level of intelligence we are dealing with for so many players.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:23 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
You missed my point. If they aren't going to negotiate something easy, like their own contract, how the hell are they going to negotiate a complex CBA? They aren't, it is more like "Uh...OK Don"

The ridiculous comments players like Prust and others have made along with the stupid "Puck Gary" hats show us the highschool level of intelligence we are dealing with for so many players.
you make it sound like a contract is as simple as "you play two years i give you 10 million". contracts, espicially pro sports ones are very thorough and complicated and have an agent who is experienced in these things is probably the smartest think you can do.

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
To put things in perspective. How many footballer, basketball players , and baseball players actually get their degress? I know that on the canadian side the percentage is a lot higher then in the stats. Many us uni force some players to turn pro because the closer they get to graduating they could be in a position to give a degree to someone who has not earned it. It is part of US collage that no one like talking about. I think guy flemming did a piece or his show looked at how many players actually graduate. A few years ago there was a small scandel one pack ten schook when a couple of players were expected to leave before their final year, but decide to stay for their fourth year and the school was not happy because they had what was described as soft grades and while schools want top sports teams, they do not want to give a degree to someone who has not earned it. There was the famous case of the footballer who earned a degree, but could not read or write

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

It's already been pointed out in this thread, but if there is one thing the internet has shown over the last 15 years is that the preconcieved notions of intelligence, maturity, and the correlation to education level and age are inherently false.

There are highly education stupid people, and immature 40 and 50 year olds all over the place, and vice versa.

Current CBA talks aren't beset by "stupid players" anymore than they ever have been either. The real issue is the emotional agenda that unifies them as a group with paranoid and hostile feelings towards the league, and they are likely suffering from a case of groupthink that is overriding rational thought through these proceedings.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Oi'll say!

Would a university that has a stadium with an 80,000+ capacity stadium ever fail their starting qb, thus making him ineligible for competition in the ncaa? Doubt it.

Is a bogus degree a nice little perk for an athlete whom you can't pay even $1? They will make millions of dollars for your university and surely there are other institutions out of the 100's of US colleges and universities that are willing to give him one if you don't.

Hell there are people who aren't even jocks who cheat their way through school.

I don't think a degree held by an athlete means squat, it's the most useless "stat" conceivable.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:20 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
As pointed out by a few. All because someone steps into a uni does not mean that they are getting a proper education.
I am on my blackberry so searching is limited. I know the actual graduation rate of athletes in uni is very low

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:25 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post

That implies they graduated with a degree. I can't see that being the case. 300 players who have taken SOME college education maybe...

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

What does their education have to do with their tweets or how much they think they should make? Bizarre...

Clearly the NFL players are forced to do the most college, so their tweets are typically very well thought out, often taking the form of a haiku. rofl...

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:35 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Your post is childish. How can the average education level of the NHL players be grade 12 when I'm not aware of a single one who didn't finish high school, and many of them go to college? You know what average means, right?

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Lewy

If you haven't figured it out yet, there are a lot of people out there that are dumb as hell. Some of these are bound to find their way into pro sports because it is one of the only avenues for them to succeed. That said I think that there are also many players who have great genes and are very intelligent. The main problem here I think is the culture surrounding high level hockey, and what it does to people starting from a very young age.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I don't think education has anything to do with it.

One thing I have been thinking about, is a lot of hockey players come from upper/middle class backgrounds. Lower class children are basically priced out of hockey. They might have a more 'entitled' perspective. Just a theory.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
NFL players get college educations. NBA players have to play at least one college season. MLB players it's a mixed bag. Just because they go to college/university though doesn't necessarily make them any wiser. Some NHL players have post secondary education to some degree but it's probably less than 20%.
Let's not confuse attending a few classes to be college eligible with having a legitimate education and getting a degree. If a guy is stupid but ultra talented, they'll find a way to keep him in college. A lot of these drafted NFL guys coming out of colleges are dumber than a sack of hammers.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Stoneman89

To answer the initial question, based on some of the comments by players during this strike, I would say about grade 4.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote