HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Rangers' best defensive defenseman?

View Poll Results: Who is the Rangers' best defensive defenseman?
Girardi 20 15.75%
Staal 61 48.03%
McDonagh 45 35.43%
Other 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Staal. He's our leader on the blueline and his play reflects that status.

That makes no sense.
As he is practically just as good as Staal, and two years younger, he has more room to grow. Sense.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
As he is practically just as good as Staal, and two years younger, he has more room to grow. Sense.
It does makes sense, but that's not the question.

I still answered McDonagh, because I think he's better defensively. Staal is great defensively before his concussion, but McDonagh has been unreal.

11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Calad
Section 422

People who are saying Staal not close, I think are wrong. McD made huge strides last year and his skating ability (see the gif Tortorella posted) are a huge asset to his D. I still think its Staal because of the way he can physically dominate anyone he covers, but McD is catching up to him for sure.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Its Staal for me if the question is strictly defense.

McDonagh is on his way to becoming a special player and its entirely possible he'll surpass Staal in the defensive end very soon, but he ain't there yet.

Girardi? I like the guy - good story and a good player, but one of the more overrated Rangers in recent memory. Hes greatly benefited from playing with the 2 guys above the majority of his career.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its Staal for me if the question is strictly defense.

McDonagh is on his way to becoming a special player and its entirely possible he'll surpass Staal in the defensive end very soon, but he ain't there yet.

Girardi? I like the guy - good story and a good player, but one of the more overrated Rangers in recent memory. Hes greatly benefited from playing with the 2 guys above the majority of his career.
Sorry, but the "Girardi is overrated" **** needs to end. Do you think McDonagh would have been as good without Girardi last season? It goes both ways. Girardi is a warrior and is not overrated by any means. Sure, Staal and McDonagh are better, but to say that they make Girardi seem better than he actually is, is just stupid IMO.

Like I said, it goes both ways.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Sorry, but the "Girardi is overrated" **** needs to end. Do you think McDonagh would have been as good without Girardi last season? It goes both ways. Girardi is a warrior and is not overrated by any means. Sure, Staal and McDonagh are better, but to say that they make Girardi seem better than he actually is, is just stupid IMO.

Like I said, it goes both ways.
Absolutely - McDonagh was lights out with Sauer in his rookie year. Staal, when he started coming around from his concussion made Stu Bickel look like a capable NHL player.

This is not a slight at Girardi, but he is overrated. Hes a guy thats been great stepping in as a first pairing type of guy, but he needs help to do it.. Hes excelled at playing the Robin to McDonagh or Staal's Batman.

Hockey is not a sport where a play or two defines anything, and I hate doing it, but Im not the least bit surprised Girardi and Del Zotto were on the ice together for the biggest goal against all season (game 5 vs. Devils - Ryan Carter's game winner). It was indicative of how shaky both of those guys have been when not paired with rocks like McDonagh and Staal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I do think Danny G is a bit overrated defensively (especially during the second half of last season), but he's still a very good d-man. Complementing two top tier guys like Marc and McD is not a bad thing, especially since his contract is so reasonable.

What amazes me about Girardi is how much of a trooper he is. I can't believe he played all 82 games, at the minutes he was playing, with some of the damage he took. I hate saying he's overrated because I love him and he works so, so well on this team- I just don't think he could anchor a top pair alone like Staal or McDonagh could. However, he doesn't "fake" it on the top pairing when he has guys like that next to him, he fits there just fine.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Staal and McD are neck and neck, giving Staal the slight edge right now, but McD should take over by the next season. Especially when his offense really starts peaking through more.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

A healthy Staal makes it very close, but I say McDonagh.

Both have incredible sense, but McDonagh is the better athlete.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
McDonagh. His speed is the X-factor between him and Staal.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:44 PM
darko

Staal.

McD and Girardi aren't too far behind. We are lucky to have 3 guys this good.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

I love all 3 so it doesnt matter to me... we have 3 really, really good defensemen.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:59 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I voted McD because I think he's neck and neck with Staal right now and will surpass him, most likely whenever our next hockey season is. The three of them are so close it's not even funny, but I have to say, I think McDonagh will get better still and eventually be the clear #1 of the group, which is pretty astounding.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I love all 3 so it doesnt matter to me... we have 3 really, really good defensemen.
4, actually

Old
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
Voted Staal, but it's close between him and McDonagh. Down the road, however, the answer will definitely be McDonagh.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

People need to re-read the thread. "Best defensive dmen". McD is a damn good player and has a great career ahead of him but he's nowhere near as reliable, or dominant as a defense men than Staal.

Marc's been a nightmare for his opposition for years now. The reach and wingspan. His strength down low. His ability to move traffic in front of Henrik. He's been flat out dominant inside that blue-line.

