HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov KHL Thread #2 | 19GP: 10G-8A-18PTS | Next Game: Sometime...

Old
11-23-2012, 04:53 PM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I have no problems with his Russian coach limiting his ice time and making Yakupov focus a bit more on his defensive game. After watching the Super Series, I see some tendencies in Yakupov's defensive game that needs alot more work. Better to try and fix these issues now. Its not like Cdoing so will make all his offensive talents go away. It will always be there. He's already proven he can score at this level. Making him a better defensive player will make him a better overall and complete player.
Yep, i have no problem with the coach limiting his icetime and sending him a message that he needs to be a better overall player to earn his icetime. I would be worried if the coach kept awarding him despite having some really bad habits.

It's pretty obvious that Yakupov is a very flawed player right now despite putting up some good numbers. He's a trainwreck defensively (maybe not trainwreck but needs A LOT of work), seems to get frustrated when he's not getting the puck and floats way too much, these habits won't fly in the NHL so it's a good thing that his coach is trying to mold him into a better overall player.

Last edited by CupofOil: 11-23-2012 at 05:01 PM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:58 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I haven't watched Yaks in the KHL so I can't comment, however in the SSS I don't agree with poeples assesment. He was not great defensivly in that mostly what he did was skate back hard then play his position. However I don't recal him leaving the zone early, I don't recall him haning out by the red line. I would say he was pretty average defensivly...... Thats just what I saw.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:56 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
Kokhlachev's goal wasn't the result of a hit, Yakupov was only pressuring him (which is good nonetheless).
And honestly, Yak IS a liability in his own zone no matter which way you cut it, and it's probably the reason why he's not getting much ice time in the KHL.
I said his lack of defensive abilities was overblown, it could obviously use work. He is still a young kid and will get better where he needs to for us to succeed that is the bottom line.

These are all just talking points to take us away from the lockout. Yak is the best first overall we could have hoped for and everyone knows that.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Actually I watched every game and while I am critical of his defensive game, I do recall some plays where he did make the right play on defense. I never said his defense was abysmal.. just that more often than not, he just didn't seem to be involved as he could have been. A few good plays yes, but most of the time he lacked the intensity. As for hitting, I'm not the one who argued that he didn't throw his body around. That was Yourface, not me.
Yah, quoted your post but was just making an argument in general.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Kokhlachev's goal wasn't the result of a hit, Yakupov was only pressuring him (which is good nonetheless).
And honestly, Yak IS a liability in his own zone no matter which way you cut it, and it's probably the reason why he's not getting much ice time in the KHL.
That's still a back check, even if he didn't have to hit him.
I'm not saying Yak is as defensively well rounded as RNH was at 18, I'm just saying his defensive play isn't as bad as everybody is saying. When his line was on the ice they weren't bleeding goals against. He finished +2 and scored 4 points, not too bad.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's still a back check, even if he didn't have to hit him.
I'm not saying Yak is as defensively well rounded as RNH was at 18, I'm just saying his defensive play isn't as bad as everybody is saying. When his line was on the ice they weren't bleeding goals against. He finished +2 and scored 4 points, not too bad.
Yeah, he wasn't bad by any means (just a tad underwhelming). I'm just saying his defensive game needs a lot of work for him to be trusted upon and succeed at the next level.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
I have heard he threw a few hits in the OHL quite a few times (including the one breaking the glass), but I can only comment on what I've seen and frankly, I've never seen him play in the OHL. I only described what I've seen of him this year, and honestly, I don't know how anyone can disagree with my assessment.
So you haven't seen Yakupov play in the OHL or the KHL? When have you seen him play? Just the Super Series?

Yakupov isn't going to be banging bodies like crazy, but he likes to hit and he doesn't shy away from physical contact. When he's in the NHL I'm sure he'll be laying out guys that are in his weight class, at least from time to time. That's not his game though. Yakupov needs to be focusing on scoring goals more than anything, that's his strength.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
So you haven't seen Yakupov play in the OHL or the KHL? When have you seen him play? Just the Super Series?

Yakupov isn't going to be banging bodies like crazy, but he likes to hit and he doesn't shy away from physical contact. When he's in the NHL I'm sure he'll be laying out guys that are in his weight class, at least from time to time. That's not his game though. Yakupov needs to be focusing on scoring goals more than anything, that's his strength.
What? I've watched most of his games in the KHL this year, plus 5 SSS games.

I do agree he doesn't have to hit a lot to be effective.
BUT the guy just hasn't been engaging in physical contact at all this year though. I noticed even in the offensive zone, he NEVER engages in battles along the boards. His play without the puck is sorely lacking, there's no doubt about it.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
What? I've watched most of his games in the KHL this year, plus 5 SSS games.

I do agree he doesn't have to hit a lot to be effective.
BUT the guy just hasn't been engaging in physical contact at all this year though. I noticed even in the offensive zone, he NEVER engages in battles along the boards. His play without the puck is sorely lacking, there's no doubt about it.
Given that axe you appear to be grinding, I'm thinking you haven't seen as much as you claim, or even if you have seen it, you haven't absorbed it.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:42 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Given that axe you appear to be grinding, I'm thinking you haven't seen as much as you claim, or even if you have seen it, you haven't absorbed it.
Whatever man, just keep seeing what you wanna see....

Old
11-24-2012, 01:59 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Personally, I'm going to continue daydreaming about the infallibility of the "famous 5" on the Oilers and look past any of their possible deficiencies until the NHL actually resumes (if it ever happens) again.

Until then... it's sunshine, rainbows and lollipops from all 5 of them.

It's all we have left... it's all we have.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:04 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
A lot of people in this thread appear to view responsible defensive play and elite goal scoring as equal things. They aren't. They aren't even close.

Only a handful of people in the world can bury a puck like this kid. None of them are in danger of winning a Selke.

If you want to win, you deploy him in the offensive zone. His ability to back check is immaterial at this point in his career.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:07 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
A lot of people in this thread appear to view responsible defensive play and elite goal scoring as equal things. They aren't. They aren't even close.

Only a handful of people in the world can bury a puck like this kid. None of them are in danger of winning a Selke.

If you want to win, you deploy him in the offensive zone. His ability to back check is immaterial at this point in his career.
Exactly. Im happy to let the much less talented players handle the defense.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Qrispy

So he's a bit of a floater. Oh well. I expect Yak to get a lot of breakaways in the NHL, like Hall, but actually scoring on them lol.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:51 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I think maybe we (some of us anyway) are suffering a little bit of "Omarkitis" when we view the Oilers prospects.

We want a flashy player like Yak to have defensive awareness and not just be completely one-dimensional player who ends up busting and playing the rest of his career overseas.

Fortunately Yak has some insanely good offensive abilities that very few can match (and that he's likely to still improve upon as well)... so expecting him to be a Pavel Datsyuk type of two-way player at this stage of his NHL career (which actually hasn't even started yet) is being far far too premature.

Let him at least play in the NHL before we judge all his inadequacies at that level. Even Omark was allowed to hang himself on the Oilers... the lynching squad wasn't on the scene until he had at least a partial season under his belt... a 19 year old Yak deserves at least as much.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:46 AM
T-Funk

floaters who don't score goals = bad

floaters who are damn good at scoring goals = good

when is the last time the Oilers had the second one?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Good coaches play to their player's strengths and put them in positions to succeed.

You want Stamkos to kill penalties? Get some third line time and learn how to backcheck? Or do you want him on the pp one-timing bombs into the back of the net?

You dont bring Clydesdale's to the race track and you dont hook your Thoroughbred up to a plow and put him out in the field.

On another note, does anyone think we could be in danger of losing Yakupov to the KHL permanently if the lockout goes into next season?
No you train him and license his ass to Budweiser. Refer to my Kabanov story on this issue. Beat it Ruskis.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Better coaches help players work on their weaknesses.

If Yakupov learns to play solid defense he suddenly isn't going to forget how to score. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Hockey players aren't horses. The best players are the ones that can attack and defend, and ones that don't work on their weaknesses don't become the best. I think you must play too much shinny hockey if you actually believe that all scorers should do is focus on offence.

If a player refuses to back check one option is to limit his ice time until he does. Letting players play "me first" hockey is a recipe for a losing hockey club.
I have a simple 'mathematical' equation that proves this, it goes like this...

Forecheck + Backcheck = Paycheque

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Hynh

Anyone else find it odd that there is so much faith in some random KHL coach to teach Yakupov how to be a good defensive winger in the NHL? It would be one thing if the coach was cutting out his defensive zone starts and reducing his playing time that way but to not play him on the PP is straight up self-sabotaging.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I think the coach might be biased because Yaks is a lockout player at this point and he knows hes on a plane if the NHL smartens up.
But even still, not playing Yak on the PP won't help the club in the long term or the short term.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:23 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
floaters who don't score goals = bad

floaters who are damn good at scoring goals = good

when is the last time the Oilers had the second one?
Bucket Head, Klima.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think the coach might be biased because Yaks is a lockout player at this point and he knows hes on a plane if the NHL smartens up.
But even still, not playing Yak on the PP won't help the club in the long term or the short term.
This is the reason, the coach has already hinted to it.

Neftekhimik isn't so talented, so they must rely on chemistry, etc. So why play Yakupov many minutes if it will create a huge void if he leaves for the NHL? The smart action is to keep existing team structure, lines and chemistry intact and use Yakupov in optimal situations.
Btw, Pestushko returning from injury is cutting into Yakupov's PP time.

If it appears the lockout will last all year, you'll very likely see Yakupov's ice time skyrocket.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I feel like I'm in the minority here but I don't mind what the Russian coach is doing, I think it's favorable for us actually. He's giving Yak a short leash so he realizes he can't be a one dimensional offensive player, he needs to play in all three zones to be useful. Also, this is a good way to transition a kid who lit up a junior league into the "real world". Give him a kick in the ass to show him that you have to prove yourself and you can't be entitled, which is an issue I think a lot of young oilers have.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:51 PM
spOiler

If anyone acts entitled its not the kids its the overpaid useless veterans that dont produce squat but want tons of ice time...

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:02 PM
MoneyGuy

Actually, they are producing squat.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote