HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller to play in Europe (signs with Jyväskylä JYP)

Old
11-24-2012, 01:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Based on what?

in b4 La Tournee des Joueurs stats
Maybe you don't know what 'perhaps' means.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
per·haps/pərˈ(h)aps/
Adverb:
Used to express uncertainty or possibility: "perhaps I should have been frank with him".
Used when one does not wish to be too definite or assertive in the expression of an opinion.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Justinov

Highlights from todays match JYP (black)- Jokerit 5-1
(Eller 2G 1A): First and third goal, assist on the fourth.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/iltvsmliiga/...55394_v8.shtml

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Eller > Desharnais
Imagine a Cole Eller Pac line.. A steamroller of a line!!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Quote:
per·haps/pərˈ(h)aps/
Adverb:
Used to express uncertainty or possibility: "perhaps I should have been frank with him".
Used when one does not wish to be too definite or assertive in the expression of an opinion.
Ok. So your uncertainty or possibility that Eller is better than Desharnais both offensively and defensively is based on.. what?

Just a hunch?

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Based on what?

in b4 La Tournee des Joueurs stats
Hockey knowledge? I will say it again, Desharnais just cant survive to our center depth..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Ahmed

JYP vs Jokerit, 24.11.2012

Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Et le But

It's not a crazy or based on a hunch. Eller has better hands and is much stronger and faster than DD. He is a better puck handler and has a better shot.

DD has unreal vision while Eller has a tendency to force things. DD is also 3 years older than Eller. So saying "perhaps" Eller could be better now that he has a year more of experience to learn from and was actually able to spend the summer working out instead of recovering from an injury (which everyone seems to forget about when talking about Eller's season last year) isn't arbitrary.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:53 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Highlights from todays match JYP (black)- Jokerit 5-1
(Eller 2G 1A): First and third goal, assist on the fourth.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/iltvsmliiga/...55394_v8.shtml
Was that Karlsson that Eller undressed for his second goal?

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

If Eller is now better than Desharnais, that means that the habs are one of the top 3 best center team. 3 center who can produce over 50 points each. I don't think that Eller is better than Desharnais but if it's the case, the Habs can trade Plekanec for real good young players or draft picks.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:01 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Ok. So your uncertainty or possibility that Eller is better than Desharnais both offensively and defensively is based on.. what?

Just a hunch?
Based on the fact that I actually watched every game we played last year. Eller is already a better scorer, and while Desharnais is a fantastic playmaker, I think that Eller's playmaking or vision was never fully exploited due to the scrubs he had to play with. When he played with Andrei K, they did very well against decent opposition.

Add to that the fact that Eller is still a few (2-3) years younger than DD, so I think he's got more room to grow his game, both offensively and defensively. In my mind, there's a chance he's already better offensively than DD. I wouldn't put money on it, but there's a chance.

In the long run, though, I do think Eller turns into the more useful forward of the two.

Not sure why the thought that Eller might be better offensively than DD rustles your jimmies so bad.

I'm not one of those that has to put one down to elevate the other. I love DD's passing game and I think he's so smart that he can adjust to eventually playing wing on the top 2 lines.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:11 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
If Eller is now better than Desharnais, that means that the habs are one of the top 3 best center team. 3 center who can produce over 50 points each. I don't think that Eller is better than Desharnais but if it's the case, the Habs can trade Plekanec for real good young players or draft picks.
Why trade Plekanec and not Desharnais?

Old
11-24-2012, 02:20 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Well, he's talking about having a good return. For this to happen, you have to trade Pleky.

Just look in this thread, it's easy to understand why a 26 y.o. 5'6 center with one 60 points season won't get you much in return.

Even his own fans think you can't be a successful team if you have him on you top 2 lines, and that he can't play on the bottom 2. Basically, he'll need 2 or 3 more good seasons to have any value on the market.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Was that Karlsson that Eller undressed for his second goal?
Yes! What a mess.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:25 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
Well, he's talking about having a good return. For this to happen, you have to trade Pleky.

Just look in this thread, it's easy to understand why a 26 y.o. 5'6 center with one 60 points season won't get you much in return.

Even his own fans think you can't be a successful team if you have him on you top 2 lines, and that he can't play on the bottom 2. Basically, he'll need 2 or 3 more good seasons to have any value on the market.
No one needs to be traded. We can move Desharnais to the wing and keep Eller and Plekanec until Galchenyuk or Barkov are ready for the big show.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
...Not sure why the thought that Eller might be better offensively than DD rustles your jimmies so bad...
To point out the obvious, Desharnais had over twice as many points as Eller did last season. It can be argued that Desharnais was not so much the beneficiary of his linemates than the other way around. He really gets his wingers going. His vision is world class.

Eller is a work in progress. If he has anywhere near the hockey smarts of Desharnais, he should turn out well.

g

Sam I Am is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Imagine a Cole Eller Pac line.. A steamroller of a line!!
Would be great physically but they are all shooters and I doubt the chemistry would be there like it is with DD in the middle.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:34 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
To point out the obvious, Desharnais had over twice as many points as Eller did last season. It can be argued that Desharnais was not so much the beneficiary of his linemates than the other way around. He really gets his wingers going. His vision is world class.

Eller is a work in progress. If he has anywhere near the hockey smarts of Desharnais, he should turn out well.

g
1) More icetime
2) More offensive zone starts
3) Stronger linemates
4) Easier matchups

Old
11-24-2012, 02:34 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Based on the fact that I actually watched every game we played last year. Eller is already a better scorer, and while Desharnais is a fantastic playmaker, I think that Eller's playmaking or vision was never fully exploited due to the scrubs he had to play with. When he played with Andrei K, they did very well against decent opposition.

Add to that the fact that Eller is still a few (2-3) years younger than DD, so I think he's got more room to grow his game, both offensively and defensively. In my mind, there's a chance he's already better offensively than DD. I wouldn't put money on it, but there's a chance.

In the long run, though, I do think Eller turns into the more useful forward of the two.

Not sure why the thought that Eller might be better offensively than DD rustles your jimmies so bad.

I'm not one of those that has to put one down to elevate the other. I love DD's passing game and I think he's so smart that he can adjust to eventually playing wing on the top 2 lines.
I'm a DD fan, but mostly because I love the story that's behind him!

But I'm even more a Habs fan, so if Eller turns out to be better offensively than DD, well I'm even happier.

My only problem with Eller is that he tends to play alone. He keeps the puck way too long. That works great on large ices, but it's a real problem in the NHL. Now, I understand that you also saw this, but have a different vision on it :
Quote:
I think that Eller's playmaking or vision was never fully exploited due to the scrubs he had to play with
That's a possibility. But I think good players still look good when they are with scrubs, they only make scrubs look like scrubs. That's what I saw from DD when he was playing with Darche, Pyatt and others 2 years ago. He managed to get his points while playing under 10 mins a night.

That being said, I sure hope Eller turns out to be better than DD, cause we would have a very, very interesting player!

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Plekanec is 4 years older, has a bigger salary cap and has a better trade value beacause he is more establish and Desharnais is almost the only local talent on the team.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:41 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:

g
A points vs. points argument takes no context into account. DD also had 5x (260m+) the PP time that Eller did (52m). And Eller DID have one of the best production rates 5 on 4 on the team, so I think he could have closed that gap significantly had Dumb or Dumber given Gomez' PP time (almost 90 minutes over the year) to Eller.

Suffice it to say that I don't think that Eller was used competently last year. I did, however, like that he became one of the pillars on the PK and seemed to get better and better defensively as the year went on.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Finnadien

What's the story with the confrontation here in every single topic? Who cares if DD > Eller < DD?

We've got a fantastic pack of centers for years to come. Can finally afford to lose or trade some if needed, but don't finally need to grieve upon that part of the team.

To continue on the topic, fan reports say that Eller was THE dynamo of the game today. With Peverley and Perrin in the same line, that can't be a bad thing.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

g
Both Cole and Pacioretty actually scored goals at a faster rate without Desharnais than with him on ES. Their shots for/against ratios also were both better with Plekanec and Eller.

That might just be a fluke of the sample size, but I also looked at their shot rate, neither Cole nor Pacioretty improved compared to previously established levels.

By the numbers it looks far more that Pacioretty and Cole were having a monster season together than being at all dependent on who was centering them last year. Far to small a sample size to make any conclusions from, but if we go by the eye test, Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole was even more of a dominant line than Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole the rare occasions they played together.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Would be great physically but they are all shooters and I doubt the chemistry would be there like it is with DD in the middle.
I would prefer to see...

Eller - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta/Bourque

Eller can learn to drive the net and use his size like Cole and maybe become a stronger skater. Pleks can also help Eller round out his defensive game while giving Eller some prime minutes on the top line. Pac can stay with DD and Gionta/Bourque both drive the net hard so that will fill the void.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I would prefer to see...

Eller - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta/Bourque

Eller can learn to drive the net and use his size like Cole and maybe become a stronger skater. Pleks can also help Eller round out his defensive game while giving Eller some prime minutes on the top line. Pac can stay with DD and Gionta/Bourque both drive the net hard so that will fill the void.
Eller on the wing is pretty much a non-starter at this point.