The guy doesn't lose 1-on-1 battles. His gap-control is absolutely exceptional, and his zone-coverage is text book. He has this nifty toolbox that gets him out of trouble or stifles the forechecker.

McDonagh lacks the strength down low, and gets pushed around a little too much around the net. He'll fill out and improve this area of the game but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Marc when it comes down to defending.

If we're up a goal with 30 seconds left in the game and there's a defensive faceoff, would anyone really play McD over Marc? It's a no brainer who the better defensive dmen is.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:59 PM
CM PUNK

gotta love the fact that danny g who is an allstar, ****ing warrior and plays great no matter who is partner is gets almost no respect compared to staal and mcdonagh. and i say that i love it cause it just shows you how good our blueline is

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
gotta love the fact that danny g who is an allstar, ****ing warrior and plays great no matter who is partner is gets almost no respect compared to staal and mcdonagh. and i say that i love it cause it just shows you how good our blueline is
And not even in this poll is Del Zotto. Man we're awesome!

Old
11-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
People need to re-read the thread. "Best defensive dmen". McD is a damn good player and has a great career ahead of him but he's nowhere near as reliable, or dominant as a defense men than Staal.

Marc's been a nightmare for his opposition for years now. The reach and wingspan. His strength down low. His ability to move traffic in front of Henrik. He's been flat out dominant inside that blue-line.

The guy doesn't lose 1-on-1 battles. His gap-control is absolutely exceptional, and his zone-coverage is text book. He has this nifty toolbox that gets him out of trouble or stifles the forechecker.

McDonagh lacks the strength down low, and gets pushed around a little too much around the net. He'll fill out and improve this area of the game but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Marc when it comes down to defending.

If we're up a goal with 30 seconds left in the game and there's a defensive faceoff, would anyone really play McD over Marc? It's a no brainer who the better defensive dmen is.
I find it absolutely laughable that you claim McDonagh is miles behind Staal defensively. At best, they're both a wash, with the edge to McDonagh with his dominant skating stride.

And for your last point, I give you this:

Is Staal even out there? During dying moments of a one goal lead in game 7?

Looks like Torts trusts the inferior McDonagh in this pressure situation.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Shark Staal

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 03:22 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I find it absolutely laughable that you claim McDonagh is miles behind Staal defensively. At best, they're both a wash, with the edge to McDonagh with his dominant skating stride.

I agree with this and disagree that McD gets pushed around at all. He's stronger than Staal. Staal gets more highlight reel hits but McD is stronger on his skates and in front of the net. McD is also a couple inches shorter than Staal but about 20lbs heavier... and still much faster. And I'm pretty sure I would go with McD in the final 30 seconds of a game... not that you could go wrong either way. I agree they're pretty much a wash. Staalsie could have a slight edge for now, but it won't be long. McD is going to be our best defensive d-man and put up 35-40 points a year, hopefully for a long, long time. He's a rare(r) and special(er ) defenseman, unlike anyone we've developed, even Marc Staal and, personally, I think he's going to be a guy whose top 10 in Norris voting annually from here on out and may even be a finalist at some point in his career.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

My last point isn't disputed by a youtube clip. Only a fool would assume that. You're obviously ignoring things like, who's Marc's partner? Was Marc rested? Staal was on the ice at the start of the video.

And where did I say McDonagh's miles behind Staal's defensive play? Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm as much a fan of McDonagh as anyone here, but I'm not going to lie to myself and say his defensive play has reached the level that Marc's has. I've yet to see Ryan be a shutdown, dominant dmen that Staal has proven a number of times.

It's the shiny new toy syndrome, and you, just like many other guys here are quick to forget things.

If you honestly believe Marc's and Ryan's defensive capability's are a wash, then it's safe to say your focusing on all the wrong things, or maybe your not keen to certain details. Regardless, it's a no-brainer who the better defensive dman is.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
He's stronger than Staal.
Swing and a miss. Not even close.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Presenting ones own opinion, dismissively and condescendingly... did you have to practice that? Or did you just mistakenly think that was an amicable way to discuss things with fellow fans? I disagree with your opinion. I'm not going to be a dbag about it. I feel McDonagh is almost undeniably physically stronger. I also can't understand how you can say he's never shown he can be a dominant shut down dman. We almost unanimously agree he's better than Girardi and the two of them were talked about quite a bit last season as the best shutdown pairing in the league. Either way, I don't care that you disagree; there is no definitive "right" answer and I'm sure we both think we're PhD's in hockey analysis, so neither of us is likely to change the others mind. Just don't be an ass about it.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

if the Rangers can get McDonagh for Gomez imagine what they can get for Gaborik if they decide to trade him..having said that McDonagh is more well rounded than the 3 but best defensively im gonna say Staal..Girardi is a solid defensive dman but isnt as smart on the ice at times as McDonagh and Staal is.. i hope that makes some sense..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote