HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

AAA 2012 Draft

Old
11-22-2012, 03:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Homer!

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:29 PM
seventieslord

To finish off the 4th line, Regina selects an up-and-down winger with the speed and tenacity to be a great forechecker, the temperament to agitate, the offensive record to prove he belongs at this level, and physical fearlessness.... even if he can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

Howie Meeker, RW

- 5'9", 165 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1947, 1948, 1949, 1951)
- 6th in goals, 15th in points (1947)
- Top-10 in Playoff Scoring Twice (8th-1947, 9th-1949)
- During the span of Meeker's six productive seasons (1947-1952), only one undrafted player had more points or a higher PPG average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Meeker played one more year of junior hockey, dividing his time between the Stratford Kroehlers and the Brantford Lions of the OHA before missing the next two years due to military service during World War Two. He was badly injured during his service, when a grenade went off between his legs. Thankfully, he made a full recovery. He returned to hockey for the 1945-46 season at the age of 21, joining the Stratford Indians of the OHA Senior A. In seven games he had eight goals and 13 points. It was this strong play that earned him notice from the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, who proceeded to sign him to a free-agent contract on April 13, 1946. In his rookie year with the Maple Leafs, Meeker appeared in 55 games, scoring 27 goals and 45 points, which was good enough to earn him the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie, beating out other big names including Detroit's Gordie Howe. He also tied the NHL record of most goals scored in one game by a rookie when he scored five against the Chicago Black Hawks on January 8, 1947.

The post season was every bit as successful for Meeker and the Maple Leafs, who went on to win the first of three consecutive Stanley Cup championships. In 1947, Meeker scored four goals and four assists in the playoffs as the Leafs defeated the Montreal Canadiens in the championship finals. In 1948 they upended Howe and the Red Wings in four straight games and turned the same trick again in 1949. Meeker missed a good portion of the 1948-49 regular season due to a collarbone injury, sustained in a practice...

Meeker was a member of a fourth Stanley Cup championship with Toronto, in 1950-51 where they defeated the Canadiens four games to one on the famous overtime Cup winning goal by defenseman Bill Barilko. He played another three years in a Leafs' uniform but never attained the level of offensive success throughout his career that he did in that first rookie season of 1946-47. During his playing days with the Maple Leafs, Meeker was a member of the "Tricky Trio" line with Ted Kennedy and Vic Lynn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia
when Conn Smythe returned to Toronto after serving in Europe during World War II and began rebuilding his Maple leaf hockey club, he emphasized a policy of hard-nosed play. "Nobody," said Smythe, "pops anybody on this club without getting popped back. I'm not interested in hockey players who don't play to win. You can take penalties, but you gotta play to win." Then, Smythe went about the business of finding youngsters who fulfilled his requirements. One of these kids was Howie Meeker, a fighter of the Smythe mold… Meeker helped create the cup winning goal by teammate Bill Barilko. Howie outsped several pursuing Montréal players early in the overtime, captured the puck, and set up teammate Harry Watson…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
With Meeker's tremendous success on radio and television (as well as in print for that matter), it is easy to forget that once upon a time Meeker was a pretty good hockey player in his own right... his promising playing career was cut short...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leafs In Autumn
who would've picked Howie Meeker for future fame in the old days? Not me. I remembered him as the guy who scooted down right wing. He had a funny way of skating. It got him where he was going but it was motion without elegance… Meeker got the job done but looked mildly comical doing it.… Meeker was a sassy little guy with the leafs.

… Here's Babe Pratt, huge and ponderous, slowly skating toward the center ice line at the gardens far behind the rest of the play. Pratt is on the Boston Bruins, but a couple of years earlier he'd been a brief Leaf hero… So here's Pratt trailing the play, which is already moved swiftly from the Boston and belief side, and here's a Meeker skating up behind him. His path carries into practice right side. Pratt doesn't know Meeker's there. Meeker moved close enough to breathe on him. And then, as sudden as an evil wink, out of some mad inspiration, as Meeker passes Pratt he slaps his stick on the back of babes skates. Pratt's feed shoot out from under him like Oliver Hardy executing a pratfall. His bum bounces off the ice, and in the crowd we are all laughing fit to bust. We've seen the joke, but the referee and linesmen and the other players have been tending to business. Their backs were turned. What's with the laughs, they don't know. But we know, and Meeker notes. I'm 15 years old, and I think how easy great guy, a cutup.… "You remember that?" He said. "Well, Pratt had run me into the post at his end of the rink. He didn't do that very often, but he did it this time. So when I came back behind the play, I gave him a wack to get even. It was a foolish thing to do. There was humor in it, you know, a 5 foot 8 guy dumping a 6-foot 4 guy – but foolish. But I own up to it. "

"… Me, I could skate and I could check. I couldn't pass. A lot of us on the team have that affliction. And with the puck, I was a dumb player. I didn't know how to move with the puck, where to go, how to get in position to make the next play.… The line worked for us for as long as Kennedy had the sense to get out ahead of the play and crossed the line before Vic and me... Like I was telling you, he didn't have the legs. Lynn & I did, and with Kennedy firing the puck to us young scooters, we could always pop away at the net. Kennedy wasn't bothered by the affliction the rest of us had. He was a great passer. He kept Lynn & me in the league."

"Gardner was a good stop and go hockey player, Harry went up and down his wing, and I did a lot of checking. We fit together okay."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlay! The Story of the Toronto Maple Leafs
then there was Howie Meeker, from new Hamburg, Ontario, who had survived a grenade blast at his feet during the war and showed the kind of right wing speed that Smythe liked...

... One of those kids was Howie Meeker, a fighter of the Ezinicki mold... Doctors said he'd never play hockey again. But there he was on leafs. Meeker was fast and tough, and he loved to fight with Gordie Howe of Detroit and Tony Leswick of the Rangers. Al Nickelson of the Toronto daily Star described about with Leswick: "the two started shoving, and the action ended when Meeker picked Leswick off in a crotch hold, threw him on the ice with the bodyslam, and, with Meeker atop, Leswick's head hit the ice, leaving him a groggy fellow."
Meeker's hard work was crucial to Barilko's Stanley Cup Winning goal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leafs: An Anecdotal History
on Kennedy's line, the responsibilities were simple. Howie Meeker and Vic Lynn skated – both had excellent strength and speed – and Kennedy passed.

... Gardiner, Meeker and Watson came on as forwards for the leafs.… The puck was in the Montréal zone. Meeker had put it there. Meeker, always a player of hustle and speed, chased after the puck behind the Montréal net and to the right of the goalie… Tom Johnson, Montréal's tall defenseman, fought Meeker for the puck. Meeker won. He popped it in front. Harry Watson, two McNeil left, took a crack at the puck. Nobody's certain whether Watson's shot forced McNeill to make a save or whether the puck bounced off the poster off another Montréal player. What is sure is that, in the next millisecond, McNeil went down, diving to the left corner of the net, while the puck caromed in the opposite direction, in front of the goal to the right side. It was at this point that Bill Barilko seized the moment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey! The Story of the World's Fastest Sport
Meeker, who later was to become a member of Canada's Parliament, was fast and tough and had a congenital desire to fight with Gordie Howe of Detroit and Tony Leswick of the Rangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie: Hockey Legend
one trophy he'd never win was the Calder; for the rookie of the year would be the Maple leafs hustling Howie Meeker, with 27 goals… In one game, little Howie Meeker made the error of mixing it up with the big Howe. As described by the Toronto Star, "Howie swung once and buried his head in Howe's midriff. Gord promptly hit him three on the top of the noggin, raising a set of goose eggs."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stanley's Cup
in game two of the finals Howie Meeker dropped the gloves and bravely fought old elbows… And lost badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Legends
Hap Day, who had scouted Meeker is a Junior, suggested that conn Smythe signed the feisty right winger… He displayed a bit of a temper… Speedy and tough, although not very big… Meeker's numbers were never as good again, but he was a very efficient up-and-down winger for the leafs for the next eight seasons. His line with Kennedy and Lynn was one of the best two-way lines in the league.

The year after his great rookie season, Meeker went in to negotiate a new contract with smite. He thought his demand for a $1500 raise was very reasonable, but learned that Smythe was tracking his progress when the boss informed him that his plus minus numbers were not very good. Meeker was not even aware the statistic existed and smite had to explain how it was reached… Smythe said that the game films showed that Chicago's Roy Conacher in particular had gotten the better of him during the 1947-48 season. Meeker still got $1000 out of Smythe, but he asked to see the film so he could improve his game. He learned to check Conacher from viewing the tapes and ended up +5 by the time the 1948-49 season was over.
Meeker actually welcomed fights with Lindsay - but not because Lindsay was a box of cherries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It There, Back It up!
Oddly enough, the two wings I tangled with on an almost daily basis were Howe and Lindsay. Despite their being tough, mean players, I had no personal grudge with them, or at least not until after several battles. There were other wings I wanted to have a go at but somehow wound up with the big two– Lucky me. It seemed I would always start swinging with Lindsay and then partway through Howe would step in and take over... Terrible Ted played left-wing and I played right so we were nose to nose most of the night. He was not big but he was mean, tough, and strong so sooner or later one of us bad tempered little battlers would start something with the other. Ted more often than not pummeled me on an equal basis and hardly needed any help from Gordie. But all of a sudden I looked up and there was the big fella. With Gordie I'd swing but he connected. Like I've said before, Gordie and I seldom actually fought. Gordie fought – I just took the ****-kickings. As insane as it may sound, I was relieved whenever I started to scrap with Ted and Gordie didn't step in and pound me into submission. Better Ted than dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Gee, It's Me!
Howie demonstrated more than just a scoring knack. He let the entire league know his diminutive size would not impede him or his feisty style of play. Indeed, he tossed his 160 pound frame around with reckless abandon, took on all challengers, and by year end had amassed 79 penalty minutes, 10th most in the league. How we dropped his gloves a number of times that first year, sometimes standing up to a challenge, other times just being an obnoxious, pugnacious pest. The latter behavior embroiled him in one of his while the scraps that season. Former Maple leaf Billy Taylor, a player Howie actually admired, was the target of his bad attitude that night.

"Billy was a hell of a nice guy, didn't fight a lot. I guess I was on him most of the night and he finally gave me a whack with the stick. I popped it back, he punched me with his glove, and away we went. It just escalated from there. Next thing we were really flailing away on the ice. They split us up and sent us to the penalty box. Taylor was just yapping at me and I was steaming mad. Next thing I know I feel this hard thump on my shoulder – he'd reached over the timekeeper and gate and punched me. Luckily I'd moved and he nailed my shoulder. If he'd hit me with that punch he'd taken my head off. Well, I wasn't taking that nonsense and I went after him. Next thing you know the bench is flooded with players, linesmen, ushers, a couple of fans, and finally about a dozen cops. It was wild, just simply wild. Poor Billy, I don't know what I did to make and so pissed off…"

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:32 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Yea thats why I wrote that he isnt a terrible goalie.

Edit: Although I disagree that goalies in the playoffs are some sort of proof of how good they are. Any above avergare goalie can catch fire for one playoffs and be great. Esche did it in 04 and Boucher (who I think its a bit better) did it in 01 and I wouldnt even call what they did taking a team to anything. They were competent and at times exceptional.
I agree that judging goalies too harshly or generously based on their playoff records when they are such small sample sizes is risky business. Most of the time it doesn't prove much more than they got hot or cold at the right time.

My point was, you don't get as far as the Flyers did with Esche and Boucher if they're horrible, and that Cechmanek was much better than them, ergo, he could not have been horrible himself.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
To finish off the 4th line, Regina selects an up-and-down winger with the speed and tenacity to be a great forechecker, the temperament to agitate, the offensive record to prove he belongs at this level, and physical fearlessness.... even if he can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

Howie Meeker, RW
Nice. I'm pumped!

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:42 AM
Dreakmur

Just found something interesting about Leo Reise, Sr., and wanted to make sure it wasn't burried in his bio. He was apparently one of the faster skaters of his era. Despite his size and bulk, it seems that he could fly.

According to a Pittsburgh Press newspaper article in 1931, "Leo Reise is regarded as one of the fastest skaters in hockey. He has beaten Howie Morenz the phantom of the Canadiens in speed contests the have engaged in."

Old
11-23-2012, 06:21 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

The St.John's Monsters select defenseman Abbie Newell

A defenseman from the early eras of the game, Newell was a good offensive defenseman and should provide offense to my blueline.

Next has been pmed.

11-23-2012, 08:35 AM
jkrx

Steelers uses their skipped pick on a rich mans Dandenault, Alex Motter, D/W

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Steelers uses their skipped pick on a rich mans Dandenault, Alex Motter, D/W

looks like D/C, according to HR:

1936: D/C
1937: C
1938: C
1939: D
1940: D
1941: D
1942: D

Old
11-23-2012, 10:31 AM
jkrx

Quote:
looks like D/C, according to HR:

1936: D/C
1937: C
1938: C
1939: D
1940: D
1941: D
1942: D
I find that a bit iffy although he could play C. Might aswell make it D/F. A very versatile skater so the least.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Rob Scuderi

I lied, Bert Lindsay was long gone. I'll take G, Hec Fowler instead.

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 11-23-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:43 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I'll take G, Bert Lindsay

The father of Terrible Ted played in net for the stacked Renfrew Creamery Kings before moving to the PCHA. He was also selected by the Edmonton Professionals in 1909 as one of six ringers to help challenge for the Stanley Cup against the Wanderers.
too good to be true... he was the backup goalie for your last 1st round opponent.

Old
11-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
too good to be true... he was the backup goalie for your last 1st round opponent.
Shows how closely I followed that series

At least it wasn't another ATDer like Bouse Hutton

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
seventieslord

Hec Fowler is a good pick. I had him right there with Forbes, Robertson, and Winkler heading into this draft (and Lindsay is probably right in that class, as well) - in the end Dreakmur and I didn't know enough about him but his name came up a lot.

I'd really like to see a comprehensive comparison of these five 1900-1940 losing record goalies, as there's plenty of evidence suggesting they were all good despite their records. I couldn't even begin to guess who would come out on top.

I think I'll start by asking Iain Fyffe for what his point allocation system says about them.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:25 PM
seventieslord

BudsBuster emailed me to say he would like to select Toni Lydman, D with his skipped pick.

Lydman is an excellent pick… 800 games, 21 minutes a game without PP time, great defensive stats... he was on my “damn shame” list, as in, it would be a damn shame if he slipped past this draft. that list is now 10 defensemen long.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Fort Saskatchewan selects D Larry Cahan

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:57 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The Macon Whoopee use our makeup pick to select Matt Cooke, LW.

(and yes, VI, I see what you did there!)

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:56 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
(and yes, VI, I see what you did there!)
that's me updating the draft list.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:04 PM
jkrx

Do ChaosRevolver really have six picks to make up for?

Old
11-23-2012, 07:30 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Do ChaosRevolver really have six picks to make up for?
7 now, I believe.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:40 PM
jkrx

Quote:
7 now, I believe.
Well atleast he has drafted his top-6, top-4 and a starter.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Well atleast he has drafted his top-6, top-4 and a starter.
I'd get someone like overpass to come in and make his picks, but chaos has been here in the last couple of days and checked in, and also this happened once before and we made his picks for him and he finally came back and was none too pleased. So I'm giving him the extra benefit of the doubt that he never got the last time... he has been in enough drafts.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Jim Conacher for Utah's skipped pick.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Johnny Engine

And I'll take a true underdog, a guy who was constantly stealing starters jobs from more highly regarded goalies, with 3 top 10s in save percentage and one league-best GAA, but mostly a really funny name:

Ron Tugnutt!

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Eisbaren Berlin selects coach Jimmy Skinner

and D Zarley Zalapski, who logged some big minutes over his career in addition to being a strong offensive defenseman, with an adjusted PPG of .565 over 637 games.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
and D Zarley Zalapski, who logged some big minutes over his career in addition to being a strong offensive defenseman, with an adjusted PPG of .565 over 637 games.
Good pick.

We considered him when we took Poti. Zalapski definately had the best offensive resume among defesnemen when we made the Poti selection, but we wanted somebody to run our PP, and that's not something we would have wanted Zalapski doing.