HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Hitchcock: bad movie
Hopkins: nothing special
Mirren: good

Academy Award potential: for makeup (though Hopkins never looks much like Hitchcock) and, maybe, Mirren gets an actress nod in a slow year (but if she gets a nomination and Riva doesn't, there is no justice in the world).

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 500
I just saw Silver Linings Playbook. Although I found the movie a little bit too sappy, Cooper, Lawrence and De Niro were awesome. I like Cooper more than DDL, like others have mentioned and I speculated. For me, its between Cooper and Phoenix right now.

Last edited by P U L L H A R D: 11-24-2012 at 04:42 AM.
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:43 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Hitchcock: bad movie
Hopkins: nothing special
Mirren: good

Academy Award potential: for makeup (though Hopkins never looks much like Hitchcock) and, maybe, Mirren gets an actress nod in a slow year (but if she gets a nomination and Riva doesn't, there is no justice in the world).
I think the real question is - how much of Scarlett do we get to see?

Old
11-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Pattysaurus

Caught Silver Linings Playbook last night. Liked the movie but liked the book more. I do think that Cooper, Lawrence and De Niro will all be nominated but don't expect any of them to win.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattysaurus View Post
Caught Silver Linings Playbook last night. Liked the movie but liked the book more. I do think that Cooper, Lawrence and De Niro will all be nominated but don't expect any of them to win.
I don't think Cooper or De Niro will win, but Jennifer Lawrence seems to have a pretty good chance. I would love to see her win, as I really do think she should have brought home a trophy for Winter's Bone. I watched that film again for the first time since it first came out, and that performance has only strengthened since I've seen her in other things. So understated and strong. That's a terrific movie all around.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Pattysaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I don't think Cooper or De Niro will win, but Jennifer Lawrence seems to have a pretty good chance. I would love to see her win, as I really do think she should have brought home a trophy for Winter's Bone. I watched that film again for the first time since it first came out, and that performance has only strengthened since I've seen her in other things. So understated and strong. That's a terrific movie all around.
I do think she has the best chance. I need to check out Winter's Bone - I've heard very good things.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:28 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I think the real question is - how much of Scarlett do we get to see?
Not much. One cute (clothed) tush shot, and that's about it. Not so cute a shot that you want to spend money to see this film, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattysaurus View Post
I realize that we're still only in November, but I think Lawrence is already a lock to win the Oscar. Hollywood loves her and she has the chops to be this generation's Meryl Streep.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Stu Macher

She would be the youngest woman to ever win for Best Lead Actress, right? I think when she was nominated for Winter's Bone, she was the second youngest, behind Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider.

Edit: Looks like she just missed out, Marlee Matlin was less than 22 when she won for Children of a Lesser God. Lawrence would be the second youngest winner.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:22 AM
kihei

Quote:
She would be the youngest woman to ever win for Best Lead Actress, right? I think when she was nominated for Winter's Bone, she was the second youngest, behind Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider.

Edit: Looks like she just missed out, Marlee Matlin was less than 22 when she won for Children of a Lesser God. Lawrence would be the second youngest winner.
Third, I think. Janet Gaynor will edge her out for second by the time the Oscars roll around. (Just checked and I'm wrong: Lawrence will edge out Gaynor by a bit)

Old
11-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Agree 100%. Her and Hawkes (would have been happy with Rush as well) both should have won that year.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Agree 100%. Her and Hawkes (would have been happy with Rush as well) both should have won that year.
After seeing it again, I do think Hawkes should have won. But as we know, subtle performances don't win as often as they should, especially in supporting roles, where a big explosive standout usually wins.

That's a reason why I think Jennifer Lawrence has such a great chance of winning for Silver Linings Playbook, which is a much more out there character, more emotionally explosive than the more stoic Ree from Winter's Bone. They are both fantastic performances, which is a testament to her range as an actress. I agree with Kihei when he says she has the ability to be the next Meryl Streep. She's young, beautiful, and I think we've only seen the tip of her mountainous talent.

She's knocked a few very tough roles out, and has shown the ability to ground things beyond most performers of her age; for example, The Hunger Games, where she brought a level of gravitas to something that could have been just an exercise in money making. She's certainly become somebody who will make me go to the theater just by her name being on the marquee. I was happy to see that next year, she will be appearing in a film by Susanne Bier, starring alongside Bradley Cooper, who she had such wonderful chemistry with in Silver Linings Playbook.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Rush or Hawkes over Bale, I couldn't agree with you more. But "should have won" for Lawrence seems way too strong to me. I thought Natalie Portman in Black Swan was excellent, a deserving winner, though my pick was Nicole Kidman for Rabbit Hole slightly over Michelle Williams for Blue Valentine. For that matter, Annette Bening was good in The Kids Are Alright. With a slate of superlative performances like that, I don't think anybody should have won. They could have pulled a name out of a hat and I wouldn't have complained too much.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:34 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Rush or Hawkes over Bale, I couldn't agree with you more. But "should have won" for Lawrence seems way too strong to me. I thought Natalie Portman in Black Swan was excellent, a deserving winner, though my pick was Nicole Kidman for Rabbit Hole slightly over Michelle Williams for Blue Valentine. For that matter, Annette Bening was good in The Kids Are Alright. With a slate of superlative performances like that, I don't think anybody should have won. They could have pulled a name out of a hat and I wouldn't have complained too much.
This. I was rooting for Nat because I personally liked Black Swan the most, and liked her performance the best, but they were all stellar and deserving.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Stu Macher

I liked Natalie Portman in Black Swan, but felt it was a bit more uneven than some of the others (even though I know her instability is a major part of the movie). Although I have some problems, the scene where she calls her mom to tell her she got the part alone takes away any real negative energy I'd have towards the decision. That is such a great moment from her.

I did appreciate Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone way more seeing it again after these other films of hers. In 2010, I had no idea who she was, so for all I knew, it was one of those times when the filmmakers found a non-actor to just "be themselves". Now it makes me think of Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves, somebody who came out of nowhere and gave this gut wrenching performance, and eventually we learn they're nothing like that character.

I'm not putting Lawrence in Winter's Bone in quite the same pantheon as Watson in Breaking the Waves, which I think is one of the very greatest performances I've ever seen. But it is so fantastic in its own right.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Stu Macher

Actually, you mentioning Annette Bening in The Kids are All Right reminds me of another young actress that I think has terrific potential, Mia Wasikowska. She just has to stop being the best thing in bad movies. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what she does in Stoker next year.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Ya that is fair. I personally didn't like Black Swan at all so I wasn't thrilled with Portman winning. I would have prefered seeing Lawrence or Williams win but I can live with it. Bale on the the other hand just felt way over the top to me and I was really disappointed with him winning.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:50 PM
SB164

I watched Lawless recently. Plot-wise, it was very thin, full of inconsistencies, and a bit all over the place without any central direction. But man, Tom Hardy is a special actor. There's a Brando-like quality to him, magnetic and full of intensity. He's bound to win an Oscar one day.

Quote:
She's knocked a few very tough roles out, and has shown the ability to ground things beyond most performers of her age; for example, The Hunger Games, where she brought a level of gravitas to something that could have been just an exercise in money making.
I may have been one of the few people who went to see The Hunger Games not because it was based on a popular series of novels (have yet to read them) or for the action, but for Jennifer Lawrence. She's just simply incredible. Naturally gifted, young, and beautiful. I'd really like to see her work alongside some of the top directors. Maybe David Fincher.

Last edited by SB164: 11-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:52 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I watch Lawless recently. Plot-wise, it was very thin, full of inconsistencies, and a bit all over the place without any central direction. But man, Tom Hardy is a special actor. There's a Brando-like quality to him, magnetic and full of intensity. He's bound to win an Oscar one day.
Couldn't agree more. Film was obviously just a fun ride, but it had some cool performances, too. Hardy and Pierce are awesome in it.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
I watch Lawless recently. Plot-wise, it was very thin, full of inconsistencies, and a bit all over the place without any central direction. But man, Tom Hardy is a special actor. There's a Brando-like quality to him, magnetic and full of intensity. He's bound to win an Oscar one day.
I actually really, really, really don't like Lawless. There is very little about that movie that I do like, other than the aforementioned Mia Wasikowska. It's a shame, because I really like The Proposition quite a bit.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:05 PM
SB164

Have any of you ever delayed watching a film because you know it might take a slight toll on you emotionally? I'm having this dilemma with Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Have any of you ever delayed watching a film because you know it'll be very "heavy" emotionally? I'm having this dilemma with watch Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon.
I haven't had issues with the idea of a movie being too heavy emotionally (except maybe Errol Morris' Gates of Heaven, because I'm very sensitive to the idea of pets dying). I have put things off that I feel will be difficult to get through for other reasons, like pacing.

I think The White Ribbon is fantastic, but then again, I've loved everything by Haneke that I've seen.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
SB164

Quote:
I actually really, really, really don't like Lawless. There is very little about that movie that I do like, other than the aforementioned Mia Wasikowska. It's a shame, because I really like The Proposition quite a bit.
So did I. Naturally, I had high expectations for the Lawless. Thoughts on Tom Hardy's performance?

Mia Wasikowska was also very impressive in The Kids Are Alright. Would love to see work alongside the talented Rooney Mara, those two could pass for sisters.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:49 PM
kihei

Quote:
Have any of you ever delayed watching a film because you know it might take a slight toll on you emotionally? I'm having this dilemma with Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon.
Oh, sweet jesus, yes. I stayed away for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly for the longest time, and when I saw it, I felt a fool because it was such a good movie. Still haven't seen Life is Beautiful, though that's partly because it sounds like it might be a little too sentimental for my taste, too. I have mixed feelings about The White Ribbon, though. If you post your review when you see it, we can bat them around a bit. Amour is by far my favourite Haneke movie, followed by Cache.

Last edited by kihei: 11-24-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
So did I. Naturally, I had high expectations for the Lawless. Thoughts on Tom Hardy's performance?

Mia Wasikowska was also very impressive in The Kids Are Alright. Would love to see work alongside the talented Rooney Mara, those two could pass for sisters.
I think Tom Hardy certainly has a nice presence, but I wish he would tone down the accent a bit. It's hard to fully embrace a performance when you can't understand 60-70 percent of the words coming out of his mouth. My favorite Tom Hardy performance is probably his supporting role in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. But to be fair I have not seen Bronson, and know he gets a lot of hype for that.

Mia Wasikowska is impressive in The Kids Are All Right, albeit in a role that isn't as big as I thought it should be. She is also very good in Season 1 of In Treatment, and she does a lot to try to make Gus Van Sant's Restless watchable.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
I think Tom Hardy certainly has a nice presence, but I wish he would tone down the accent a bit. It's hard to fully embrace a performance when you can't understand 60-70 percent of the words coming out of his mouth. My favorite Tom Hardy performance is probably his supporting role in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. But to be fair I have not seen Bronson, and know he gets a lot of hype for that.

Mia Wasikowska is impressive in The Kids Are All Right, albeit in a role that isn't as big as I thought it should be. She is also very good in Season 1 of In Treatment, and she does a lot to try to make Gus Van Sant's Restless watchable.
Watch Bronson asap. No regrets will be had this day.