HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rakhshani to SJ

Old
11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
So why would it be any different in SJ? Who would he bump out? Minnesota obviously had a need for a guy like Spurgeon, and just because this scenario happened once recently involving your team doesn't mean it's bound to happen for every prospect facing the same challenge.
You missed my post, where I explained that SJ fans said they wanted to get younger and faster?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:40 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

And if the Sharks do that(get younger and faster), they can do a lot better than Rakshani.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:47 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You missed my post, where I explained that SJ fans said they wanted to get younger and faster?
And you missed his post, where he said that he wouldn't even contribute to the "young-and-fast" ideology if he was sitting in the AHL due to not knocking off anyone in the top-6.

Wilson can do better than Rakshani.

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
patrick

Speed

I'm an Isles fan and a DU fan but I think it's a stretch to call him fast. He has decent AHL wheels at best. Great hockey sense and good hands but not fast enough to excel in the NHL.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:30 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Haven't watched him play, but he sounds a lot like Ferriero so I'm not interested. Undersized player stuck in hockey limbo. Too skilled for the AHL but not skilled enough to maintain a spot in the NHL.
The Sharks let Ferriero go for nothing, I doubt they'd waste a draft pick on Rakhshani.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Spurgeon developed in juniors, while Rakhshani went to college.

And Shark fans have said they want to add youth and speed. Isles/Shark fans have discussed Grabner to SJ proposals, but that's not likely to happen, with the isles losing Parenteau's scoring and with Grabner's 2nd and 3rd yrs yrs being very team friendly. I thought Rakhshani to SJ was a trade that could benefit both teams and was realistic.

Rakhshani hasn't made the isles because he has not been able to bump any of the top 6 out of the way and he lacks the size/ grit the isles want in the bottom 6. That doesn't mean he doesn't have promise. It means that like Spurgeon, his way is blocked on the depth chart.
Spurgeon jumped to the NHL. Rakhshani has not. After college, he's spent two seasons in the AHL with a small cup of coffee in the NHL. A guy with his numbers and the promise you believe he has would have seen more action on the big club than that. Even if he's not unseating anyone, teams will bring guys up at the end of the year to see what they have. A club that isn't even going to do that for a kid shows little faith and value in him.

And please don't mention him in the same breath as Grabner. I've followed Rakhshani's career fairly well as he was once a favorite prospect of mine. He's got decent speed but he is not game-breaking like Grabner. And when the fans of the Sharks talk about adding speed, a lot of it is to their top six. However, none of those guys are guys I'd move for Rakhshani and anyone who would would be crazy. He's not a 3rd line player and the 4th line isn't going to help him any and that's the only spot he'd fit in on the Sharks right now.

You're kidding yourself if you believe it's just the depth chart stopping his ascension to the NHL. There's more to it than that. His lack of NHL experience in the past two seasons is very telling when a team like the Islanders won't even give the kid that let's see what we've got chance that they normally give kids at the end of the year when the season is essentially over.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:32 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Spurgeon jumped to the NHL. Rakhshani has not. After college, he's spent two seasons in the AHL with a small cup of coffee in the NHL. A guy with his numbers and the promise you believe he has would have seen more action on the big club than that. Even if he's not unseating anyone, teams will bring guys up at the end of the year to see what they have. A club that isn't even going to do that for a kid shows little faith and value in him.

And please don't mention him in the same breath as Grabner. I've followed Rakhshani's career fairly well as he was once a favorite prospect of mine. He's got decent speed but he is not game-breaking like Grabner. And when the fans of the Sharks talk about adding speed, a lot of it is to their top six. However, none of those guys are guys I'd move for Rakhshani and anyone who would would be crazy. He's not a 3rd line player and the 4th line isn't going to help him any and that's the only spot he'd fit in on the Sharks right now.

You're kidding yourself if you believe it's just the depth chart stopping his ascension to the NHL. There's more to it than that. His lack of NHL experience in the past two seasons is very telling when a team like the Islanders won't even give the kid that let's see what we've got chance that they normally give kids at the end of the year when the season is essentially over.
Nowhere have I compared Rhett to Grabner. I said SJ and NYI fans had discussed Grabner, but imo there is not a trade to be made there.

I also pointed out, that since SJ fans said they want to get younger and faster, that Rakhshani for a 3rd was more realistic. SJ fans aren't interested, so that's fine. It's a small trade proposal.

We'll simply disagree, about Rakhshani being blocked on the depth chart.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:35 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I'm an Isles fan and a DU fan but I think it's a stretch to call him fast. He has decent AHL wheels at best. Great hockey sense and good hands but not fast enough to excel in the NHL.
With bigger, more physical wingers coming to Bridgeport(Nino/Nelson/KK/Sundstrom/Perrson), I wasn't totally surprised to see him head to Europe.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Rakhshani might play that role, but how well? Again, if he struggled to land a permanent spot on the Islanders, then I think that question is answered.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:27 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:

While I do agree with pretty much everything you've posted, I wouldn't base a player's value(or lack thereof) on how he was handled/viewed in the Isles system. They haven't exactly been the best organization when it comes to player development and roster management.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Mattb124

The Shark's need more speed in the top 6, but that is more of a "who could the Shark's get in trade for Ryan Clowe" scenario, or something of that nature - a player with similar value but a different skill set. Trading a 3rd for a player who doesn't remotely compare to anyone in the Shark's current top 6 isn't the exercise. All that would do is bring us a redundant player and strip us of a 3rd that could be used to get a bonafide top 6 forward.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Nowhere have I compared Rhett to Grabner. I said SJ and NYI fans had discussed Grabner, but imo there is not a trade to be made there.

I also pointed out, that since SJ fans said they want to get younger and faster, that Rakhshani for a 3rd was more realistic. SJ fans aren't interested, so that's fine. It's a small trade proposal.

We'll simply disagree, about Rakhshani being blocked on the depth chart.
When you transition from Grabner to Rakhshani and think it's good enough for them, that's pretty much what you're doing. I'm not saying that you believe he's the same or close or anything. But when one side asks for this and you say nah but you can have this, it's in the same breath to me the way you were rationalizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
While I do agree with pretty much everything you've posted, I wouldn't base a player's value(or lack thereof) on how he was handled/viewed in the Isles system. They haven't exactly been the best organization when it comes to player development and roster management.
A player's value is rarely equal to how the team values him but how the team values him is all that really matters. Can he be a solid NHL regular? Yes, I believe so. Do the Islanders believe that? I really doubt it. What does that make his trade value? Probably not a 3rd round pick to anyone in this league. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:28 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
When you transition from Grabner to Rakhshani and think it's good enough for them, that's pretty much what you're doing. I'm not saying that you believe he's the same or close or anything. But when one side asks for this and you say nah but you can have this, it's in the same breath to me the way you were rationalizing it.

A player's value is rarely equal to how the team values him but how the team values him is all that really matters. Can he be a solid NHL regular? Yes, I believe so. Do the Islanders believe that? I really doubt it. What does that make his trade value? Probably not a 3rd round pick to anyone in this league. lol
Like I said, I agree with you.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
No, I didn't. I believe you missed my part where I asked who he would bump out. Maybe they want their NHL roster to get younger and faster, but Rakshani doesn't do anything to help that. So I'll reiterate, why would his situation be ANY different in SJ than on the Island? He'd be nothing more than a possible call-up. Doesn't matter what SJ wants, Rakhshani doesn't help em.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Isle and SJ fans don't agree on the value of Grabner. Heck, NYI fans can't find agreement among themselves over his value.

I choose to go by what I think is Snow's opinion based on that 5 yr extension:Grabner's a speedy, inconsistent scorer, who's dangerous on the pk and holding a contract that's dirt cheap the first 3 yrs.

Imo Rhett for a cheap return, like 3rd, is something Snow would do.
Grabner for a cheap or short term return, is not something Snow would do, which is why my OP was not Grabner to SJ.

I posted a link to an article, that says something like 12% of third round picks make it to the nhl. A 3rd is too high a price for an nhl ready RR? Alright. It's not like this would have been a major deal.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:47 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
No, I didn't. I believe you missed my part where I asked who he would bump out. Maybe they want their NHL roster to get younger and faster, but Rakshani doesn't do anything to help that. So I'll reiterate, why would his situation be ANY different in SJ than on the Island? He'd be nothing more than a possible call-up. Doesn't matter what SJ wants, Rakhshani doesn't help em.
And my response was that I did not know who would be bumped because I don't know who are SJ's soon to be ufas, how their salary structure looks.

Isles want more size and skill in their top 6. If they already had size, but lacked skill, Rhett would be a better fit. SJ could be in the opposite position.. having size, but wanting more skill and willing to add a small, skilled winger.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
And my response was that I did not know who would be bumped because I don't know who are SJ's soon to be ufas, how their salary structure looks.

Isles want more size and skill in their top 6. If they already had size, but lacked skill, Rhett would be a better fit. SJ could be in the opposite position.. having size, but wanting more skill and willing to add a small, skilled winger.
San Jose's system is built around puck possession, which generally favors larger players. We already have Pavelski and Couture in our top 6 who are smaller so I don't see management going smaller. Clowe is the only player in the top 6 that will be UFA in the near future, and he won't be replaced by someone like Rakhshani (at least I doubt it, and I further doubt that would come externally ith Wingels in the wings).

That said, if we are to target someone to bring into the top 6, it will not be a fringe NHL'er of the type who can't break into the Isle's core. San Jose already tried the Benn Ferriero experiment (similar sounding player, great AHL'er, decent skills but not enough for top 6 and not suited for bottom 6) has already run its course. Not only did he not make the grade, we presumably couldn't get anything in trade for him as we let him walk for nothing when his contract was up. The point here is that there is not a lot of value for players like that around the league, and definatly not a 3rd worth of value.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Dan-o16

Two questions:

- Is a young Kip Miller or Keith Aucoin worth a 3rd? (That's what's Rhett is).

I think people can legitimately disagree about this. A guy like this can help an organization out. Rhett has know-how, there's no doubt about that. He's not a top-6 NHL player, but he's also the kind of player who could play with a star in a pinch (i.e. injuries).

- How bored are we?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote